• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    A film is about contrasts though, and I'm not sure it's a script that allows for the contrast between her and a certain other character to not result in ridiculous thoughts. It seems to me there's very few problems in that film that aren't problems with the script. It all starts there and echoes out.

I completely agree.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but honestly, Bats: [spoiler]if you get your ass handed backwards ona platter in a bout of fisticuffs without Baneyboy even breaking a sweat, is it really smart to engage him with bare fists again?

That predominantly (keeping in mind Bats was already happily carrying on with all his other wonderful toys again) was the point where I'd have expected him to pull out some kind of electrical doohickey attached to his gloves to zap Bane to kingdome come with one flick of the wrist.

But noooooooo....he'd have to go all testosterone again. Makes perfect sense. With a broken back and all.
    [/spoiler]slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. "Family Guy" used to be funny the first two or three seasons. After the show came back from cancellation, it was like their way of thanking us for saving the show, was to poke us with sticks in the eye and say, "there, you like that?"

It was so awful, I tuned out and never watched a new episode again, except the 2010/2011 Christmas special, because folks over at FSM were praising Ron Jones' big orchestral score, so I had to know...

What a fucking awful way to due Santa and Christmas. I mean, it's not as bad as what "South Park" did to Chef when they killed him off, but still horrible.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote
    What I really want to see is Snow White and the Huntsman. The trailers look good. Any opinions?

I have an opinion.

I talked about it too

Yeah, but I think Europe has just decided unanimously not to listen to any Greeks any more. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I just think there's a bit of a moment where -- in script form -- someone should have said 'wait a second'. [spoiler]And that is when Marion Cotillard turns out to be tougher than the guy whose meant to physically and mentally best Batman. There's a shot of her jumping into the front seat of a truck and commandeering it where I was thinking -- 'now there's an image that completely fails to best Liam Neeson OR Heath Ledger's villainy'.[/spoiler]

That's the problem: [spoiler]that really only works when you KNOW who the character Talia is supposed to be, and what she is really capable of.
    Otherwise it makes no sense att all.
    And the script really takes too little effort to introduce that knowledge.
    [/spoiler]

OK, I'm going to hold off commenting on the film for a bit now.
    All this spoiler-tag use is driving me...er...well...batty.
  2. Oh, and [spoiler]I've deliberately wasted your time[/spoiler].
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    That was probably one of the best posts on this forum, Justin.
  3. Seriously now, stop watching those goddamn Batman movies. Go watch the 1992 "Batman: The Animated Series" -- that's the best incarnation of Batman on screen (TV or film) yet. The Mr. Freeze backstory was loved so much, the comics adopted it, too.

Skip the following episodes to make the viewing its best:
    "Fear of Victory"
    "Tyger Tyger"
    "Moon of the Wofl"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote
    What I really want to see is Snow White and the Huntsman. The trailers look good. Any opinions?

I talked about it too, saying that it was visually stunning, score worked wonders and that's it's a pretty enjoyable movie.

Thanks D! I couldn't find any posts with the search function, only a few posts about the score and my own post.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Good to hear from a man also. Why I say that? Because I read some reviews and got the impression I had trapped into 'a chick flick in disguise' or something... I did go see it with a (girl)friend of mine and there were a lot of women in the audience, hm.
    wink

Seriously, I agree. And I've had the score on repeat since yesterday and absolutely love it more with each listen. And if anyone would ask if I want to go see the movie again tonight, I would!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    I heard some truly terrible things about the film (basically that Charlize was the only redeeming value), so it's good to see a more balanced view.

I wonder what they thought was so terrible. Also what movies are the standard for someone who thinks the only good thing was Theron...? Visually a movie can't get better than this in my opinion.

What did you mean by "The story was good enough for me"?

Well, if it's a story based on a fairy tale with new elements added there are a lot of decisions to be made what to keep from the original story and what to leave out and what to add etc. Not all decisions made sense, but still I thought the story was good, exciting and balanced. But not perfect or brilliant or anything.

Still four reasons to go see it. 1.Visuals, 2.Hemsworth (OK and Theron), 3.the score and 4.to make up your own mind of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Family Guy's about as funny as having a root canal.

yeah

Thank God.
    Someone said it.

Yeah. Go watch some lame dinosaur cgi British shows instead wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote

I talked about it too, saying that it was visually stunning, score worked wonders and that's it's a pretty enjoyable movie.

Thanks D! I couldn't find any posts with the search function, only a few posts about the score and my own post.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Good to hear from a man also. Why I say that? Because I read some reviews and got the impression I had trapped into 'a chick flick in disguise' or something... I did go see it with a (girl)friend of mine and there were a lot of women in the audience, hm.
    wink

Seriously, I agree. And I've had the score on repeat since yesterday and absolutely love it more with each listen. And if anyone would ask if I want to go see the movie again tonight, I would!

Loved it, good story, strong visuals (the forest sequence was magnificent) and very good music. What's not to love? Not to mention Theron's performance is Oscar material! The whole movie is much closer to the original tale than what cheesy Disney did with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote

I have an opinion.

I talked about it too

Yeah, but I think Europe has just decided unanimously not to listen to any Greeks any more. wink

No worries, you have our law, government, democracy, currency and educational systems to keep you company while you're not listening to us wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Saw Ted last night. Surprisingly funny. Comedies are usually the worst thing to see at the cinema because if you don't find them funny that's it. At least with an action film you can usually appreciate a car chase or explosion.

Surprisingly? It's from the makers of Family Guy!

The few seasons before its cancellation and the few seasons after it's comeback were magnificent! The Family Guy movie, made during its hiatus, was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And the Star Wars spoofs are very, very good! But now it's painful to watch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

yeah

Thank God.
    Someone said it.

Yeah. Go watch some lame dinosaur cgi British shows instead wink

Lame dinosaur British shows stay funny !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Saw Ted last night. Surprisingly funny. Comedies are usually the worst thing to see at the cinema because if you don't find them funny that's it. At least with an action film you can usually appreciate a car chase or explosion.

Surprisingly? It's from the makers of Family Guy!

The few seasons before its cancellation and the few seasons after it's comeback were magnificent! The Family Guy movie, made during its hiatus, was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And the Star Wars spoofs are very, very good! But now it's painful to watch!

-Erik-

Indeed! beer I think the show is pretty smart. Not laugh out loud funny, but very smart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    I love it too. Even laugh-out-loud at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    I've finally seen The Green Mile. Impressive.

Although I'm not too happy that horrible execution scene will stay with me for a long time... almost couldn't bear it and wanted to walk away.

And I cried a lot. I don't think I've ever cried over a mouse before?
  5. Bregje wrote
    I've finally seen The Green Mile. Impressive.

Although I'm not too happy that horrible execution scene will stay with me for a long time... almost couldn't bear it and wanted to walk away.

And I cried a lot. I don't think I've ever cried over a mouse before?

there are several strong and violent scenes in The Green Mile yes, but overall it's a strong drama, and I'm not afraid to admit that I cried so much during the film, especially the last 30 hours I was (like some characters in the film) crying a lot.

Everyone says The Shawshank Redemption is the best film of Darabont (it is a knockout), but I was never so moved than during The Green Mile, so for me this stays my personal favorite
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ...especially the last 30 hours ...

It was that long? tongue

I agree. Great drama.
    I'm not sure I've seen Shawshank? Probably not yet!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It was that long? tongue

I agree. Great drama.

Shawshank is one of THE great films, you must see it Bregje.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Bregje wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It was that long? tongue

I agree. Great drama.

damn, I of course meant the last 30 minutes smile

Shawshank is equally brilliant, both are must seen movies
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cowboys and Aliens

How could this possibly be as bad as it is? An enthusiastic cast and director can't mask a terrible script.
  7. Southall wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens

How could this possibly be as bad as it is? An enthusiastic cast and director can't mask a terrible script.

it was average, but I expected more from the cast and crew, the score (apart from several moments) didn't help either
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    Bregje wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It was that long? tongue

I agree. Great drama.

I actually prefer The Green Mile over Shawshank Redemption.
    I think Shawshank is the better story, but The Green Mile was more layered, and ultimately more personal.
    It's my favourite Thomas Newman score as well.

That said, both films are absolutely A-grade efforts in my book!
  8. Southall wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens

Yeah, I was hoping for a lot more from that one. I also think that climax was a complete mess. Cowboys vs. aliens? Think of the fun you could have with that? Instead, it was like the director just said, "Okay everybody, just get out there and run around and shoot a lot and we'll add the cg aliens later and edit it all into something that passes." I thought the first hour of the film was kind of promising. Craig plays a very believable cowboy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    The movie was an utter mess, laughable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not going to bother watching it. Didn't like ANY of the clips I saw anyway.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I will watch it.

But I will not like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll probably forget that I said I wouldn't watch it and end up seeing it when it's on terrestrial. spin
  9. Cowboys and Aliens is a decent enough way to spend two hours, it's not a classic and it doesn't aspire to be.

At least the actors seem to have fun with their roles. I've seen far worse shit than this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.