• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. He is talking about camera work, decisions he made and things like that. I was put off by the technical details at one point, but I think the commentary is very good.

I own only the 2-DVD Final Cut edition, but I do have the Dangerous Days commentary, which is pretty damn brilliant, yes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    This topic has strayed dangerously far from discussing the brilliance of Francis Ford Coppola in the 1970s, so I will throw into the ring Hearts of Darkness - a documentary about a great film (in my opinion, the greatest of films) which is itself a great film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Godfather

It's been a few years but I bought the Blu-Ray box set of the trilogy. I love this film. Brando's performance is deservedly iconic but this is Al Pacino's film and the hammy parody of himself he became later shouldn't take away from his early brilliance.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing is that this truly exceptional film is not even amongst the top three films that Francis Ford Coppola made in the 1970s. And speaking of people whose later indiscretions have rather clouded people's judgement of their earlier triumphs - there is surely no greater example in the field of directors than FFC.

Al Pacino was chillingly brilliant in The Godfather, IMO the best role he ever did, what a remarkable transition from family good boy to being the ruthless Don and not a moment of ham in sight, this and Godfather part II are incredible pieces of film making and remain in my top 10 movies of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    This topic has strayed dangerously far from discussing the brilliance of Francis Ford Coppola in the 1970s, so I will throw into the ring Hearts of Darkness - a documentary about a great film (in my opinion, the greatest of films) which is itself a great film.

Indeed! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. For years I've seen the "Unused score: Night beast" under Other Works on composer Robert Walsh's IMDB page, but I've never been able to get a hold of the facts. I still haven't, but I got a little more.

Finally, somebody uploaded the film to Youtube and Robert Walsh is indeed credited. But imagine my surprise to see who's credited underneath him as composer, too:

Jeffrey Abrams

Yes, the one and the same JJ Abrams. He's also credited for sound effects with two other guys.

(additional music credited to Arlon Ober, Leonard Rogowski)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Yeah, it's a good one. I did a Cinema Club entry on it once:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Amazing Spider-Man

A pleasant surprise. It did well what the Raimi films didn't but it also faltered where the Raimi films exceeded. I liked how Peter had a bit of attitude, and Garfield and Stone were fantastic together. Sadly where the film let itself down was with plots that disappeared into thin air (who killed Uncle Ben?, what happened to Connors' boss? where is Peter getting all this webbing?) and the incredibly corny lizard.

I've been having difficulty enjoying Horner's score but after seeing the film it's become much easier to digest. The electronics sound a bit cheap but the two main themes are great.

If they had improved on the villain I would have put it above the Raimi films but other than that it's a solid (if not spectacular) bit of entertainment.

3/5
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just as well they didn't title it THE SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN then eh? wink
  3. Ok, so I went and saw this DARK KNIGHT RISES film last night.

Look it's not a bad movie, but I think it works better if you go to see a sequel to BATMAN BEGINS than a sequel to THE DARK KNIGHT. The first and third films talk to each other much more clearly, even though Aaron Eckhart will probably get a solid fee for all the times his photo is waved around. Seeing it as a sequel to BATMAN BEGINS removes the pressure on the film to outsmart the audience the way DARK KNIGHT did, lessens the requirement on the other super-sorts to match up to Ducard / Scarecrow / Ras Al Ghul rather than Ledger's Joker, and... makes more sense of the film's comic book outlandishness and James-Bond-villain scheme.

Unavoidably though, I was disappointed, because I was still expecting a sequel to THE DARK KNIGHT. What does impress is that opening airplane sequence in IMAX.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    I've seen plenty of films and tv programs and whatnot recently, but never really bothered to post here. A couple of things, though:

JS: OORLOGSWINTER (2008)

Fine Dutch film about a young boy who gets caught up in the Dutch resistance during WW2. Honest and straightforward in narrative and a solid performance by the boy, but hardly breaking new ground. Donaggio's score is gorgeous, however.

JS: FIRST LIFE (2010)

BBC documentary, allegedly Sir David Attenborough's last before his retirement, about the origins of life on Earth. Very fascinating in the cross-section between geology and biology.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Uhm....strike that last one. Seems like Sir David is still working and has had several documentaries since then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote

Fine Dutch film about a young boy who gets caught up in the Dutch resistance during WW2. Honest and straightforward in narrative and a solid performance by the boy, but hardly breaking new ground. Donaggio's score is gorgeous, however.

Some advertising for Joep's review, article and interview regarding this score
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/oorlogswinter/
    http://www.maintitles.net/features/arti … g-process/
    http://www.maintitles.net/features/inte … ogswinter/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Now THAT's massive coverage.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012 edited
    The Dark Knight Rises

Franz said it perfectly.

This is a sequel to Batman Begins.

This is not a sequel to The Dark Knight.

Think of it that way and you will not be disappointed.

It's missing that spark that's been present in Nolan's other films, and it feels very much like a big summer popcorn action film rather than the tight thriller that was TDK. But it was never going to top TDK, and luckily it doesn't feel like it's trying to.

I'm seeing it again tomorrow and will provide more thoughts then. It was good, just a bit....simple?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    The newspaper reviews are wetting themselves in praise of The Dark Knight Rises yet on various sites ( including the FSM board ) the views are very mixed verging more towards disappointed, I guess Dark Knight set a high bar.
  4. Ledger is, I'd say, impossible to top, really.

There was idea of getting Johnny Depp as Riddler early on, but they quit the idea. One thing that was defined is that they would never use the Penguin.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Many years ago I had seen a good part of "Dr. Detroit" on TV. A Dan Aykroyd-starring film from 1983.
    I enjoyed very much what little score was on the film by Lalo Schifrin.

So, I decided while I have some free time now, I'd just see thw hole thing, and hear al the score.

Ah, okay...

So, there's Twilight Zone "suspension of disbelief", and then there's just "this is fucking stupid". Rain Man would be rocking back & forth saying, "Yeah, this is retarded, definitively retarded."

It was so bad, I just started skimming through parts until I hit score, or something that might be worth a lark.

Okay, so to sum up the film by what parts I did see:

Mom -- an old, mean nasty lady who runs the "town" (think Mom from "Futurama" in some ways); she has a taxi company, hookers, other stuff. She's calling in money owed by her local busniess man, who's behind, and to get out of it, he lies and comes up with a boss named Dr. Detroit who's a bad guy, movin' in on her territory.
    Aykroyd, a straight-laced college professor, is doped into taking his place when he skips the country, and ultimately has to play Dr. Detroit -- an odd-ball, colorful pimp boss.

Together with the limo driver, half a dozen hookers, and the Dr. Detroit persona, they try to stop Mom.

Yes, it's as awful as it sounds.

There were probably half a dozen honest good laughs, but they weren't worth it in the whole.

The film stars a young and thin Fran Drescher as one of those hookers. Yeah, she's just about as annoying in 1983 as she was in 1993.

WHAT THE FUCK was Dan Aykroyd thinking?

The director's resume has been spotty since then; breif stints on popular TV series like "Picket Fences" and "Law & Order". I guess Hollywood never got over "Dr. Detroit".

Schifrin's score is a groovy and catchy delight. I get the feeling some cues were dropped, and some score dialed out. For some odd reason the score LP was cancelled -- as if everybody was clamoring for an oddball song compilation with James Brown thrown in there (presumably to get attention) and the bad '80's song by Devo for the film. The end credits list Ira Newborn as a producer on the album -- maybe he was wise enough to decline scoring this.

Space an hour and-a-half+ of your life and don't watch this film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Ledger is, I'd say, impossible to top, really.

There was idea of getting Johnny Depp as Riddler early on, but they quit the idea. One thing that was defined is that they would never use the Penguin.

I actually think -- having seen the film now -- the use of Bane was a gallant attempt, but ultimately the wrong sort of villain to bring in. They did everything they could (bar a few missteps) to make him work, but I can't help but feel there's something about the Joker that's hard to improve on. You can beat him senseless, and he's still laughing at you. He still wins. Something with him, Harley Quinn (Hathaway would make that work), and maybe another rogue at the edges... Deadshot would be interesting (and quite a Nolan-world villain), particularly if Batman had to go out of his way continually to save the Joker's life from Deadshot (testing his ethos about who is worth saving).

Oh well, we have the film we have. Some of it is very good.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Now THAT's massive coverage.

The score is brilliant!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Last Sunday, a lovely tv show started again on the Dutch TV: Zomergasten.

It's a show that has been running for 25 years always during the summer.

The concept is easy: invite an interesting guest, and let him select tv and film fragments and let him talk about it live.
    What makes it special: the length of the show: 3 hours.

I've recorded the episode of last Sunday and I'm watching it now (well, I'll continue watching it tomorrow, because it's getting late now) and the guest is Henny Vrienten (Dutch composer of soundtracks such as the Discovery of Heaven and left Luggage).

I've only seen the first 30 minutes or so, but already parts of 'La guerre du feu' have past the review and he discussed how he approaches scoring films.

I'm wondering what is going to come next.

Martijn, Bob, Joep, and my fellow Belgian country men, anybody else see the program?
    Did you like it?

E.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    Wow, sounds very interesting. Wish we had something like that up here.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. So, I was clicking around on Youtube -- can't even remember what the original search was for, and I found loaded videos of the full walk-through's to all five parts of the "Back to the Future" video game (ommitting game playing around and cutting to the dialogue and plot).

Being as I lost interest in video games a long time ago, but love "Back to the Future", I thought it might be interesting to check it out. It took a few hours to go through since essentially each part's length is almost that of the first film's running time, making it -- if you were to cut out wasted time, about 3.5 new movies.

Man, this was completely worth it. You know how the Star Wars prequels sucked? How the Indy sequel sucked? How both "Men In Black" sequels blew chunks? Or how the "Ghostbusters II" sequel mostly sucked? How you thought if a sequel of "Back to the Future" was made today, it would blow powerful chunks? Apparently that EPIC FAIL doesn't cross over into this video game!

Wonderful, absolutely delightful. It was almost like seeing a fourth sequel only a couple years after the third film, stepping back into the familiar characters that haven't been changed, with all the enjoyable universe it had established.

An amazingly complex plot and temporal misteps. The dialogue was something like 95% spot on -- it was like it was written in the 1980's; while there's no writer credited on IMDB, Bob Gale -- a writter on all three of the original films, is credited as a "story consultant" -- but I suspect it was far more than that. This game, from 2011, is just too good to not have had his hand in it. Even though the game itself credits two other writers: Andy Hartzell and Mike Stemmle.

The in-jokes, the references to all three films, many of the original actors repraise their own voices -- it was wonderful. CORRECTION: Only Christopher Loyld repraised his own character -- everybody else from the films, was voiced by voice actors.

Future Marty: "Bring him along -- this concerns all of us!"
    Marty: "Why, did something happen to us?"
    Doc: "Do we turn into assholes or something?"

Oh, they should edit out all the crap, and play the game straight through with a professional player, and make them driect-to-DVD movies. Okay, not really, but I'd buy them.

No matter what they do, they just can't seem to fix the timeline when Doc makes just an itty bitty mistake. Damn butterfly wings. ;-)

This was great -- can't say it enough. All the complicated stories, the repercussions. The future world Doc and his accidental new wife create -- a bad 1984 Utopian place.

Just what do you do when the Delorian crashes to the ground breaking, and Doc's not there and you're stuck who knows where? Just what happens when Doc dies and fades out of existance? What happens if Doc should disagree with you immensely and turn against you? So much great stuff, and all believably -- character motivations were well done.

Phew, okay, now on to the score. Oh, did I mention this was friggin' wonderful? Just want to make sure one more time.

Okay, the score was composed by somebody named Jared Emerson-Johnson. I'd never heard of him before, but somehow he got all these high profile game scors: "Back to the Future", "Jurassic Park", "Star Wars: The Old Republic", "Wallace & Gromit", and some miscellaneous game (only games, and one short film). He's also credited as a "voice director" on this game, and others.

Sounds like actual bits from the original film (possibly some from the other two) were tracked in here & there but I'd say overall there was far more original score. While it was obvioously not a real orchestra (At least it sounded like that most times, though I could be wrong), it was done real well and didn't sound fake.
    It utilized themes, motifs and ideas from Silvestri's original score, and often kept the general tone of the original film score -- which was a great way to go about it and make the game feel even more like it was a part of the 1980's. It was overall orchestrated well and the music sounds like it would be enjoyable to hear apart from the game. Sadly, the composer has no personal website, though he is a member of a creative film group and has some samples up, but none appear to be from the game.

Screw these crappy movies -- I would like to think any fan here would enjoy themselves very much spending time seeing this instead. And like the film's before them, the very end leaves off with a surprise. They even licensed out the friggin' "Back in Time" song for the end credits.

Want to check it out? Here's Part 1 (the first chunk)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_8VOFi … ure=relmfu
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012
    The Bridge

An outstanding Danish/Swedish tv show. Ended up watching all ten episodes in a few days. The finely-woven plot begins with a body being discovered on the bridge linking Copenhagen with Malmo, meaning the investigation is a joint one between the two cities' police forces. It goes off in a number of unexpected directions but the writing is so strong, each of the twists feels entirely earned. The two lead actors, Sofia Helin and Kim Bodnia (neither of whom I had seen in anything previously) create wonderful characters. Remarkably, the BBC got over a million viewers per episode when they showed it here, which I guess is unprecedented for a subtitled series in this country - but it was so compelling. Watch it if you can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012
    Yes, Justin, the BACK TO THE FUTURE game is great -- especially the opportunity to walk around in the neighbourhoods we remember from the films and our childhoods. It's in the classic Telltale/Lucasarts tradition; I hope they'll continue to produce more new point-and-click adventures like this, since that's probably the only thing I would play right now (it's what I used to play the most back in the 90's).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I just finished watching DOWNTON ABBEY season 2. It's not as good as season 1 (some of the subplots got a little outlandish), but having loved the first season, I still enjoyed this one.
  10. justin boggan wrote
    So, I was clicking around on Youtube -- can't even remember what the original search was for, and I found loaded videos of the full walk-through's to all five parts of the "Back to the Future" video game (ommitting game playing around and cutting to the dialogue and plot).

Justin, I've read your long post about BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME and it has definitely intrigued me. I played the demo of episode 1 a while ago and it was good fun, though I never picked up on it as there were other games on my radar then. I'm thinking of getting it, since both my brother and me love the films, we grew up on them and they haven't aged a bit, ironically!! biggrin

Thor, is it 5 episodes long? Is it true only Christopher Lloyd reprised his part?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    So, I was clicking around on Youtube -- can't even remember what the original search was for, and I found loaded videos of the full walk-through's to all five parts of the "Back to the Future" video game (ommitting game playing around and cutting to the dialogue and plot).

Justin, I've read your long post about BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME and it has definitely intrigued me. I played the demo of episode 1 a while ago and it was good fun, though I never picked up on it as there were other games on my radar then. I'm thinking of getting it, since both my brother and me love the films, we grew up on them and they haven't aged a bit, ironically!! biggrin

Thor, is it 5 episodes long? Is it true only Christopher Lloyd reprised his part?

Yes, it's 5 episodes long, like the MONKEY ISLAND ones.

In addition to Lloyd, Michael J. Fox also has a cameo as Marty's grandfather (and another one) towards the end of the last game, but the guy who voices Marty is also incredibly talented. He's the spitting vocal image of Fox.

And Emerson's score is Silvestri to the tee. Very well executed, with lots of respect for the original movies.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Yes, I heard A.J. LoCascio (voice of Marty) in the demo. He sounds exactly like teenager Michael J. Fox, creepy actually.

Looks like we'll be getting back to the future soon, on the PS3. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. Curious if anybody checked out the walk through's and agreed.
  13. Not yet, but I looked into getting the game. Haven't bought it yet, but it sounds really fun from your description.