• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yeah, it was.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Is it any good though? What little I saw of it suggested they might have taken the tale a little too literally. (Apichatpong's Thai film 'Tropical Malady' seems to strike a better tone in its 'hunt for tiger' tale.)

Yes, it's good. It's no masterpiece, and like you say, there are some elements that could have worked in a more discrete way. But it relies on realism while having this lumbering 'unease' all the way through, never quite being able to put your finger on it.

I've only seen UNCLE BONMEE of Apichatpong's movies, so I don't know how it compares to TROPICAL MALADY.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DINOSAURS biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    DINOSAURS biggrin

As in "speaking of extinct species"? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the old OTT narration spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I watched TAXI DRIVER for the first time this weekend. Let's just say with this first viewing I wasn't totally blown away by it, but I thought it was very good and there are a couple of things that stand out and make it a true cinematic gem, and one that I intend to revisit in the future.

- Bobby De Niro is of course Travis Bickle, nobody else could've portrayed this man on a downward spiral into violence and madness. I liked his Jake La Motta performance in Raging Bull even more, but these two persons couldn't be more different. Bickle is a solitary man and his loneliness and reservedness makes his outburst into violence all the more scary.

- The way 70s New York is shown as a gritty, filthy and generally unpleasant place during the night hours. The camera work and how the movie is shot is fantastic, it shows even better on the remastered blu-ray, the way Scorsese captured the feel of that pessimistic city life during that period.

- The score by Bernard Hermann, which is the main stand-out factor and it sounds fantastic on this new release I might add. I think this is the first entire Hermann score I've heard (in and outside the film) as opposed to hearing a couple of cues here and there from his other films. Needless to say the atmosphere of the film is in no small part thanks to the music. From the very first notes I was intruiged by the score, the originality in the use of instruments (that harp !!!) and as the film went on I commented: "now THIS is film music, they don't make em like this anymore". Instantly memorable themes, a unique approach to make the music stand out alongside the visuals, to contribute immensely to telling the story as Paul Shrader has envisioned it. This is what film music composition is about IMO, to make it as strong a character as the leads in the film. That theme for the girl in the film (Cybil Shepherd) is stuck in my head ever since.

Also the supplements are very interesting too, I just love these kind of bonus features where they go in depth in how the script originated and what motivated everybody involved to make such a film.

8 out of 10 (for now)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    Alltime classic film, of course, and it was about time you saw it, Gilles!

There's very little to say that hasn't already been said over the years, but I recently wrote an article on TAXI DRIVER and 'urban soundscapes' in other films/scores as well:

http://montages.no/2012/01/arven-fra-ta … sikkpoesi/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    Wow, impressive there Gilles. I've never seen it either, as with many classics. Sometimes you need a trigger!
    Kazoo
  3. It's funny but since a couple of older films have been released on blu-ray, the format has allowed me to discover some classics I had dismissed before for various reasons (not my kind of flick, no local release, whatever). But seeing / hearing these older films on this format is something of an eye-opener (literally). In the end, it's these movies that survive for generations to discover and the ability to watch them as the makers intended is something they never dreamed of being possible back then.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited
    The Woman in Black

Harry Potter is quite good in this, though I didn't understand why he didn't use his magical powers; surely an expelliarmus spell would have worked wonders. The movie succeeded at creating a creepy atmosphere and had some good shock moments (despite my frequent irritation at horrors trying to startle you with cheap effects).

Rating: 6

The Wolfman

Slow, but got the dark atmosphere right, and I enjoyed the homages to An american werewolf in London (The greatest werewolf movie ever made).

Rating: 6

4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Shite. The characters and actors are without charisma, and the way too many moments that were supposed to be funny, weren't.

Rating: 3

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

I liked this more than the two preceding M:I movies. Can't remember the first one.

Rating: 8

Super 8

Charming, entertaining movie with a heart and a beautiful ending, reminding me of other adventure movies from my childhood with great child actors, like The Goonies and Stand by me.

Rating: 8

Battleship

This has everything I loath about many modern blockbusters: Predictability; unintelligent and simplistic dialogue; ridiculous unrealism; cheap score; main actors hired due to their looks, rather than their abilities; more about effects and explosions than content; movie clichés ad nauseum.

...but somehow I enjoyed it quite alot. Don't ask; I won't be able to explain why this happened.

Rating: 7

V for vendetta

The complete opposite of the movie above. Excellent writing; every scene is carefully thought out; not a single moment of boredom; important political issues/values; fantastic actors; great story-telling and an excellent finale with perfect music.

Rating: 10

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    A rightful string of blockbusters there, plindboe!

I'm curious about THE WOMAN IN BLACK, though. Never got around to that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Hehe, yes, guess I've been in a blockbuster mood. smile

I recommend it, Thor. It's not a low-quality movie at all, it does a good job of telling the story, and Radcliffe is in fact rather likable. It's nothing revolutionary either though, but you have probably guessed that from the trailer.

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    V for vendetta

The complete opposite of the movie above. Excellent writing; every scene is carefully thought out; not a single moment of boredom; important political issues/values; fantastic actors; great story-telling and an excellent finale with perfect music.

Rating: 10

Peter smile

you said, one of the best flicks I've ever seen. Such a powerful movie!
    Agree about Super 8 and The Wolfman too

this weekend we'll see MI4
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. V for Vendetta is a killer movie, I agree. Brilliantly shot and acted. The character of V is just the epitome of cool!
  6. Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Awesome, awesome film! Fast-paced and witty... full of the coolest gadgets and stunts that made me go WTF. Brad Bird sure looks to have a bright future ahead of him. The Giacchino score stood out wonderfully. I liked what I heard, because it was loud and brassy in the sound mix. The sound guys hit this one out of the ballpark with one of the liveliest sound mixes I've heard in a while, and I've heard some. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    The character of V is just the epitome of cool!

Except he's not....but that is rather more vividly clear in Alan Moore's graphic novel: V is an incredibly dangerous, unbelievably aggressive sociopath with no regard for life whatsoever. ...lit's just that his opponents are worse that makes him stand out.

It's the sort of moral dichotomy Moore excels at. I generally don't like it (more realistic as it may be, it doesn't always make for better storytelling), but in his, often highly convoluted storytelling, it makes for an excellent vehicle.

Nowhere better though than in his The Watchmen: at the end of the day, it's Rohrschach who makes the only possible moral choice (for which he cannot be allowed to live)...and the guy is an absolute sociopath! Worse even than V! More than V though, I think Rohrshach is a hero...and I'm rather disturbed by that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    RV: Dark Shadows

Burton and Depp overplay their hands in this luscious-looking, but empty and boring retelling of the old gothic soap series. Once again they try for tongue-in-cheek, but the humor is forced and puerile, and we've seen and heard ALL the "guy out of time being amusingly befuddled by 20th century life" jokes way too many times before now.

Depp goes for a cross between Max Shrek (suggesting Edward Scissorhands more than anything else) and basically every other single faux-English role he's playee in the last ten years, but the mannerisms are stale and tiresome.

The film does receive some credit for uniting Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green and Helena Bonham Carter, all three of which I adore and would marry in a heartbeat, but other than that, this film is eminently skippable.
    The story is silly and ultimately boring, and the film at two hours is FAR too long.

2 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012
    Except for the odd film ( I liked Ed Wood a lot ) I find Burton's dark gothic visions a bore but always visually alluring at the same time, I'll watch it on DVD.

p.s. I liked your V and Watchmen comments, I totally agree.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Awesome, awesome film! Fast-paced and witty... full of the coolest gadgets and stunts that made me go WTF. Brad Bird sure looks to have a bright future ahead of him. The Giacchino score stood out wonderfully. I liked what I heard, because it was loud and brassy in the sound mix. The sound guys hit this one out of the ballpark with one of the liveliest sound mixes I've heard in a while, and I've heard some. cool

you said it bro, pleasantly surprised by this too. Even though I knew it was gonna be good, I didn't think it would be that good

8 out of 10

---------------------------------

The Mechanic (2011)

A remake (starring one of the people's favorite action stars Jason Statham) of the Charles Bronson classic is a typical action thriller by todays standards, but what heightens this movie is the action itself. Though the plot is pretty familiar, the gruesome violence and the amazing old fashioned gun ho finale is what elevates this action film to a pleasant level. And besides, Statham rarely fails in these types of movies.

7 out of 10

Final Destination 5

I've seen them all. I liked the first one and I really liked the second one. I however didn't think the world of the 3rd and I absolutely puked on the fourth, so I was just hoping the fifth would stop the diminishing quality of these types of movies. And yes, it has! Big Time. First of all, the opening disaster is right up there with the second, it is a monumental extravaganza of thrills and horror, and is for once equally riveting and thrilling (just like the second). Plus it looks visually amazing (not like the cheap 4th one). Also, the deaths itself that follow are different from all the rest, because you usually expect it to go that way, and then suddenly it takes a whole different turn, surprising you in the middle and horrifying you in the end. But what literally completes this movie is the surprising end, because you just do not see this one coming. Fantastic cliffhanger scene which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I have to admit, Tyler's music is in some parts enormously entertaining

7 out of 10

Meet the Fockers

Sequels tend to overdo it, but Meet the Fockers does it so deliciously that I don't mind at all. The best thing is that they add Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand as Gaylord's quirky parents, by that counterattacking the stiff unemotional side of Pam's parents. In short, Hoffman and De Niro steal the show. From the first minute to the last, I've kept grinning and laughing.

8 out of 10

Little Fockers

Sadly I didn't laugh from the first minute, hell, I've rarely laughed during this. Because they literally threw away the biggest charm of the second movie, namely Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand. Plus while the emotional ending is nice, it doesn't erase the childish humor that came before it. Sorry, but what a waste. Why someone else had to direct this, and in the end even score it is beyond me. Never change a winning team, even if the entire team of actors returns in the end.

5 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Final Destination 5

I've seen them all. I liked the first one and I really liked the second one. I however didn't think the world of the 3rd and I absolutely puked on the fourth, so I was just hoping the fifth would stop the diminishing quality of these types of movies. And yes, it has! Big Time. First of all, the opening disaster is right up there with the second, it is a monumental extravaganza of thrills and horror, and is for once equally riveting and thrilling (just like the second). Plus it looks visually amazing (not like the cheap 4th one). Also, the deaths itself that follow are different from all the rest, because you usually expect it to go that way, and then suddenly it takes a whole different turn, surprising you in the middle and horrifying you in the end. But what literally completes this movie is the surprising end, because you just do not see this one coming. Fantastic cliffhanger scene which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I have to admit, Tyler's music is in some parts enormously entertaining

7 out of 10

Hmm. I'm in doubt. On the one hand, I'm glad you liked the fifth installment this much and take it as a recommendation to go see it anyway, hoping to end (?) on a positive not for the franchise. On the other hand, I'm the exact opposite in rating the previous films, even though I've only seen the first 3.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment, took it back then as a fresh twist on the teen horror which had gone incredibly clichéd and bored again in the 4 years after Scream resurrected the genre. That second part, however, left me irritated beyond belief and I consider it among the worst films ever made. It's messy, the self-aware tone is stretched toward ludicrousness, there's no tension regarding the death scenes, the new 'rules' are inconsequential and lack any kind of logic, characters act like typical cliche horror-characters as opposed to the refreshingly sensible ones from the original, and that ending is so misguided that it makes you wonder if the director even knew what he was doing. In short, director Ellis had NO understanding of what made the first film so great.

I was very glad the original creators of the series returned for part 3 and chose to ignore the second installment, returning to a more restrained tongue-in-cheekness and got rid of the new 'rules', giving the film a better tone and balance and concentrating on suspense instead of ridiculous plotting. When Ellis returned for the fourth film, I didn't bother watching it. Good reviews, including yours, on the fifth got me thinking about seeing it. Your comment about the ending is certainly convincing; those cliffhangers are a great attraction of the films. Also, having heard the scores, I like how respectful Tyler is of Shirley Walker's original themes and tone, while also infusing it with his own style, so to hear that in context should be cool as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The character of V is just the epitome of cool!

Except he's not....but that is rather more vividly clear in Alan Moore's graphic novel: V is an incredibly dangerous, unbelievably aggressive sociopath with no regard for life whatsoever. ...lit's just that his opponents are worse that makes him stand out.

It's the sort of moral dichotomy Moore excels at. I generally don't like it (more realistic as it may be, it doesn't always make for better storytelling), but in his, often highly convoluted storytelling, it makes for an excellent vehicle.

Nowhere better though than in his The Watchmen: at the end of the day, it's Rohrschach who makes the only possible moral choice (for which he cannot be allowed to live)...and the guy is an absolute sociopath! Worse even than V! More than V though, I think Rohrshach is a hero...and I'm rather disturbed by that.

Great post, but I wouldn't say that V's sociopathy makes him any less cool. Coolness often have to do with lack of normal human emotion, like fear or uncertainty. Perhaps that's why sunglasses make people look cool, because they cover up most of our emotions and make us look indifferent. <- curious sidenote

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Final Destination 5

But what literally completes this movie is the surprising end, because you just do not see this one coming. Fantastic cliffhanger scene which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I have to admit, Tyler's music is in some parts enormously entertaining

7 out of 10

I found the ending one of the most intelligent endings I've seen recently. What a great way of finishing off (I hope) the series. Definitely didn't see it coming. Nobody in the cinema did, given the reaction of the people. Brilliant.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Final Destination 5

But what literally completes this movie is the surprising end, because you just do not see this one coming. Fantastic cliffhanger scene which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I have to admit, Tyler's music is in some parts enormously entertaining

7 out of 10

I found the ending one of the most intelligent endings I've seen recently. What a great way of finishing off (I hope) the series. Definitely didn't see it coming. Nobody in the cinema did, given the reaction of the people. Brilliant.

there's talk about a sixth one, so who knows

but yes, that ending is just perfect. You do not see it coming.

Bob, I found the second that good because the opening disaster is for me the best one of them all (though 1 and 5 comes pretty close), and I liked the fact you knew what to expect (aka death luring behind the corner). Good you liked the 3rd one, but I'm pretty sure you'll like the 5th one too, if only for that amazing end wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    Just saw: PROMETHEUS ***

Ok, to start with the negative: narratively speaking, this film has issues. Lots. In order to not spoil them on this boards, I won't get into them much, but let's be content with stating there are serious development issues of characters, both human and (crucially) those that are part of the bigger philosophy at play here. All these ambitions poured into the film get in the way of suspense here. To be clear: this is not a film that builds tension - it's a film that has you wonder what will happen next, along with some tense moments and creapy scenes. In that respect, this is not an Alien film. Prometheus, clearly, is something different.

Knowing this, and setting the issues of the final (messy) act aside, Scott still knows how to create a great environment, shoot a film and use special effects. The opening is stunning, the ambition on display still invokes respect (better and more original than simply delivering once again an Alien film... right?), Fassbender is great as David (as usual), there are a few dramatic moments and the film still keeps you guessing on what will happen next. It's not a disaster, it's a fun film. But ultimately, it wants too much and delivers too little, leaving you wanting for more. And no, I don't mean a sequel. It feels a bit like a missed opportunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Sorry to hear that. But it wouldn't be fun if we all reacted the same way.

It's not a PERFECT film to me either. There are a few issues that prevent it from becoming an instant classic. I'd give it a 5+ in a 1-6 scale (of which 6 is the best).

Unlike you, I thought it was amazingly focussed considering the vast philosophical and mythological backdrop it has.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Am I too much of a worrier when words such as "philosophical" and "mythological" are used un a film's desciption.

Or do I just prefer shallow pulp films?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Am I too much of a worrier when words such as "philosophical" and "mythological" are used un a film's desciption.

Or do I just prefer shallow pulp films?

The film can be enjoyed on many levels. If you're just in it for "the ride", it satisfies. But if you want some weighty ideas as well -- like all good sci fi has -- then it has that too.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Robert Zemeckis' Contact is an example of the philosophical approach (the religious / political undertones) and wonder and excitement of Ellie's adventure (the ride) working in perfect combination. One of my favourite sci-fi films.

Or 2001: A Space Odyssey, another one that boggles the mind as well as satisfies the thrill-seeker in me.

Looking foward to the ride in Prometheus myself, and if it goes deeper than that, well that's bonus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Looking foward to the ride in Prometheus myself, and if it goes deeper than that, well that's bonus.

I'd say that's the right attitude in this case. By the way, now you've mentioned Kubrick's masterpiece, Prometheus' first shot does match 2001's. So there are references and inspirations.
  11. I, on the other hand, got to see STALKER the other night on the big screen. I don't think Prometheus has a chance at living up to that one as far as philosophical aspirations go. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am