• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A few weeks ago I mentioned here I hadn't seen almsot all the episdoe of "South Park", for years now, for various reasons.

Did you all know they've put all the episodes online for free (with commercials)? I didn't.
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep … ed-chicken

I discovered it a few days ago and I've been catching up.

I had forgotten just how evil and manipulative Cartman had gotten. He seems to get a little worse each season. I've watched him try to gun down Butters in order to win a contest, have a house shot up and the mother of the kid's house shot dead in a police/hitmen battle, and other things.

Some people like to say "South Park" has jumped the shark. I just can't agree. I'm laughing as hard as I did during the first seasons if not more so now and there's not been a bad episode. Ever. There were some I didn't enjoy as much as others, but it's been hit after hit for 16 seasons. And the 17th season is starting up next week. 16 friggin' seasons! And they've not declined any bit. I don't see what's going to stop this show from going on as long if not longer than "The Simpsons", short of the creators deciing to end it or the network pulling the plug on it suddenly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    I think there a few dud episodes amongst those 16 seasons, particularly in the later seasons. I'm a huge Parker and Stone fan, and just about anything they do, but even I realise they run out of steam sometimes.

That said, there are countless brilliant moments in South Park. Cartman and Randy make that show. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    I think there a few dud episodes amongst those 16 seasons, particularly in the later seasons. I'm a huge Parker and Stone fan, and just about anything they do, but even I realise they run out of steam sometimes.

That said, there are countless brilliant moments in South Park. Cartman and Randy make that show. biggrin

Every word you said is a fact.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  2. I just watched the episode "Insheeption". They made fun of Zimmer. I wasn't expecting that. The only composer I remember them making fun of before was Randy Newman.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep … nsheeption
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Want it or not, that score in particular (because of the movie and the teenager popularity of the composer, some time since not even Pirates, but the Batman films) did become a cultural phenomenon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. "A Boy and His Dog" (1975)

I think it would be correct to say this is a product of the 1970's.

Don Johnson plays a young may in a post-apocalypse world after World War IV. It's 2024! (dramatic pause). Yeah, like that really mattered.

Anyway, I skimmed through about half the movie, which turned out meaning I didn't miss much.

This young man goes on the hunt for a woman to have sex with, apparently not for procreatrion but rather because he's horny.

Anyway, he travels along with his dog, Blood, who can telpathecly talk to him and he can talk to Blood that way, too. The dog has some kind of scanning ability like he was K.I.T.T. (there's even this terrible dated sound effect to go with it)

The movie is a real waste of time, so I'll go ahead and reveal everything.

The young man finds a woman, has sex with her a few times, she tells him she lives in the underground which, as Blood tells him, would be death if he went under there. Hey, what do you know? She wants him to go underground with her!

So, after some relunctance, he does so and gets caught. He's told by the elders, who have strict rules where you break three and you are sent to the "Farm" (which is a phrase for cracking your neck until you are dead), that living underground causes the genes to go bad, blah blah blah, and they need fresh blood. There's a minute where Johnson's character thinks he's hit the jackpot and he's going to knock up a bunch of girls. Next scene, he's trapped down and a device, under a bunch of cloths, is pumping semen out of him so they can use it to impregnate girls who are lined up to marry him.

The girl who lured him down break him out. She really lured him down there so he could help her overthrow the elders, one of which is her father, so she can run it and do as she wants. Her father and the other elders pass judgement quickly and he sends her to the "Farm". so she persuades Johnson to escape with her. They go back above ground where an injured Blood has been waiting too long and is starving and on the verge of dying. The girl tells him it's too late for the dog. She loves him, they can go anywhere.

I said it out loud before it even was implied minutes later: he killed her, cooked her, fed her to his dog, and they left together.

THE END. There, don't waste your time with it.

The score was by Tim McIntire. Nothing remarkable though some pieces might be interesting apart from the picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    Evil dead (the new one)

I wish the cast had consisted of competent actors instead of the usual bunch of teenage models. The movie suffered, by not having a Bruce Campbell. And I don't mean that they should have hired Bruce Campbell as a leading character, but that they needed someone with similar charm and comedic appeal. Despite of this, I found the movie very good, and it managed to capture the over the top grossness and gore of the originals, with excellent special effects. Even though it missed the comedic aspects of the prior movies I quite enjoyed it. The music worked very well too, especially during the climax.

Rating: 7

The grudge 3

Poor actors, poor writing, poor everything. Oh, and that creepy Japanese ghost boy is a teenager now. Apparently ghosts can age, and they seem to become unintentionally comical instead of creepy as they mature. To go from the creepiest horror movie of all time to this utter garbage, that takes dedication.

Rating: 1

Oblivion

Pretty good movie. I always like Tom Cruise in movies, even though he always plays the same guy.

Jack Reacher

This is so pure male fantasy it's almost comedic. Despite having no super powers, this guy is a super hero who can do no wrong, never loses a fight, is an excellent sharpshooter, knows foreign languages and classic literature, knows every fact known to man, and of course the ladies love him. Anyway, despite being over the top, it was entertaining throughout.

Rating: 7½

World war Z

Pretty decent. Even though people say it was nothing new, I think the CG scenes, where the zombies basically act like ants, with immense numbers of fast zombies with no survival instincts whatsoever, is something I've never seen illustrated so well before. Anyway, I prefer fast zombies, over the traditional slow ones, who inexplicably manage to take over the world despite being practically immobile.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    I'm reading this on my phone and I thought you gave Jack Reacher 7% and was about to agree.

I did like World War Z though, even if Brad Pitt isn't very believable as a family man. And the score is a lot of fun, if you like that sort of thing (which I do). I was listening to it while I was in a busy town square the other day and gave a very cool perspective on things. biggrin
  5. Watched The Awakening last night - mostly to hear Daniel Pemberton's excellent score "in context".

The film was okay but the ending was a bit rushed, leaving me thinking "uh?" Some good ideas and I thought that the look of the film was quite good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. plindboe wrote
    Evil dead (the new one)

I wish the cast had consisted of competent actors instead of the usual bunch of teenage models. The movie suffered, by not having a Bruce Campbell. And I don't mean that they should have hired Bruce Campbell as a leading character, but that they needed someone with similar charm and comedic appeal. Despite of this, I found the movie very good, and it managed to capture the over the top grossness and gore of the originals, with excellent special effects. Even though it missed the comedic aspects of the prior movies I quite enjoyed it. The music worked very well too, especially during the climax.

The grudge 3

Poor actors, poor writing, poor everything. Oh, and that creepy Japanese ghost boy is a teenager now. Apparently ghosts can age, and they seem to become unintentionally comical instead of creepy as they mature. To go from the creepiest horror movie of all time to this utter garbage, that takes dedication.

Rating: 1

Oblivion

Pretty good movie. I always like Tom Cruise in movies, even though he always plays the same guy.

Jack Reacher

This is so pure male fantasy it's almost comedic. Despite having no super powers, this guy is a super hero who can do no wrong, never loses a fight, is an excellent sharpshooter, knows foreign languages and classic literature, knows every fact known to man, and of course the ladies love him. Anyway, despite being over the top, it was entertaining throughout.

World war Z

Pretty decent. Even though people say it was nothing new, I think the CG scenes, where the zombies basically act like ants, with immense numbers of fast zombies with no survival instincts whatsoever, is something I've never seen illustrated so well before. Anyway, I prefer fast zombies, over the traditional slow ones, who inexplicably manage to take over the world despite being practically immobile.

I was pleasantly surprised by Oblivion, which kept surprising me with a good character development and little but unexpected twists, I give it 8 for the addition of amazing effects, a super cool look and a thoroughly enjoyable TRON like score

as for World War Z, I though it was a riveting experience that had everything on board a blockbuster needs + character development for once wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched The Awakening last night - mostly to hear Daniel Pemberton's excellent score "in context".

The film was okay but the ending was a bit rushed, leaving me thinking "uh?" Some good ideas and I thought that the look of the film was quite good.

I saw the movie before hearing the score and I enjoyed it. the ending is not rushed for me, but only elevates the experience (thanks to Pemberton's score smile ) 7 out of 10 (the movie that is)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013 edited
    I haven't read ( and never will ) the Jack Reacher novels but I have read that Reacher is supposed to be about 6,5 tall.

In that regard it's hard to imagine a more perfect, more succinct casting than Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013
    Also, it's really boring. Same with Oblivion, aside from the very nice visuals.
  8. Timmer wrote
    I haven't read ( and never will ) the Jack Reacher novels but I have read that Reacher is supposed to be about 6,5 tall.

In that regard it's hard to imagine a more perfect, more succinct casting than Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

6,5 meter? They sould call it "Jack the Giant and his Slayer" or something! wink tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Just saw: Moon 44 (1990) - Roland Emmerich

I didn't see the film in ages because the DVD I bought years ago featured a worn VHS video master. vomit

Anyway, the DVD I just played looks prestine so that's fine.

The film has been much reidiculed back then in Germany. Emmerich was called a wannabe-Spielberg. I think, the film looks awsome given the minimal budget. The story is decent if nothing special. The acting is stale, sometimes goofy. Was Michel Paré cast as a Clark-Gable-look-alike?

But there is Malcom McDowell.
    And there is a very fine score by Joel Goldsmith.

I have seen far worse SciFi flicks.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013
    It's a favourite film from my childhood, although I don't remember much of it anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    Just saw GRAVITY!

It's the best film I've seen this year and one of the most intense thriller/sci fi films I've seen in many, many years.

Absolutely fantastic!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Just saw GRAVITY!

It's the best film I've seen this year and one of the most intense thriller/sci fi films I've seen in many, many years.

Absolutely fantastic!

I really fancy seeing this.

Recent(ish) films I've seen are...

CLOUD ATLAS ....I'm not sure if I loved or hated this? A bit of both!? Loved LOVED the score.

HANSEL & GRETEL ....I was in the right mood and loved it. Crappy score though.

JACK THE GIANT KILLER ....Really good fun and a very fine score by John Ottman
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013 edited
    Wait, you actually liked the score and possibly liked the film? uhm

I thought both film and score failed on a gargantuan level. It spends the whole time convincing you it's all heading to some sort of resolution, but it never happens. It's like one long, boring trailer. And then, mercifully, it ends. Fuck this movie, seriously.

Also, I'm watching Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one), and I'm getting bored by this too. And the score is also rubbish (even if it does have a catchy theme).

God I'm picky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    There Will Be Blood. Now there's a good film. Bloody flawless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And most Pixar films.

Sorry, I just need to reassure myself that I still like films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Wait, you actually liked the score and possibly liked the film? uhm

I thought both film and score failed on a gargantuan level. It spends the whole time convincing you it's all heading to some sort of resolution, but it never happens. It's like one long, boring trailer. And then, mercifully, it ends. Fuck this movie, seriously.

Also, I'm watching Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one), and I'm getting bored by this too. And the score is also rubbish (even if it does have a catchy theme).

God I'm picky.

Which movie are you talking about here?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013
    Woops, sorry. face-palm-mt

Cloud Atlas. In true Jeff Goldblum style, that is one big pile of shit.
  10. It's a pity if you've seen CLOUD ATLAS before reading it. It would be hard to shake the film's curious choices while reading. The book really was a triumph.

Thor wrote
    Just saw GRAVITY!

Assuming 'many, many years' is a number greater than 2, does this mean we're finally free of hearing about how wonderful PROMETHEUS was from now on? wink

J/k. I'm looking forward to Cuaron's film. I wish it hadn't taken 7 years of his filmmaking career away, but nonetheless it does look like a treat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a pity if you've seen CLOUD ATLAS before reading it. It would be hard to shake the film's curious choices while reading. The book really was a triumph.

Thor wrote
    Just saw GRAVITY!

Assuming 'many, many years' is a number greater than 2, does this mean we're finally free of hearing about how wonderful PROMETHEUS was from now on? wink

He, he...no, not really. I said it was the most intense, not necessarily 'best'. PROMETHEUS' strengths are in a different territory altogether.

But for edge-of-the-seat sci fi, I have to go back many years. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a similar experience (after the seminal ALIEN, anyway).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, Prometheus. A brilliant production of a terrible script with a few excellent scenes. I both like and dislike it. (Why is Damon Lindelof allowed to write movies? sad )
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013 edited
    Taken

Apparently albanians are evil scum that are enslaving women. All the french people in this movie seem fine with it as well. But Liam Neeson will have none of this, and he kills a lot of them. His daughter is 17, but acts like a 12 year old, so she's obviously mentally retarded. Enslaving mentally retarded people is not cool!

Anyway, rather entertaining movie.

Taken 2

As established in the first movie, people from Albania are evil. This time they seek revenge on Liam Neeson and his family in Istanbul. The turkish police seems to be cooperating with the albanians, so apparently turkish people are as evil as albanians. Liam Neeson kills a lot of them.

That said, this movie has several flaws, but also some nice moments.

Rating: 6

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well put, Peter, although I really like the first TAKEN. Really intense family revenge film. The second, however, has mild entertainment value at best.
    I am extremely serious.