• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013
    I disagree with Volker on the ship design, the new one ( eh? ) looks clunky and maybe that's right considering it takes place earlier, the TMP design is timeless, sleek and magnificent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I disagree with Volker on the ship design, the new one ( eh? ) looks clunky and maybe that's right considering it takes place earlier, the TMP design is timeless, sleek and magnificent.

I know my views in this matter are quite solitary. You can argue about the chuncy narcells. But I do like how they managed to integrate desigen elements fom both models that came before. Basically I like all three models.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not the only one. I think The Motion Picture is severely underrated.

True, my friend! TMP is pure Roddenberry.

That's pretty much why Roddenberry was relegated to 'consultant' for the rest of the series. By the time TMP came around he had, by all accounts (and I've read the biographies of most of the cast) he completely forgot about story, people and the thing that really made the series so memorable: the outstanding interaction between the main cast characters, and concentrated on Making Great Galactic And Epic Points.

And it simply didn't work as Star Trek (as critics, fans and box office receipts show alike).
    And I can't disagree.
    TMP tries for 2001 in a Star Trek mold, and ultimately fails to be either.

I guess out of context the film may have merits, but set in its proper Universe (i.e. the three seasons of the original series), it failed its mark.

I agree with almost everything you say. It's just, that I personally love that Roddenberry vision of Star Trek although it didn't work out at the box office. I have to add, that I greatly prefer the director's cut over the original theatrical cut. The TV-cut I find nearly unwatchable.

I find that views about that film have greatly changes over time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A bit of revisionism? Adjusted for inflation, Star Trek: The Motion Picture made (far) more at the box office than any other Star Trek film until J.J. Abrams came along.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
    1 Star Trek Par. $274,311,200 $257,730,019 5/8/09
    2 Star Trek: The Motion Picture Par. $260,212,000 $82,258,456 12/7/79
    3 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Par. $229,227,500 $109,713,132 11/26/86
    4 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Par. $213,118,700 $78,912,963 6/4/82
    5 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Par. $180,708,400 $76,471,046 6/1/84
    6 Star Trek: First Contact Par. $164,686,600 $92,027,888 11/22/96
    7 Star Trek Into Darkness Par. $146,827,000 $146,827,000 5/16/13
    8 Star Trek: Generations Par. $143,280,100 $75,671,125 11/18/94
    9 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Par. $142,092,200 $74,888,996 12/6/91
    10 Star Trek: Insurrection Par. $116,707,600 $70,187,658 12/11/98
    11 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Par. $104,420,100 $52,210,049 6/9/89
    12 Star Trek: Nemesis Par. $58,440,700 $43,254,409 12/13/02
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013 edited
    Interesting. Where do these numbers come from?
    I've always read that Star Trek IV was the commercially most succesful one (which makes a lot of sense due to its crossover value).

EDIT: never mind, already found it.
    Easily enough explained away by fever pitch Star Trek fandom at that time (even though it of course indeed invalidates my box office point). More relevant I guess is that it's the second poorest received fim of the franchise (first place held by Star Trek V, unsurprisingly).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Is it possible that the critics expectations for a big screen space opera spectacle in 1979 were dominated more by 1977's Star Wars then by a 10 years old tv show? Anyway: How good the films compares to the series depends entirely on what episodes you choose for comparison.

What was said back then is one thing what is being said today is quite another. I am under the impression that since the release of the director's cut the film get much more prasise then before.

The topics that set the series apart from other science fiction adventure shows are all there. Exeedingly so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, partially that might be the case, but the reviews are continuing to be aggregated (ah, the miracle of the web), and so remain a pretty accurate representation of the overall attitude since 33 years. And the film is NOT loved.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. It's loved by me. That suffices. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think ST: TMP is the most ambitious of the films. It aims very high. There's a rare artistry to the effects. The music is spectacular. It's obviously designed to make you think. But there's much that doesn't work - the acting is incredibly wooden, not helped by the stilted dialogue. The costumes are horrendous. Not enough happens - even one of the world's greatest lovers of Jerry Goldsmith, which is to say me, gets bored with all those lengthy sequences in which literally nothing other than visual effects and music happen.

I think Star Trek II is the best of them. For a Trekkie like me, IV and VI are also great. III looks cheap compared with the others but I even like that. V has a lot of problems, but the camaraderie between the main three characters has never been expressed so well. TMP comes a distant sixth in my list of favourite Star Trek films, though it still comes ahead of the six that have followed The Undiscovered Country.
  5. My favourite is The Undiscovered Country. Khan comes in third. Anyway, I noticed that JJ Abrams cites TMP blac-and-white uniforms.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm373528576/tt0079945

http://visualhollywood.com/movies_2013/ … ike%29.jpg

Sorry, I didn't find better pics.

Those pyjamas the wear on deck in TMP are rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    It's loved by me. That suffices. biggrin

In fine Trek tradition, the opinions of the one exceed the ones of the many. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    My favourite is The Undiscovered Country. Khan comes in third. Anyway, I noticed that JJ Abrams cites TMP blac-and-white uniforms.

http://visualhollywood.com/movies_2013/ … ike%29.jpg

Mutton chops and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD

Rubbish, of course, but still some pretty impressive 'action fantasy' setpieces. Totally unrealistic, of course, but great kinetic energy and creativity.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Not me, but the rest of the family. They all went to see Star Trek In Darkness. The general consensus was that it was okay. Lots of eye candy to behold and several nods to the original series apparently.

The weather was atrocious here today so it was decided to spend time indoors (the children (and Anne) are on half-term holiday at the moment), so the cinema was the obvious choice. I had a doctor appointment and I wasn't too bothered seeing the film. I couldn't really "buy-in" to the convenient alternate universe/timeline of the new movie(s) nor did I really enjoy the almost-caricature versions of the old characters (there's something about Simon Pegg that makes me want to throw something at the screen at the best of times without him hamming up Scotty).

P.S. [spoiler]The Enterprise is a spaceship and should be in space...only space.[/spoiler]
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    I'll pass you some cabbages if you want to fling them at Pegg, his Scotty irritates me too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not me, but the rest of the family. They all went to see Star Trek In Darkness. The general consensus was that it was okay. Lots of eye candy to behold and several nods to the original series apparently.

The weather was atrocious here today so it was decided to spend time indoors (the children (and Anne) are on half-term holiday at the moment), so the cinema was the obvious choice. I had a doctor appointment and I wasn't too bothered seeing the film. I couldn't really "buy-in" to the convenient alternate universe/timeline of the new movie(s) nor did I really enjoy the almost-caricature versions of the old characters (there's something about Simon Pegg that makes me want to throw something at the screen at the best of times without him hamming up Scotty).

P.S. [spoiler]The Enterprise is a spaceship and should be in space...only space.[/spoiler]

I'd side with your family here.
    But I'm generally rather relaxed whent it comes to prequels, reimaginations or alternate timelines. I'm a die hard science fiction fan but I was never a "Trekki" or something. So I don't take franchise integrity all too seriously. It doesn't bug me if the Force has mediclorians of Starbuck is a woman or Scotty has a sidekick.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Hear hear!!! Love the 1979 Motion Picture Enterprise! cool
  8. I basically like it, too.

What I like about the 2009 design is, that the curved linehaul adds elegance. The desparate elements (saucer; narcells and basis) are better integrated to a whole. For example the back line of the "neck" goes right to the stern.
    The design reeks of power and speed. It's more "muscular" that the 1979 one.

But, hey, just mho!

cheesy Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Let me know when you're discussing something other than STAR TREK in here.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Let me know when you're discussing something other than STAR TREK in here.

Okay, just for you...

Watched Independence Day last night. I don't care what people say - that movie is damned entertaining from beginning to end! Yes it's stupid and cliched; that's part of what makes it so fun. And David Arnold's score is in the dictionary somewhere as the official definition of "rousing". One of the definitive scores of the 90s, along with Cutthroat Island and Waterworld and all those other goodies.

Incidentally, NP: Waterworld. cool punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film is AWFUL yet I still can't help watching it if it's on TV. The score is loved by many but not by me, I can't stand that heroic theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    The film is AWFUL yet I still can't help watching it if it's on TV. The score is loved by many but not by me, I can't stand that heroic theme.

Are you talking about WATERWORLD or INDEPENDENCE DAY?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013 edited
    INDEPENDENCE DAY. ....or ID4.....or whatever
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Waterworld is pretty awful too. ID4 is laughable.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, I liked WATERWORLD when it came out and everybody else slaughtered it (and the score has always been in my Top 10 favourites of all time), and I'm kinda pleased that it has become somewhat of a cult favourite in recent years.

I like ID4 too, for what it is and what its project is. I enjoy parts of the score (the end titles is amazing), but it has always been a bit bombastic to me -- even back when I liked that sort of thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Waterworld is pretty awful too. ID4 is laughable.

It's laughableness is one of the reasons that makes it watchable.

As for WATERWORLD, I can barely remember it. Good score though.
  10. Hey Thor! Hey, hey THOR!

Live long and prosper! alien

Volker
  11. Thor wrote
    Actually, I liked WATERWORLD when it came out and everybody else slaughtered it (and the score has always been in my Top 10 favourites of all time), and I'm kinda pleased that it has become somewhat of a cult favourite in recent years.

I like ID4 too, for what it is and what its project is. I enjoy parts of the score (the end titles is amazing), but it has always been a bit bombastic to me -- even back when I liked that sort of thing.

I like both movies. They are the definition of FUN Hollywood Entertainment. And they have some of the best music of the last 20 years.

FUN FUN FUN. What do you want more?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Avengers is fun; iron man 3 is fun. transformers 1 and 2 are fun; fast and the furious are fun; etc. ID4, as Olympus has fallen, is pure utter garbage.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Avengers is fun; iron man 3 is fun. transformers 1 and 2 are fun; fast and the furious are fun; etc. ID4, as Olympus has fallen, is pure utter garbage.

ID4, I'd say it's fun though the flag waving shit sticks in the throat a bit wink