• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote
    You could easily skip Hulk and Iron Man 2 and you would miss nothing from Avengers, but the other others are definitely worth watching. You won't enjoy Avengers as much without watching the other films, but I imagine it would still be a lot of fun. I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much.

Thomas and I just saw Thor before going to watch The Avengers, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. With Thor (at home) I liked the whole Norse mythology thing and the film was entertaining throughout, Chris Hemsworth knows how to carry a superhero film and the action / story was well handled by Kenneth Branagh.

Then it was off to The Avengers, this could have been even more fun, were it not for some very annoying youngsters who did their own take on the fight sequences, screams and goof-balling included. It took me out of the film a couple of times. I mean who the hell pays 10 euros per ticket just to not watch the film and act silly all the time? But seeing this home will make it completely fun, I'm sure.

Next up is Iron Man 2, the only one in the series we haven't seen.

So it's turning out to be a Marvel(lous) day for us. cheesy

yeah, the kids were definitely annoying. But you'll enjoy it so much more at home, like Thor which pleasantly surprised us.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregje wrote
    I have a question about the Avengers. Is it neccessary to know all these superheroes?
    I don't think I've seen any of the movies nor read the books about any of them! The kids don't know them either, so is this movie also good as a 'stand alone'?

no, not really

it's more a feeling of "haha, cool, they reprise their same roles" or "oh excellent, they're back". You will not enjoy the movie less if you haven't seen the other movies, but I think you'll enjoy it slightly more knowing who returns and why? Just like a sequel, you already know the characters and so you laugh at them a little more because you know what makes em tick

meaning Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk (slightly) and Iron Man is fun to see beforehand, but not necessary

you'll enjoy it because it's a different story, they just put them all together for the first time

Thanks for your reply! I read that just before leaving for the cinema.

So we saw The Avengers and enjoyed it a lot! I can understand how seeing the other movies would make things more familiar at once but it was a story on it's own and the kids got it too. Now we can watch the other movies afterwards, that could be nice as well.
    smile

Edward Norton did the Hulk? Weird choice.
    I thought it was Eric Bana who did a Hulk movie.
    Mark Ruffalo was perfect in my opinion! Really good for the Bruce Banner character. And the other guy. wink

We had some annoying kids too in the theatre. (Not ours! They watched silently in awe...)
    Almost threw a Malthezer at them. After the break they were talking for 10 minutes, why not leave if you're not watching?? Some annoying adults too by the way, but I managed to focus on the movie.

What did you not like about the disagreement between the Avengers? Not well acted?
    Because I liked that. It would be boring and suspicious if they all get along and trust eachother blindly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    What did you not like about the disagreement between the Avengers? Not well acted?
    Because I liked that. It would be boring and suspicious if they all get along and trust eachother blindly?

For me, it was just so "forced". As in 'ah, we have this disparate group, let's get them to disagree by talking over each other in one sequence untill it ends with Banna/Hulk being wound up'. There will obviously be tension with so many distinct and different personalities thrown together, but it could have been more organic and integrated. Not just tagged on 'ad hoc'. There were a few other examples of 'forced intrigue' too. But on the other hand, this is not a serious character study, so I don't expect Bergman or whatever.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012 edited
    Bregje, there were two previous HULK movies, Eric Banna played him in Ang Lee's version simply titled HULK and Edward Norton played him in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, Lee's version is an intelligent and more cerebral take and a bit underrated IMO, the Norton film is more of a comic book smash em up and is good fun, it's this film that ties in with the rest of the Marvel character films.

p.s. Ed Norton would have reprised his role in THE AVENGERS if he hadn't had a fall out with the Marvel producers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought Eric Bana was brilliant in the -- by far -- best HULK screen adaptation of all time (including the old cheesy tv show). Wish they had kept him, but it seems like they want to banish the Lee film out of existence. Which is a shame, because it's one of the best comic book films I've seen. HUGELY, HUGELY underrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje, there were two previous HULK movies, Eric Banna played him in Ang Lee's version simply titled HULK and Edward Norton played him in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, Lee's version is an intelligent and more cerebral take and a bit underrated IMO, the Norton film is more of a comic book smash em up and is good fun, it's this film that ties in with the rest of the Marvel character films.

p.s. Ed Norton would have reprised his role in THE AVENGERS if he hadn't had a fall out with the Marvel producers.

Ah, didn't know that fact. But now that I think about it, unless he would've done some 'American History X' style power training for the part, he'd be the odd one out in 'The Avengers', physically speaking. I still liked how he portrayed the character though. Also for that reason I much prefer 'The Incredible Hulk'. The action is much more intense and in your face than in 'Hulk'.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just watched the 3 Matrix films. The first film is still brilliant from start to finish (though the human battery concept is thermodynamics 101 fail). The second one had a boring first half hour, but following that it had plenty of exciting and cool scenes. I love the third film as well. I'm not sure why it's so reviled, other than I think people were disappointed that too little of the movie occured inside the Matrix.

Matrix 1: Rating 10
    Matrix 2: Rating 8
    Matrix 3: Rating 9

Peter smile
  2. Agree, the first one, which is plain awesome is still head and shoulders above the sequels but they're good films in their own way. With Revolutions I like the premise of having to fight for the survival of Zion, and that it's not The One doing most of the fighting, but actually the soldiers and inhabitants desperately and against all odds.

Besides all these movies rock on a good sound system. The sound of the Nebuchadnezzar flying by is still one of my favourite sound effects ever, you can feel it in your gut. The sound design for the first film in particular is jaw-dropping. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like all of them too, but the first is unquestionably a post-modern classic, already a milestone in film and popular culture (and defining of the period it came out).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    With Revolutions I like the premise of having to fight for the survival of Zion, and that it's not The One doing most of the fighting, but actually the soldiers and inhabitants desperately and against all odds.

Indeed, I like the impending doom (à la Helm's Deep) kinda feel to it. The third film also has continuous awesome battle sequences with lotsa cool ideas, I especially like how the "squids" behave almost like lifeforms individually, but moves in a wave-like pattern when there are thousands.

Some of the acting failed, but otherwise I found the third movie a fantastic sci-fi flick.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a modern classic, I still wonder how much better this film(s) could have been if Brandon Lee ( The Crow ) had lived and had the role that Keanu Reeves had.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It's a modern classic, I still wonder how much better this film(s) could have been if Brandon Lee ( The Crow ) had lived and had the role that Keanu Reeves had.

Good casting wish choice!

Reeves is indeed one of the few aspects of the films I don't like, but at least he's tolerable here, as opposed to other films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I like Keanu Reeves in the movies because he has a cool look about him, He's not a great actor though, but he's not terrible either. Several scenes in these movies though demanded great performances, where good performances wouldn't suffice, so he failed in a few of these scenes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think he's the definition of a terrible actor. He's better than Adam Sandler, but that's not saying much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think a terrible actor would have completely destroyed the movies. An ok actor did what he did, i.e. made it work, but failed at some of the more demanding scenes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

If those ratings were out of a hundred, I'd still find them a little generous for the second and third films.

My own ratings would be (out of ten) six, one and one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

If those ratings were out of a hundred, I'd still find them a little generous for the second and third films.

My own ratings would be (out of ten) six, one and one.

I'm a little more generous than you. Nine, four and two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I don't get you guys... and I'm glad I don't. I find lots to enjoy in these movies.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    I don't get you guys... and I'm glad I don't. I find lots to enjoy in these movies.

Peter smile

Same here. Some of the 'edge' of the first film becomes watered out somewhat, but they manage to expand upon the universe and keep me on the edge of my seat throughout.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Considering everybody's got the hots for the Avengers nowadays, I thought it was only fitting to post this unbelievable box office report. It shows Hollywood has no problem with the crisis at all. And that in just 3 days shocked

GO AVENGERS GO smile

Box Office
    1 The Avengers (2012) $200M
    2 Think Like a Man (2012) $8M
    3 The Hunger Games (2012) $5.7M
    4 The Lucky One (2012) $5.51M
    5 The Pirates! Band of Misfits $5.4M
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Box Office

The really impressive numbers are these:

THE HUNGER GAMES (as of May, 6th): $380,727,000
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: TAKE SHELTER (2011)

Very interesting film. A father has dreams of an impending storm that turns people into zombies, but he isn't believed by his family or surroundings, especially not as he spends his time buildnig a storm shelter. The film balances the suspicion that he's beginning to develop paranoid schizophrenia with the feeling that it might be real; that they are real 'omens'. Sounds like a horror, but it isn't really. It's downkey, downtempo and hypnotizing. A pure character study -- yet with that eerie, almost von Trier-like atmosphere that lurks throughout.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm about to watch that, Thor. Looks interesting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It is! But as I said, don't expect a traditional horror or whatever.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I thought Eric Bana was brilliant in the -- by far -- best HULK screen adaptation of all time (including the old cheesy tv show). Wish they had kept him, but it seems like they want to banish the Lee film out of existence. Which is a shame, because it's one of the best comic book films I've seen. HUGELY, HUGELY underrated.

I agree. I always had a soft spot for Nick Nolte as the deranged father. And Jennifer Connolly and Sam Elliot brought greater intelligence to their roles too than the equivalent roles in the later film. Only the Hulk poodles felt a bit silly...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Thor wrote
    JS: TAKE SHELTER (2011)

Very interesting film. A father has dreams of an impending storm that turns people into zombies, but he isn't believed by his family or surroundings, especially not as he spends his time buildnig a storm shelter. The film balances the suspicion that he's beginning to develop paranoid schizophrenia with the feeling that it might be real; that they are real 'omens'. Sounds like a horror, but it isn't really. It's downkey, downtempo and hypnotizing. A pure character study -- yet with that eerie, almost von Trier-like atmosphere that lurks throughout.

I found the ending a bit of a letdown. (spoiler -- the visions become more objective when another sees them.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Box Office

That's more like it, I expect AVENGERS to go beyond that since it's been released in the States and HUNGER GAMES has been out for awhile now.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Box Office

That's more like it, I expect AVENGERS to go beyond that since it's been released in the States and HUNGER GAMES has been out for awhile now.

indeed, though it's amazing what The Hunger Games does, The Avengers is gonna pass that amazing number soon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    Enough with the AVENGERS talk already! wink

JS: ANOTHER EARH (2011)

Strange film. Like TAKE SHELTER, there's a sci premise of a second earth suddenly popping up on the sky, but it's really a commentary on separated lives; the teenage driver engaging in a relationship with a man who lost his wife and son in a car accident she caused (well, she's not a teenager once the relationship starts, of course, as it's then a few years later, after she's been released from prison). It's told in an arthouse style, but is fairly straightforward in terms of narrative.
    I am extremely serious.