• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    Or Tarkovsky's other philosophical sci-fi masterpiece, Solyaris.
  1. Indeed, but I didn't see that one on the big screen the other night. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Hard to compare, as they operate in two very different paradigms (Tarkosky created art outside the mainstream, Scott creates art inside it). But the philosophy isn't any 'more' or 'less', I think. It's difficult to quantify that way.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Any film with an equivalent amount of philosophy to a Tarkovsky has a 'lot' of the damn stuff, however it is quantified.

How would it compare philosophically to the various versions of the BLADE RUNNER director's cut? There's a very atmosphere driven story that is quite happy to stop and discuss ideas almost as often as STALKER does.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK ( 1981 )

It's been quite some time since I saw this and it's still just as much fun as it ever was, rip-roaring entertainment from start to finish and never a dull moment, the action scenes breathe, you can see what's going on and I'd say today's "action" directors could learn something about that from this 30 year old film.

10/10

The score ain't bad either wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
    Timmer wrote

10/10

There can be no other rating.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited
    BROKEN ARROW

Not by choice, I saw the last 40 minutes because Mel was watching it and wanted to stick it out to the bitter end, actually it was entertaining for all the wrong reasons, a cliched laughable load of shit, john Travolta is very watchable for his OTT hammy performance, the rest is risible and that includes Hans Zimmer's score which IMO is trite rubbish, Duanne Eddy plays guitar does he? It could have been anyone.

1*/10

*For Travolta's OTT performance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
    Timmer wrote

It's been quite some time since I saw this and it's still just as much fun as it ever was, rip-roaring entertainment from start to finish and never a dull moment, the action scenes breathe, you can see what's going on and I'd say today's "action" directors could learn something about that from this 30 year old film.

10/10

The score ain't bad either wink

AMEN BROTHER!

:whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    Men In Black 3

For a sci-fi comedy, this really wasn't that funny. Save a surprisingly emotional scene at the end I can't really recommend this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Men In Black 3

For a sci-fi comedy, this really wasn't that funny. Save a surprisingly emotional scene at the end I can't really recommend this.

It hasn't had good reviews, I'll probably watch the DVD ( or Bluray if I've upgraded by then )
  3. Timmer wrote
    BROKEN ARROW

Not by choice, I saw the last 40 minutes because Mel was watching it and wanted to stick it out to the bitter end, actually it was entertaining for all the wrong reasons, a cliched laughable load of shit, john Travolta is very watchable for his OTT hammy performance, the rest is risible and that includes Hans Zimmer's score which IMO is trite rubbish, Duanne Eddy plays guitar does he? It could have been anyone.

1*/10

*For Travolta's OTT performance.

Well for me it's very entertaining because

1. it's John Woo doing his HK stuff in american fashion
    2. Travolta is way too cool in this flick, he did an even better job in Face/Off
    3. Zimmer's score is fuckin' awesome

Looks like I enjoy this for all the right reasons. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Timmer wrote
    ... ( or Bluray if I've upgraded by then )

If you are going to upgrade I can recommend some must-have titles that will make your jaw drop on the floor, multiple times.

Not Broken Arrow though...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Gilles, John Woo doing his HK stuf in an American fashion is ONLY Face/Off, the only time in his career when he was left totally alone with his process. From what I've heard Woo on Broken Arrow, as much as on Hard Target, was actually denied the final cut.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Gilles, John Woo doing his HK stuf in an American fashion is ONLY Face/Off, the only time in his career when he was left totally alone with his process. From what I've heard Woo on Broken Arrow, as much as on Hard Target, was actually denied the final cut.

Yes i agree Face/Off is a much better film thanks the the Hard-Boiled style of shooting action and the intense dynamic between the two leads. But Broken Arrow does have some of his trademarks too, though not as put in the foreground as with Face/Off, you do have a point there. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gilles, John Woo doing his HK stuf in an American fashion is ONLY Face/Off, the only time in his career when he was left totally alone with his process.

Couldn't agree more. Too bad he didn't (or they didn't let him) follow this path.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  7. John Chambers wrote
    The Avengers

Astoundingly, unbelievably good!! It's amazing how Joss Whedon juggles so many characters to create such a satisfying whole, the most fun I've had in the cinema for a very long time. I thought the score worked great in context too.

If you guys haven't read it, go and find it on eBay -- his two or three year run on the comic book "The Astonishing X-Men".

I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but from the makers of the excellent short-lived TV series "Profit", I found another really good, although short-lived TV series, "Vengeance Unlimited".

The show, to me, isn't named so well, and implies something else.

Did somebody you know wrongly go to jail because somebody in charge wanted fame? Statute of limitations run out and the person who harmed you still out there free & clear? Suddenly, you get a surpriase envelope with news paper articles reporting the somebody getting off, then later being caught and arrest, with a final sheet of paper with a phone number.

Number called, you are paid a visit from Mr. Chapel (Michael Madsen). He'll take care of you. You have two options: his fee, or you owe him a favor.

"What are you? Out of your freaking mind?!"
    Chapel: "Anything's possible."

Chapel: "In a world of chaos, wrinkle-free shirts keep me sane."

KC: "Quck question: Are you the Devil?"
    Chapel: "No."
    KC: "Just asking."

Chapel: "That's it, I'm out of your life forever."
    "Oh."
    Chapel: "Most people say, 'Oh, thank God'."

Who is Mr. Chapel? We never really find out, though through a series of episodes, we come to understand what happened to him that brought him to where he is, though the series was never resolved, with only 16 episodes, with the final episode titled after the TV series that beat it in ratings, "Friends". Like other good shows ended before their time, it was moved around and put up against shows it shouldn't have been.

It's well written, plotted, and seems to be filled with, for the most part, great acting from character actors.
    The music is by Mark Morgan, whom has worked with Mark Snow, and indeed the scoring has an X-Files-like sound heard in some later seasons (no samples on his site). An easily identifiable eight-note theme.

IT had a few stumbling points:
    There were some disgusting Left-wing crap shoved in a few episodes, with the most glaring being a gun maker called "Block" (sound familiar?) being an evil corporation that, after denied a government contract, sells guns illegally to neo Nazi's. Or the theme that cops and military are the bad guys. And one time they tried to throw a bone to the Right, only ended up being deeply insulting and not reflective of reality.

One episode had an added sub plot that was only mentioned once, and then never again -- just thrown in there for no reason and added nothing. And that same episode, the real bad person -- who devised the idea that led to the death of a person, got off scott free -- by Chapel's choice, and the most innocent bad person, got it.

It's not been released on VHS or DVD, so this is the only way to see it:

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktz1rfibFaM
    Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5gPGuCJS8
    Episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zep9bNCoa2Y
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012 edited
    COSMOPOLIS (David Cronenberg) ***

This film surprised me, in that while the trailer promises a weird-out and surreal trip through Manhattan, it is essentially a succession of long philosophical conversations on modern society's capitalism between Pattinson's character and a colorful group of people he encounters during his trip through the city, all miserable in their own right. I knew DeLillo for this, I just thought Cronenberg would do more with this. Make his film more... spectacular is not the word, but it comes close.

While all cast members should be applauded for their part in the film, it seems they have difficulty with delivering DeLillo's often brilliant dialogue. It's like a modern Shakespeare: some can deliver it, others can't. And even though there are great moments, especially when Howard Shore's Martinez-like score creeps into the film, you're left wondering if this film shouldn't have just stayed what it was: a book. Ultimately, it often feels uncinematic in a disappointing and unfulfilling way that makes you yearn for one of DeLillo's books to read.
  8. So... PROMETHEUS. (vague spoiler warning, although I don't think I'm touching on the direct plot except in one case)
    (a) liked the theme -- 'life is the most uncontrollable weapon of all' -- the many ironies, and the most surreal moments;
    (b) superb imagery, and some fine sequences;
    (c) David and Fassbender are a two-in-one worth travelling with for eternity;
    (d) nice 2001 reference with the old man makeup;
    (e) dialogue consistently lets it down;
    (f) has the needless complexity of LOST mythology;
    (g) tries to make a little too much sense given how little of it adds up, far better when connection to reality (and ALIEN) is tenuous;
    (h) if Alien is the 'male rape' film, this is the 'your birth was an accident' film (one of many such accidents depicted in the film);
    (i) you do have to wonder what might have been if they'd handed it over to Lynch or Jodorowsky or some other weird dude to film the second half;
    (j) how did the Captain discover the WMD thing? (whenever this film tries to make sense, it makes no sense);
    (k) 3D remains a gimmick, even when it doesn't detract;
    (l) That Alien is better isn't the point, of course it's better.
    See it in on a big screen, in 3D. Alas, because of the fairly familiar writing of Damon Lindelof, you will probably not need to see it again. For while it's all interesting, it's more interesting to think about than it often it to experience through the various one note characters.
    Between this film and MI4, the theme of big cinema this year seems to be, 'often the high tech gear will not help you if you manage to do something stupid.' (I can think of no other reason why so many characters act stupidly here -- it has to be a theme.)
    Oh and one more thing -- were there like 4 sequences based around the idea that while the people investigating something are enraptured by what's around them, someone at the back of the line is having a coronary that noone else seems to notice or think warrants attention? I checked out pretty early during LOST, but it was that sort of writing that did it for me. It just undercuts all the good work going on elsewhere in the picture. And it's an interesting film. The core theme is strong, the symbolism great, David is a fascinating character to watch...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    (d) nice 2001 reference with the old man makeup;

And the opening shot, of course! A sun rising over the silhouette of a planet, with Strauss-ian fanfares that leads into the 'life' theme by HGW. In fact, there were several 2001 links here, including the interior design of the ship. Could Fassbender's David also be a reference to the astronaut David from 2001 (turning the roles around)? Or what about the android David from A.I.? Or it could of course just be that all the 'Davids' refer thematically to their etymological origins from Hebrew ('the beloved').
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Although I'm not so much of the opinion that everything has to have come from an earlier film, 2001 is probably more likely than AI. (It's robot - and Fassbender's David -- are more emotionally complicated than most of the robots in AI, which adhere fairly strictly to their programmed desires.)

All the 2001 references aside (Alien had them too), I'm not sure it's that appropriate to compare this film to that one. 2001 intentionally distances itself from getting caught up in what it depicts, which makes the film's perspective feel more intelligent than that of its characters. I wish PROMETHEUS had stepped back a bit from its story in the same way. It would give me more confidence that the film was more intelligent than the characters in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Although I'm not so much of the opinion that everything has to have come from an earlier film, 2001 is probably more likely than AI. (It's robot - and Fassbender's David -- are more emotionally complicated than most of the robots in AI, which adhere fairly strictly to their programmed desires.)

All the 2001 references aside (Alien had them too), I'm not sure it's that appropriate to compare this film to that one. 2001 intentionally distances itself from getting caught up in what it depicts, which makes the film's perspective feel more intelligent than that of its characters. I wish PROMETHEUS had stepped back a bit from its story in the same way. It would give me more confidence that the film was more intelligent than the characters in it.

I actually agree with that. It could have been even more visionary if it laid some of the basic story elements by the wayside (including characters) and focussed even more on communicating through audiovisuals. It still does that to a massive degree, but I would like an even more extreme expression. Then again, it wouldn't have been realized as a studio-produced blockbuster.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. True true.
    I must say, I do like the heart of the film. The specifics -- and the writing -- depressed me a bit, but it's what we have and it's better than the last new film I saw at the movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    ...which was Strippers versus Werewolves.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    DEADWOOD

Just finished season 3

cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm...I've been looking for a good tv show lately. Maybe DEADWOOD's the thing? I like me some Westerns. Is it anything like LONESOME DOVE in tone?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll come back to you on that Thor, I'm tired after starting to watch GAME OF THRONES, just spent 3 hours watching the first three episodes back to back...........LOVE IT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'll come back to you on that Thor, I'm tired after starting to watch GAME OF THRONES, just spent 3 hours watching the first three episodes back to back...........LOVE IT!

Yeah, I can understand how that can tire you. I've seen both seasons, and I was totally bewildered by all the characters and complex plots during the first few episodes. I don't know if you feel the same way, but it took a while getting used to. When you did, however, it's pure brilliance in every shot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    GAME OF THRONES = Fabulous! Both seasons! Stunning visual effects too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote
    GAME OF THRONES = Fabulous! Both seasons! Stunning visual effects too!

Indeed. It holds nothing back compared to even LOTR or similar movie extravaganzas.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I guess I'll have to see this now. *sigh

Peter slant