• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Titanic is master stroke in the art of technical film making and Cameron nailed it so well he is able to transport us all onto that ship for two hours before it all goes to hell. The love story is just an excuse to make us live and go through the horror and despair of that night. And I happen to love the love story too. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Titanic is master stroke in the art of technical film making and Cameron nailed it so well he is able to transport us all onto that ship for two hours before it all goes to hell. The love story is just an excuse to make us live and go through the horror and despair of that night. And I happen to love the love story too. smile

Was it only two hours? I felt he transported me there for far, far longer than that. wink
    I prefer the films which don't need excuses to get us to the bit the filmmaker really cares about. (I guess that applies to Brian DePalma too, and Scorsese's HUGO.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2012
    Did someone mention Brian de Palma?
  3. Excellent filmmaker! (every 10 minutes or so)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are about ten consecutive minutes in Snake Eyes which are excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2012 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Is it necessary to have seen the Alien movies before seeing Prometheus?

Whether they are necessary or not, Alien and Aliens are movies that you must see. Reading Hamlet, seeing the Mona Lisa, visiting the Colosseum and watching Alien, Aliens and Weekend at Bernie's; these are all works of art that you have to experience before you can consider yourself an educated individual.

Peter smile
  4. Southall wrote

There are.
  5. Southall wrote

There are about 140 minutes in Carlito's Way which are excellent too.

I like Femme Fatale, Mission to Mars has its moments and awesome visuals.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. plindboe wrote
    Reading Hamlet, seeing the Mona Lisa, visiting the Colosseum and watching Alien, Aliens and Weekend at Bernie's; these are all works of art that you have to experience before you can consider yourself an educated individual.

Peter smile

Haha! A must-see if there ever was one, especially for the flawless performance of the dead guy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

There are about 140 minutes in Carlito's Way which are excellent too.

I like Femme Fatale, Mission to Mars has its moments and awesome visuals.

De Palma's films are usually worth watching. An audiovisual spectacle if nothing else, and sometimes there is something else (Snake Eyes, Carlito's Way, Mission to Mars, Untouchables, Scarface - I'd name others too if franz_conrad weren't watching).
  7. Ha!

I do agree, they're normally worth watching, and the best 10 scenes from each are usually worth studying in great detail. But the stories... yikes... on occasion the acting too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012 edited
    SCARFACE which bafflingly gets so much kudos is the most laughably ludicrous OTT gangster film I've seen.

Grrrrrrrrrrrreat fun though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Reading Hamlet, seeing the Mona Lisa, visiting the Colosseum and watching Alien, Aliens and Weekend at Bernie's; these are all works of art that you have to experience before you can consider yourself an educated individual.

Peter smile

Haha! A must-see if there ever was one, especially for the flawless performance of the dead guy. biggrin

Indeed, this guy plays a better stiff than Ben Affleck.

Been ages since I saw it, but I remember it being hilarious.

Peter smile
  8. Timmer wrote
    SCARFACE which bafflingly gets so much kudos is the most laughably ludicrous OTT gangster film I've seen.

Grrrrrrrrrrrreat fun though.

I've been meaning to ask this but what does OTT stand for? Is that an acronym? tongue

Does it mean 'Ommage to Tim'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've been meaning to ask this but what does OTT stand for? Is that an acronym? tongue

HERE!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Thanks but look who posted it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WTFAYTA?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Saw The Expendables Sunday evening. Pure shit with the exception of the insanely over the top "Fry and Die" sequence that takes place about half way through the movie. Pure 80's awesomeness. Tyler's music during the sequence was the only cue that match the drama perfectly. The rest of the score and film bored me. However, I'm still interested in seeing the second film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The only cue I enjoyed from that was "Massive", and likewise even though I thought the film was shit I'm still going to see the second one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Saw The Expendables Sunday evening. Pure shit with the exception of the insanely over the top "Fry and Die" sequence that takes place about half way through the movie. Pure 80's awesomeness. Tyler's music during the sequence was the only cue that match the drama perfectly. The rest of the score and film bored me. However, I'm still interested in seeing the second film.

-Erik-

Movie and score were awesome, can't wait for the sequel! Brain off, fun on!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My idea of a fun film needs a bit more brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just a bit... but not much really. wink I like the idea of Stallone wanting to create a throw back 80's action flick using washed up 80's action stars but even those old 80's plots had a little something to them. The Expendables story was just plain awful and big waste of time.

-Erik-
  10. Come now Erik, there werejust a bit too much testosterone filled gunfights and big explosions to call it pure shit, no?

I love the film and seeing this with the surround all the way up will have the neighbours knocking on your door in anger. punk I thought the whole ending action sequence was as good a throwback to anything the 80s and 90s have produced. I was basically laughing out loud the whole time. biggrin
  11. Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

So that score is awesome huh? I'm wondering what you would call something that truly fits the description... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Come now Erik, there werejust a bit too much testosterone filled gunfights and big explosions to call it pure shit, no?

I don't mind explosions and gunfights but these were BORING!

DreamTheater wrote
    I love the film and seeing this with the surround all the way up will have the neighbours knocking on your door in anger. punk I thought the whole ending action sequence was as good a throwback to anything the 80s and 90s have produced. I was basically laughing out loud the whole time. biggrin

Meh. The sound was decent but nothing spectacular. I thought the last act was garbage. But then again, I didn't care about ANY of those characters or the stupidity of Stallone going back for a girl he only met for two minutes in the middle of the picture.

Demetris wrote

Yeah... no. Predator, Commando, First Blood, Die Hard...action films that are awesome with awesome scores. The Expendables was auto-pilot rubbish with a generic, lame, forgettable score. Actually, you know what was an surprising action flick that came out around the same time? The A-Team. That was a film that captured the magic of 80's over the top TV shows with a cast of characters that you actually cared about and had chemistry together. I would LOVE to see more from THAT cast!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Come now Erik, there werejust a bit too much testosterone filled gunfights and big explosions to call it pure shit, no?

I don't mind explosions and gunfights but these were BORING!

rolleyes

Boring is not how I would describe them. wink

DreamTheater wrote

Meh. The sound was decent but nothing spectacular. I thought the last act was garbage. But then again, I didn't care about ANY of those characters or the stupidity of Stallone going back for a girl he only met for two minutes in the middle of the picture.

-Erik-

No offense but your sound system must not be set-up properly... shocked

You picked the DTS-HD 7.1 track right?

And you raised the point of stupidity in this film. But wasn't that what Stallone wanted to do with The Expandables? A good hommage to stupid 80s action films? On that point he has succeeded very well IMO.
  12. The Innkeepers

Decent stuff. Actually there's very little scary material, but when they arrive, they are very good. The final minute is rubbish and changed my impression a bit, but overall considering the material to work with, it's decent. Plus I liked Sara Paxton's character. A bit of a goof, but such a cute goof (the garbage scene was so funny biggrin )

have to say, good musical score too. Very effective

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Boring is not how I would describe them. wink

Unloading 7 million rounds with zero drama or creativity is boring.

DreamTheater wrote
    No offense but your sound system must not be set-up properly... shocked

You picked the DTS-HD 7.1 track right?

I don't have 7.1 capabilities but my 5.1 is just fine! I get great sound out of stuff like Predator, Die Hard, etc but The Expendables was a mess. Loud doesn't mean better.

DreamTheater wrote
    And you raised the point of stupidity in this film. But wasn't that what Stallone wanted to do with The Expandables? A good hommage to stupid 80s action films? On that point he has succeeded very well IMO.

I brought up stupidity to describe the motivations of the character. I didn't care about any of The Expendables unlike in 80's action films where you actual cared about the character(s) and their motivations. Matrix racing against time to find his daughter in Commando, John McLaine's desperate attempt to save his wife and escape Nakatomi in Die Hard, a platoon deep in the jungles of Central America trying to survive against an invisible alien hunter in Predator, an unstable Vietnam war vet goes to war against a small town in First Blood, a veteran cop and a unstable young cop attempt to stop drug smugglers in Lethal Weapon, cyborg cop hunts down the men who tried to kill him in Robocop, etc. Great characters, good stories, proper motivation and brilliant action sequences.

-Erik-
  13. I like the characters and what they have to do in the film, but primarily the action is what saves the movie for me. It's just so ridiculously over the top to me it constantly feels like good old popcorn entertainment, of the kind I like having in my collection. Looking forward to the sequel with our own JC Van Damme again on the big screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    We've seen Alien. So Aliens is next.
    I don't like scary stuff but there were enough interesting things left for me.

One thing I enjoyed was watching this movie knowing that it's as old as I am. Some things didn't seem so old and some things did... Always fun to watch old sci-fi movies and see what they thought would be the future, especially when it comes to computers. Bearded men smoking inside a space ship is very 70's too.

So Aliens is next. And then Prometheus, hopefully. Good to know it isn't that scary, but different. I don't know exactly why I want to see it, but I just do.