• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012 edited
    Rarely has there been a soundtrack influenced more by Elfman than Goldsmith's THE SHADOW. That some people are not hearing this is unfathomable to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it doesn't have a Spanish flavour, so I'm not surprised...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Well, it doesn't have a Spanish flavour, so I'm not surprised...

Yes, I noticed that too, funny that eh?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    He's nowhere near it.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Rarely has there been a soundtrack influenced more by Elfman than Goldsmith's THE SHADOW. That some people are not hearing this is unfathomable to me.

I have listened to a lot of Elfman in my time and have listened to The Shadow on several occasions too and can't hear anything which is even remotely Elfman-like in it. Rarely has there been a soundtrack influenced less by Elfman than Goldsmith's The Shadow, including those written before Elfman was born.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I have listened to a lot of Elfman in my time and have listened to The Shadow on several occasions too and can't hear anything which is even remotely Elfman-like in it. Rarely has there been a soundtrack influenced less by Elfman than Goldsmith's The Shadow, including those written before Elfman was born.

Well, this can go on....

Differing opinions is one thing. Those are subjective. But it's fascinating how two people can hear the same piece and hear so totally different things, objectively (interestingly, however, the ancient Greeks thought hearing was more subjective than sight).

THE SHADOW was made entirely in the Burton BATMAN mold when that became all the rave, down to the music -- with that heavy brass, large interval leaps and prevailing darkness.

There are many Elfman-inspired scores out there, but this is kinda the benchmark of one that lends heavily from his defining style for those movies. It still sounds like Goldsmith, of course, but whether he was asked to emulate Danny or not, the stylistic inspiration is all over it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I always thought the theme sounded Elfman like. All dressed up in Jerryness of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In other news...

JS: SPETTERS (1980)

My God, what a terrible film by Verhoeven. It's got male gang rape and penises being jacked off, but the story is a mess (a gang of motor cross-biking youngsters who try to get their life together) and it all just seems amateurish. What was he thinking? And after being on such a good stride? I haven't seen SHOWGIRLS yet, but this must be his poorest film?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    THE SHADOW was made entirely in the Burton BATMAN mold when that became all the rave, down to the music -- with that heavy brass, large interval leaps and prevailing darkness.

I need to give it another listen because I've honestly never heard that. The theme is very heavily inspired by one in Franz Waxman's Prince Valiant (which doesn't of course preclude it from being Elfmanesque, but I don't hear it myself). I've always thought the score sounded like the usual Goldsmith blend of Bartok and Stravinsky with his unique odd-metered action style, the thing distinguishing it most from "standard" Goldsmith of the time being the elaborate percussion more than anything else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I need to give it another listen because I've honestly never heard that. The theme is very heavily inspired by one in Franz Waxman's Prince Valiant (which doesn't of course preclude it from being Elfmanesque, but I don't hear it myself). I've always thought the score sounded like the usual Goldsmith blend of Bartok and Stravinsky with his unique odd-metered action style, the thing distinguishing it most from "standard" Goldsmith of the time being the elaborate percussion more than anything else.

Thinking about it I believe the Shadow theme might be related to a theme he did in The Chairman but I'd have to give it a good listen to be sure?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    In other news...

My God, what a terrible film by Verhoeven. It's got male gang rape and penises being jacked off, but the story is a mess (a gang of motor cross-biking youngsters who try to get their life together) and it all just seems amateurish. What was he thinking? And after being on such a good stride? I haven't seen SHOWGIRLS yet, but this must be his poorest film?

SHOWGIRLS is appallingly BAD! ( though I've not seen SPETTERS )
  1. I must side with Thor on that one. Jerry might have pulled a melody from PRINCE VALIANT (although he probably reinvented the wheel rather than did it consciously -- I've seen student film composers 'create' this theme too with no knowledge of the source), but the aesthetics feel all Burton BATMAN-like. (Much like Trevor Jones' GI JANE feels like Trevor Jones and yet is somehow also clearly post-CRIMSON TIDE.)

(Which is why it's extra ironic that there are so many overlaps between the plot of THE SHADOW and that 'too realistic for good music' later BATMAN series...)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The theme is very heavily inspired by one in Franz Waxman's Prince Valiant

You're right on the money there, James!

Southall wrote
    I've always thought the score sounded like the usual Goldsmith blend of Bartok and Stravinsky with his unique odd-metered action style, the thing distinguishing it most from "standard" Goldsmith of the time being the elaborate percussion more than anything else.

It is... but if you are doing a dark, comic book film after Burton's Batman then the music, no matter how different it sounds, must be heavily influenced by Elfman even though it doesn't sound one iota like it. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think this thread is heavily influenced by Henry Jackmann.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    The theme is very heavily inspired by one in Franz Waxman's Prince Valiant

You're right on the money there, James!

To prove I'm not crazy, visit 1:55 in this (wonderful!) suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu56XKcF … ature=plcp

Franz is possibly right that it was subconscious (not hard to imagine how that could happen).

No point me contributing any more. (But I will anyway - ha!) I'm listening to The Shadow at the moment and it sounds like countless other Jerry Goldsmith scores, written both before and after Batman. Had Batman never been made then perhaps this film would not have been made, but if it had then I can't imagine Goldsmith's score would have sounded any different. Can't hear a hint of Elfman in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't care diddly-squat about melody.

It's all in the STYLE here. The Elfman vibe struck me like a lightning bolt the very first time I heard the score; that's how obvious it was to me. In fact, that's why I bought it to begin with. It was cool to hear Jerry channel Danny.

It's actually closer in both style (and even melody) to Elfman's DICK TRACY, but the latter obviously also belongs in the post-BATMAN sound that both Elfman himself and countless other composers emulated -- including Goldsmith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBOoWg60Rs
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, it is more Dick Tracy than Batman, now that you brought it up, but The Shadow is unmistakably Goldsmith through and through.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    In other news...

Never saw the whole film, to be honest I don't care much for Dutch film, but yeah, it's quite bad. It's the film that had Spielberg invoke his invitation to Verhoeven to come to Hollywood. In the Netherlands, it's a film that seems to have defined a generation, but I'll never 'get' it. It's also a film with no international appeal, as such.

Now, Showgirls is a different thing, to me. Mind you, I saw it when I expected to see The. Worst. Film. Of. All. Time., as many make it out to be, and I saw it in the same week as I saw Striptease. I expected that Demi Moore film to be simply a bad acted version of a mother struggling to raise her daughter and as such become an exotic dancer, but got a horrible, terrible mess of a film that tried to incorporate a thriller-plot, misjudged bad humour, etc.

Showgirls, on the other hand, is a lot better focused and basically should be seen in the same way you look at Starship Troopers (a film that is horribly misunderstood, by the way, as is Showgirls, to some extent). A disclaimer first; no, it certainly isn't a good film and it has many obvious flaws. But you should know how to watch it, and since I was mainly interested on WHY Verhoeven (a very intelligent man, mind you) wanted to make such a film, I was actively looking for that reason. Now, beneath the surface of exotic dancers trying to make it in the world of exotic dancing, I thought it to be a deeply cynical and unpleasant film with ruthless managers of clubs treating woman like dirt on stage, exploiting them, making them parade naked like animals, acting like they have no emotion and doing with them whatever they please. The (intended) bad acting enhances the feel that you're watching a satirical film in the way ST did too (Verhoeven cast Melrose Place-like actors for a reason), and it's exactly this what makes the film less difficult to watch. Sure, it also doesn't have much of a plot, but it's primarily a portrait of this shady underworld that horribly exploits girls who are simply trying to make some money, or otherwise will end up in trailer trash communities.

I think many didn't get that and got stuck at the surface, namely a film that showed a lot of topless girls, and started a controversy, after which you apparently weren't allowed to watch the film with an open mind anymore. Many will call Showgirls his worst film, but at least vilify it for the right reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the info, Bob. I'll keep that in mind when I get to it (although I'm well aware of Verhoeven's filmatic projects and trademarks, and I would never have just taken the film on its surface value alone). Like you, I agree that STARSHIP TROOPERS is massively underrated in its plethora of meta commentary, a superb film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012
    Timmer, I can't help but notice you've remained uncharacteristically reticent in your views on The Dark Knight Rises.

Didd you get to see it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer, I can't help but notice you've remained uncharacteristically reticent in your views on The Dark Knight Rises.

Didd you get to see it?

No, a change of circumstances got in the way. Hoping to see it next week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Once Upon a Time in the West

In terms of films, this is right up there. It always hovers around my "favourite film of all" position and inevitably, having just watched it, it's occupying that position at the moment. Everything about it is, or nearly is, perfect - including, of course, the score. The three minutes from Claudia Cardinale entering the train station, as Morricone's most beautiful theme is heard for the first time, is film music heaven, the finest marriage of music and film I've seen. Indeed, the 165 minutes of the film in its entirety is probably the finest marriage of music and film I've seen. Anyone who wants to be a film composer should watch this film and everybody alive who actually is a film composer could watch this film and learn a lot.
  2. I won't say whose favourite score it is as well, because it will bring very ironic comments on! (Yes, him)

Yojimbo

The great Akira Kurosawa movie. I saw only one of the remakes before (the Walter Hill, not the Sergio Leone one, sadly) and it's quite great, especially the bits of very dark humour in it. Brilliant thing and reminds me to see more of Kurosawa in the future, after having seen only Ran before. Seven Samurai is still waiting, in fact I plan to watch the original and remake back to back to see how it changed. I did that with the 1987 Man on Fire and the 2004 one by Tony Scott and I think I prefer the remake myself, because it made things more extreme also in the storyline side of things.

Masaru Sato's score is very interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I won't say whose favourite score it is as well, because it will bring very ironic comments on! (Yes, him)

I remember noting that at the time he said it. Elsewhere, I believe Thor has noted that the score is Elfmanesque (it has instruments in and everything).
  3. Hey, what's going on -- everyone's watching classics today! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hey, what's going on -- everyone's watching classics today! smile

You're right. I look forward to Thor's report on Showgirls later.
  4. biggrin

Michael, I don't know so many classics that it hurts. I started with a selection from IMDB's top 250
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012
    Since people do it to me, it's only fair to do it to Roger Ebert - I noticed that he awarded Once Upon a Time in the West 2.5 stars; and The Shadow, 3 stars. So The Shadow is 20% better than Once Upon a Time in the West. I love star ratings.