• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    No standard, really.
    Just as long as it's representative of what you're trying to convey.
    My Star Wars Main Theme clip some games back was half a second long. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    That's awesome, Peter! It appears you've taken an unbeatable lead. smile

I certainly hope so. punk

Martijn wrote
    No standard, really.
    Just as long as it's representative of what you're trying to convey.
    My Star Wars Main Theme clip some games back was half a second long. smile

Agreed.

Wasn't your Star Wars clip just a second long? I found it quite funny that it was so extremely short, yet so recognizable.

Peter wink
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    Trying to think of angle for these Guessing games, it occurred to me that I should base all my games around the use of particular musical forms in film scores. So:

'Would you care to dance?'

How about a little Waltz?

Going through iTunes and pulling out clips of waltzes from the history of cinema gave me 90 to choose from just from those cds I'd ripped. Here is a selection of some of the finest. An ode to the ongoing love affair of our favourite film composers with three quarter notes to the bar. (Or two six eighth notes...) wink

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    Clip 4
    Clip 5
    Clip 6
    Clip 7
    Clip 8
    Clip 9
    Clip 10
    Clip 11
    Clip 12
    Clip 13
    Clip 14
    Clip 15
    Clip 16

1 point for score, 1 for composer, and 1 for track. 48 points to be had in all, plus...

Bonus

Hint: Only FOUR of the track titles feature the word 'waltz'. Don't worry, you iTunes search masters. I made sure of that.

Is there none who will challenge me? Or Peter, really.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay okay I'll give it a go Michael but I won't be threatening any top place?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorReza
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    plindboe wrote

Reza wrote
    Sindbad... when it was out the reviews were good so I bought it almost immediately but then found that I agree 100% with Tom Daish's review in Soundtrack Express, never heard it ever since.

Perhaps you should give it another chance. smile Somehow it has become one of my alltime favorite scores. I find there are several memorable themes, and I don't think, from reading Tom's undetailed review, that he played the disc more than a couple of times before writing it. Of course it could just be a taste issue, and it's simply not your kind of score, but giving it another try might prove worthwhile.

Maybe I'll listen to it again, but first I have to memorize every note of The Mummy hehe biggrin
    Viva Elfman! <http://www.geocities.com/s129002kl>
  2. A good score for Reza, and also for Bregt, who both join the list of people who have dared to dance.

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - Bregt - 12 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - AntiNeutrino - 8 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points

Interesting observation: No-one has picked any info for track 4 yet. I would have thought if any Golden Age composer could be identified by ear, it would be that one. Nor clip 15, which is my favourite score of the 1990s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    2nd place.
    cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    Is Tommy_Boy going to retract his awnsers now? biggrin
  3. BobdH wrote
    Is Tommy_Boy going to retract his awnsers now? biggrin

Damn, next time wait until Bregt has answered until you make your stand Tommy_Boy biggrin
    This brings me in a tight spot

Should I drop out or go for the 2nd place? rolleyes
    Bregt damn you, good job buddy wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. This game's really difficult. I had a highpoint with 3 clips in the middle that I recognised but apart from that...nothing!

I'll be interested to see what constituted "classic" in this set!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    This game's really difficult. I had a highpoint with 3 clips in the middle that I recognised but apart from that...nothing!

I'll be interested to see what constituted "classic" in this set!

Well, a 'classic' in my opinion anyway. wink

There are 8 clips from 7 scores that I think are pretty safe to call classics. But you tell me afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael, when is this game going to end? I still hadn't had the opportunity to try 'em out!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. I'll keep the clips up until next Wednesday night.
  7. Some serious competition creeping into the game, as Bregt edges towards Peter's score. Are four days enough to find the points he needs to take it out?

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - BhelPuri - 12 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some serious competition creeping into the game, as Bregt edges towards Peter's score. Are four days enough to find the points he needs to take it out?

I might have to send in some more guesses if Bregt comes too close. wink I think I know who composed cue 4.

Peter smile
  8. plindboe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some serious competition creeping into the game, as Bregt edges towards Peter's score. Are four days enough to find the points he needs to take it out?

I might have to send in some more guesses if Bregt comes too close. wink I think I know who composed cue 4.

Peter smile

Do it, send them, don't let Bregt win biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    Don't worry, I will not let him win.

Peter wink
  9. Since many are probably experiencing the after effects of a late night, I will give a little more time before I post answers. This time two days from now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    Sweet, this way i might be able to give them a spin! I SO much want to 'cause i know Michael's set's gonna be full of gems but the dial-up is killing me, plus i haven't been around much lately! Will try my best to send in my (possible) 2 or 3 guesses ( biggrin ) tomorrow!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. I'll try and put my 9 points on the board tomorrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Alright! I sent in an update. Hope to get a nice chunk there.

I'll agree with what's been said earlier-- these are very good scores.

Franz,
    If you have the time, when you put out the answers could you try to highlight what the composer's signature is from each cue? That would really be interesting (and helpful too)!
  11. Sure BP!

Sorry that a few pm's have gone unanswered guys. I've been away from internet access for a couple of days, and won't get to read them for another half a day or so.
  12. Someone is coming very close to Peter's score... No-one is safe when there's a waltz going on...

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Falkirkbairn - 11 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points

Answers in 24 hours! Get them in if you haven't yet. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    Demetris, no!!! You're letting me down! shocked

Quite literally shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bob, don't worry. I have 0 points. And I took about 30 guesses... slant
  13. Hi Bregje - hope it doesn't look like I was snubbing you on the list. I wanted to wait until you at least 1 point before putting a score up. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregje wrote

Few biggrin

Nah, I don't really mind, of course wink And no shame, this one really is hard! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    Bregje wrote

Few biggrin

Few? I thought it was many. tongue

franz conrad wrote:
    Hi Bregje - hope it doesn't look like I was snubbing you on the list. I wanted to wait until you at least 1 point before putting a score up. smile

No, no, it didn't look like that. And I am convinced I will get that one point after my last try.
    biggrin
  14. Bregje makes a late run for the crown!

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Falkirkbairn - 11 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    - Bregje - 4 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hmm, better send it some guesses to secure my first place. I don't win this game often, so I miss that feeling of being a winner.

Peter wink