• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    Yeah Timmer, what were you smoking? uhm

...and can I have some?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Yeah Timmer, what were you smoking? uhm

...and can I have some?

The air of reality....or some such cheesy nonsense.

sorry, i couldn't think of anything witty at such short notice, POT luck i guess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

This "prequel" should have been called a re-make and a bad one at that.

Bad direction, a cast I couldn't give two figs for, nothing new or imaginative in the not so special fx, no tension, no atmosphere, Marco Beltrami's score was okay but stood out like a sore tentacle in some spots....everything about this film was pointless, a big MEH from me.

1/10

Ouch.

This was actually one of my favourite films from last year!

And it's not a remake....it's about as prequel as a prequel can be. What were you smoking?

When was the last time you saw Carpenter's 1982 classic? This piss-poor film just treads exactly the same ground and fills in a few blanks hoping to get the sci-fi geek brigade ( people like ME ) on side, yeap, you can join the dots as to where this film ties in with the 1982 film and it's an insult to the intelligence.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    For anyone interested, up late enough and can receive BBC 4...

OMNIBUS : John Barry - Licence To Thrill ( 12.40 am )

An hour documentary well worth seeing if you missed it originally.

Starts in 10 minutes...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David's watching Once Upon A Time In The West at the moment and we have just reached the final reveal at the end that suddenly makes Morricone's music even more key to the story.

:goosebumps:

shocked I had no idea you liked good films Alan? tongue wink

Hey! I only just noticed this!

If you would read the comment I made properly you will see that it was David who was watching it. I just happened to be in the same room.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll be watching again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Clash of the Titans (2010 version)

Mind-numbingly stupid but the special effects, for the most part, were surprisingly very well done! I would have loved to see MORE of the Krakan!

-Erik-

Hope the sequel is better in terms of narrative and story.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

Bad direction, a cast I couldn't give two figs for, nothing new or imaginative in the not so special fx, no tension, no atmosphere, Marco Beltrami's score was okay but stood out like a sore tentacle in some spots....everything about this film was pointless, a big MEH from me.

1/10

Ouch.

And it's not a remake....it's about as prequel as a prequel can be. What were you smoking?

When was the last time you saw Carpenter's 1982 classic? This piss-poor film just treads exactly the same ground and fills in a few blanks hoping to get the sci-fi geek brigade ( people like ME ) on side, yeap, you can join the dots as to where this film ties in with the 1982 film and it's an insult to the intelligence.

I didn't like the remake at all, either. The music was bad too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING ( 2011 )

1/10

Ouch.

I saw Carpenter's original again not too long ago.

Of course, it's going to tread some of the same ground -- after all, they're in the same geographical area, and so it will have some of the same basic set-up (deserted facility, things killing off the humans one by one). All the ALIEN films follow this basic premise too. Yet they are clearly in sequential order, and so is this.

The elegant ending, in particular, which leads directly up to the beginning of the Carpenter film.

I just loved the whole atmosphere, the tangible surroundings, the fact that the Norwegians were allowed to speak Norwegian to each other and not some warbled American, the creature effects, the lavish ending (which was definitely something new!). In general, I loved how they were able to honour the Carpenter original while at the same time adding new elements and its own quirks.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    the fact that the Norwegians were allowed to speak Norwegian to each other and not some warbled American

Now this is something that I appreciate a lot more with modern films, like in X-Men: First Class, the dialogue isn't always english / american just because it's spoken by an english-speaking actor. Hollywood is really getting smarter in this area.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    the fact that the Norwegians were allowed to speak Norwegian to each other and not some warbled American

Now this is something that I appreciate a lot more with modern films, like in X-Men: First Class, the dialogue isn't always english / american just because it's spoken by an english-speaking actor. Hollywood is really getting smarter in this area.

The HEROES tv show too, where the Japanese speak Japanese with English subtitles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched part one of the Ken Burns historical special on prohibition. While I learned about how prohibition became an amendment to our constitution, the country felt it to be a moral issue, and there were states that prohibited alcohol early on, I felt he spent too much time on certain subjects and not enough on others. Will be waiting for parts two and three.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is an issue I have more often with Ken Burns films....but he always makes his documentaries look SO good that I forgive him. smile

I haven't seen this particular series yet, though. Is it a new one?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It was produced last year. I learned that the anti-saloon league yielded political power beyond belief.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hope it becomes available here soon.
    I greatly enjoy his techniques and presentation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I was astounded by that too. I know there will be many examples today, but for a mainstream blockbuster film, X-Men First Class just brought German, French and Russian dialogue from American and German actors. Kudos for whoever decided to allow that in this film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012
    I watched Rocketship X-M http://archive.org/details/RocketshipXM so I could get an idea of how the film music fit in the picture. I've included a link so you can watch it for free.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    I've included a link so you can watch it for free.

Niiiice!
    Thanks Tom!!! beer
    One for Friday night!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited
    Tonight Mel & I can either start plowing through the complete box set series of DEADWOOD which we haven't seen or I could re-watch the complete BBC series I CLAUDIUS which Mel hasn't seen and would be more than a joy for me to sit through again.

I think this choice will be up to Mel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited
    Both really excellent series in their own right...although I Claudius for me edges out due to its superb scripting...and the fact that it actually ends! (Deadwood was cancelled after a particularly interesting cliffhanger).

That said, Deadwood's incredibly extensive use of the most terrible profanities remains a source of wonder, inspiration and great joy to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    M#THERF*CKING C#CKS*CKERS
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    M#THERF*CKING C#CKS*CKERS

^
    We went with this! biggrin

Watched the first 3 episodes back to back, hooked already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars prequels

I bought the Blu-Ray box and got these three out of the way as quickly as possible (it still took a month!) so I can move on to the proper ones.

It's been a while since I've seen them and the first two were even worse than I remembered. Of course the visual spectacle is good, but even with that, it just feels like there's too much going on. And nowhere near enough going on from the director - there are some decent actors in those films that are made to look pretty ropey, and some pretty ropey ones who are made to look incredibly ropey. The biggest problem, though, is just that nothing happens that I remotely care about. The whole love story is ludicrous.

The third one is so much better. It doesn't resolve the acting problems, but at least there's something to grab on to in the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What do you think about the Midichlorians?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was given an ointment for them and I have to say the rash has eased off somewhat.
  5. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    Thats probably the worst offense. It takes the mythological aspect of The Force and flushes it right down the toilet!

The Star Wars prequels are the opposite of good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    The Star Wars prequels are the opposite of good!

-Erik-

If not the strict opposite, there's certainly a high negative correlation with goodness.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    Dumb & dumber

Brilliant comedy. Just had to watch it again after I heard a Dumb & dumber 2 has been confirmed. Anyway it will be nice seeing Jim Carrey returning to a truly nuts character, as he's been turning more and more normal in his movies over the course of his career.

Peter biggrin