• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    Watched a bit of I'm Alan Partridge tonight. Never gets old.

Standing in the Travel Tavern foyer opposite reception manager Susan

Alan: Susan, will you go out with me?
    Susan: No.
    Alan: Would you go out with me if I was slightly younger and better looking?
    Susan: Erm, yes, I think I probably would.
    Alan: Well I'd better get to work on that time-travel gymnasium then.
    Susan: Alan, if you'll excuse me, I just need to leave the reception unattended for a moment.

Love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    I just went through the whole of Knowing Me Knowing You series recently and it still kills me like the first time I saw it biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Saw the killing room last night, excellent score by Brian tyler. Film is captivating dark and disturbing, overlooked movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A radio review of STAR WARS THE PHANTOM MENACE 3D
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Saw A Separation yesterday at the local movie theatre. The situation of these people is rather depressing, and the story shows presents a rather hopeless feeling, but I wasn't as wowed as for example Thor. So, Thor, why was it your favourite movie?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Saw A Separation yesterday at the local movie theatre. The situation of these people is rather depressing, and the story shows presents a rather hopeless feeling, but I wasn't as wowed as for example Thor. So, Thor, why was it your favourite movie?

It wasn't THE favourite of year, but actually number 6 on my 2011 list:

http://montages.no/2011/12/thor-joachims-topp-20-2011/

I also wrote an article on the film itself here (in Norwegian):

http://montages.no/2011/12/briljant-dra … -et-brudd/

Basically, I loved how it bordered on thriller elements in a very socio-realistic setting. Loved the restraint and the chamber piece dynamic between the characters.

Here's a translation of the last paragraph:

"A SEPARATION is a touching film, but rarely breaks out in pure melodrama. It's restrained, finely tuned and realistic in style. At the same time it's chaotic, exciting and frustrating. The characters become pawns in a series of events beyond their control, and continually bang their heads against a wall of total social and communicative collapse. In that way, it may be called a typical 'feel bad'-film, especially since by the end of the film, you still haven't reached any form of katharsis. That doesn't mean, however, that you leave the theater emptyhanded. Quite the contrary, the edifying aspect lies in our empathy for the characters and the understanding of the relationship between action, consequence, chance and external influences on our freedom of action".

Or something like that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Or something like that.

biggrin Was that in the actual review? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I think it's a solid film, because it's in any ways what THE SLAP isn't. Not my favourite Iranian film though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think it's a solid film, because it's in any ways what THE SLAP isn't. Not my favourite Iranian film though.

And there you go about that SLAP thing again. What IS that?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This sound like a setup in a Three Stooges scene...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I googled 'The Slap'. Look what I found -- hit #1.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/theslap/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I googled 'The Slap'. Look what I found -- hit #1.

You liken A SEPARATION to an Australian soap?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    LSH wrote
    Watched a bit of I'm Alan Partridge tonight. Never gets old.

Standing in the Travel Tavern foyer opposite reception manager Susan

Alan: Susan, will you go out with me?
    Susan: No.
    Alan: Would you go out with me if I was slightly younger and better looking?
    Susan: Erm, yes, I think I probably would.
    Alan: Well I'd better get to work on that time-travel gymnasium then.
    Susan: Alan, if you'll excuse me, I just need to leave the reception unattended for a moment.

Love it.

I'm going through I'm Alan Partridge again, a true joy it is too!

Hey Lee, I'm wondering if Alan Partridge has found himself a job as a programmer at BBC 2, one program on BBC 2 last week is called 'Two Jews on a Cruise'......Youth Hosteling With Chris Ewbank can't be far behind? wink
  3. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I googled 'The Slap'. Look what I found -- hit #1.

You liken A SEPARATION to an Australian soap?

The slap I refer to this time is the slapping of a Norwegian ear. rolleyes

THE SLAP isn't an Australian soap. It's a miniseries based on a famous novel written here. Much like A SEPARATION, the narrative echoes around a domestic incident (in the Iranian film, a man pushing a woman, and in the Australian series, a man physically punishing a child) that in time confronts everyone's beliefs. However, despite the apparently realistic behavior and scenarios involved, it did end up feeling more than a bit contrived to me, despite the local acclaim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.....soap, mini-series, novel, whatever! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    Don't tease Franz! After all, he's never teased YO....oh...wait...
  4. Thor wrote
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.....soap, mini-series, novel, whatever! wink

I'll try to keep the fluidity of all this in mind next time I get offended for your sake at the half-hearted Norwegian spoken in English language films every time they're in Sweden or Finland or... wherever. wink
  5. I am 2 hours into the second Transformers film and I am still not sure what is going on. The urge is to stick with it - "I may as well" - but common sense has prevailed (though admittedly about 110 minutes too late). Bye bye film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012 edited
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

An enjoyable if not slightly predictable tale of seven British retirees attempting to settle in India. Funny, heartwarming and beautiful to watch. An ensemble of immeasurable British talent (Judy Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, and more), incredibly likable characters, wonderfully paced, gorgeous visuals and a colourful yet understated score by Thomas Newman. Recommended.

EDIT: I might add that I was also quite drunk when I watched it (still am, in fact) so it's possible that the film is not as good as I claim.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012
    LSH wrote
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

An enjoyable if not slightly predictable tale of seven British retirees attempting to settle in India. Funny, heartwarming and beautiful to watch. An ensemble of immeasurable British talent (Judy Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, and more), incredibly likable characters, wonderfully paced, gorgeous visuals and a colourful yet understated score by Thomas Newman. Recommended.

EDIT: I might add that I was also quite drunk when I watched it (still am, in fact) so it's possible that the film is not as good as I claim.

biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am 2 hours into the second Transformers film and I am still not sure what is going on. The urge is to stick with it - "I may as well" - but common sense has prevailed (though admittedly about 110 minutes too late). Bye bye film.

Please tell me you didn't buy it.
  6. No. It was on Film 4.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    *phew* wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012 edited
    CROMWELL ( 1970 )

Watched this on BBC 2 this afternoon, very intense performance from Richard Harris as the title character and Alec Guinness as the arrogant and pompous King Charles I, it's about the English civil war and the eventual abolishment ( for a few years ) of the monarchy, Charles going to the scaffold for an exceptionally short haircut, damn good film and I love Frank Cordell's Oscar nominated score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    YOU'VE BEEN FRAMED

I love watching people hurt themselves/making fools of themselves/animals doing crazy shit all while Harry Hill narrates. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    There's only one way to find out.... FIIIIIIIGHT!!!!
  7. Just watched the Prometheus trailer. Looks quite good. I thought I caught a glimpse of The Storr on Skye (see my profile photo) and it is listed in imdb's 'filming locations. Along with Fort William, Inverness, Glencoe and Rannoch Moor.

I did not realise that going to Skye in the summer would be going to the set of this film!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    Has anyone seen JOHN CARTER? I saw a little news report earlier saying it's already one of the biggest flops of all time.

I still fancy seeing it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes. It's not a bad movie by any means, it just isn't anything particularly new or special.

Wait until it's on telly would be my advice. I'm in no hurry to see it again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Yes. It's not a bad movie by any means, it just isn't anything particularly new or special.

Wait until it's on telly would be my advice. I'm in no hurry to see it again.

An ironic thing to say Ant considering how influential Burroughs books were. I still fancy seeing it on the big screen, I'll let you know if I thought I should have waited for the TV outting.