• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012
    No walkthroughs. I'm an experienced adventure gamer from the 90's, so the BTTF game didn't pose any big challenges. Not to brag, but it seems like the level was set quite a bit down from what I used to remember.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It's more plot and dialogue leaning -- there's little actual game play. They're trying to tell a story, and try to involve the player some.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    No walkthroughs. I'm an experienced adventure gamer from the 90's, so the BTTF game didn't pose any big challenges. Not to brag, but it seems like the level was set quite a bit down from what I used to remember.

Adventures from the old days were ridiculously hard and because all we had on the PC that was of high quality were these kind of games, where you could really put your time into. Nowadays games in all genres are everywhere and it would kill developers and publishers to make most games too hard for anyone but the most hardcore gamers. So the difficulty has gone down a notch. On the flipside, certain games now take a lot longer to complete because they have much more content, stuff to explore and do. But in the case of Back to the Future I'm thinking they wanted to make the game accessible and fun, which is how I prefer them honestly, not hard and needlessly illogical like with certain old Lucasarts adventures (Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle). I could never finish those without a walkthrough.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Adventures from the old days were ridiculously hard and because all we had on the PC that was of high quality were these kind of games, where you could really put your time into. Nowadays games in all genres are everywhere and it would kill developers and publishers to make most games too hard for anyone but the most hardcore gamers. So the difficulty has gone down a notch. On the flipside, certain games now take a lot longer to complete because they have much more content, stuff to explore and do. But in the case of Back to the Future I'm thinking they wanted to make the game accessible and fun, which is how I prefer them honestly, not hard and needlessly illogical like with certain old Lucasarts adventures (Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle). I could never finish those without a walkthrough.

The Lucasarts ones weren't so bad. Now those RIVEN and MYST things, on the other hand....
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Lucasarts' adventures were full of charm and wit, that's for certain, but I don't think I have the patience to go through them ever again, apart from The Dig which I love for many reasons, also for the fact it's a little easier in the puzzling department.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    The Debt

This is almost a very good film, but its rather silly ending (presumably seen as some sort of Hollywood necessity, to tie things up) spoils it. The lengthy middle section in Berlin is superb, Jessica Chastain bringing real depth to her character, and it's beautifully shot. Then the revelation back in the present day is excellent. And then... the film should have stopped.

The Help

Pretty moving, and pretty disgusting that the times depicted really aren't that long ago. (And Chastain again - terrific. She could be a real star.)
  3. Agreed re: The Debt. That final hospital sequence damages an otherwise very good film. Was it felt there wasn't enough for Helen Mirren to do?
    I did like Thomas Newman's score in the film. I meant to check it out afterwards.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    Southall wrote
    The Help

Pretty moving, and pretty disgusting that the times depicted really aren't that long ago. (And Chastain again - terrific. She could be a real star.)

We've seen the trailer and were thinking of watching that one too. Perhaps we will.

Well, we've seen an awful lot by now and there is awful stuff in there too. The Three Musketeers... what was that? I didn't get it. Was it low-budget or was it kitsch in an artistic way or something like that? Weird. It looked staged and it was horribly acted but perhaps that was part of the joke. It was funny at times, so I could understand why the whole thing should seem funny. It was entertaining though, especially the king.

We've seen Thor. Mwoa. Captain America. Mwoa. Iron Man is by far the best Avenger-movie thanks to Robert Downey Jr. That man is a genius and nuts probably. We've also seen Tropic Thunder. Brilliant!! Not the movie itself, but again Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious in that movie. The opening of the film with the trailers is really good too. Thinking about it, the movie had some really funny parts. Has anyone seen it? Oh, I almost forgot about Tom Cruise's part. Funny too. You should see it.

Puss in Boots. I fell asleep in the end. I think there are too many animated movies and they better make less but good ones. With actual stories.

Tintin. Impressive. Looks phenomenal indeed. We didn't see it in the theatre unfortunately.

Hangover II. Horrible. They should have kept just the first one, which was good.

Journey to the centre of the earth. The one with Brendan Fraser and that kid from Arithbea or something. Surprisingly entartaining, old-fashioned adventure, I mean like the movies I enjoyed as a kid. The kids liked it too.

Mr Poppers Pinguins. Animal movies, always fun for the kids. Jim Carrey still has it. Nice family movie.

Horrible bosses. Not bad for a comedy.

Contagion. Disturbing. Original way of story telling.
  4. Hangover II is indeed a bad rehash of the first, only salvagable because of the cast

I liked Journey to the Center of the Earth too, good music too by the way

Iron Man is indeed one of the best marvel movies, not only because of Downey Jr. but also Favreau's directing, something that was totally lacking in the second

But I liked Thor and Captain America too, we are seeing them all in order now, only to end with the release of The Avengers at the end of August punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But I liked Thor and Captain America too, we are seeing them all in order now, only to end with the release of The Avengers at the end of August punk

I liked those too, I enjoyed it. But I never thought they were particularly good movies. Hence the 'meh'... Surely not a waste of time, but not a wow either. OK, one wow for Chris Hemsworth then, a face like that should be illegal, mwhuaha. And the hammer too. Heavy weapon.
  5. Just back from seeing The Dark Knight Rises and my initial thought is that I found this a 3-out-of-5 film.

Too much angst and belly-button staring and not enough Batman for me. Bane's a poor choice of "baddy" (on a par with Scarecrow in my book). Not seeing the emotions of the character (or making out roughly 50% of what the guy says) means that the menace relies more on other things (voice, costume = Darth Vader for example). Bane didn't come close to cutting it for me on this.

Maybe you have to have been a part of the whole Batman/Dark Knight comic book incarnation to really "get" this instalment but I was severely disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises.

But that's not to say that there were no excellent parts to the film. Michael Caine was given a chance to actually do some serious acting and the short speech he had at the beginning of the film and towards the end almost brought me to tears. And the last 10-15 minutes did bring a tear to my eye.

Zimmer's score, as I remember it now, stood out only twice. And they were both times when there were thematic references to earlier film(s). Once when [spoiler]Bruce emerges from the pit[/spoiler] and at the climax to the film at the very end.

The Dark Knight was my favourite of the 3 films by a long way and The Dark Knight Rises was, for me, a film too far*.

*Are you listening Peter Jackson?

Oh, and the trailer for Total Recall made this film look good eye candy but otherwise shite.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I still haven't got around to seeing it. The media seem to love the film more than many of the individuals I've read on various boards.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    I still haven't got around to seeing it. The media seem to love the film more than many of the individuals I've read on various boards.

I've not really heard much from other people save for the people here - and that tends to be about the music.

As a film it was definitely a rollercoaster - a few low points and a few very high points. As I mentioned above, although he isn't in it much, I thought that Michael Caine's performance was very emotionally charged in couple of places - he was much more than "just" the butler (being a Batman universe, a very unusual butler).

I am not much of a fan of Caine's - that's not really true, I am not a fan of a lot of the types of films Caine starred in - but I was sat watching the film at the beginning and not being very impressed with what I saw up to that point. Then Caine delivered his first "monologue" and BOOM! I sat up and paid attention. I thought that it was that good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Iron Man is indeed one of the best marvel movies, not only because of Downey Jr. but also Favreau's directing, something that was totally lacking in the second

Iron Man 2 isn't bad, it's entertaining, maybe not as much as Iron Man, but I'm thinking of buying it too, and to squeeze it into our tight schedule of Marvel viewing the following weeks. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I absolutely adored the film, but more than that how everything -- all three films -- come together now to create one unique whole; a reference point on par with the LOTR films. THE DARK KNIGHT was slightly better, but this was still a remarkable piece of blockbuster artwork.

6 out of 6.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. What did you think of the music in the film, Thor?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What did you think of the music in the film, Thor?

Brilliant in the film. Strangely, it was mixed really loud in some parts and buried in sound effects in other parts.

But as an album, I'm not quite sure it's my thing. Not my favourite Zimmer sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Iron Man 2 isn't bad, it's entertaining, maybe not as much as Iron Man, but I'm thinking of buying it too, and to squeeze it into our tight schedule of Marvel viewing the following weeks. cheesy

well, you could squeeze it in without a problem, considering it's the end of august The Avengers (the 29th I think) is released, so I think we still have a weekend vacant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    Iron man 2 is one of the biggest money-throwaways in my recent memory, when it comes to big hollywood movies i had the misfortune to actually go pay at the cinema and sit through. Horribly uninteresting, money-eating sequel.

But last night i watched AMAZING SPIDERMAN at the cinema and loved it, both movie and score. Despite not being a 90's movie wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Glad you like Spiderman D! I enjoyed it too.

All this talk of TDKR makes me want to go see it. Still I haven't seen one Batman film in my life, perhaps that's why the trailer leaves me cold. So I'm thinking of watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and then The Dark Knight Rises in the cinema.

By the way, we were too late for Prometheus. Still haven't seen Aliens and Prometheus is no longer in our cinema. So I better hurry with this bat stuff then...

What I really want to see is Snow White and the Huntsman. The trailers look good. Any opinions?
    I better hurry for that one too, I think this may be the last week(s) as well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And for those who haven't seen it yet: Tropic Thunder trailer
    Worth seeing for Robert Downey Jr. alone
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    It's more plot and dialogue leaning -- there's little actual game play. They're trying to tell a story, and try to involve the player some.

It's very, very entertaining with -like Thor quite righly says- more than a passing echo of the old, gold LucasArts gameplay. Thanks for sharing this, Justin! punk

Haven't seen very many films lately. More engrossed in TV series.
    The Office (US): very good comedy that holds up VERY well to its UK counterpart, up to season 5 after which it really tapers off with ridiculous storylines and more annoyance then comedy.
    Game Of Thrones: MUCH better than expected! shocked
    The Walking Dead: Rather worse than expected. sad

BUT I'm off to see The Bat later tonight! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    It's more plot and dialogue leaning -- there's little actual game play. They're trying to tell a story, and try to involve the player some.

It's very, very entertaining with -like Thor quite righly says- more than a passing echo of the old, gold LucasArts gameplay. Thanks for sharing this, Justin! punk

Haven't seen very many films lately. More engrossed in TV series.
    The Office (US): very good comedy that holds up VERY well to its UK counterpart, up to season 5 after which it really tapers off with ridiculous storylines and more annoyance then comedy.
    Game Of Thrones: MUCH better than expected! shocked
    The Walking Dead: Rather worse than expected. sad

BUT I'm off to see The Bat later tonight! biggrin

Interesting!

I've not long finished watching GAME OF THRONES which I absolutely loved, I even enjoyed Djawadi's scoring. I've yet to see the second season.

I've been following THE WALKING DEAD, the 2nd season is showing on Brit TV and I'm finding it a chore to watch.

Am now re-watching the BBC production of I' CLAUDIUS......sublime!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Game of Thrones isn't for me, too much talking and stuff going on I couldn't give a shit about.

The Walking Dead is great and shockingly realistic, looking forward to watching season 2 on blu-ray.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Game of Thrones isn't for me, too much talking and stuff going on I couldn't give a shit about.

The Walking Dead is great and shockingly realistic, looking forward to watching season 2 on blu-ray.

If you think that about GAME OF THRONES then I' CLAUDIUS ( without any shadow of a doubt one of the greatest TV series EVER made ) will send you to sleep.
  10. yeah, my brother wasn't bothered by it at first, but I'll think he'll change his mind wink
    he has to give it another try

anyway, glad you liked the music. I fell in love with his music after having seen the series twice, especially loud like it's meant to be heard. There are very powerful emotional pieces in it, and episode 10 of season 1 has some of the biggest of all
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on DARK KNIGHT RISES after you've seen it.

A close friend of mine saw it last night, like you he's someone whose opinion I value highly on comic book related material, he gave it a 3/5 but didn't give me any spoilers. I'll be seeing it next Tuesday.
  11. Oh, 3/5. Same as me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Oh, 3/5. Same as me!

You liked the score Alan?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'd give it a 3/5 as well. Rather disappointed, though.