• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    p.s. I presume Disney are going to want THE AVENGERS to kick some serious box office now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yes. It's not a bad movie by any means, it just isn't anything particularly new or special.

Wait until it's on telly would be my advice. I'm in no hurry to see it again.

An ironic thing to say Ant considering how influential Burroughs books were.

Exactly the problem: Burroughs was so thoroughly influential that now that his work finally comes to the screen, we've seen it in his mental and stylistic successors decades before! (And often, it pains me to say, much better).

John Carter simply isn't in any way relevant any more...and audiences at large -unfamiliar with its trailblazer origins from Burroughs pioneering work- recognise that. MAJOR miscalculation by Disney, if you ask me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you read the books Martijn? ( I haven't )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have. smile
    Great early turn-of-the-century pulp...and amazingly readable still!

...not much in the way of character development, or psycho-dramatic depth though. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    Team America: World police

Excellent movie, excellent score, excellent songs. Perhaps the only soundtrack album where I enjoy the songs as much if not more than the score.

Songs:
    America, fuck yeah (spoofing the idea that America is the cure to the world's problems)
    Freedom isn't free (Spoof of post-911 patriotic, redneck songs)
    Only a woman (Most unromantic love song ever; if you listen to the lyrics. Best ending ever)
    The end of an act (Tragic love song that quickly turns into a rant about how much Michael's Bay's "Pearl Harbour" sucked)
    Montage (Most self-aware montage song ever)
    I'm so ronery (Hirarious song with prenty or words contaiing the letter L)

The score is great as well:
    The march
    Lisa & Gary

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    America, FUCK YEAH! So lick my butt, and suck on my balls!

punk

Slavery, FUCK YEAH! tongue

Sportsmanship...
    Books...

LOVE. THAT. SONG!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    America, FUCK YEAH! So lick my butt, and suck on my balls!

punk

Slavery, FUCK YEAH! tongue

Sportsmanship...
    Books...

LOVE. THAT. SONG!

-Erik-

Indeed!!! biggrin

Just added youtube links above so people can listen to the songs and score.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    Man, that film is bloody brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Fuck yeah!

Rated it 9 on imdb. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are brilliant guys.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yes. It's not a bad movie by any means, it just isn't anything particularly new or special.

Wait until it's on telly would be my advice. I'm in no hurry to see it again.

An ironic thing to say Ant considering how influential Burroughs books were. I still fancy seeing it on the big screen, I'll let you know if I thought I should have waited for the TV outting.

It's been pillaged by everything else, but it doesn't help that it didn't change anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

Excellent movie, excellent score, excellent songs. Perhaps the only soundtrack album where I enjoy the songs as much if not more than the score.

Songs:
    America, fuck yeah (spoofing the idea that America is the cure to the world's problems)
    Only a woman (Most unromantic love song ever; if you listen to the lyrics. Best ending ever)
    The end of an act (Tragic love song that quickly turns into a rant about how much Michael's Bay's "Pearl Harbour" sucked)

The march
    Lisa & Gary

Peter smile

I often use "Montage" in my film score classes, as a selfaware and humourous example of music creating continuity. After having shown a proper 80's montage first, like the "Push it to the Limit" sequence from SCARFACE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote

Songs:

The march
    Lisa & Gary

Peter smile

Love it love it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. David's watching Once Upon A Time In The West at the moment and we have just reached the final reveal at the end that suddenly makes Morricone's music even more key to the story.

:goosebumps:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David's watching Once Upon A Time In The West at the moment and we have just reached the final reveal at the end that suddenly makes Morricone's music even more key to the story.

:goosebumps:

shocked I had no idea you liked good films Alan? tongue wink
  2. The Hunger Games

It's been awhile that I was sitting in a fully packed cinema (always enhances the experience). Anyway it's a good movie. I was expecting an ending ala LOTR (meaning it will just continue in the next movie), but somehow I felt it was a little rushed at the time. The movie gradually builds, unleashing even a complete second half to the arena fight (which the trailers shows little to nothing off). But while all that is delivering a steady pace, somehow the last 10 minutes gave me the feeling it's all going a little too quickly (not natural). The acting is good, and yet somehow I occasionally felt it wasn't natural either. Somehow the lack of music at various scenes didn't make me connect.

The few bad ass action pieces are loud though and there's some exciting material (I love that moment near the end when everyone just jumped out of their seats wink) , some tender stuff and some emotional goodbyes. All in all it's good but I was perhaps expecting more.

The same about James Newton Howard's music. It's good and does everything right (there's even some disturbing music for several scenes that feels quite at home in the picture). It's hardly epic music but the emotional music is nice (the longest goodbye sequence is quite lovely), the few action pieces which are underscored are effective and will give a better representation on the album, but there's one outstanding highlight however. And that's the chariot entrance (I assume Entering the Capitol on the album). Wow now that's a heroic entrance, and it's backed up with choir too (I think the only time choir's been used). A must to hear again on album.

Movie 7
    Music (so far) 7

It's a good watch but somehow I didn't fully connect. Is it because there's no music in several scenes (action or even drama) that made it harder to connect? Or was it because the 4 girls behind my back just kept giggling and repeating the book vividly? crazy I'll see it again on blu-ray to make up my mind smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    For anyone interested, up late enough and can receive BBC 4...

OMNIBUS : John Barry - Licence To Thrill ( 12.40 am )

An hour documentary well worth seeing if you missed it originally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers! I'll tape it (err...hard-drive it...record it...whatever)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's very good Martijn, made back in 2000. You know, it always struck me how much of a physical difference there was between John Barry in the late 80's to 1990, he looked so healthy and still reasonably youthful in film of him around the time of scoring THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS in 1987 then after his near death from a ruptured oesophagus in 1988 he seemed to age 20 years instantly and turning into a frail old man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Clash of the Titans (2010 version)

Mind-numbingly stupid but the special effects, for the most part, were surprisingly very well done! I would have loved to see MORE of the Krakan!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    THE THING ( 2011 )

This "prequel" should have been called a re-make and a bad one at that.

Bad direction, a cast I couldn't give two figs for, nothing new or imaginative in the not so special fx, no tension, no atmosphere, Marco Beltrami's score was okay but stood out like a sore tentacle in some spots....everything about this film was pointless, a big MEH from me.

1/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn. sad

I was looking forward to seeing it, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LA PIEL QUI HABITO (the skin I live in) | pedro almodovar

Sick mind! Not as good as I had expected. It certainly keeps you interested for the most part, but the ending is a bit a downer. The odd events in the film as sometimes a bit laughable.

The music is beautiful, but doesn't come out as strong as I had hoped after hearing the score. One of my favourites of last year, composed around one of his early ballet works and with an other good theme.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Damn. sad

I was looking forward to seeing it, actually.

Seriously Martijn, it's PANTS ( and not good pants )

and yes, I was looking forward to seeing it too slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Not as good as I had expected.

Really? Really????
    I found it incredibly disturbing on so many levels.

It's -I think- quite commercial (there are many "Hollywood" shots in there...nothing much, just establishing shots, tracking shots, that have that "slick" look I really wouldn't expect from Almodovar..) .but I found the film in and of itself (and the actors) nothing less than riveting.

And again, the story I found very challenging indeed.
    I thought it was very, very good!
    (But then I'm somewhat of an Almodovar apologist wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It IS very disturbing. The cold of Banderas was creepy. The ending was so out of this world, I felt very uncomfortable. But if that was his goal, then it worked very well. smile

The girl is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the first half.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wroteThe ending was so out of this world, I felt very uncomfortable.

Same here... and if any work of art can affect me like that in such a fashion (without resulting to cheap shock techniques), then I'll sing its praises!

The girl is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the first half. wink

My god, my god, yes...what a stunningly beautiful woman!
  3. Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

Bad direction, a cast I couldn't give two figs for, nothing new or imaginative in the not so special fx, no tension, no atmosphere, Marco Beltrami's score was okay but stood out like a sore tentacle in some spots....everything about this film was pointless, a big MEH from me.

1/10

of course it is a remake, I saw that the moment the trailer came out. Those that saw Carpenter's movie will always see it as nothing but a remake. Anyway, I'm not expecting this to beat Carpenter's brilliant classic, but I'll give it a chance nonetheless
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

1/10

of course it is a remake, I saw that the moment the trailer came out. Those that saw Carpenter's movie will always see it as nothing but a remake. Anyway, I'm not expecting this to beat Carpenter's brilliant classic, but I'll give it a chance nonetheless

Count me out bro, I don't want to see this. Pointless remakes of great horror films do nothing for me. That's like if one day some Hollywood douchebag decides to remake Aliens, I'll have the same reaction. I'd rather watch the original another 40 times on top of the 40 times I've already seen it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Jep, loved LA PIEL QUE HABITO as well! And though I can usually appreciate Almodovar's work, I normally can't connect with it as it feels distancing. This, however, is great on, indeed, many levels. The twists and turns of the story are often unprecedented, and the whole thing has a lovely macabre ('zwartgallig', in Dutch) quality to it. It's also probably Almodovar's best structured film in terms of plot, whereas his films usually tend to go all over the place. Maybe that's why I loved it this much and felt it more accessible... in spite of the wild places the plot was going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

1/10

Ouch.

This was actually one of my favourite films from last year!

And it's not a remake....it's about as prequel as a prequel can be. What were you smoking?
    I am extremely serious.