• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    SKYFALL

First off I'll just say it............I LIKED IT!

Is it the best Bond film ever? As some critics seem to be falling over themselves to say, not in my book and we can leave all of that up to other peoples personal opinion, though it does leave a sour taste that Sam Mendes seems to smugly think so.

I'm warming to Daniel Craig a lot, I'd be happy for him to continue for the time being, Javier Bardem was an okay'ish baddie but he reminded me too much of comedian/Britain's Got Talent judge David Walliams, I also found the finale a bit flat though [spoiler]I didn't expect to see M die, somehow I avoided that spoiler altogether.[/spoiler] Also Sam Mendes is not good with action scenes, he really should hand the reins over to 2nd unit or something.

Within the film I found Thomas Newman's score to be mostly good but still lacking, still timid, I liked that he used John Barry's arrangement of the bond theme, one bit not on the soundtrack even sounded like it was going to burst into the song THUNDERBALL and there were a few other moments that caught my ear that I know are not on the CD, but I still wanted it to break out into some goddamned developed melodies and themes ( a frustration I even found with Arnold's Bond scores at times ) and I still stand by what I said concerning Newman's action music which is generic. Who knows, maybe I'll end up enjoying the CD one day. wink

FILM: 8/10

MUSIC: 5/10
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Who knows, maybe I'll end up enjoying the CD one day. wink

You're a reasonable man, so I imagine you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    HANSEL & GRETEL

A South Korean horror movie, it started promising with car crash man lost in forest taken to house in woods by young girl meets her sister and brother and "parents" but finds he can't escape the endless forest or the endless house with it's creepy children and a story cribbed from twilight zone the movie*....yadda yadda.....man this film turned into a tedious and at times distressing child abuse story, I couldn't wait for it to end.

The music was very schizophrenic, some nice Chris Young/Elfmanish choral/orchestral to mawkish overly sentimental tosh. I didn't see who composed it because I couldn't be arsed to sit through the end credits.

AVOID!

0/10

*the episode with the kid who can do anything and his scared shitless parents bow over backwards in fear of him.

don't you have rottentomatoes over where you live ? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Saw Atlantis the other day. It was fine, a little slight. The real knockout was JNH's score. Why can't he write like this anymore? Dynamic, wonderful music.
  1. Josh B wrote
    Saw Atlantis the other day. It was fine, a little slight. The real knockout was JNH's score. Why can't he write like this anymore? Dynamic, wonderful music.

That movie is quite underrated. I wish Disney would do more stuff like it and Treasure Planet, oh and hire JNH back to provide some more of that magic. Atlantis is actually my favorite score of his, though the childhood nostalgia of it (it's one of the first movies I remember watching in a cinema) does weigh in quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Josh B wrote

That movie is quite underrated. I wish Disney would do more stuff like it and Treasure Planet, oh and hire JNH back to provide some more of that magic. Atlantis is actually my favorite score of his, though the childhood nostalgia of it (it's one of the first movies I remember watching in a cinema) does weigh in quite a bit.

Holy shit, now I feel really old. One of my first movies was Disney´s Robin Hood (when it came out)!

But I agree, Atlantis has some great score stuff, especially the second half. It´s not my favourite JNH score, but certainly one of his best adventure scores, with King Kong being in the lead.

The movie is spectacular, too, design- and storywise. It´s a shame it bombed, but that was to be expected. I believe it started on the same day as Lara Croft.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hah! I like that Ralph, I'll raise you THE JUNGLE BOOK which I saw when it came out wink .........yikes!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
    Digging a bit deeper, I´m a bit confused now. I always thought my first one was Dumbo when it got rereleased here, but it seems that would have been in 1976, which would be too late, given that Robin Hood was released in December 1974 here. I know I had a readalong audiobook of RH, and some cardboard stuff (the castle and the fair) to build, and I was sure I saw it in theaters, but it got rereleased only in the Nineties, way too late. I´m young at heart, but not that young. ^^ Maybe some time-traveling was involved. dizzy

So I think you won, depending on when Jungle Book was (re?)released at your place.

Back from Ancient Disney Viewing to Recent Blockbuster Viewing, I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness. Two very well made movies with surprise twists and astonishingly political stories about how to use fear to get what you want, the moral implications of preemptive strikes, drone tech, and so on.

I got very annoyed though about all those debates on how the Mandarin was used in IM3 or the sexism issue with the Trek movie. Stunning how people tend to whine about issues like that when there should be discussions about the implications of the actual stories and how western civilizations handle foreign politics these days, which seems to me to be the more important issue. People always cry about weak blockbuster stories, and now that we actually got some which are worth talking about, they get upset over some creative decisions and a girl undressing in front of Captain James T. Kirk (as if that one was new).
  2. Timmer wrote
    Hah! I like that Ralph, I'll raise you THE JUNGLE BOOK which I saw when it came out wink .........yikes!

I join the club: For me it was The Rescuers. Those films headed by Wolfgang Reitermann are still my favourite Disney flicks.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. That´s a beautiful movie, indeed, Captain. I fondly remember collecting the sticker album.

And I guess we both collected the Captain Future sticker album...? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    SKYFALL

First off I'll just say it............I LIKED IT!

Is it the best Bond film ever? As some critics seem to be falling over themselves to say, not in my book and we can leave all of that up to other peoples personal opinion, though it does leave a sour taste that Sam Mendes seems to smugly think so.

I'm warming to Daniel Craig a lot, I'd be happy for him to continue for the time being, Javier Bardem was an okay'ish baddie but he reminded me too much of comedian/Britain's Got Talent judge David Walliams, I also found the finale a bit flat though [spoiler]I didn't expect to see M die, somehow I avoided that spoiler altogether.[/spoiler] Also Sam Mendes is not good with action scenes, he really should hand the reins over to 2nd unit or something.

Within the film I found Thomas Newman's score to be mostly good but still lacking, still timid, I liked that he used John Barry's arrangement of the bond theme, one bit not on the soundtrack even sounded like it was going to burst into the song THUNDERBALL and there were a few other moments that caught my ear that I know are not on the CD, but I still wanted it to break out into some goddamned developed melodies and themes ( a frustration I even found with Arnold's Bond scores at times ) and I still stand by what I said concerning Newman's action music which is generic. Who knows, maybe I'll end up enjoying the CD one day. wink

FILM: 8/10

MUSIC: 5/10

By the way, did anyone else know, besides myself, that M's home in the film is/was John Barry's 1960's Cadogan Square home in Chelsea, London. I thought that was a very cool and nice little homage to the Guvnor, more than likely he would have written a number of Bond scores there. cool
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    That´s a beautiful movie, indeed, Captain. I fondly remember collecting the sticker album.

Sadly I didn't. But I owned a dire cast model of the "Comet", that annoyingly was outfitted with wheels!

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=captain+f … ,s:0,i:219
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    By the way, did anyone else know, besides myself, that M's home in the film is/was John Barry's 1960's Cadogan Square home in Chelsea, London. I thought that was a very cool and nice little homage to the Guvnor, more than likely he would have written a number of Bond scores there. cool

Ha! That's very cool. Nice homage. cheesy
    How did you know?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013
    Timmer wrote

I did. To be honest I was half expecting the film to be dedicated to him - thought that would have been a nice tribute to one of the key contributors to the Bond films' success.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    SKYFALL

I knew after I read about it...but did you know that without having to look it up? I believe it was just the exterior shots, and the interior was a set.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    That´s a beautiful movie, indeed, Captain. I fondly remember collecting the sticker album.

Sadly I didn't. But I owned a dire cast model of the "Comet", that annoyingly was outfitted with wheels!

I got the same one. beer CF was massive for me. I read the original novels Bastei Lübbe published at that time. Did you know some publisher printed the missing ones only a while ago, and that there are brand new audiobooks/plays out with some of the original voice actors from the series? I haven´t had a chance to read the new ones or listen to the CDs. Do you know them?
  6. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I got the same one. beer CF was massive for me. I read the original novels Bastei Lübbe published at that time. Did you know some publisher printed the missing ones only a while ago, and that there are brand new audiobooks/plays out with some of the original voice actors from the series? I haven´t had a chance to read the new ones or listen to the CDs. Do you know them?

Nope: I own - of course - the outstandingly beautiful and unsurpassed German score by Christian Bruhn. And I own a reprint of an original American pulp edition.
    I also own the complete series on DVD. That very much covers my needs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did. To be honest I was half expecting the film to be dedicated to him - thought that would have been a nice tribute to one of the key contributors to the Bond films' success.

I was a little surprised that they didn't, John Barry was 'family', he was even godfather to Barbara and Michael's children.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    SKYFALL

I knew after I read about it...but did you know that without having to look it up? I believe it was just the exterior shots, and the interior was a set.

No, I got the info from The James Bond Music Appreciation Society on FB. Is there any extras on the Blu/DVD release that say anything?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I was a little surprised that they didn't, John Barry was 'family', he was even godfather to Barbara and Michael's children.

I'm watching POINTLESS on BBC 1, the last round was naming actors who appeared in Skyfall, after Judi Dench was mentioned co-host Richard Osman pointed out that M's house was formerly John Barry's home.

Respect! beer
  7. Skyfall

We saw it for the first time yesterday. The whole family loved it, and it´s currently considered to be the best of Daniel Craig´s run. Personally, I was most amazed by its spectacular cinematography. My God, what a bunch of beautiful scenery... Shanghai looked fantastic, and I think it was the best use of the Scottish landscape in quite a while. The action was good enough; the music felt different and a bit odd at places, but I consider this a good thing, for two reasons: 1) It helped to create that sense of unfamiliarity that Bond is feeling when he returns to London after the prologue, and 2) as much as I loved Arnold´s scores, they started to feel as if he´d run out of new ideas, so Newman really felt like a needed fresh approach. Me likes.

Not completely satisfying on all levels, but overall, a great Bond movie with a fantastic reset at the end to classic times but still feeling new and fresh. Well done.

For a Bond movie, 8/10. Generally speaking, 7/10, but 10/10 for the cinematography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2013
    As good as it is, it does have one big flaw... the line "THERE'S A STORM COMING." Seriously. When are we going to hear the last of that frickin' line? It's like scriptwriters' very own Four Note Danger Motif. slant
  8. But Steven.... THERE IS A STORM COMING!

I liked your old signature better. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. I watched a 1974 TV movie called "Cry Panic".

A man on a trip for a job in another city, has been driving a long while and he accidently hits and kills a man. He makes his way to a house to call the police, but when the police and the tow truck get there, the body is gone, everybody is acting suspiciously, and an unnerving mystery unravels.

Decently written, acted, and plotted carefully.
    It's a good watch if you want a chagne of pace.

The score by Ken Lauber, is servicable. While I'm sure some of the peice would be nice apart from the film, they don't really work -- it wasn't scored quite right and what score there is, is too little.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4i0LpPHBHs&
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013 edited
    MAN OF STEEL

flash SOME MILD SPOILERS AHEAD flash

Both Mel and I came out of this very disappointed.

There's already been too many reviews of this film so I'll just keep it to what I did and didn't like...

:likes:

Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, a fine turn but used too little.

Clark Kent takes revenge on a trucker in what is an obvious homage to Superman II

That woman who plays Zod's right hand m....woman ( hot! lick )

A great flying sequence where Supes rejoices in his power of flight

Clark Kent not appearing until the end of the film is a nice touch

:dislikes:

The film was too long by at least 40 minutes

Zod. Great face but crap dialogue, Terence Stamp still rules.

All the mass destruction....PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

Super-fights that were an edited blur of a mess

Shaky cam in various sequences....very VERY annoying

Clark Kent goes to see the Padre and tell him he is the superman Zod is looking for, the Padre just believes him without proof. We live in a world of nutters and they would have all crawled out of the woodwork after Zod's ultimatum to mankind.

...oh another building is toppling over sleep

Hans Zimmer's incessant bloody score, nothing but SYNTHESIZERS* and POUNDING DRUMS with no soul releasing conclusion to any of it, I felt like I was being held prisoner in the ruddy phantom zone by Zimmer's dreadfully inappropriate score.

*YES, I know it's "orchestral" but I honestly don't see why Hans bothers other than to keep orchestral players in employment, this score, other than a bit of piano and a solo violin for the destruction of Krypton ( not only is that music playing against the scene not new but it was also a bad choice in this film ) and those incessant ruddy drums this score sounded all synth, I was actually taken out of the film by Zimmer's score a number of times, even Mel mentioned how much she found the music irritating and Mel almost never mentions the music in her critique of films.

Film: 2/10

Score: 1/10 ( just for that heroic statement from the trailer that is heard at the end of the film when Clark Kent appears for the first time, a nice little touch I thought. )
  10. I was taken out only once and that was right after the destruction of Krypton (when the pounding comes in when the capsule lands on Earth).

The synths you mention are mostly the pedal steel guitars, as far as I understand. One synth sound relates directly to the sound effect of the [spoiler]world engine[/spoiler] in the film, in the end I was sometimes confused about it until it waned down.

I found the final action cues to work very well in the movie and also the flight scene, which I believe is Hans' best turn in the movie alongside the farewell sequence on Krypton (which is overlong).

The shaky cam pissed the hell out of me. It's Superman for fook's sake, make it all smooth! Also the lack of humour. To be honest, I hated how we were constantly reminded THAT HE WILL BE A GOD WHO WILL CHANGE THE WORLD every friggin' 5 minutes into the film.

In general, except single scenes (how I loved the moment, when a crying Clark tells his mother the world is too big and she calmly tells him to make him smaller, it's actually something I personally associate with and it made me cry, actually), the film lacked true heart. All the emotional core of the movie (accepting an alien identity, being an outsider and handling those super skills he has; also the ultimate choice he faces especially at the end of the film) is basically told in explanatory dialogue (though Cavill was acting well, I would say) which is so full of pathos that it's pretty, but in the end empty as a balloon.

Definitely there are choices made by Hans I will defend and I think I'd have grounds to defend it - picking an ambient approach to the Krypton material, including a specific key/harmonic choice. I will definitely defend the fact that there are separate themes for Kal-El and Clark Kent, with Kal-El's theme allowed to shine in the final flight sequence. [spoiler]Especially the fact that the failed flight features a failed - unfinished - performance of the Superman theme and his soar in the end starts off and ends with a triumphant performance of the Kal-El material, him rejoicing his alien heritage and skills.[/spoiler]. I will defend the concept of Kal-El's theme stemming directly from the Krypton ambience and material and the fact that Superman's theme derives directly from the Clark Kent piano figure and is expanded on in key emotional, not ACTION, but emotional moments (first flight, movie's ending).

I think that the inclusion of the Krypton ambient motif (Look to the Stars) as the basis over which the mayhem took place in the final action music was definitely an inspired choice, as well. Oh, also, the lullaby Hans wrote for the farewell sequence was a case where the music alone made me cry during watching the movie.

What I didn't like was the Zod material, which should have been more complex and Hans CAN pull it off very well (he's usually quite great with villain material, but somehow this time he chose to simplify a complex character; I found the Zod construction an interesting change of pace for a superhero villain), I disliked the choice of going full action when the capsule lands on Earth, which zeroed all the potential emotional resonance the solo violin could have in the movie. I didn't find most of the action stuff jarring, the copy I saw had the score in those scenes actually buried in the sound effects, though I am concerned with the fact that rather than actually properly (except Terraforming and If You Love These People) developing those cues he battles with the overall volume of the movie - that wasn't good and it's the kind of development Hans can do. Also, the scenes where Lois runs from the alien ship with Jor-El being her guide has a nice little cue, but sounding totally inappropriate, to the point of me looking if there wasn't Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan lurking around, because what was supposed to be an urgent suspense sequence ended up sounding like a bunch of CIA analysts finding a clue in clandestine intelligence material. While I generally applaud that there were bits of musical silence, I think there were scenes that were overscored, not that the choice of music (mostly Clark Kent's piano figure, which I honestly love) was wrong, but that the music itself wasn't necessary at all.

That said, even John Williams wouldn't have saved this empty piece of mayhem which could have been so relevant due to its emotional core and development of the character. Trust me, the whole emotional idea behind the story, what it is really about, is something that speaks loads to me as a human being and seeing it done so badly and taken so easily was something... that almost hurt me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Just saw Short Circuit again after a long time.

Ally Sheedy is gorgeous and Johnny No 5 is cute. (That works the other way around, too.)

Some of the lines are actually funny. In its simple way it's a very nice and entertaining film.

David Shire's score is hihghly functional in context. I own the score CD and it's ok if you like the film and use the music as a reminder. As a stand alone listening experiment, the electrnic bleeps are ... interesting. There are also some niche melodic parts.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    I was only recently introduced to UNBREAKABLE.

I was reminded of it because of all this super hero talk. For me, it was one of the best superhero films i've ever seen.
    I LOVED it. Completely LOVED IT from the directing to the photography and costumes.

cheesy
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Quite right Sarah. And man, what a theme!!! cool
  12. I wonder which theme is the general preference in Unbreakable. My favourite theme is actually Visions.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website