• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. We saw JOHN CARTER. It's not very good, and kind of long and boring in spots, but I was fairly entertained and liked the end. I don't understand why it bombed so badly. Far worse films have made far more money (pick a TRANSFORMERS film)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens is a decent enough way to spend two hours, it's not a classic and it doesn't aspire to be.

At least the actors seem to have fun with their roles. I've seen far worse shit than this.

Harrison Ford is absolutely AWFUL in this movie!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yeah, he's quite wooden.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens is a decent enough way to spend two hours, it's not a classic and it doesn't aspire to be.

At least the actors seem to have fun with their roles. I've seen far worse shit than this.

-Erik-

Nah... I think he was good here, compared to his completely disinterested Indy in Crystal Skull.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Nah... I think he was good here, compared to his completely disinterested Indy in Crystal Skull.

He looked bored in both but I'll take a lack luster Indy over what he did in Cowboys and Aliens.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He looked tired in Indy but c'mon, he is no spring chicken anymore, maybe we should cut his performance some slack?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I really had no issue with Ford in Crystal Skull. He just seemed miscast (or bored) in Cowboys and Aliens.

-Erik-
  4. Indy was having the most boring adventure of his life, that's the biggest problem with Crystal Skull.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indy was having the most boring adventure of his life, that's the biggest problem with Crystal Skull.

Ok... but I'm not taking about the script or the film. We are talking about Harrison Ford's performance. Even though the script was utter shit Ford LOVES Indy and it shows in the fourth film.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indy was having the most boring adventure of his life, that's the biggest problem with Crystal Skull.

Ok... but I'm not taking about the script or the film. We are talking about Harrison Ford's performance. Even though the script was utter shit Ford LOVES Indy and it shows in the fourth film.

-Erik-

at least the first 40 minutes is quite good and entertaining, the moment those black ghools appear in that night dig, it becomes boring
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He just doesn't have it anymore. Some people need to realize that and retire. Composers too I think ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    He just doesn't have it anymore. Some people need to realize that and retire. Composers too I think ?

Some top actors already have, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery all instantly come to mind.

( I'm not saying they have nothing more to give, just that they've retired )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    We saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol last night.
    Good lord, what a rush! That was entertaining and exciting!

Also, I discovered it was part IV... that means I haven't seen III first. We probably missed some links to the third movie, but oh well...

And in the afternoon I watched Willow with the kids. They simply had to see it and I wanted to see it again. It was my favourite movie as a kid. Funny to see how you remember some things completely different and you see it differently as a adult too.
  6. MI: Ghost Protocol is a good film, but the third one is even better: an action-packed thrill ride with great performances. And you will understand the ending of the fourth film better if you watch the third. smile

Willow is great childhood fun for me as well... And it features one of Horner's best scores ever. Also holding some great old-school visual effects like that two headed monster. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Yeah, loved it too! If it had M:I:III's score it would be the perfect mission impossible film, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Moneyball

Wow, simply wow. I knew I was gonna like this (the trailer was enough to got me hooked on the subject matter), but I'm amazed by the sheer brilliant character development this movie delivers. For me it was like watching Jerry Maguire meets a Clint Eastwood movie (meaning the love to let characters speak for a long time, thereby enhancing true emotional character development). Honestly, for a sports movie that deals so much about numbers and pure facts, and so little about sport, I found this to be an emotional resonating experience. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill's chemistry on screen is some of the finest I've seen in a long time (considering I didn't expect it to work together at all). Stunning blu-ray transfer video wise too.

Anyway, bro, expect to see this one next week wave

8 out of 10
  8. Yeah no sweat dude, okay? wink

I watched THE EASTWOOD FACTOR, a brilliant documentary about Clint Eastwood's career at Warner Bros. for 35 years, how he started out in westerns, how he got from acting to directing, and the shift in tone for later films, all told in his own down-to-earth fashion, or otherwise narrated by his frequent collaborator Morgan Freeman. Great and interesting stuff if you like seeing the gravely voiced man in his most memorable roles, this comes as a bonus on the blu-ray of Hereafter, and what a nice surprise this is.

After watching this, I really want to see some of his films again (A Perfect World, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven, Dirty Harry looks like good fun too). Can't believe I missed out on Invictus, it looks very inspirational.

It's amazing Clint is still so active at his age.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012 edited
    I love Clint Eastwood. The Dirty Harry series of films are good fun, the first one in particular with it's nasty villain 'Scorpio' is very memorable, possibly one of the most memorable and heartbreakingly cruel villains ever, a truly nasty guy and I don't mean in a 'boo' 'hiss' Darth Vader / Die Hard / James Bond way.

I'd also recommend THUNDERBOLT & LIGHFOOT co-starring a young Jeff Bridges and one of Eastwood's near forgotten masterpieces THE BEGUILED.

I could go on and on... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    JS: THE EXPENDABLES 2

Fun! Review coming up (on montages.no).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

I think that, deep down, everyone loves Clint Eastwood.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah no sweat dude, okay? wink

I watched THE EASTWOOD FACTOR, a brilliant documentary about Clint Eastwood's career at Warner Bros. for 35 years, how he started out in westerns, how he got from acting to directing, and the shift in tone for later films, all told in his own down-to-earth fashion, or otherwise narrated by his frequent collaborator Morgan Freeman. Great and interesting stuff if you like seeing the gravely voiced man in his most memorable roles, this comes as a bonus on the blu-ray of Hereafter, and what a nice surprise this is.

After watching this, I really want to see some of his films again (A Perfect World, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven, Dirty Harry looks like good fun too). Can't believe I missed out on Invictus, it looks very inspirational.

yeah, can't believe you missed out on Invictus, we saw it and dad (though no fan of rugby at all) remained interested until the end, of course much had to do with Morgan Freeman wink
  10. Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood. The Dirty Harry series of films are good fun, the first one in particular with it's nasty villain 'Scorpio' is very memorable, possibly one of the most memorable and heartbreakingly cruel villains ever, a truly nasty guy and I don't mean in a 'boo' 'hiss' Darth Vader / Die Hard / James Bond way.

I'd also recommend THUNDERBOLT & LIGHFOOT co-starring a young Jeff Bridges and one of Eastwood's near forgotten masterpieces THE BEGUILED.

I could go on and on... cool

That quote from Dirty Harry remains legendary! Haha! I had a smile on my face, he brought it with such gritty 'don't fuck with me' attitude. His character in Gran Torino also has this quality. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times, I mean the dude is scary on the outside, but on the inside he's a teddy-bear. biggrin
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah no sweat dude, okay? wink

yeah, can't believe you missed out on Invictus, we saw it and dad (though no fan of rugby at all) remained interested until the end, of course much had to do with Morgan Freeman wink

Yeah, the more of his films I watch, the higher he gets on my list of fave film-makers.
  12. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

Well the guy has incredibly on screen chemistry. There's no denying that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

I don't. Or it would be deep down.
    Can't stand the guy. And I think his films are overrated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

kill

I know what you're thinking Bob, did he fire six shots or only five...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

kill

lol

Bob, it must be buried deep, but one day I'm sure it will come out, as everyone's inner Clint does at some point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love Clint Eastwood.

kill

yeah
    You know you can dig it, Bob.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
    You dig.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
  13. I'll add just one:

Go ahead Bob, make my day !!!!