• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    LSH wrote
    I would happily hand over all of my Rabin CDs in return for his score for The Guardian. That is a score worthy of a release and yet out of all of his scores of 2006, it is the only one which hasn't seen the light of day. Even Snakes On A Plane got a release. Snakes On A fucking Plane!

crazy

Indeed, "Snakes on a Plane" is one of the weirdest releases ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    It's not too weird, it just got along with the general cult status and trendiness the movie got at the time; i haven't watched it though and i gave the score half a spin. Couldn't bear more. But THE GUARDIAN suite is very strong and touching material.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    LSH wroteEven Snakes On A Plane got a release. Snakes On A fucking Plane!

crazy

Well, I would have been very susprised if that score had not been released - there was so much crazy buzz surrounding this film before it came out so it had tremendous commercial appeal.

Speaking of Rabin scores, I was kinda surprised by his score for Flyboys. I actually enjoyed it.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not too weird, it just got along with the general cult status and trendiness the movie got at the time

That was weird too. Snakes on a Plane (the film) is one of the worst films I´ve watched in a very, very long time. I think the only one who enjoyed the film was Samuel L. Jackson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not too weird, it just got along with the general cult status and trendiness the movie got at the time

That was weird too. Snakes on a Plane (the film) is one of the worst films I´ve watched in a very, very long time. I think the only one who enjoyed the film was Samuel L. Jackson.

I believe you, it looks terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Trust me, I couldn´t believe what I was watching (and listening). This is the kinda films Rabin should avoid IMO; no doubt they are fun to score, but nothing good can be delivered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Trust me, I couldn´t believe what I was watching (and listening). This is the kinda films Rabin should avoid IMO; no doubt they are fun to score, but nothing good can be delivered.

Agree. Of course this is where someone usually chimes in and takes the moral high ground: "Well as long as he's getting work, that's the main thing. And have you ever considered composers actually like doing these kinds of projects?" blah blah blah, yeah yeah yeah, heard it all before. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Just got and listening to the Guardian suite from the OST. Very nice, IMO! Shame really the score doesn't have had an official release... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I know, I love that suite. It sounds typically like Rabin but it feels so much more mature. There is however a lot more music in the film (including action music!) not represented by the suite.

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FLYBOYS has a very memorable, 'old-fashioned' main theme and some very good moments in it as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    FLYBOYS has a very memorable, 'old-fashioned' main theme and some very good moments in it as well.

Agree. One of Rabin´s best works. I wish he do this kind of music more often: Rabin-esque 100% but fully orchestral and with nice themes.
    I want more Flyboys and no more Snakes on a Plane! crazy
  1. moviescore wrote
    LSH wroteEven Snakes On A Plane got a release. Snakes On A fucking Plane!

crazy

Well, I would have been very susprised if that score had not been released - there was so much crazy buzz surrounding this film before it came out so it had tremendous commercial appeal.

Speaking of Rabin scores, I was kinda surprised by his score for Flyboys. I actually enjoyed it.

mc

kinda surprised Mikael? wink
    That is the Rabin score, such a wonderful thematic surprise. Lot's of depth and excitement
    That and his work for Deep Blue Sea, but that's killer cool stuff anyway wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    My review of Rabin's National Treasure: Book of Secrets, copied and pasted right out of my score reviews blog:

" A short, modernistic score that's probably not worth the money. "

The second in a series of National Treasure scores, the National Treasure: Book of Secrets score is unusually short, with only eight tracks, and clocks in at only about twenty-two and a half minutes. Granted, these tracks do not disappoint, and will keep the listener enthralled - for the time being. The National Treasure scores seem to suffer from modernity, and more than one of the tracks make you feel like you're not listening to a film score, but a TV commercial. Tracks like So! and Bunnies at first made me want to go hurl (though they're growing on me). The few rare gems this soundtrack possesses are Page 47 (which has a beautiful violin solo), Cibola, City of Gold, and Franklin's Tunnel.

The main new theme for Book of Secrets is a sweeping string melody for the city of gold, which sounds strikingly similar to Luke and Leia's theme from Return of the Jedi. I at first noticed the resemblance in the theater while viewing the movie, and I sometimes wonder Trevor Rabin was having a bit of copy and paste fun with this one.

Overall, I think the National Treasure: Book of Secrets soundtrack is an enjoyable listen - and even more enjoyable if you're into modern-sounding scores. But if you're like me, and care more for the sweeping orchestral music, carefully consider what you want before buying this one... iTunes sometimes sells individual tracks, as you may know...
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Earlier this fall, composer Trevor Rabin reunited with director Renny Harlin to score the new action movie 12 Rounds. Scoring took place at the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros., and ScoringSessions.com is excited to bring you the exclusive photos!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sorry I'm a little late to jump in on that wagon, but I just gotta say that someone who thinks Snakes on a Plane is a bad film has probably missed the point. That film is an all-out gut-busting tongue-in-cheek satire, and if that wasn't clear it's not because it's a bad film, but simply because that kind of comedy just isn't your thing. The fact that the genre that this movie makes fun of is bad is exactly what makes this one effective.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    James, you're pretty religious lately cheesy
  2. HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sorry I'm a little late to jump in on that wagon, but I just gotta say that someone who thinks Snakes on a Plane is a bad film has probably missed the point. That film is an all-out gut-busting tongue-in-cheek satire, and if that wasn't clear it's not because it's a bad film, but simply because that kind of comedy just isn't your thing. The fact that the genre that this movie makes fun of is bad is exactly what makes this one effective.

true, the movie's all about having fun, it reminds me for that reason a bit of the 80's times, just fun without an apparant reason. I love the movie

OH LORD INDEED biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Well, I agree with

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Snakes on a Plane

... without an apparant reason.

What garbage. vomit
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    I haven't watched it. And i don't see me doing so. smile
  3. Martijn wrote
    Well, I agree with

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Snakes on a Plane

... without an apparant reason.

What garbage. vomit

hehe, I love it when brainless attempts sometimes surprise me because you can enjoy something without using the brain, for that reason it is impressive no? considering you have to use your brain by looking at it and remembering smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    There are other kinds of movies to enjoy without using your brain and for which nobody requires you to pay 10 euros of cinema entrance. biggrin
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    There are other kinds of movies to enjoy without using your brain and for which nobody requires you to pay 10 euros of cinema entrance. biggrin
    who talks about cinema?

I'm talking about seeing it at home wink

Besides, I'm gonna give 8 euros to see The Day the Earth Stood Still in the cinema, perhaps that will become that famous brainless attempt

And no don't say the music tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    Recently, Trevor Rabin was at the Sony Scoring Stage to record his score to the new Walt Disney Features alien-adventure Race to Witch Mountain. ScoringSessions.com is excited to bring our readers a look at the 78-piece orchestra and a 24-piece choir sessions!

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Besides, I'm gonna give 8 euros to see The Day the Earth Stood Still in the cinema, perhaps that will become that famous brainless attempt

you will WHAT??? shocked
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

you will WHAT??? shocked

Oh, it is money I still miss so much sad
  6. dgoldwas wrote
    Recently, Trevor Rabin was at the Sony Scoring Stage to record his score to the new Walt Disney Features alien-adventure Race to Witch Mountain. ScoringSessions.com is excited to bring our readers a look at the 78-piece orchestra and a 24-piece choir sessions!

Enjoy!

hoping for a cool score, a choir always enhances the coolness cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    "The energetic and propulsive music was conducted by orchestrator Gordon Goodwin, who led a 78-piece ensemble of the Hollywood Studio Symphony. Featuring strong brass lines and complex string ostinatos, the music is accentuated with electronics and percussion to keep the action flowing".

"In addition to the orchestral aspects of the score, a 24-person choir conducted by music librarian Marshall Bowen was recorded, providing another layer of excitement and scope to the music".

Me.Wants.!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Similar stuff was said about THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL as well. And Watchmen wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Similar stuff was said about THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL as well. And Watchmen wink tongue

crazy
    But this time it´s true tongue

Besides, did Dan attended The Day the Earth Stood Still sessions?