• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The HULK film isn't bad, but Elfman's music for the Ang Lee film is far and away better than Craig Armstrong's. (I prefer the Ang Lee film mostly too. Nolte is a hoot.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    I thought The Incredible Hulk was the worst of the trailers for this new Avengers film (including Armstrong's vehemently meh score).

Also, I rather like Debney's theme for Iron Man 2, which is unfortunately not really used or developed at all in the film. It felt like Debney desperately wanted to write a hero theme, but had the studio weighing him down? I could be wrong of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor might well have been the one Marvel film of the new set that I have time for. (Not that I'd watch it again, mind you.)

I liked the first Iron Man. I quite liked Captain America. Not sure I'd watch either of them again (just not really my kind of thing), but I thought those two were well-done.

I thought the first Iron man was fantastic and rather funny, and I could watch it again any time. Captain America I found a huge bore though.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor might well have been the one Marvel film of the new set that I have time for. (Not that I'd watch it again, mind you.)

I liked the first Iron Man. I quite liked Captain America. Not sure I'd watch either of them again (just not really my kind of thing), but I thought those two were well-done.

It hasn't been a distinguished series, musically. I thought Doyle's score worked much better in Thor than on album, otherwise it's only Silvestri who's written anything worthwhile. It's sad that of the five films (two Iron Men, Thor, Hulk, Capt America - did I forget any?) only one of them actually has a memorable theme.

You got me there....which one????
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steven wrote
    I thought The Incredible Hulk was the worst of the trailers for this new Avengers film (including Armstrong's vehemently meh score).

Also, I rather like Debney's theme for Iron Man 2, which is unfortunately not really used or developed at all in the film. It felt like Debney desperately wanted to write a hero theme, but had the studio weighing him down? I could be wrong of course.

I haven't seen IRON MAN 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think it's an interesting take on the zombie phenomenon. And you do realise that the walking dead refer to the human survivors right? They're the ones doing the most inhuman things to each other. I don't know what's more frightening, the undead doing only what their limited brain capacity tells them to, or the human intellect fighting and doing all that nasty stuff amongst themselves. It's what sets the show apart from all the other zombie flicks. Great writing, awesome makeup and some genuine shocking moments.

I'm all set for season 2. punk

Indeed, but I find that this (who is the greater evil?) theme is often the secondary theme to most zombie flicks. What sets this apart is that they elevate it to the primary theme. I do like that concept, but it must be done in a way that doesn't demote it to soap opera intrigue.

I'm also not sure how well they've pulled it off so far, because so far most of the characters have actually been pretty decent, with a few minor flaws. It only seems to be [spoiler]Merle and Shane[/spoiler] who have some truly dark sides. Of course things might change.

Peter skull

Just seen the rest of season 2, and it did get alot better, with less of the intrigue and secrets, and more of the theme you're talking about, Gilles. I have regained my hope in the series, and am looking forward to season 3.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Thor

Boring start, OK middle, boring end.

Plain crap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor

That's what my wife said.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor

Seconded.

Oh yeah.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor

Seconded.

Oh yeah.

True. I forgot about our amorous past together, Justin. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Him too?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor

I loved it! Next to Iron Man it was the best Marvel film I've seen since Spider-Man 2. It felt like a throwback to those fantasy adventure films of the 80's.

Oh yeah... I saw the fourth Mission: Impossible film over the weekend. Meh! There were some spectacular set pieces (and a lot more humour) but I still think the first one is easily the best one... BY A LONG SHOT. And unlike the first and third films I have zero interest in ever watching GHOST PROTOCOL again. And Giacchino's score was rather bland as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I 100% agree with you on THOR, Erik, and yes it does stand with Spidey 2 and Iron Man as one of the best Marvel films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor

I loved it! Next to Iron Man it was the best Marvel film I've seen since Spider-Man 2. It felt like a throwback to those fantasy adventure films of the 80's.

Oh yeah... I saw the fourth Mission: Impossible film over the weekend. Meh! There were some spectacular set pieces (and a lot more humour) but I still think the first one is easily the best one... BY A LONG SHOT. And unlike the first and third films I have zero interest in ever watching GHOST PROTOCOL again. And Giacchino's score was rather bland as well.

-Erik-

I agree with pretty much the exact opposite of this post biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In order to be sociable, I went to see The Hunger Games. I thought it was surprisingly good.

I remember an old Monty Python sketch which was a parody public information video "How not to be seen." I think James Newton Howard must have watched it before composing his score. It was an exercise in keeping out of the way. All of the important bits of the film featured needle-dropped stuff or new music provided by T-Bone Burnett.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Have watched the first two episodes of Julian Fellowes's Titanic. Very disappointing. A whole load of people stand around at the start speaking with very posh voices, saying things like "Don't be so silly, of course we only need enough lifeboats for 25% of the people, this ship is unsinkable" or "Don't be so silly, of course we should use the cheaper materials for the hull, this ship is unsinkable" or "Don't be so silly, of course we don't need to test evacuation procedures, this ship is unsinkable" and then everyone gets on board and the vile, despicable English people are incredibly cruel to the brilliant Irish people who they persecute and trap in their third class compartments while arguing with each other about who should get saved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    The Bride Wore Black (La Mariée Était En Noir)

I've never really been able to get into Nouvelle Vague: it's always been a style that was too self-conscious, too much "in your face" in what it was trying to show or not show. Without exception it will take me five to ten minutes to actually be able to "sink" into the story.

The Bride Wore Black, a 1968 revenge film/black comedy by famed Nouvelle Vague director François Truffaut, starring Jeanne Moreau, is no exception. The film is dramatically disjunct and emotionally aloof, with surreal dialogue and interaction that would not be amiss in a Resnais film.

It's not a bad film.
    In fact, it is quite amusing, the camera work is quite stunning and the actors (including a very young Michel Lonsdale as a positively loathsome career politician) are clearly having a good time with the material.
    And yes, once the tone is established (which takes a while) it is quite easy to bob along to the mild Hitchcock-esque tone of it all. (The semi-Anglosaxon feel is enhanced by the odd fact that all the main characters, although clearly French and clearly set in Marseille or Cannes (or at least the south of france) have English names!)

But overall it's just too predictable (even given its age), too shallow and ultimately too uninvolving.
    Jeanne Moreau, whom I love and respect dearly, is clearly too old for the part (being 40 when the film was shot, everyone keeps referring to her as "girl". You can really only do that to a 40 year old woman when you're over 70 yourself!). She does sport some really stylish hairdos throughout the film, though!

The main culprit though is Bernard Herrmann, who scored this film in such a mickey mouse fashion that every single gesture, every look, every action is punctuated as if it were the most important and poignant in history.
    And when not mickey mousing, the music is so overly dramatic that it becomes unintentionally humorous (such as the fourth (!) time the dark, bass-heavy organ gravely intones Mendelsohn's Wedding March; or indeed the almost fortieslike full orchestral screeching of the opening titles).

Overall, a good evening's entertainment, and ultimately worth it for sheer interest in French cinema, but not something I'd want to own on DVD....or even ever watch again.

Film: 2.5 out of 5
    Music: 1.5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I am in the process of watching BBC's Human Planet, and what another stunning documentary this is. These 8 episodes features man's relationship with nature unlike anything I've ever seen, how people live in certain parts of the world, like deserts, jungles, the north pole. How they do the incredible to survive with everything that nature provides for them, incredible at least to us consumers in a materialistic world. We only have to turn the faucet to have water. In the desert they have to do days-long treks in scorching heat to find some (not so clear) water source. It's really quite eye-opening and always spectacular to look at.

There's also great footage taken from a plane of a tribe undiscovered until that very moment, and we can see them from afar wondering what that big strange looking object in the sky is supposed to be. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    My wife and I watch the documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father I won't tell you anything about is as I feel this is a movie that you need to go into not know much about it, however, I will tell you that I wasn't prepared for the punch in the gut the film gave me. It's unforgettable. It's probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen (I haven't seen much) but I have no interest in ever seeing it again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    I am in the process of watching BBC's Human Planet, and what another stunning documentary this is. These 8 episodes features man's relationship with nature unlike anything I've ever seen, how people live in certain parts of the world, like deserts, jungles, the north pole. How they do the incredible to survive with everything that nature provides for them, incredible at least to us consumers in a materialistic world. We only have to turn the faucet to have water. In the desert they have to do days-long treks in scorching heat to find some (not so clear) water source. It's really quite eye-opening and always spectacular to look at.

There's also great footage taken from a plane of a tribe undiscovered until that very moment, and we can see them from afar wondering what that big strange looking object in the sky is supposed to be. shocked

That series is incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode. Amazing stuff!
  6. Martijn wrote
    The Bride Wore Black (La Mariée Était En Noir)

Film: 2.5 out of 5
    Music: 1.5 out of 5

I've not seen this one, but I appreciate the lengthy thoughts. Good to see a thoughtful response to a film.
  7. Whilst flicking through the channels this morning I came across an episode of Babylon 5. Unfortunately, it was an episode from the "alternate week" strand - the show bounced between the main storyline featuring the shadows and self-contained episodes (the aforementioned "alternate" episodes). But I did not remember it so ended up watching it.

It featured Michael York as a character who appears to be King Arthur attempting to return the sword Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake. York hams it up towards the end and everything gets resolved. And then I had a coffee.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    My wife and I watch the documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father I won't tell you anything about is as I feel this is a movie that you need to go into not know much about it, however, I will tell you that I wasn't prepared for the punch in the gut the film gave me. It's unforgettable. It's probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen (I haven't seen much) but I have no interest in ever seeing it again.

-Erik-

Indeed, powerful movie that punches you in the stomach. Been months since I saw it and it's still very much present in my mind.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited
    Tree of life

This has got to be the most beautiful movie ever. And a lovely surprise to hear Preisner's "Lacrimosa" during the universe segment; wow! I prefer a more traditional and entertaining story though when I watch movies, so beyond the visuals and the music it didn't appeal to me much.

Rating: 6

Melancholia

Another beautiful movie. This was rather untraditional as well, but I did enjoy it a bit more. Also, [spoiler]another planet crashing into Earth[/spoiler] has got to be the most scary and visually appealing doomsday scenario ever.

Rating: 7

Peter smile
  8. I was definitely the reverse on those two, with a greater difference between the scores. Despite all the good in MELANCHOLIA, I felt the storyteller just lacked imagination at times, indulging in negative stereotypes at nearly every turn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Some tv shows I've been watching...

Touch

New Kiefer Sutherland series. He has an autistic son. There's a lot of coincidental occurrences. All incredibly, indescribably boring. Why I've watched five episodes I don't know. I won't watch any more.

Mad Men

The fifth season has been excellent so far. I thought it went off the boil a bit in the third and fourth but it's recaptured its early magic. And I'm in love with Don Draper's new wife (sorry Don).

Alcatraz

Hideously bad thing from some of the people behind Lost with Sam Neill and the fat guy investigating people who disappeared from Alcatraz decades ago and who are now mysteriously reappearing due to a series of coincidences and committing crimes. (All this "moving forward using coincidence as a dramatic device" stuff which is so in vogue - probably due to Lost's success - is so weak.) Lasted three episodes before giving up.

Seinfeld

I absolutely love Curb Your Enthusiasm but have never seen this, so am watching it from the start. Currently half way through the third season. It's a bit hit-and-miss and even at its best is some way short of Curb's best, but enjoyable enough all the same, despite Seinfeld himself looking uncannily like Tony Blair.

Six Feet Under

Watched this again from start to finish. Incredible show delving into the vagaries of life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    You've never seen SEINFELD? Where did you live in the 90's? The Gobi desert? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    You've never seen SEINFELD? Where did you live in the 90's? The Gobi desert? wink

It's not that uncommon. I haven't seen Seinfeld either. Or Curb Your Enthusiasm. Or Touch. Or Mad Men. Or Alcatraz. Or Six Feet Under.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. 'Moving things forward through coincidence...'

Sounds like the plot of Jabram's STAR TREK to me. wink
  11. I've never seen Seinfeld either.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website