• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    I think I will have to lie down and take a beating from Bhel Puri on this one. wink

Oh no, man! On your feet, soldier! Move your sorry ass!! That´s what you´re paid for, you... ehm...

Forget it. BhelPuri has beaten the crap out of us...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Game over! The end results are:

punk 1.BhelPuri: 32 points punk
    2.franz_conrad: 30 points
    3.Ralph Kruhm: 21½ points
    4.Antineutrino: 18½ points
    5.Thor: 17½
    6.Bregje: 14 points
    7.FalkirkBairn: 13½ points
    7.Martijn: 13½ points
    9.BobdH: 12 points
    10.Bregt: 10 points
    11.Reza: 9 points
    12.Christodoulides: 7 points

I hope I counted them all correctly, as there were alot of posts and guesses to handle. wink

And the correct answers were:

Easy (1 point)
    -01- Elmer Bernstein (9) - The hallelujah trail (9) - The hallelujah trail (9)
    -02- Hans Zimmer (12) - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead man's chest (10) - The kraken (8)
    -03- Harry Gregson-Williams (5) - Sinbad: Legend of the seven seas (5) - Into the sunset (4)
    -04- Jerry Goldsmith (7) - The mummy (6) - The sand volcano (3)
    -05- Elliot Goldenthal (9) - Final fantasy: The spirits within (9) - Adagio and transfiguration (8)

Medium (1½ point)
    -06- Basil Poledouris (1) - The legend of Butch & Sundance (1) - Train robbery/Funeral (0)
    -07- Trevor Jones (5) - Cleopatra (5) - To speed you on your way (4)
    -08- Alan Silvestri (2) - The mexican (1) - A miracle (1)
    -09- Toto (2) - Dune (2) - Final dream (2)
    -10- James Newton Howard (1) - The fugitive (1) - The fugitive theme (1)

Hard (2 points)
    -11- Wojciech Kilar (2) - Smuga cienia (2) - Temat filmowy (2)
    -12- Georges Delerue (0) - An almost perfect affair (0) - Bicycle thief (0)
    -13- Cynthia Miller (0) - Three wishes (0) - End credits (0)
    -14- Ángel Illarramendi (3) - Yoyes (3) - Transcurre la espera (2)
    -15- Dave Grusin (2) - Dinner with friends (1) - Dinner with friends (1)

Bonus (5 points)
    -Bonus- Andrea Morricone - L'inchiesta (1) - Cristianità

The Bernstein one, I put in for fun and to give everyone points, because they are singing "Hallelujah trail" repeatedly, loudly and majestically, so I thought everyone would have guessed the cue was from "Hallelujah trail". wink It also surprised me that only 5 people guessed the "Sinbad" score, as I thought it was one of those scores that everyone knew well. I think many recognized it though, but couldn't quite place it. I guess the Poledouris cue should have been a hard one, since the score hasn't had a CD release, but have only been made available online on the official Poledouris site. I believe it was his last score.

A few people guessed Ennio Morricone for track 8, which just shows how excellent Silvestri's homage to Morricone is. Delerue was guessed for cues 11, 13 and 14, but curiously no one guessed it for cue 12. Another one no one guessed was Cynthia Millar's wonderful music for "Three wishes". She's quite an obscure composer, but that score is well worth checking out, as I think people can hear from that cue. I'm also glad many people liked the bonus. Morricone's son, Andrea, is an excellent composer, and "L'inchiesta" is just a brilliant score from start to end. I hope reviewers and fans will soon discover it, as I've never seen this gem mentioned before.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Pffff. tongue
    Kazoo

2. Ah! I should have recognised these. I've heard all four scores at least once. In each case, a big 'of course!' from me. wink

I will edit my clips tonight and send them to Bregt. There is a theme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! Eat that! punk biggrin

btw. Tough set for me but i should have recognized way more! I am now on the lookout for Cleopatra, Toto's Dune and Kilar's Smuga cienia however, thanks to this great set of game! wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorReza

Oh my The Mummy, I even have the track in my laptop rolleyes
    Sindbad... when it was out the reviews were good so I bought it almost immediately but then found that I agree 100% with Tom Daish's review in Soundtrack Express, never heard it ever since.

Good game Peter smile
    Smuga Cienia, Three Wishes, L'inchiesta, three more into my long wishlist biggrin
    Viva Elfman! <http://www.geocities.com/s129002kl>
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Another one no one guessed was Cynthia Millar's wonderful music for "Three wishes". She's quite an obscure composer, but that score is well worth checking out, as I think people can hear from that cue. I'm also glad many people liked the bonus. Morricone's son, Andrea, is an excellent composer, and "L'inchiesta" is just a brilliant score from start to end. I hope reviewers and fans will soon discover it, as I've never seen this gem mentioned before.

Whoah! I had the Millar and Delerue cds but never gave them a listen. Cynthia Millar is quite awesome indeed. She used to play the ondes martenot for Elmer Bernstein.
    Am I the only one who thought that the Millar cue sounded like Rota's Godfather theme?
    Nice choice of clips, Peter. I guess I got lucky (and perhaps franz got lazy) since I knew very few of them but those turned out to be the big point ones. I didn't get any of the 'medium' ones. sad
    And it's nice to see some interest in L'Inchiesta-- one of my favorite scores released this year!
    Does this mean I get to make clips for the next game (after franz?)

Demetris,
    You might want to check out a 2cd compilation titled "Kilar: The Best". It's easily available and has quite a bunch of his concert plus rare film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kilar's Smuga Cienia?

Is this from the Warsaw To Hollywood album or was there a proper soundtrack release?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I don't think 'The Shadow Line' ever had a proper release. Soundtrack Collector lists many compilations it appears on however.
  4. pfff, those hard ones were really hard wink
    now give me some samples that even I know smile

I want a new game tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good set, Peter! (even though I should have gotten one point more as you didn't count my correct guess for Gregson-Williams in cue 3 tongue )
    I'm particularly annoyed at not getting the Delerue: I know the score well, but taken out of context I just couldnt place that cue (I guessed it was an Elmer Bernstein one, though in the back of my mind I knew that was wrong).

I was well chuffed that I managed to guess Grusin on no more than the basis of his love for jazz! biggrin
    And I knew there was Morricone in that Bonus track...just not that it would not be dad. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Excellent game it was! I'm glad I went up from 3 to 14 points in the end, but it took a lot of guesses, which was fun to do. I couldn't have done better than this, so I'm happy.

I'm curious though what Peter replied to people who guessed simply 'Morricone' for the bonus clip? I wish I had been more lazy and did just that, instead of writing 'Ennio Morricone'.
    biggrin
  5. Good set of clips, Peter. As usual there are several clips I should have recognised but didn't.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Some fantastic clips. I should have known two more. A shame, really...
  7. Trying to think of angle for these Guessing games, it occurred to me that I should base all my games around the use of particular musical forms in film scores. So:

'Would you care to dance?'

How about a little Waltz?

Going through iTunes and pulling out clips of waltzes from the history of cinema gave me 90 to choose from just from those cds I'd ripped. Here is a selection of some of the finest. An ode to the ongoing love affair of our favourite film composers with three quarter notes to the bar. (Or two six eighth notes...) wink

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    Clip 4
    Clip 5
    Clip 6
    Clip 7
    Clip 8
    Clip 9
    Clip 10
    Clip 11
    Clip 12
    Clip 13
    Clip 14
    Clip 15
    Clip 16

1 point for score, 1 for composer, and 1 for track. 48 points to be had in all, plus...

Bonus

Hint: Only FOUR of the track titles feature the word 'waltz'. Don't worry, you iTunes search masters. I made sure of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahem. You didn't actually win though... Is Bhelpuri OK with you hijacking this thread?
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Stop making excuses for not knowing the clips. No getting off on technicalities here. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's what you think, dear boy. Check your PM...
  9. Bonus clip will be revised in the morning... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad you boys n girl enjoyed the clips! punk

franz_conrad wrote
    I will edit my clips tonight and send them to Bregt. There is a theme.

Great! Looking forward to just relax, listen and send in guesses. wink

Reza wrote
    Sindbad... when it was out the reviews were good so I bought it almost immediately but then found that I agree 100% with Tom Daish's review in Soundtrack Express, never heard it ever since.

Perhaps you should give it another chance. smile Somehow it has become one of my alltime favorite scores. I find there are several memorable themes, and I don't think, from reading Tom's undetailed review, that he played the disc more than a couple of times before writing it. Of course it could just be a taste issue, and it's simply not your kind of score, but giving it another try might prove worthwhile.

BhelPuri wrote
    Whoah! I had the Millar and Delerue cds but never gave them a listen. Cynthia Millar is quite awesome indeed. She used to play the ondes martenot for Elmer Bernstein.

Interesting, I didn't know that about Millar.

BhelPuri wrote
    And it's nice to see some interest in L'Inchiesta-- one of my favorite scores released this year!

Mine too! The score seems like a fascinating cross between his dad and Philip Glass, and perhaps even with a bit of John Williams here and there. Andrea continues to impress me, he has a great gift for melody, and he have absorbed some of his father's more recent techniques, though he lacks some of the innovation his dad showed in his earlier years. Still, I'm sure he will gain a voice of his own, and might become as great as his father some day.

BhelPuri wrote
    Does this mean I get to make clips for the next game (after franz?)

I think you're next in line, yes. biggrin

franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think 'The Shadow Line' ever had a proper release. Soundtrack Collector lists many compilations it appears on however.

Indeed, I have it on some compilations, but I don't think there have been a score release. That's why it was one of the hard ones. wink One of my favorite Kilar themes that one, so amazingly romantic!

Martijn wrote
    Good set, Peter! (even though I should have gotten one point more as you didn't count my correct guess for Gregson-Williams in cue 3 tongue )

Argh!! Sorry about that one, you should have gotten an extra point there. I have edited your score to 13½, and your ranking to an impressive 7th place. shame

Martijn wroteI'm particularly annoyed at not getting the Delerue: I know the score well, but taken out of context I just couldnt place that cue (I guessed it was an Elmer Bernstein one, though in the back of my mind I knew that was wrong).

Indeed, I thought more would guess the composer, as there's a distinctive Delerue technique in that cue, that he often uses in his medieval scores. Of course it's easy for me to point out these things, as I set up the cues. I bet I'll do as poorly as usual in the next game. wink

Bregje wrote
    Excellent game it was! I'm glad I went up from 3 to 14 points in the end, but it took a lot of guesses, which was fun to do. I couldn't have done better than this, so I'm happy.

You did great, and you worked hard on it too, so you deserved every point. smile

Bregje wrote
    I'm curious though what Peter replied to people who guessed simply 'Morricone' for the bonus clip? I wish I had been more lazy and did just that, instead of writing 'Ennio Morricone'.
    biggrin

Hehe, good question. I'm not sure what I would have done.

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ahem. You didn't actually win though... Is Bhelpuri OK with you hijacking this thread?
    wink

Considering the amount of times Michael has won I think he's more than earned a turn at this.

If BhelPuri is going to do a set I'm sure he won't mind waiting till after this game?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree.
    Just wanted to rub it in he didn't win this one for the first time in about three millennia...
    christmas_biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I agree.
    Just wanted to rub it in he didn't win this one for the first time in about three millennia...
    christmas_biggrin

Ahhhhhhhh, I see?!

Want any extra salt Martijn? biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Once again, I'm relieved to know that I simply haven't heard the clips I didn't know, so there was no chance in hell I could guess them (except maybe wild shots based on composer styles and such). What WAS annoying, though, was that I misheard the lyrics in the first track as "Hallelujah Day" rather than "Hallelujah Trail", and no amount of googling could help me there. Also, I didn't recognize Howard's THE FUGITIVE, despite it being part of my collection!

Alright, I'm moving on franz' clips now, but knowing his preferences, I'm fearing lots of contemporary, post-2002 scores I've never heard.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A hard set Michael, I think I've definitely got 6 points slant

I might send you my answers?
  10. a hard set?
    That's an understatement, this is not gonna be my finest hour aswell sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Once again, I'm relieved to know that I simply haven't heard the clips I didn't know, so there was no chance in hell I could guess them (except maybe wild shots based on composer styles and such). What WAS annoying, though, was that I misheard the lyrics in the first track as "Hallelujah Day" rather than "Hallelujah Trail", and no amount of googling could help me there.

Hehe, no wonder you couldn't find it then.

The fugitive theme is amazing, give it another swirl. wink I'm not too familiar with the rest of the score, I just stumpled upon that theme while playing my collection on shuffle and fell in love with it instantly.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ahhh, I recognize 5-6 cues from the new set. Cue 2 sounds awfully familiar, hopefully I will realize what it is before I lose my mind.

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I will listen to Michael's set shortly, i already played no.1 and i know it wink

BUT

Just a thought; do we really need the "specific track title" feature? I know i am lazy here but i find it meaningless 'cause IF you know the score and composer then it's just a matter of digging the score CD up and finding which track exactly, either in one of those online shops or something, it's not a matter of knowledge or anything else like that, it's just process. Why not give more points for finding the composer and the score and take that out?

Interested in your thoughts
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I support you 100%, Demetris. I vote for removal of the "track title" thing as well.
    I am extremely serious.