• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited
    Eastwood's last couple of films have disappointed me. I thought HEREAFTER was pretty uneventful (the very well-made opening disaster excepted, of course). I thought INVICTUS couldn't decide whether it was a political drama or a sports film and as a result ended up being neither. Also, Morgan Freeman's South African accent was a noble attempt, but distracted me.

I love to watch him act, though. I find his on screen presence captivating. I wish he were in all of his own films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I love Hereafter. I've watched it twice now and it has such a serene quality to the three storylines, I can't help but be captivated. Clint didn't provide clear answers to what is beyond this life, none of us knows that except for a select few who have experienced something and returned to the living. The film is more about the characters paths when they witness death first hand and how they interpret it in their own way when it all comes together in the final scenes. I love movies like that, stories and characters that don't seem to have a connection but slowly intertwine and become magical as a result. Magnolia for example, which does it on a grander scale.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    christopher wrote
    Eastwood's last couple of films have disappointed me. I thought HEREAFTER was pretty uneventful (the very well-made opening disaster excepted, of course). I thought INVICTUS couldn't decide whether it was a political drama or a sports film and as a result ended up being neither. Also, Morgan Freeman's South African accent was a noble attempt, but distracted me.

I love to watch him act, though. I find his on screen presence captivating. I wish he were in all of his own films.

I really enjoyed Invictus. Haven't seen Hereafter - doesn't appeal to me at all. (I agree about the acting.)
  1. HEREAFTER did provide one clear answer: the afterlife, whatever it is, is where one finds the cheapest special effects Hollywood can buy. Better not to show it at all than to show what they did. Still, an intriguing idea for a film otherwise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm going through all Paul Verhoeven films I haven't seen (and need to see again) for an upcoming podcast. First out tonight were:

JS: WAT ZIET IK aka BUSINESS IS BUSINESS (1971)

Whacked-out comedy about two prostitutes in Amsterdam who both want to live a normal life. Some hilarious situations, like all the weird roleplaying games their customers ask for. Typical Verhoeven riffs on sex, in other words.

JS: TURKS FRUIT aka TURKISH DELIGHT (1973)

A fabulous film with Rutger Hauer (of course!) and, from what I understand, hailed as one of the best Dutch films of all time. It's about two young, rebellious people (Hauer, in particular) and all the foils and tribulations they go through when they decide to date and beyond. A very moving ending too, and some absolutely stunning shots by Jan De Bont. Of course, you'll get your portion of sex, feces, urine, blood, vomit and other forms of controversy...but it wouldn't be Verhoeven without it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    Never been a big fan of Turks Fruit.
    Even though it certainly contains some of the most iconic images in Dutch film (the bicycle ride), boasts an excellent score (Toots Thielemans in great form!) and is directed with great panache, I find the acting by Hauer and Van der Ven (the two leads) subpar and one-dimensional. Much of the supporting cast is MUCH better.
    (The book is, too.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: SOLDAAT VAN ORANJE (1977)

A pretty decent WW2 epic from Verhoeven....and when I say decent I mean both that it's a pretty good film about the Dutch resistance (starring both Rutger Hauer and Jeroen Krabbe) and decent in the sense that there are unusually few nipples and stuff for the director. Also kinda funny to hear the JAWS theme as the theme for the nazis. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. So it's decent in every sense of the word... Because usually Verhoeven knows no shame. For the shower scene in Starship Troopers he had to undress fully himself in order to get his actors to do the same. That's commitment! cool

Interesting you don't put Soldier of Orange or what is its english name here. Do you watch these dutch + subtitled as well?

The only way to watch movies is original language and subtitled IMO. Where available of course. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    So it's decent in every sense of the word... Because usually Verhoeven knows no shame. For the shower scene in Starship Troopers he had to undress fully himself in order to get his actors to do the same. That's commitment! cool

Interesting you don't put Soldier of Orange or what is its english name here. Do you watch these dutch + subtitled as well?

The only way to watch movies is original language and subtitled IMO. Where available of course. smile

I agree. I steer away from dubbed films if I can. Unlike the Americans, we only have subtitles on foreign movies up here (except for kiddie films), and I know you're the same in Belgium, right?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes, the north part of the country which is dutch-speaking uses subtitles, the south part (french) is primarily into dubbed films, though a minority prefers to watch in the original language. And we generally only dub kiddie films (but there will always be an original dub available too).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote

A pretty decent WW2 epic from Verhoeven....and when I say decent I mean both that it's a pretty good film about the Dutch resistance (starring both Rutger Hauer and Jeroen Krabbe) and decent in the sense that there are unusually few nipples and stuff for the director. Also kinda funny to hear the JAWS theme as the theme for the nazis. smile

Those are probably the reasons why Spielberg asked Verhoeven to come to America after seeing the film (only to practically revoke his invitation after seeing 'Spetters', hehe).

If you haven't seen it yet, also see Zwartboek ('Black Book'), which makes a perfect companion piece. Whereas Soldaat van Oranje is very patriotic, Zwartboek has a lot more grey areas; corrupted members of the resistance, Germans with a soft spot (Verhoeven himself called it 'a correction to Soldaat van Oranje'). to me, a much more interesting film (and not because this one does feature the expected amount of nipples and naked female nether-regions). But SvO isn't nostalgia for me the way it is for other Dutchies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Those are probably the reasons why Spielberg asked Verhoeven to come to America after seeing the film (only to practically revoke his invitation after seeing 'Spetters', hehe).

If you haven't seen it yet, also see Zwartboek ('Black Book'), which makes a perfect companion piece. Whereas Soldaat van Oranje is very patriotic, Zwartboek has a lot more grey areas; corrupted members of the resistance, Germans with a soft spot... to me, a much more interesting film (Verhoeven himself called it 'a correction to Soldaat van Oranje'). But SvO isn't nostalgia for me the way it is for other Dutchies.

I've seen ZWARTBOEK, but I'm revisiting it soon, along with the other classic Verhoeven films that I've already seen.

By the way, you may have noticed that I skipped KEETJE TIPPEL (1975), and that's simply because I haven't been able to find it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oeh, that's a shame, Keetje Tippel is pretty interesting. I saw it when I was somewhat younger (don't really know about the quality of the film, as I didn't watch it with a critical eye yet, back then) and it left a rather harrowing impression on me in the rather ruthless depiction of the industrial times of the Netherlands. I could get you a DVD copy that's readily available, but I'm afraid it's a strictly Dutch version...

UPDATE: I don't know how badly you want to complete your Verhoeven collection, but it's sold on Amazon by a used seller for a reasonable price: http://www.amazon.com/Katie-Tippel-Moni … tje+tippel

Also, have you seen DE VIERDE MAN?
    http://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Man-Jeroen … FOURTH+MAN
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the tip. I need to see all the Verhoevens before Tuesday, when we have our podcast, so ideally I would need to download it or find some VOD service that offered it. However, unless some of my co-workers find a copy, I'll have to let it pass...for now.

Yeah, DE VIERDE MAN is coming up in my session (no, I haven't seen it before).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012 edited
    Ah I see, it's work! Have you had a particular liking for him before, or is this the first time you really delve into his work?
    And enjoy DE VIERDE MAN, then. It's... intriguing smile
    You have seen Flesh+Blood before, I take it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    Ah I see, it's work! Have you had a particular liking for him before, or is this the first time you really delve into his work?
    And enjoy DE VIERDE MAN, then. It's... intriguing smile
    You have seen Flesh+Blood before, I take it?

FLESH+BLOOD is my favourite Verhoeven!

Yes, I've been a fan of him for a long time, but never got around to the 70s films. So now is an excellent chance to catch up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Shadow

Oh, the sacrifices I make as a Jerry Goldsmith fan. What an awful, awful film this is. The dialogue makes that in Attack of the Clones sound like it was written by David Mamet. Alec Baldwin, a fine actor, is just embarrassing.
  4. But little did anyone expect... it would be the template for the most successful BATMAN film series ever. (Compare narrative developments in BATMAN BEGINS and DARK KNIGHT RISES.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Shadow

Oh, the sacrifices I make as a Jerry Goldsmith fan. What an awful, awful film this is. The dialogue makes that in Attack of the Clones sound like it was written by David Mamet. Alec Baldwin, a fine actor, is just embarrassing.

I don't agree with that......or would I if I saw it again after so many years?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Southall wrote
    The Shadow

No, this is a film with its feet purposefully stuck into the 'dumb but fun' department. How you can perceive it as something awful when clearly Jerry didn't, he took it for the way it really is, escapist superhero entertainment, that doesn't take itself serious. It has better dialogue than Attack of the Clones as well. And if it doesn't, the actors sure as hell bring it more convincingly and with less seriousness than in that other film. At least with The Shadow they didn't have to act against nothing, before green screens.

The film PROBABLY wouldn't be as cool or fun without Jerry's work.
  6. Maybe I need to watch it again, because the last time I saw it my experience was exactly like Southall's. I thought it was terrible!
  7. I always enjoyed the film, a typical fun movie of the 90's
    and the music does help a lot, plus the surround sound is awesome, on the bridge you hear the shadow moving from left to right speaker, and the final mirror scene is loud as hell
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Shadow

No, this is a film with its feet purposefully stuck into the 'dumb but fun' department. How you can perceive it as something awful when clearly Jerry didn't, he took it for the way it really is, escapist superhero entertainment, that doesn't take itself serious.

Because that's his job. Composers don't watch a film and say, "that was a piece of shit so I'm going to write and equally shitty score." Jerry isn't the only composer to write extraordinary music for crappy films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I remember enjoying it when I first saw it, decades ago...but like Timmer I can't help wondering whether that'd still be the case when reqatching it today? The glimpses I remember are certainly quite cheesy...

PS: love the score, and always have!
    Even Taylor Dane's Shirley Bassey.
    Not sure if I want to splash out for the two-CD version, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Shadow

No, this is a film with its feet purposefully stuck into the 'dumb but fun' department. How you can perceive it as something awful when clearly Jerry didn't, he took it for the way it really is, escapist superhero entertainment, that doesn't take itself serious.

Because that's his job. Composers don't watch a film and say, "that was a piece of shit so I'm going to write and equally shitty score." Jerry isn't the only composer to write extraordinary music for crappy films.

-Erik-

Except The Shadow isn't crappy! Not by a longshot!

Tongue-in-cheek is how they refer to the film in the score's liner notes! That sounds about right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Can't remember anything of the film, to be honest.

I did own the soundtrack once, mainly because of the Elfman influences. But didn't really find much to latch on to, so I think I sold it or traded it away at some point in the 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AVATAR (James Horner)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Shadow

-Erik-

Except The Shadow isn't crappy! Not by a longshot!

Tongue-in-cheek is how they refer to the film in the score's liner notes! That sounds about right!

I was making a general point. I can't remember much from the film except for the silly bridge sequence with Alec Baldwin's maniacally laughing after each line he delivered.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

I did own the soundtrack once, mainly because of the Elfman influences. But didn't really find much to latch on to, so I think I sold it or traded it away at some point in the 90's.

There are no Elfman influences in The Shadow that I can hear! It's very typical 90s Goldsmith (with the Waxman theme of course).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

There are no Elfman influences in The Shadow that I can hear! It's very typical 90s Goldsmith (with the Waxman theme of course).

Elfman is all over it!
    I am extremely serious.