• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    I haven't even seen the original thank God wink

if you haven't, you missed out on an amazing action packed and gruesome action movie that's heightened to amazing levels thanks to the strong character development acting (yes), visual effects and mindblowing score

you lose, we win
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I've seen both sequels.
    Against better instincts.

Don't.
    Seriously.

Pheww...I thought I was the only one. Now we can share our pain.

I saw the first sequel too, not good indeed
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    Of course, after all this talk I WILL have to see them, bad or not.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen STARSHIP TROOPERS for years, a damn good film too. Haven't seen any sequels and don't intend to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thor wrote

Have a bucket ready.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Have a bucket ready.

Not enough.

Have TWO buckets ready.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. TRUE ROMANCE

Why on earth Tony Scott had to throw himself off of a bridge, so that very act would make me watch this great film is a mystery to me. I should have watched it a long time ago already... Great ensemble cast, a plot from the hand of Tarantino, violent outbursts of shocking grittyness, memorable dialogue, all supported by lovely Zimmer tunes... you know: the works. Why I waited this long to watch this awesome Scott film is plain ridiculous. Tony, if you're looking down from up above and reading this: You're so cool! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2012
    To anyone in London - book your Raiders IMAX tickets now!

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_tim … /BFI_IMAX/
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    TRUE ROMANCE

Why on earth Tony Scott had to throw himself off of a bridge, so that very act would make me watch this great film is a mystery to me. I should have watched it a long time ago already... Great ensemble cast, a plot from the hand of Tarantino, violent outbursts of shocking grittyness, memorable dialogue, all supported by lovely Zimmer tunes... you know: the works. Why I waited this long to watch this awesome Scott film is plain ridiculous. Tony, if you're looking down from up above and reading this: You're so cool! cool

I saw it yesterday myself... I forgot how good the movie was. The best script Tony Scott ever worked with and the only movie to show what was REALLY in him, given good material. Crimson Tide comes in second and Spy Game would be given third place, that one is forgotten and amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. we saw Enemy of the State this weekend, it's such a good thriller which biggest asset is the incredible pace it unleashes from the start. Of course Smith and Hackman's contribution is not to be taken lightly.

7 out of 10
  7. Yeah, in general, the pacing is Tony's biggest talent. He explains it greatly in his commentary to Spy Game. "The general rule of thumb is that a page of the script is equal to a minute of the movie. In my case it's a page equals 2/3 of a minute, just because that's my attention span." This very quick narrative makes him so wonderfully intense even in case of his worse movies like Unstoppable which I watched totally on the edge of the movie. Even, as bad as remake of Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 was, the suspense was done greatly.
  8. "Final Approach" (1991)

I was looking for something else when I stumbled upon this film. Curious to see who scored it, I went to IMDB and saw a name I'd never seen before: Kirk Hunter
    As that was his ONLY scoring credit, and there were some positive words about the film, I decided to check it out.

While it's not particularly deep, it does leave you guessing through pretty much the entire movie, as to what's going on, unless you pay attention and catch two or three small hints and realize, and it's a thinking man's movies, at a slow pace. At no point does your brain turn off during this movie.

Colonel Halsey (James Sikking) and his co-pilot are testing a new experimental system on stealth bomber when things go horribly wrong.

When we next see him, he's in a waiting room, where he's then admitted to Dr. Gottlieb (Hector Elizondo). There's a problem though -- Halsey doesn't know who he [Halsey] is.

I guess you could say it's a emotional drama. I'm not sure how to recommend it. I bet franz would like it. It's never been released on DVD (not sure about VHS), but it was on LaserDisc.

Not sure what to make of the score. There's, I would say, around 20 to 30 minutes in the film. It's a combo of synth and orchestra. There's some fairly action-esque militaristic pieces, then there's mystery pieces, and there's some experimental synth stuff with chorus which is primary affect seem to be to try and transport you away and not break ground.
    An underrated composer who's body of work is almost exclusively animated shows ("Animaniacs" and Disney stuff), J. Eric Schmidt, is credited with additional music. According to IMDB, this is his first credit on anything. I'm not sure if this would make a good CD release, but I'd love to hear some of it apart from the film, like the action pieces.

Since you can't go out and buy it (unless you own a LaserDisc player, and can find a copy of the film still for sale), here's the whole film on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxtZIdwOpgY

And before that, here is the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrPc_z2YjZU

And remember:

"Don't ever ... touch the beard..."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012
    http://bmoviebest.wordpress.com/2012/08 … rble-1946/

#248 in my list of watchablw 'B' movies
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  9. Interesting. Though I have never heard of this film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    THE MASTER (Paul Thomas Anderson) ****

Saw THE MASTER tonight at the Venice film festival, an intriguing film from Paul Thomas Anderson that's apparently splitting audiences in the 'nah, could've been better' camp and those that are willing to accept it for a film different to what people expected to get. For the film is not primarily about Scientology, Ron L. Hubbard, nor religion, and it does not contain very biting satirical content. It is, however, an intriguing film with a near flawless technical style from Anderson, as we have come to expect, and brilliant performances from its cast, most notably Seymour-Hoffman and Phoenix. The scenes they share are fantastic.

Another highlight is Jonny Greenwood's score. In approach, it could be considered a continuation of his previous collaboration with Anderson: in an often atonal way, it seems to describe the internal conflicts of the characters and is as such more of a psychological work than a plot-driven one. The score is very much present and leading the film, though also nails PTA's rhythm of editing and dialogue, occasionally in a thrilling way. It is also a strong development since TWBB; now with a more colorful chamber orchestra, a wider selection of instruments, and as the film progresses, it gets more and more tonal in a slightly comforting way, describing the journey the characters make.

In short, THE MASTER's score is intelligent, creative, complex and fits the picture like a glove, whether you enjoy the music or not (it's a challenging listen and will likely receive bad press over it). If THERE WILL BE BLOOD hadn't already showcased Greenwood's talent, THE MASTER further cements his status as one of the most interesting new coming composers in film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    Jonny Greenwood's music is very creative and clever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Interesting review, BobDH. The trailers suggest the film has a curious lazy tone about it that I find quite compelling. Looking forward to seeing it. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    TO THE WONDER (Terrence Malick) ****

After the cosmic philosophy of THE TREE OF LIFE, Terrence Malick returns to earth with TO THE WONDER. A film about very human struggles with love, loneliness and the search for happiness among modern, small-town America.

But while the characters are easier to identify with than before and the plot is as straightforward as you're going to get, it's also the most Malickian of all, going all-out with jaw-dropping shots of nature, haunting classical music from the likes of Arvo Pärt, philosophical voice-over in French, Spanish and Italian and people that love to dance around in open fields while staring longingly at the sun. A visual poem, albeit an increasingly cynical one, featuring incredible, stunning Beauty, with capital B.

In many ways the antithesis to THE TREE OF LIFE, it's a deceitfully difficult and distressing film that's nonetheless rewarding for those that are open to it. Considering the equal boo's and applause at the festival, it's a film determined to split audiences in two. Fans of Malick are in for a treat. And a surprise.
  11. Sounds like you're getting all the interesting films in one go! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    Thanks Bob, Mallick always seems able to fulfill the goal of splitting its audiences into two smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    GET CARTER

The Mike Hodges original of course, not the criminal Sylvester Stallone remake. I watched this last night, one of the best ( if not the best ) British gangster films made ( move over Guy Ritchie ), grittily realistic this is quite rightly a classic, if you've not seen it I suggest that you do.

There's very little score in the film but the theme is quite rightly considered an iconic classic and is right up there at the very top as one of the best film themes ever written.

ROY BUDD plays GET CARTER

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    I'm going to watch a film tonight. One of the top contenders is a great movie and HAS A GREAT SCORE punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    Ooooo, dunnit, though? love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    I'm going to watch a film tonight. One of the top contenders is a great movie and HAS A GREAT SCORE punk

I've had that film in my collection for about 6 years and I still haven't watched it. Same goes for Once Upon A Time In The West. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. I watched the pilot for J.J. Abrams new series REVOLUTION last night. It was directed by Jon Favreau (or however you spell it). I thought it was pretty good. No where near as gripping as the pilot for LOST, but how can you really beat that setup? It held my interest, didn't show too many cards, but kept things moving. I will watch the next one.

I didn't see a music credit on that episode. Anyone know who scored it? I only noticed the music once or twice, but I liked what I heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote

I didn't see a music credit on that episode. Anyone know who scored it? I only noticed the music once or twice, but I liked what I heard.

Chris Lennertz.

Revolution's creator is Eric Kripke, the guy who created Supernatural, also scored by Lennertz....I read somewhere they have been friends since their college days.
  13. Marselus wrote
    christopher wrote

Chris Lennertz.

Revolution's creator is Eric Kripke, the guy who created Supernatural, also scored by Lennertz....I read somewhere they have been friends since their college days.

revolution sounds intriguing, especially the Kripke part tongue
    considering Supernatural is ending, I'm looking for a series to fill that gap

but what am I saying, still have to start with Supernatural season 3 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    but what am I saying, still have to start with Supernatural season 3 punk

What do you think of the show so far?
  14. The Life Before Her Eyes

Vadim Perelman's emotional roller-coaster about a woman dealing with surviving a high school massacre after they are made choose whether she survives or her best friend. Harrowing plot twist, which is sadly spoiled in James Horner's score album. Very moving film, great performances all around, though I think it's Evan Rachel Wood who steals the show, not Uma Thurman (who is great in her own right in the film). Horner's atmospheric, ambient even, work works wonders and never overloads the film which tends to happen in his case.

The Expendables

The first part, not as stupid as I thought, but still insanely dumb. To a person who has no connection whatsoever to the big action cinema of the 1980s (having seen Commando a few years ago I think it's a load of shit, just about made watchable by the one-liners by Schwarzenegger, oh and I am an avid hater of the James Horner score), the film had nice action scenes, but the one-liners, seemingly referential to the actors themselves, not just the characters, were dumb, cheesy and I haven't laughed *at all* while watching the film. The legendary church scene made me maybe smile once, but means nothing to me. Brian Tyler's score ranges from very good in the action scenes, through being plain unnecessary, but not offensive (Mickey Rourke's speech, which was probably the best scene in the film, I would prefer the scene to have no music at all, simply) to downright grating (the torture scene, which Tyler treats like an action scene rather trying to serve the disturbing aspect of it). Except the Rourke scene, my favorite scene, actually having some emotions in it, is Jason Statham beating the shit out of the guy who beat up his ex-girlfriend. Better than expected, but I find it very overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    I think the appeal of THE EXPENDABLES movies relies solely on if you connect to the Hollywood action cinema of the 80s, and the idea behind Stallone's "project". I certainly do, which is why I love both films. But I can understand why others won't.
    I am extremely serious.