• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012
    I'm going to see THE AVENGERS tomorrow evening, after that the next must see event film for me is...

PROMETHEUS

Alan, I'm sure the scenery in the begining of the trailer is Skye?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. You're going to see it tomorrow, I saw it tonight:

And in one word: The Avengers is a THRILL RIDE

Ow man, rarely have I been jumping of sheer adrenaline in my chair then just an hour ago. Each character has his part to play, and even though they've all been given their own movies, they still have something to say. Plus the humor's great (Loki and the Hulk made the audience go nuts at the end of the movie biggrin )

But the biggest advantage is the action packed finale. It's basically Tranformers 3 revisited (even the alien ships look just the same), but what Bay neglected to insert was the thrill. And that is here alright, man the visual shots are AMAZING here and the several sequences where the music plays its part, you receive some of the most thrilling action I've seen since, well Inception and Avatar.

Ow man, what a truly fun movie. Good character development, great humor, a totally berserk sound mix (ow man, are you gonna love it in your home cinema Gilles) and as said mind blowing action and visual effects

Definitely an 8, but I have this feeling it will go even higher the second time I see it. So much better than Captain America, and that one I even liked a lot punk

You'll have fun Tim, I swear it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm really looking forward to it, all the reviews I've read about it have been glowing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. knowing what I know now, you'll be in the ride of your life smile
    have fun man
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    You're going to see it tomorrow, I saw it tonight:

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic pace, editing, direction...two hours and a half of pure fun, action and humor. As Thomas said, THAT scene with Hulk and Loki by the end is one of the best gags I've seen (very few times the audience is surprised this way. We all had a great laugh).

9 out of 10
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    You're going to see it tomorrow, I saw it tonight:

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic pace, editing, direction...two hours and a half of pure fun, action and humor. As Thomas said, THAT scene with Hulk and Loki by the end is one of the best gags I've seen (very few times the audience is surprised this way. We all had a great laugh).

9 out of 10

you really don't see it coming eh biggrin
    pff, still full of energy, how many movies can do that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The kid that was sit right next to me had a blast. Not very difficult to figure out he is a fan of the comic books the film is based on. He even anticipated parts of the dialogue smile

Indeed Thomas, still full of energy as well.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    STOP TALKING ABOUT IT OR TIM SMASH!!! crazy frank
  4. Timmer wrote

Aawww... let them have their fun for a while. smile

OK, if it's much better than Captain America, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

And what about the score? Is it at least a bit more memorable than CA?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Aawww... let them have their fun for a while. smile

OK, if it's much better than Captain America, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

And what about the score? Is it at least a bit more memorable than CA?

I liked it, nothing too special, but I liked the theme and its heroic versions, and when I was paying attention at it, I heard the typical (today) Silvestri style. As said, I'll take this over any Tyler effort easily

Difficult to tell what kind of rating I would give it, perhaps the same as CA

And much better than CA? I think so wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    THE AVENGERS ( 2012 )

LOVED IT! 9/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited
    JS: WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN (2012)

Lynne Ramsay's most recent film, a spellbinding study of a young, sociopathic son who manipulates his mother (played wonderfully by Tilda Swinton) untill the inevitable tragedy occurs. Still, it problematizes who's to blame; it's not necessarily the boy as evil incarnated. There's an eerie actuality to this film here in Norway, in light of the Anders Behring Breivik case.

Beyond that, the film is really a masterpiece of visual storytelling and symbolism, especially the use of red and yellow as recurrent colour tones with lots of significance.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote
    THE AVENGERS ( 2012 )

LOVED IT! 9/10

haha, glad you had a great time too. Did it totally live up to your anticipation?

I'm going to see it this weekend again, and I'm taking my brother with me this time, it will be the second time for me, the first time for him

can't wait smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    Yes. There were a few bits I could moan about but I won't because I had too much fun.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Yes. There were a few bits I could moan about but I won't because I had too much fun.

aha, the true fan speaks wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012 edited
    And now it was my turn:

JS: THE AVENGERS

I liked it! Some flaws here and there (esp. the forced disagreement between the heroes in the air fortress ship thingie....and also the over-explicit background stories for those who have not seen the individual Marvel movies), but great use of integrated, narrative 3D. The action sequences were stupendous. Plenty of humour too. And Hulk kicks ass!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    I hear good things about the Avengers.

I'm thinking of taking the kids, although it's a 12+ movie. I saw the trailer and thought it looks nice, not very scary or violent? They will turn 11 and 12 in a couple of months anyway...

In our case the over-explicit background stories could be useful...!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012 edited
    JS: THE WAY (2010)

Emilio Estevez' film starring his father Martin Sheen as a....well, father who loses his son (played by Estevez himself) on the Kamino and then walks it to honour his memory, and spread his ashes throughout. It's a 'walk movie' (equivalent of 'road movie') and it's quite good. I'm very fascinated by the Kamino, especially after I saw a Danish 8-hour documentary about it last year. Something I'd like to do myself one day. Of course, this is a fiction film, so it doesn't give an accurate picture of it....in reality, there are far more walkers (pellegrinos) along the path. But it's not a documentary and it relays its themes perfectly fine. Also an excellent, lowkey score by Tyler Bates.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    JS: RED STATE (2011)

Kevin Smith's latest film about a sinister cult. Not very good, despite a good premise. Too preachy...the monologues drag out forever, without any direction or reason. I'll take MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE over this any day.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    JS: THE WAY (2010)

Emilio Estevez' film starring his father Martin Sheen as a....well, father who loses his son (played by Estevez himself) on the Kamino and then walks it to honour his memory, and spread his ashes throughout. It's a 'walk movie' (equivalent of 'road movie') and it's quite good. I'm very fascinated by the Kamino, especially after I saw a Danish 8-hour documentary about it last year. Something I'd like to do myself one day. Of course, this is a fiction film, so it doesn't give an accurate picture of it....in reality, there are far more walkers (pellegrinos) along the path. But it's not a documentary and it relays its themes perfectly fine. Also an excellent, lowkey score by Tyler Bates.

I enjoyed this film, quite touching with well written characters and lovely scenery, a very gentle film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregje wrote

I'm thinking of taking the kids, although it's a 12+ movie. I saw the trailer and thought it looks nice, not very scary or violent? They will turn 11 and 12 in a couple of months anyway...

I have a question about the Avengers. Is it neccessary to know all these superheroes?
    I don't think I've seen any of the movies nor read the books about any of them! The kids don't know them either, so is this movie also good as a 'stand alone'?
  8. Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote

I have a question about the Avengers. Is it neccessary to know all these superheroes?
    I don't think I've seen any of the movies nor read the books about any of them! The kids don't know them either, so is this movie also good as a 'stand alone'?

no, not really

it's more a feeling of "haha, cool, they reprise their same roles" or "oh excellent, they're back". You will not enjoy the movie less if you haven't seen the other movies, but I think you'll enjoy it slightly more knowing who returns and why? Just like a sequel, you already know the characters and so you laugh at them a little more because you know what makes em tick

meaning Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk (slightly) and Iron Man is fun to see beforehand, but not necessary

you'll enjoy it because it's a different story, they just put them all together for the first time
  9. You could easily skip Hulk and Iron Man 2 and you would miss nothing from Avengers, but the other others are definitely worth watching. You won't enjoy Avengers as much without watching the other films, but I imagine it would still be a lot of fun. I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I completed watching the 6 hour special of Prohibition from Ken Burns and it was truly a learning experience if you could filter out some of the historian opinions, one I couldn't believe. She said that the failure of prohibition was to be blamed on the anti-saloon league and women's temperance movement. If they had not been so inflexible it would have succeeded. Sure can't agree with that. I'm sorry it is legal because of all of the innocent people it kills and a lot of the time the drunk driver walks away. To me it is manslaughter plain and simple and there should be no flexibility at all.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  10. christopher wrote
    You could easily skip Hulk and Iron Man 2 and you would miss nothing from Avengers, but the other others are definitely worth watching. You won't enjoy Avengers as much without watching the other films, but I imagine it would still be a lot of fun. I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much.

Thomas and I just saw Thor before going to watch The Avengers, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. With Thor (at home) I liked the whole Norse mythology thing and the film was entertaining throughout, Chris Hemsworth knows how to carry a superhero film and the action / story was well handled by Kenneth Branagh.

Then it was off to The Avengers, this could have been even more fun, were it not for some very annoying youngsters who did their own take on the fight sequences, screams and goof-balling included. It took me out of the film a couple of times. I mean who the hell pays 10 euros per ticket just to not watch the film and act silly all the time? But seeing this home will make it completely fun, I'm sure.

Next up is Iron Man 2, the only one in the series we haven't seen.

So it's turning out to be a Marvel(lous) day for us. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. Thor wrote
    And now it was my turn:

JS: THE AVENGERS

I liked it! Some flaws here and there (esp. the forced disagreement between the heroes in the air fortress ship thingie....and also the over-explicit background stories for those who have not seen the individual Marvel movies), but great use of integrated, narrative 3D. The action sequences were stupendous. Plenty of humour too. And Hulk kicks ass!

Yeah the disagreement scene didn't make too much sense, I thought the same thing, but it's just a minor negative in an otherwise positive uber-superhero flick. No drawn out action scenes, just the right amount of those and talky ones. Shame didn't get Edward Norton though. Even though he was a bit skinny for his green alter ego he did a good job in The Incredible Hulk.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I far preferred Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner to Ed Norton's.
  12. Physically he's more convincing, no doubt about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas and I just saw Thor before going to watch The Avengers, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. With Thor (at home) I liked the whole Norse mythology thing

Actually, beyond the names of the places and characters, there isn't much left of the Norse mythology in the comic book or the film adaptation. It's like a Hollywood glitter version. I thoroughly disliked THOR for that very reason, but that may be because I have such a strong connection to the original source material. It's like seeing a national treasure raped. But that's just where I come from. As a film in itself, it had some values here and there.

THE AVENGERES is a vastly superior film, though (even though that isn't perfect either).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    JS: HAYWIRE (2011)

Steven Soderbergh's latest. It's a slick agent action/thriller, a kind of female version of Jason Bourne. Of particular interest is the smooth action sequences, very stylized to the extent that sound is muted out and Holmes' music is allowed to shine. Downtempo uptempo, if you will.

JS: TYRANNOSAUR (2011)

I LOVE films from gritty, rough working class environments in Britain. This is well told, lots of intensity and layers. Fantastic acting performances too.
    I am extremely serious.