• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Gilles said:- I'm all for 'The less you see, the more you feel'.

For a great/bad example of this just watch Robert Wise's original THE HAUNTING and compare it with the woeful remake starring Catherine Zeta Jones, even Jerry Goldsmith's score doesn't come anywhere near to matching Humphrey Searle's* gobsmacking score for the original.

*A score I would love to have.

It's funny you mention The Haunting, as I've watched the original on your recommendation a while back, and I didn't think it was THAT scary.

And Jerry's music adds a lot to my enjoyment of the remake, which is more suspenseful (+ has a fantastic sound design, which is ALWAYS a plus in my book).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. "Men Behind the Sun"

Film about the real war crimes committed by the Chinese at a then secret location known as Unit 731.
    Some many know the names of Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Che, and Mussolini, but lesser known is Shiro Ishii.

The things they did to these people are so awful, and depicted so disturbingly realistically, that I ended up skimming through most of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqnftyYW … re=related
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Shiro Ishii is a Japanese name.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shir%C5%8D_Ishii

You watched a whole show about him and came away thinking it was about the CHINESE? Major faux pas! The Chinese were very often on the RECEIVING END of actions of men like Shiro Ishii. Very sensitive matter for the Chinese.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. No, I said I skimmed through msot of it (in my post) because of the awful things in it.

Yes, I made a bo-bo. Break out the franz-paddle. :-)

By the way, I wouldn't suggest anybody watch this, unless they want horrible images forever in their brain.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. I'm just trying to think of a European parallel that would make sense... it's sort of like a post criticising the Jews for their terrible acts during World War II, in particular men like Adolph Eichmann.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    I really enjoyed The Amazing Spiderman movie and the score.
    I haven't been excited about a new score like this in a while. It was great to hear a good heroic theme in the theatre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Bregje wrote
    I really enjoyed The Amazing Spiderman movie and the score.
    I haven't been excited about a new score like this in a while. It was great to hear a good heroic theme in the theatre.

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012
    Well, I already get a feeling what kind of summer vacation this will be!!

It's awfully rainy, we haven't booked anything yet and we've seen quite some movies so far... I think we watched a ridiculous amount of movies last year as well in the summer holiday.... or was it Christmas holiday? I don't remember. I do remember making a list of 30 or 50 titles we saw.

So I'm going to make a list again, this will be fun.

Last night: Iron Man. Enjoyed it a lot! I thought it was great, except that there was no score, at least not one I noticed... anything else: cool. Tony Stark is a wonderful character as well.

Today we'll see part 2 then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
    Two more things about The Amazing Spiderman... I thought the cast was great. But am I the only one who didn't feel anything for the Gwen character? I read in reviews that 'the chemistry was great', but I don't agree on that one. I don't know why...

The other thing has to do with the cast as well: Dr. Connors was great. But I thought, he has something familiar, what movies do I know him from?? So I looked it up and thought 'Crap! It's Spike!!'
    biggrin
    Yes, perhaps stupid I didn't see that earlier (I also did not know his name, Rhys Ifans). But then I went through his photos on IMDB and was amazed. That guy has the ability to look so different in each movie. There were even movies I had seen and I hadn't noticed it was him in it. Very funny. He's like a kameleon. And I also laughed out loud because as himself he looks mostly like Spike, all the press and premiere photos are very funny. And then as Dr. Connors for instance, wow, almost unrecognizable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Well, I already get a feeling what kind of summer vacation this will be!!

It's awfully rainy, we haven't booked anything yet and we've seen quite some movies so far... I think we watched a ridiculous amount of movies last year as well in the summer holiday.... or was it Christmas holiday? I don't remember. I do remember making a list of 30 or 50 titles we saw.

So I'm going to make a list again, this will be fun.

Last night: Iron Man. Enjoyed it a lot! I thought it was great, except that there was no score, at least not one I noticed... anything else: cool. Tony Stark is a wonderful character as well.

I quite enjoyed Iron Man 2 though it's not as good as the first.

Ramin Djawadi got a lot of flack for his Iron Man score and although I can see why I don't think it's that bad, I heard a lot more to it when I last viewed the film though it still won't make me want the album wink

( I liked the music for his first flight )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I wonder if it wasn't the piece Driving with the Top Down (or along those lines) on the album (it's either this scene or the end credits). The cue was ghostwritten by a certain unknown composer called Hans Zimmer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I remember you ( or someone ) mentioned this before Pawel, that is the piece used for first flight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Bregje wrote

I think Iron Man's great, excellent direction and great acting

I though Iron Man 2 was decent, but lacking everything that made the first to amazing, plus I like Don Cheadle a lot, but Terrence Howard was much better in the first film

It's nice to see though for Black Widow though love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Iron Man 2 got the better score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    Iron man was a great movie with a horrible score. Iron man 2 was a boring run for the money with a slightly less horrible score. What horner did was miles away. And the only reason djawadi is getting a bit of redemption is not any score he wrote in his career so far that does indeed have qualities, but for one tv show Main title.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Just watched BRAINSTORM's latest HD release. Mainly for the score, but it turned out to be a cool science fiction, that is as unlikely as it is ridiculous, but I don't mind my sci-fi like that. Dated sets, props and technology aside, at least it's visually stunning (those stretched virtual shots look fantastic in HD) and the score by Horner is of course strong, but the film is largely unscored. So what we have on the album is basically what's in the film. It was great to finally hear it in context. I will be seeing this one again.

7/10
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. "Witness to the Mob" (1998 TV movie)

I didn't have any interest in seeing it until I found myself, for some reason, on orchestrator Sonny Kompanek's IMDB credits (he's worked a bit with Carter Burwell). I noticed He had one composer credit, so I expanded that to see what it was and it was this TV movie.

Sure enough, it was on Youtube, so I went to check it out to see what his only score was like. I ended up enjoying the film a lot. Oddly enough though, no composer is credited for the whole score, but rather:

Stephen Endelman: "Themes By"
    Sonny Kompanek: "Additional Music"

So, themes and additional, but no main composer. To further complicate matters, IMDB has somebody named Steve Donato listed for "background music". I'm guessing, but this was probably a replacement score.

The film is based around two main characters -- Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano and John Gotti, real life mafia members, from their rise, to their fall.

It's casted well (oddly enough, one of the other actor's names is "Johnny Williams"), written well, and the direction is good enough (it's not the directed masterpiece of "The Godfather", but still)
    Robert De Niro is an executive producer on it.

It treads on a good deal of ground covered in other mobster films, so don't expect something more from it.
    If one were to call "The Godfather" #1 -- the TOP, and "Goodfellas" second shelf quality, then one might be able to call "Witness to the Mod" probably a 4th place contender; it's not a materpiece, or even excellent, but for what it is and what it offers and delivers on, it's very enjoyable.

The only down sides: it'll never be timeless like those to previous films I mentioned, or any other classic mafia film I left out. It doesn't have the cojones or over all quality, and unlike the aforementioned classics, this film shoved in politics. Two snipes at Ronald Reagan thrown in, pointlessly, out of the blue, for no reason -- just throw away attacks. Some FBI agents are listening to the Sammy and Gotti talk, while theyr sit in an apartment; in the background of the place Sammy & gang are at, the TV is playing a speech by Reagan. Choice lines from the FBI -- the bulk the entire sceen, really just seems to be written and shoved in for the attack:

"this guy's a bigger liar than you"

"Reagan and Italian muzak; I can't take much more of this," one FBI officer.
    "I don't know which is worse," another FBI officer.

You know what else is awful, aside from the garbage liberal crap shoved in there? The lazy, pathetic writting. In fact, the all the FBI officers seen in the film were poorly cast and their acting wasn't up to snuff with the rest of the cast in the film -- which is odd. Everybody else was, but not them. Go figure.

The score? I'm not sure how to go about describing it. It's certainly no "The Godfather", and it doesn't seem to have any cohesive, over all connective whole, but there are enjoyable cues nonetheless.
    The murder of the main boss during the first half of the film, the end credits music -- both nice pieces, for example.
    It's mainly orchestra, but I could easily identify orchestra samples used here and there, including one I know I've heard a number of times in "The X-Files". I'm not sure how this would do as a CD release, but it would make an interesting promo. There's no samples at Endelman's site, and Kompanek's site has gone down in the passed few days, so I can't say about his either.

If you have any interest, the movie is split into 18 parts on Youtube. Herei s Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IowhvQ3rMDM
  10. I have just watched the first episode of 'The Newsroom'.

I can officially state that I'm in love with Aaron Sorkin.
    This is what I love.
    This is TV as it should be made.
    I haven't felt like this since I saw my first episode of The West Wing (OK, I started watching at the beginning of season 2, but S2E01 is a kickass episode and got me hooked)...

I wish this show a decent run (apparently it already got picked up for a second season), and I'll be enjoying every episode of it...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the p
  11. Southall wrote
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the p

You are going to have to elaborate on that one, James. Because I am missing your point wink
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    The Godfather

It's been a few years but I bought the Blu-Ray box set of the trilogy. I love this film. Brando's performance is deservedly iconic but this is Al Pacino's film and the hammy parody of himself he became later shouldn't take away from his early brilliance.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing is that this truly exceptional film is not even amongst the top three films that Francis Ford Coppola made in the 1970s. And speaking of people whose later indiscretions have rather clouded people's judgement of their earlier triumphs - there is surely no greater example in the field of directors than FFC.
  12. It's an amazing film. I watched it late last year and was just amazed that the most popular film of its time was a beautifully crafted, intelligent piece of work, with nary an action scene or car chase or destiny-bound-lad or geek fantasy in sight.
  13. A masterpiece. The commentary on the new DVD (I didn't have BR when I bought the movies and I don't intend to replace my DVD collection with DVDs) is also quite something. Very candid.

Am I the only listening to director commentaries here? Michael Mann is a bit too much about himself and his research (Public Enemies was a disappointment in that regard), some of the best commentary tracks I've heard were from Tony Scott and Ridley Scott.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's commentaries are the best... HANDS DOWN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jack Nicholson's for Antonioni's THE PASSENGER is brilliant...if you can understand his gravelly whisky voice. It's the only one he's done.

I also like Ridley Scott's commentaries. Otherwise, the interesting ones are few and far between.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Am I the only listening to director commentaries here? Michael Mann is a bit too much about himself and his research (Public Enemies was a disappointment in that regard), some of the best commentary tracks I've heard were from Tony Scott and Ridley Scott.

I find the 'let's talk in real time against the film' format doesn't always work so well, although I listened to them quite a bit when dvd's first came out. Separate docos are usually the best way to get into material for me. Having said that, I remember Michael Mann's COLLATERAL commentary was very good in explaining why each section of Los Angeles was used for different parts of that story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I find the 'let's talk in real time against the film' format doesn't always work so well, although I listened to them quite a bit when dvd's first came out. Separate docos are usually the best way to get into material for me. Having said that, I remember Michael Mann's COLLATERAL commentary was very good in explaining why each section of Los Angeles was used for different parts of that story.

True, but I find the 'realtime' format the only way the creators can really address specific details, which is what interests an analyst like myself. In interviews otherwise (or even documentaries), it's usually more general terms, which I find less interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. True true... There's more room for the sort of things that don't come up under focused questioning. I just find they usually keep talking about the last scene they really care about for the next few scenes, but the visuals make it hard to focus on what they're saying.

In the case of Lord of the Rings or Blade Runner, I wouldn't trade the excellent documentaries on the films (practically feature length themselves) for the fairly uninteresting commentaries. Admittedly those aren't typical cases.
  16. In the case of Blade Runner I love both Ridley's commentary (haven't listened to the other ones) and the documentary.

Ridley is very candid about his decisions, always.
  17. I must admit I haven't heard Ridley's commentary on that film. His introduction to the different versions of the films -- where he looks like he's half asleep and extremely unenthused -- did put me off. Sounds like the commentaries themselves are better?