• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012
    JS: SHAME (2011)

Steve McQueen's excellent follow-up to HUNGER, starring a brilliant Michael Fassbender (he's really THE actor of the current generation) as a sexually and otherwise frustrated man who loses touch with his surroundings.

JS: OSLO, AUGUST 31 (2011)

In many ways, a natural companion piece to SHAME. It's one of the best Norwegian films of the 2000's, directed by Joachim Trier, about a young drug addict on the alleged mend who goes through the city of Oslo during a whole day and night, bumping into old acquaintances while he contemplates suicide. Also alienated from the world around him. A brilliant filmatic language; beautiful and poetic with very realistic acting (unusual for a Norwegian film). I have a personal connection to it too. I've worked with the protagonist previously, and I auditioned for a small role in it (didn't get it, obviously, so it was a bit painful to see that particular role played by someone else when it appeared).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012
    Braveheart

An enjoyable, silly film. Particularly rousing to see the nasty terrorist Wallace get his comeuppance at the end.
  1. Thor wrote

Steve McQueen's excellent follow-up to HUNGER, starring a brilliant Michael Fassbender (he's really THE actor of the current generation) as a sexually and otherwise frustrated man who loses touch with his surroundings.

In many ways, a natural companion piece to SHAME. It's one of the best Norwegian films of the 2000's, directed by Joachim Trier, about a young drug addict on the alleged mend who goes through the city of Oslo during a whole day and night, bumping into old acquaintances while he contemplates suicide. Also alienated from the world around him. A brilliant filmatic language; beautiful and poetic with very realistic acting (unusual for a Norwegian film). I have a personal connection to it too. I've worked with the protagonist previously, and I auditioned for a small role in it (didn't get it, obviously, so it was a bit painful to see that particular role played by someone else when it appeared).

Would be interested in seeing OSLO.
    SHAME is a very good film. That opening 10 minute montage is one of my favourite openings to a film in a while. I must say I wish it had ended 10 minutes earlier, on the CU of Michael Fassbender's face as he's [spoiler] [spoiler]having sex with the two prostitutes. It was a perfect vision of that character's pain, and the subsequent race home, the sister's attempted suicide and the dockside scene added almost nothing for me. [/spoiler]
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

SHAME is a very good film. That opening 10 minute montage is one of my favourite openings to a film in a while. I must say I wish it had ended 10 minutes earlier, on the CU of Michael Fassbender's face as he's [spoiler] [spoiler]having sex with the two prostitutes. It was a perfect vision of that character's pain, and the subsequent race home, the sister's attempted suicide and the dockside scene added almost nothing for me. [/spoiler]

I agree. In fact, I was convinced it ended at that time. On the other hand, the subway scene towards the end is also fitting, narratively[spoiler] (someone has thrown him or -herself in front of the train, and from the signal earlier in the film - when his sister is standing on the edge of the platform - we assume it may be her).[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Braveheart

An enjoyable, silly film. Particularly rousing to see the nasty terrorist Wallace get his comeuppance at the end.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. In fact, I was convinced it ended at that time. On the other hand, the subway scene towards the end is also fitting, narratively[spoiler] (someone has thrown him or -herself in front of the train, and from the signal earlier in the film - when his sister is standing on the edge of the platform - we assume it may be her).[/spoiler]

I know... but in a way, [spoiler]by directly raising a shadow over the sister's life (through the train scene or the subsequent sequence in his apartment), it brought melodrama into the story in a way that hadn't been there before. You can kind of see where it's going, and her last answering machine message would have been a fitting ominous farewell to the character (symmetrical to her introduction). It's funny, I can only be this fussy with films I like. wink [/spoiler]
  3. The Pacific

I've had this on blu ray for almost 18 months and finally got round to watching it in the last week. I thought it was absolutely brilliant! I know a lot of people who've written it off because it's not 'Band of Brothers', well no, it's not. Despite many of the same people being involved it's very much it's own beast and all the better for it, it's a shame people insist on comparing one to other though it is understandable why they do. I was very impressed with how they were able to show so much of the Pacific campaign while still keep it very much focused on character. I liked the music in context though it was a little repetitive, some stunner moments though, like the landing on Peleliu. I was disappointed that the track 'Men at War', which I've listened to endlessly in the last couple of years only went half used. Overall a great miniseries, I'm sure I'll return to it every 3 or 4 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012
    John Chambers wrote
    The Pacific

I've had this on blu ray for almost 18 months and finally got round to watching it in the last week. I thought it was absolutely brilliant! I know a lot of people who've written it off because it's not 'Band of Brothers', well no, it's not. Despite many of the same people being involved it's very much it's own beast and all the better for it, it's a shame people insist on comparing one to other though it is understandable why they do. I was very impressed with how they were able to show so much of the Pacific campaign while still keep it very much focused on character. I liked the music in context though it was a little repetitive, some stunner moments though, like the landing on Peleliu. I was disappointed that the track 'Men at War', which I've listened to endlessly in the last couple of years only went half used. Overall a great miniseries, I'm sure I'll return to it every 3 or 4 years.

I liked it too. In fact, it's fresher in my mind than BoB.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with John and Thor, great series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I made it about 5-6 episodes in and quit. The soap operaish episodes that took place in Melbourne were terrible! And I really didn't connect with any of the characters.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I did. I think you've missed out Erik.
  4. I agree, but if the characters just didn't click for Erik then that's just the way it is, nothing wrong with that.

The Pacific campaign is very difficult to cover in it's entirety or even to give a satisfactory broad overview, there were so many different battles on so many different islands and it would have been easy for it to degenerate into faceless battles in the jungle for most of the running time. The series certainly didn't shy away from the fighting or horrors of war, indeed it has some of the most horrifying images I've ever seen on film.

That certainly had to be big part of the series but I thought it was a stroke of genius to dwell on not just how they were before the war and how it left them after but also to see what happened to these men between these battles. I'd never even thought about that angle before and I found it to be fascinating and touching. The material in Melbourne, the hospital camp and the entire final episode managed to be some of my favourite without a single shot fired. It must have been unbelievably terrifying to get off an island after months of hellish warfare and know that you're going to have to go to some other island you've never heard of and do it all again. We really do owe such a huge debt to that generation who gave so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012 edited
    JS: INCENDIES (2010)

French language Canadian film about the death of a Palestian mother in Canada who leaves her twin children with a curious will -- asking them to trace their long lost brother and father for answers. This takes them on a trip of discovery through contemporary Palestine, discovering more and more of their mother's dark history. The film crosscuts between the mother's story and the children, which puts the social and political (and often brutal) backdrop against the mystery of the quest. Very interesting and gripping film, although the final plotline seems a little too incredible and disturbed for its own good.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'm curious about that one, but I was put off by someone alleging 'it's like THE EDGE OF HEAVEN, but it gives in to the need for melodrama.'
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm curious about that one, but I was put off by someone alleging 'it's like THE EDGE OF HEAVEN, but it gives in to the need for melodrama.'

I found it curiously devoid of melodrama, actually. The few issues I have is more on the plot side. But I thought it was excellent, a typical film from the festival circuit (especially festivals focussing on 'films from the South' as they say....even though Canada is hardly South!).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. TRUST (2010)

Now this film had me surprised in a big way. Who would've thought funny man Ross from Friends would actually direct this VERY gripping and emotionally heart-breaking tale of a young girl tricked into a meeting with an older man who she met during a chat session while pretending to be someone her age. She is subsequently raped by the smooth-talker and initially she defends the guy because she thinks he actually cares for her feelings. But it's what happens following the rape that will get under everybody's skin, as mom and dad start to lose grip on their daughter because of their inability to make her open up to them. It's slowly turning the girl's life (and her parents') into a living hell. I'm not afraid to admit, this movie had me in tears and awe pretty much the whole time because of the astounding performances by Clive Owen, Catherine Keener and last but not least the uber-talented Liana Liberato as the 14 year old rape victim. Drama's handled in such sensitive and realistic manner don't come by often, so this gets a big thumbs up from me.

9 / 10
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    TRUST (2010)

Now this film had me surprised in a big way. Who would've thought funny man Ross from Friends would actually direct this VERY gripping and emotionally heart-breaking tale of a young girl tricked into a meeting with an older man who she met during a chat session while pretending to be someone her age. She is subsequently raped by the smooth-talker and initially she defends the guy because she thinks he actually cares for her feelings. But it's what happens following the rape that will get under everybody's skin, as mom and dad start to lose grip on their daughter because of their inability to make her open up to them. It's slowly turning the girl's life (and her parents') into a living hell. I'm not afraid to admit, this movie had me in tears and awe pretty much the whole time because of the astounding performances by Clive Owen, Catherine Keener and last but not least the uber-talented Liana Liberato as the 14 year old rape victim. Drama's handled in such sensitive and realistic manner don't come by often, so this gets a big thumbs up from me.

9 / 10

The film is not flaw-free, but like you I was also surprised to see it directed by David Schwimmer. It's quite good.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I just read Schwimmer is an activist in an organisation that deals with rape and their victims, so in retrospect it's not surprising he wanted to give some sort of tangible feel of the matter, and wanted to show how dangerous the internet can be for this easily manipulated age group.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I am very much enjoying my children's age now that we can watch many films together. Quinn will be 12 next month and Julian will be 11.

Julian had much interest in The Matrix a while ago but I thought they were too young. I wasn't sure if it was 12+ or 16+ anymore, so when I saw it was 12+ and we felt like watching it too again, we did.

They enjoyed it immensely!! The action, the special effects, that surprisingly do not look old at all, and the music too. I thought, oh well, if they like that, the complicated stuff will follow later on, but I was amazed how much they got from the story. In part one they got all of it I think. At one point Julian asked 'Are the agents somewhere as real persons too or are they in the program?' and he said something else totally smart-ass, so I'm sure he got it!

We saw Reloaded on sunday and I had forgotten how good that one is too. I remembered it less good, so I was surprised by eveything I had forgotten about already. Perhaps tonight we'll watch Revolutions. And we are listening the music for days now and the kids are dancing. Great fun.

:proud mom signing off: wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    We saw Reloaded on sunday and I had forgotten how good that one is too.

Or you've always realised how bad it is! It isn't The Matrix; it's Cyber Battles. tongue
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    TRUST (2010)

9 / 10

glad you liked it, mom and me enjoyed (if you can call it that) it immensely as well. Gripping stuff and very very well acted. I give it an 8, a great rating for such a powerful movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Bregje wrote
    I am very much enjoying my children's age now that we can watch many films together. Quinn will be 12 next month and Julian will be 11.

Julian had much interest in The Matrix a while ago but I thought they were too young. I wasn't sure if it was 12+ or 16+ anymore, so when I saw it was 12+ and we felt like watching it too again, we did.

They enjoyed it immensely!! The action, the special effects, that surprisingly do not look old at all, and the music too. I thought, oh well, if they like that, the complicated stuff will follow later on, but I was amazed how much they got from the story. In part one they got all of it I think. At one point Julian asked 'Are the agents somewhere as real persons too or are they in the program?' and he said something else totally smart-ass, so I'm sure he got it!

We saw Reloaded on sunday and I had forgotten how good that one is too. I remembered it less good, so I was surprised by eveything I had forgotten about already. Perhaps tonight we'll watch Revolutions. And we are listening the music for days now and the kids are dancing. Great fun.

:proud mom signing off: wave

haha, that's great.
    Must feel good to realize that you can start watching your movies with your children from now on, and not hesistate whether or not it's appropriate (age wise) for them. I know how wonderful it feels if you realize that the people connect to the movie that you're showing them, makes the whole choice of which movie you ought to play now worthwhile

go mom, teach them about the magic of movie and filmmusic wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    TRUST (2010)

9 / 10

glad you liked it, mom and me enjoyed (if you can call it that) it immensely as well. Gripping stuff and very very well acted. I give it an 8, a great rating for such a powerful movie

Not a film I'd see with my mom, personally, but maybe it's different for you.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited
    A thankyou to johnjohnson over at FSM for highlighting this information, I look forward to it biggrin

HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU

Star Trek icon William Shatner will take the Have I Got News For You host's chair for the very first time at 9pm, Friday 25 May on BBC One alongside team captains Ian Hislop and Paul Merton and guest panellists Andy Hamilton and Charlie Brooker.

Shatner - now 81 - became a household name for his portrayal of James T Kirk, captain of the USS Enterprise in the cult TV series Star Trek – 79 episodes over three years - and seven subsequent feature films. After abandoning intergalactic exploration, he played the eponymous, kick-ass veteran cop in T J Hooker as well as hosting the reality TV series Rescue 911. He then starred as the bombastic, highly comic attorney Denny Crane in the television dramas The Practice and its spin-off Boston Legal for which he won two Emmys and one Golden Globe award.

Along the way he has found time to work as an author, producer, director and even a singer whilst breeding horses on his Kentucky ranch and being a “total petrol head” on the motor-racing track.

A versatile, classically trained Shakespearean actor - who famously enjoyed a highly controversial interracial screen kiss, starred in a gothic film in which all the dialogue was in Esperanto and played the 'Big Giant Head', a womanising party animal in 3rd Rock From The Sun - Shatner is no stranger to poking fun at himself and is looking forward to his first stint in the host's chair: “English sense of humour is different from American sense of humour. Luckily I'm Canadian.”

?Additional hosts and guests confirmed for the remaining shows in the current series are: Alexander Armstrong - a record-breaking 20th time in the chair - with guests comedian Reginald D Hunter and outspoken Tory MP Nadine Dorries (programme 5); BAFTA nominated actress and comedienne Kathy Burke with defeated Labour mayoral candidate Ken Livingstone and actor and comedian Joe Wilkinson (programme 6) and the much-anticipated hosting debut of Alastair Campbell with Alan Sugar's right-hand man Nick Hewer and funnyman Ross Noble as guest panellists (programme 8).

In the final programme of this series on Friday 8 June, writer, broadcaster and poker player Victoria Coren and Greg Davies, probably best known as Mr Gilbert in The Inbetweeners, will be joined by Kirsty Young, her 11th appearance in the host chair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest … atner.html
  10. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    TRUST (2010)

9 / 10

Not a film I'd see with my mom, personally, but maybe it's different for you.

we watch all kinds of movies with our mom (or parents), whether it's LOTR, Transformers 3, Battle LA or The Blues Brothers, she mostly enjoys herself. But a movie like Trust is something she absolutely likes to see, she loves human dramas. She's even nuts about Game of Thrones, so I'd say Trust was right up her alley wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Just saw THE DICTATOR as part of a silly film quiz evening. Not even a round of film music! Lucky the film was amusing enough to keep us entertained for the second half of the evening. It's nowhere near as good as Borat. I had a smile on my face most of the time, but it often got really awkward, especially when there's the USA poking, a bit similar to Borat, although more politically aimed of course.

Now, this week also Moonrise Kingdom arrives and that's really what I want to see!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    Steven wrote
    Bregje wrote
    We saw Reloaded on sunday and I had forgotten how good that one is too.

Or you've always realised how bad it is! It isn't The Matrix; it's Cyber Battles. tongue

That's true. At one point, 20 minutes into yet another battle scene, I had actually forgotten where they were going to and why!!

But the battles are goooooood lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    JS: THE HUNTER (2012)

Willem Defoe plays a hunter who's on assignment to find and retrieve a Tasmanian Tiger in Tasmania (believed to be extinct), but eventually finds out there are ulterior motives behind his assigment. Sounds like a rollicking, exotic adventure, but it's anything but. Slow, hypnotic, poetic and an unusually restrained Defoe.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Is it any good though? What little I saw of it suggested they might have taken the tale a little too literally. (Apichatpong's Thai film 'Tropical Malady' seems to strike a better tone in its 'hunt for tiger' tale.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    Is it filmed in Tasmania?