• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    Greatest comedy ever! But we really don't need a sequel.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A sequel isn't needed of course, but I gladly welcome it. Kinda the same way that roast lamb isn't needed for my survival, but if someone presents me with some, I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Dumb & dumber

Brilliant comedy. Just had to watch it again after I heard a Dumb & dumber 2 has been confirmed. Anyway it will be nice seeing Jim Carrey returning to a truly nuts character, as he's been turning more and more normal in his movies over the course of his career.

Peter biggrin

Just stay away from the hideous prequel / sequel whatever. They took a fantastic comedy like this and flushed it down the gutter.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Watched a documentary last night on the "Group B" class of rally cars in the 1980s. A combination of the need for speed and lack of spectator safety meant carnage and death was inevitable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Just stay away from the hideous prequel / sequel whatever. They took a fantastic comedy like this and flushed it down the gutter.

Yes, I've heard that it is dreadful. Trust me, I won't even touch a ten-foot pole, that has touched that movie, with a ten-foot pole.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Particularly if both those poles were vertical.
  2. The Presence

Strange movie. Starts off with about 10 minutes without any dialogue whatsoever, doesn't give the plot away (though you can sure guess it) and inserts several great ideas without doing anything with it. The final scene shows that there was an idea behind it, but somehow it doesn't mesh. It's like we would have received the end of The 6th Sense but without the little hints that came before it. Because here we miss those hints. Still for the idea behind it 5/10. The music is good though, liked it a lot.

5 out of 10

-------------------------------------

Real Steel

I knew I was gonna like it, but somehow I liked it even more. Simple story yes, but it just works. The character development is what makes this movie great, and ATOM (the bot) feels just like a human being (you don't want him to be destroyed). There's a magical shot at the end of the final fight that I just utterly adore (aka the final shot in the trailer), and with Danny Elfman's catchy music behind it, it makes it all the better. Very good movie entertainment

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Real Steel

I knew I was gonna like it, but somehow I liked it even more. Simple story yes, but it just works. The character development is what makes this movie great, and ATOM (the bot) feels just like a human being (you don't want him to be destroyed). There's a magical shot at the end of the final fight that I just utterly adore (aka the final shot in the trailer), and with Danny Elfman's catchy music behind it, it makes it all the better. Very good movie entertainment

8 out of 10

Couldn't agree more. A movie that I wasn't really interested in, to be honest, but Jackman's presence, ATOM (as you say, almost a human being), plus some very well shot fight sequences, made it a worthy two hour film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Oh man, I really disliked that film. I thought it was ridiculous and juvenile. No offense meant to you who liked it, though smile Glad you did. I like Jackman, and Lily, but they didn't do much for me here. Didn't that kid remind you of young Anakin? The film could have done with a lot less rock music and a lot more of Elfmans pretty decent score.
  4. the rock music was a bit annoying yes, but that aside I liked the chemistry between Jackman, Lily and that kid. Together they really deliver (the final fight when they suddenly watch Jackman fight and not Atom says it all). It has got heart. Just like the characters have heart in the film, so does the film have heart
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012 edited
    Have started watching The walking dead after all the hullakazoo. It's pretty good in the gross department, the zombies are well made and there are some genuinely cool moments. The biggest problem I have though is that 90% of the focus is on personal drama, intrigue, secrets, arguments and stuff I'd expect to find in a soap opera; not in a movie about the zombie apocalypse. I do think some of this stuff is warranted, but I find there's just too much of it, and it bores me in a series that's supposed to be about the end of the world. The second biggest problem I have is that I don't care much about the characters. It's not that they're that bad or unlikable, and the actors are alright, but when I compare with a show like Lost, where I really fell for the characters, these just make me shrug my shoulders whenever they have another fight or emotional outburst.

Rating so far: 6 out of 10

Anyway, in what episode can I hear the kazoo?

Peter skull
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    Thor

Boring start, OK middle, boring end.
  5. I have seen ... things...

Don't ask why, but I watched a 1989 film called "Elves".

SPOILERS (near full plot details given)

The horror...
    The horror...

How the hell do I describe this film?

Julie Austin plays Kirsten, a special girl which Nazis and an evil elf (no, not the Santa kind, though the film does take place during Christmas) have a very special interest in.

Kirsten lives with her mother and her German wheelchair-bound grandfather. At least, she thought she did...

Her and her two friends go out at night into the woods and play around and do a weird black magic spell, cutting their hands and letting blood into the ground. This awakens something.

That something is an elf. An evil, ugly, classic slow moving, mouth agape elf, that follows her.

We soon learn that her mother is actually her older sister and her grandfather is her dad, and that he knocked up his own daughter to give birth to Kirsten, to create the perfect pure line (old Nazi pure race crap), and that it was done on purpose so that she would mate with the elf and create an army, eventually, of evil elves to fight the rest of the free-loving world.

The elf stocks her, killing people who mistreated her, as we find out he protects her since he has to mate with her later, at midnight on Christmas.

Early on she encounters Mike McGavin, a surprisingly interesting and thoughtful, fairly intelligent character (played very well by somebody named Dan Haggerty). He doesn't know the elf is protecting her, so his mission is to try and save her life and her family's life.

She's trying to escape the evil elf, save her brother and mother and gramps, he's trying to save her, and a old Nazi man and his two henchmen sent to ensure the elf and Kirsten mate, is pursuing her.

Nazis, an elf, and family incest. It's aweful, but yet enjoyable at the same time.

Where else do you find a film that gives us such lines as:

McGavin: "You're a goddamn Nazi!"

Mall Santa to Kirsten who sat on his lap (whisper): "Oral..."
    Kirsten: "What?"
    Santa: "Santa said oral..."
    WHACK

Younger brother after peeping at her from exiting the shower, running away.
    Kirsten: "What are you doing? You're not supposed to do that, I'm your fucking sister!"
    Brother: "You got fucking big tits and I'm gonna tell everybody I saw them!"

Brother: "Is everything all right?"
    Kirsten: "No, gramps is a Nazi."

Are there any real pluses to this ... film?

Well, aside from getting to see Deanna Lund naked, full behind and frontal, yes -- there is.

About half the film is actually written pretty well. The general plot is thought out much further than a lower budget version would have been (though its got plenty of plot holes) and the characters and film have time to breath and be interesting.

The characters are all, for the most part, believable and done well. The film, inspite of uglier elements, has some positive messages hidden around; the ex-Nazi gramps cares about his daughter and tries to make sure she stays on the straight & narrow. The family cares about each other, except the fucking crazy mom and disgusting thing she does to the cat. McGavin plays a caring, soft yet strong hero with good ethics.
    The film tries, two or three times to send positive messages about life, like believing in the right things, not getting caught up in the wrong crowd, and Nazi's are fucking evil (as opposed to some of today's Hollywood).

So, who lives, who dies, and does the elf fuck Kirsten? Only those brave enough to see this ... thing ... will have the answers.

biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shocked I think I want to see it!? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...unless you can instantly direct me to a youtube clip of Deanna Lund's naked bits? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Thor

You are far too generous with the middle.
  6. Timmer wrote
    ...unless you can instantly direct me to a youtube clip of Deanna Lund's naked bits? cheesy

It was in Part 4, 5 or 6 on Youtube. Drops all her cloths to take a bath.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor

It's going to sound funny coming from me, but I felt it was OK throughout. Not particularly good, just OK. And I was actually surprisingly moved by an ending I should have seen coming -- two people looking across space for each other.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor

It's going to sound funny coming from me, but I felt it was OK throughout. Not particularly good, just OK.

It is not funny but surprising! shocked
  8. plindboe wrote
    Have started watching The walking dead after all the hullakazoo. It's pretty good in the gross department, the zombies are well made and there are some genuinely cool moments. The biggest problem I have though is that 90% of the focus is on personal drama, intrigue, secrets, arguments and stuff I'd expect to find in a soap opera; not in a movie about the zombie apocalypse. I do think some of this stuff is warranted, but I find there's just too much of it, and it bores me in a series that's supposed to be about the end of the world. The second biggest problem I have is that I don't care much about the characters. It's not that they're that bad or unlikable, and the actors are alright, but when I compare with a show like Lost, where I really fell for the characters, these just make me shrug my shoulders whenever they have another fight or emotional outburst.

Peter skull

I think it's an interesting take on the zombie phenomenon. And you do realise that the walking dead refer to the human survivors right? They're the ones doing the most inhuman things to each other. I don't know what's more frightening, the undead doing only what their limited brain capacity tells them to, or the human intellect fighting and doing all that nasty stuff amongst themselves. It's what sets the show apart from all the other zombie flicks. Great writing, awesome makeup and some genuine shocking moments.

I'm all set for season 2. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Thor might well have been the one Marvel film of the new set that I have time for. (Not that I'd watch it again, mind you.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    plindboe wrote

Peter skull

Season 2, episode 8 (14:50 - 15:10)

smile
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Greatest comedy ever! But we really don't need a sequel.

-Erik-

This could very well become the next greatest comedy.

The Three Stooges

I think this kind of physical comedy is totally hilarious. lol
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter skull

I think it's an interesting take on the zombie phenomenon. And you do realise that the walking dead refer to the human survivors right? They're the ones doing the most inhuman things to each other. I don't know what's more frightening, the undead doing only what their limited brain capacity tells them to, or the human intellect fighting and doing all that nasty stuff amongst themselves. It's what sets the show apart from all the other zombie flicks. Great writing, awesome makeup and some genuine shocking moments.

I think one of the biggest problems with the concept is that everybody keeps on marketing it as a zombie-horror adventure.
    It's NOT.
    It's an end-of-the-world concept.
    An apocalypse scenario, with a handful of survivors trying to make sense of a world that is no longer their own. The zombies might as well have been aliens, radioactive fallout or plague bacillae.

In the original comic series entire reams go by without any zombies whatsoever:it's people talking to each other, evaluating, re-evaluating and making choices based on survival rather than morality and culture. It's all about how people relate to each other in unthinkable times. And that is what I find an incredible powerful and novel idea.

That said, I still haven't seen the series, so I ahve no idea how it holds up against its source material.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor might well have been the one Marvel film of the new set that I have time for. (Not that I'd watch it again, mind you.)

I would! I really enjoyed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A film I'm familiar with and yet I'd never noticed this before...

THEM!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote

Indeed, but I find that this (who is the greater evil?) theme is often the secondary theme to most zombie flicks. What sets this apart is that they elevate it to the primary theme. I do like that concept, but it must be done in a way that doesn't demote it to soap opera intrigue.

I'm also not sure how well they've pulled it off so far, because so far most of the characters have actually been pretty decent, with a few minor flaws. It only seems to be [spoiler]Merle and Shane[/spoiler] who have some truly dark sides. Of course things might change.

Peter skull
  11. Martijn wrote

That said, I still haven't seen the series, so I ahve no idea how it holds up against its source material.

Well in the bonus material of the blu-ray set, Kirkman (the author) talks about how he is so very proud that the TV show follows his way of thinking much better than he could've hoped. Every little detail from the comic is adressed in the TV show. Even the characters are splitting images of their comic book counterparts, even freakishly so.
  12. Kung Fu Panda 2

Can it be that I actually prefer this one over the original? I thought Kung Fu Panda wasn't very funny (though was ecstatic about the visual look), but somehow I liked the sequel so much more. Same visual masterful design and look, but a more compelling story. Plus I actually laughed a bit more during the movie.

Have to say, pleasantly surprised

7 out of 10

No bro, you don't have to see it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor might well have been the one Marvel film of the new set that I have time for. (Not that I'd watch it again, mind you.)

I liked the first Iron Man. I quite liked Captain America. Not sure I'd watch either of them again (just not really my kind of thing), but I thought those two were well-done.

It hasn't been a distinguished series, musically. I thought Doyle's score worked much better in Thor than on album, otherwise it's only Silvestri who's written anything worthwhile. It's sad that of the five films (two Iron Men, Thor, Hulk, Capt America - did I forget any?) only one of them actually has a memorable theme.