• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    I'm being introduced (submerged) into 'Homeland'.

Made me immediately remember how much I love Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin (who is ALWAYS great in supporting roles).

I'm halfway through the first season. Does anybody else have experience with this show?

E.

I love it Elin, it's currently showing on Channel 4 here in UK and we're a third of the way through season 2 which is even more intense than the first.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was sceptical about a second season (the first was wrapped up so well) but they have managed to do it very well and continue the story very naturally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Another series to watch out for, then.

I'm currently on the fourth season of THE WIRE. I'm diggin' it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Excellent series though I struggled with the lingo at times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. THE WIRE -- I would really like to get around to seeing that. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I tried The Wire twice, but I could never quite get there. It seemed like a more serialised version of NYPD Blue, with worse language and less endearing characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Excellent series though I struggled with the lingo at times.

Yeah, I wouldn't have understood much if I didn't have subtitles.

This isn't anything like NYPD BLUE (boring 'cop' show). More like a portrait of a crime-infested city -- in various walks of life (streets, harbour, schools etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Oh, the joys of the internet.

Hmmm?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    I was sceptical about a second season (the first was wrapped up so well) but they have managed to do it very well and continue the story very naturally.

I thought the episodes in Israel or wherever they went were pretty weak (i.e. stupid) but now they are back on US soil it's more like the excellent first season.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    I guess you've watched Last Resort? Enjoyed the first episode tonight. Music a collection of blatant Zimmer rips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    Finished THE WIRE. Brilliant show once you get into it -- but you definitely have to be focussed. Lots of difficult dialogue and connections going on.

However, it was such a massive anti-climax to me when [spoiler]Omar was killed a few episodes before the end. He was my favourite character and I had really, really hoped he would survive -- despite all odds. I literally said 'Fuck!' out loud when he was popped by that kid.[/spoiler]. My engagement with the show didn't quite soar after that, but at least it managed to wrap things up more or less...while at the same time showing that life in the city goes on, including crime and bad guys. No neat Hollywood ending, but satisfactory.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012 edited
    Watching the Buffy the vampire slayer series these days. Perhaps I was a teenage girl in a previous life as I really dig this show. I've reached season 4 though, and it's not as enjoyable as the previous season, with two new main characters added that aren't that good actors, but there are still the occasional moments of brilliance. Where this show really shines is in the comedy department. It's also well written and most of the main actors are great, with fantastic characters.

I recommend people who don't know this show to watch the episode Doppelgangland. I find it hilarious, with some great character moments and funny and cute dialogue. Also the episode Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered is one of the more comedic ones, that turns hilariously nuts in the end. Oh, and the funny and scary episode Hush where two thirds of it is without dialogue is a good example of how creative the writers of this show were. This later one was nominated for an Emmy I believe.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012
    I love Buffy too Peter beer I wouldn't mind watching them all again some day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Finished THE WIRE. Brilliant show once you get into it -- but you definitely have to be focussed. Lots of difficult dialogue and connections going on.

However, it was such a massive anti-climax to me when [spoiler]Omar was killed a few episodes before the end. He was my favourite character and I had really, really hoped he would survive -- despite all odds. I literally said 'Fuck!' out loud when he was popped by that kid.[/spoiler]. My engagement with the show didn't quite soar after that, but at least it managed to wrap things up more or less...while at the same time showing that life in the city goes on, including crime and bad guys. No neat Hollywood ending, but satisfactory.

I disagree with you on your 'spoiler' Thor, A great character for sure but I loved the fact it was a shocking death, out of the blue and with no ceremony, realistic and completely un-hollywood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I disagree with you on your 'spoiler' Thor, A great character for sure but I loved the fact it was a shocking death, out of the blue and with no ceremony, realistic and completely un-hollywood.

Yeah, that aspect was great, no doubt. Love the unconventional bit. But I had come to really like the character; he was my favourite in the show. Granted, I had expected something like that, given the series' approach and the way they built it up in the episode, but I still hated it. I soooo much wanted him to go on a revenge rampage against Marlo's gang. I often like films that play with audience expectations and gratifications like that, but when I'm in the midst of it, I still cannot help but feel unfulfilled. Guess I'm human after all. smile

That being said, I liked the way they ended the Marlo storyline. [spoiler]Yes, he was set free, but then proceeds to shoot someone on the streets, and given what we were told beforehand, we can assume that he will be locked up for good after the series' natural end.[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    [spoiler]Of course, Michael emerges at the end as the new Omar, so that's something, at least.

I would have written the ending differently -- allowing Omar to have his rampage, cutting the police investigation short as he caps Marlo -- if necessary, writing his demise in the say afterwards. That also underlines the whole 'pointlessness' that the series wants to highlight while keeping the mythic aspect of Omar.
    [/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Couldn't agree more Thor!

Whatever you said. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    I love Buffy too Peter beer I wouldn't mind watching them all again some day.

Great Timmer! biggrin I feel a little less like a teenage girl now.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Just saw JOHN CARTER. The film is crap, but I was impressed by the score -- the first time I've actually liked a Giacchino score. Massive and bombastic, but finally with some melody and heart -- things I've missed in his previous work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Just saw JOHN CARTER. The film is crap, but I was impressed by the score -- the first time I've actually liked a Giacchino score. Massive and bombastic, but finally with some melody and heart -- things I've missed in his previous work.

I made it through the first 10 minutes of the movie, i admire you man, sitting through the entire film! The score is massive and excellent!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I made it through the first 10 minutes of the movie, i admire you man, sitting through the entire film! The score is massive and excellent!

The first 10 minutes were actually OK. It's when he pops up on Mars and becomes Jumpin' Jack Flash that it plummets.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

The first 10 minutes were actually OK. It's when he pops up on Mars and becomes Jumpin' Jack Flash that it plummets.

the film is indeed mediocre, but I thought the last 15 minutes were the best of the entire movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I enjoyed it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Me too. Thought the movie was quite alright. Nothing special, but entertaining enough.

Peter smile
  4. Thor wrote

I thought, aside from his Barry emulations, I thought there was some heart in a number of cues from "The Incredibles", from soft to dramatic, like the plane being hit and exploding, discovering the plans and the list of targeted heroes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    We have watched the first six or seven episodes of Breaking Bad. Very exciting and funny too. I think there's a lot of (black) humour in there. And it's very 'moody' if that makes sense.

Speaking of humour, we love Bones too. When Bones first started I remember thinking 'Oh no, not another CSI kind of thing or wannabe...' . But I think it's really good. By the way, CSI never gets boring either, good choice to bring Gary Sinise and Laurence Fishburne to the show(s).

We also watched a couple of episodes of The Event. Really really exciting, creating tension through flash backs and forwards mostly. But, we also noticed there are only two seasons, so either the story goes downhill fast or there's another reason? Anyway, after four or five episodes or something, it's still very very thrilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    Bregje wrote
    We have watched the first six or seven episodes of Breaking Bad. Very exciting and funny too. I think there's a lot of (black) humour in there. And it's very 'moody' if that makes sense.

Great, totally addictive show (if you'll excuse the pun) that only gets better. Currently waiting for the last half of the final season.

We also watched a couple of episodes of The Event. Really really exciting, creating tension through flash backs and forwards mostly. But, we also noticed there are only two seasons, so either the story goes downhill fast or there's another reason? Anyway, after four or five episodes or something, it's still very very thrilling.

I've started watching this as well. I thought I had seen the first episodes before, and that they didn't impress me much, but it appears I haven't. The pilot of the show I remembered ended with the city 'shutting' down at the end -- everyone fainting and cars stopping etc. I thought that was THE EVENT, but apparently not. In any case, this one seems more entertaining.
    I am extremely serious.