• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    Steven, you put into your review there exactly what I thought on a second viewing. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    Fallen Angel (1945), a true film noir film. It has the con man, murder, love triangle, and good photography with a superb Raksin score.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013
    Had a movie night tonight and saw JACK REACHER, STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS and SPRING BREAKERS. The first was 'meh', the second 'meh'+ and the last a real treat -- Harmony Korine does aesthetized trash art!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh yeah, SPRING BREAKERS is certainly something! I especially found the (sometimes shocking) images of the girls partying juxtaposed with Martinez' haunting score and the girls' calls with their family telling how much they were 'finding themselves' in this 'unforgettable holiday' to be really poignant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely. It's a very beautiful film in which story isn't that important. Rather, form is content, post-modern style. I love that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013 edited
    Yes, more than anything it seems to be a contemplation of youth in search of their identity and their vulnerability, and how easy they can be impressed and manipulated in this uncertain period. It gives some insight in how many can get on the wrong path in this moment of their lives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that's a possible theme, but I see the film more as one big tableaux that tries to "paint" the pulse of contemporary youth culture. There are all kinds of references -- David Lynch, Gus Van Sant, Michael Bay -- and that's what makes it so great.

I kinda think of SPRING BREAKERS, PAIN & GAIN and Sophia Coppola's THE BLING RING as following much of the same style and aesthetic, even though the films have their differences too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PATTON ( 1970 )

Excellent film with a powerhouse performance from title star George C Scott who won a well deserved Oscar. As usual the accuracy of military vehicles is exceptionally iffy ( all German tanks are American models from a later period ) but unlike in a film like, say, THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE where it was about one of the greatest tank battles in history and therefore makes it's anachronisms unforgivable, I can forgive that in Patton where the war takes second billing to the story of the man.

Jerry Goldsmith's score is one of the true greats, it's criminal that he didn't win the Oscar.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I must rewatch Patton one day, it's a masterpiece and indeed the performance is a powerhouse. Goldsmith's masterful score is even more amazing when you bear in mind that he also scored Tora! Tora! Tora! the same year and they're completely different, while being as great in context.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Just to be perverse, I found JACK REACHER hilariously good.

'Did I have a knife in Siberia?'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Into Darkness was pants!

-Erik-

Prequels-syndrome. wink

Yes, I believe that is the medical term for "sucking".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark

This film is art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    :whip:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark

This film is art.

A lost art.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Raiders Of the Lost Art
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nice.
  5. Watched Oblivion for the first time. I really enjoyed it despite the numerous lifts from other films.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Going through war movies recently I got back to the close-to-masterpiece movie that definitely is Platoon. It's not without its disadvantages - some of the acting from supporting characters can be dodgy (even Sheen is sometimes dangerously close to overacting; though Berenger with his understated *madness* and Dafoe's Elias are a pure joy to watch; also some masterful contribution from Forest Whitaker, Keith David and the, I know he wasn't a name at all, even if he *was* actually considered as Taylor for a short while, underused Johnny Depp).

Though I must say that while I love Adagio for Strings and I don't necessarily agree that it's an overused piece... it is definitely overused in THIS movie (maybe that's what Timmer meant in his assessment). Basically every possible dramatic and emotional scene blasts Barber.

I haven't heard Delerue's own Adagio, I intend to amend that soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013 edited
    Yes, it is overused in Platoon. Also, perhaps because I'm older, I always associated the piece more with it's earlier use in David Lynch's excellent The Elephant Man. After Platoon the Adagio was and still is horrendously overused for anything showing the folly of war and I've also heard it used for spoofs and comedy sketches.

I love Delerue's score, I wish Stone had stayed with it, Delerue's homage being just as good as Alfred Newman's homage to Barber's piece in The Greatest Story Ever Told.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013
    It also used in the funerals of American presidents. So yeah -- it's all over the place.

But film-wise, I do think it works best in PLATOON (because of its symbolic firepower in Dafoe's death scene).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dafoe, only man to play Jesus twice biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Currently enjoying the hell out of ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK.

Excellent new series on Netflix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Thor wrote
    It also used in the funerals of American presidents. So yeah -- it's all over the place.

But film-wise, I do think it works best in PLATOON (because of its symbolic firepower in Dafoe's death scene).

But it's like

Charlie Sheen comes to VIetnam - Barber.
    They kill villagers - Barber
    Elias dies - Barber
    The film ends - Barber.

Yeah, in the death of Elias the final tragic, desperate soar DOES work brilliantly, but I think it may lose its impact in some scenes just because it works as a main theme... and I don't think it should.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

But it's like

Charlie Sheen comes to VIetnam - Barber.
    They kill villagers - Barber
    Elias dies - Barber
    The film ends - Barber.

Yeah, in the death of Elias the final tragic, desperate soar DOES work brilliantly, but I think it may lose its impact in some scenes just because it works as a main theme... and I don't think it should.

True, but I'm not that concerned with the other sequences. It's the religious symbolism in Elias' death scene that is the main strength. Not only because of the piece's religious connotations, but also its upwards-striving structure which is mirroed in Elias' reach towards the sky. The Jesus/sacrifice symbolism is perhaps a bit TOO on-the-nose, but I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Actually, I don't think that they aimed for that symbolism, it is there, yes, but what I heard is that this is a reference to a journalist photo, not to the Bible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, I don't think that they aimed for that symbolism, it is there, yes, but what I heard is that this is a reference to a journalist photo, not to the Bible.

Maybe, but I'm not really that interested in speculating about intentions. Only what it communicates to me, i.e. how I interpret it. I believe in the autonomy of the text! smile That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some elements of my interpretation in the original intentions too -- it seems like a fairly obvious parallell. Stone always elevates things to mythological levels, he wouldn't just put it in as a superficial reference to a journalist photo.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, I don't think that they aimed for that symbolism, it is there, yes, but what I heard is that this is a reference to a journalist photo, not to the Bible.

Maybe, but I'm not really that interested in speculating about intentions. Only what it communicates to me, i.e. how I interpret it. I believe in the autonomy of the text! smile That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some elements of my interpretation in the original intentions too -- it seems like a fairly obvious parallell. Stone always elevates things to mythological levels, he wouldn't just put it in as a superficial reference to a journalist photo.

So your perception can turn anything into a work of art? Or does it need some kind of creator's intention to establish a potential, that trained perception may realize as an individual experiance of art? In other words: Does art exist in an ontological way? And do we suffer it to be elitist in nature? Or is something a work of art because a determining elite - say the New York gallery and art critics scene - say it is?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

So your perception can turn anything into a work of art? Or does it need some kind of creator's intention to establish a potential, that trained perception may realize as an individual experiance of art? In other words: Does art exist in an ontological way? And do we suffer it to be elitist in nature? Or is something a work of art because a determining elite - say the New York gallery and art critics scene - say it is?

smile Volker

That's the age-old discussion, Volker ("what is art?")!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Sure it is, I think the problem that I encountered in my post (though actually the original photo referred to by Stone should be used for comparison) is that I did fall into intentional fallacy.

However, I think the problem with work of art is that while I think everybody accepts that semantically it gets a life of its own, we could go through all the post-structural ideas or even just hermeneutic (which, while not openly accepted, is in a way post-structural, though Gadamer's classic was released 6 years before the revolutionary Derrida paper) is that there IS intentio auctoris and there are conscious references that filmmakers/writer do.

The question is how does our interpretation differ from the aim. And why?