• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Star Trek Into Darkness

Incoherent ramblings: Think I liked it but need another viewing to be sure, I loved the 2009 film and this didn't get me going the same way. Avoid these spoilers till you see it but [spoiler]I'm not convinced about using the iconic villain they did and the beat for beat recreation/reversal of a classic scene. I watched the original last night and the new film certainly suffers in comparison. I was hoping this trek would go its own way because as much as I enjoy the new cast they don't hold a candle to Nimoy/Shatner when put under such direct comparisons. I did love the brief viewscreen cameo though[/spoiler]. Maybe I'll love it when I see it again as the 2009 film is one I've re-watched endlessly. The score didn't really stick out in context other than the themes from the first film and some nice piano stuff, again I think I need another viewing.
  2. Watching Titus at the moment. An exhausting performance from Anthony Hopkins and Alan Cumming's is great to watch.

Goldenthal's epic score adds immensely to the director's vision.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    One of my favourite Goldenthal scores for a strange, but spellbinding vision of Shakespeare's play.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Couldn't agree more, although it was seeing it in HD 3D that really made the experience a tremendous one -- probably the greatest I've had since AVATAR.

Hobbit was awesome. But as far as great 3d experiences, have you seen LIFE OF PIE 3d?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Couldn't agree more, although it was seeing it in HD 3D that really made the experience a tremendous one -- probably the greatest I've had since AVATAR.

Hobbit was awesome. But as far as great 3d experiences, have you seen LIFE OF PIE 3d?

I have, and that is pretty damn awesome too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited
    DARK CITY (Alex Proyas, 1998) ****

The director's cut received a spectacular restoration with new color grading and some effects improvements, making it look like it was released yesterday while never betraying the film.

Shifting some scenes around and deleting the oft criticized opening narration, this DC leaves the viewer in the dark (no pun intended) a while longer before revealing the business of the tuners and their function in the plot. Without the forced studio-induced exposition the film flows a little better, even though Proyas' film never excelled in its storytelling but rather in its spectacular vision and art direction, which shines in this new cut like never before.

Spellbinding in its glorious bizarreness, added greatly by Trevor Jones' brilliant score. Jones' best work? I don't know, but certainly my favorite of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's a superb film (and fine score), Bob -- one that divides critics, but I dig it.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. BobdH wrote

The director's cut received a spectacular restoration with new color grading and some effects improvements, making it look like it was released yesterday while never betraying the film.

Shifting some scenes around and deleting the oft criticized opening narration, this DC leaves the viewer in the dark (no pun intended) a while longer before revealing the business of the tuners and their function in the plot. Without the forced studio-induced exposition the film flows a little better, even though Proyas' film never excelled in its storytelling but rather in its spectacular vision and art direction, which shines in this new cut like never before.

Spellbinding in its glorious bizarreness, added greatly by Trevor Jones' brilliant score. Jones' best work? I don't know, but certainly my favorite of his.

I have to show this one to Bregt someday, if he hasn't seen this one already smile
    that one and I, Robot and Knowing too, big movies from the one and same director
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BobdH wrote

I have to show this one to Bregt someday, if he hasn't seen this one already smile
    that one and I, Robot and Knowing too, big movies from the one and same director

DARK CITY is great, I ROBOT is OK, but KNOWING is one of the worst films I've seen in recent years.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I disagree, perhaps it was due to the absolutely hideous trailer that we didn't expect anything, but the sound quality, the score and the build up thoroughly surprised us
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it was quite enjoyable. I loved I, ROBOT and DARK CITY too. What is he up to now?
  5. I had to look it up, and even though it doesn't say anything, I'm already sold after reading the premise smile
  6. Just saw Cloud Atlas.

This. Film. Is. Amazing!

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    This. Film. Is. Amazing. In. Its. Capacity. For. Pretentiousness!

I fully agree! moon
  8. You must have seen another film than me then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013
    I salute its ambitions, and there are some good moments, but it ultimately fell flat for me. Not bad, not good, somewhere in between.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved it too. I think people's negativity isn't thoroughly justified.
  9. Luv dark city.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I had to look it up, and even though it doesn't say anything, I'm already sold after reading the premise smile

Yep, the premise sounds really interesting and fun.

The reason why Proyas hasn't been doing anything lately (that came to fruition) is because he was long developing a large scale adaptation of Milton's Paradise Lost, a project that went from a huge budget to a mediocre budget to being put on hold, even after he had already cast several characters (with Bradley Cooper as Lucifer) and was pretty far in pre-production. A shame if you ask me, because I was looking forward to it and hoping it would return to his DARK CITY sensibilities. You can find some of the concept art here, although studio Legendary Pictures has demanded most of it to be taken offline after the project was cancelled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    This. Film. Is. Amazing. In. Its. Capacity. For. Pretentiousness!

I fully agree! moon

Seconded. Prententious waddle. See Crash for a film that really knows how to have multiple stories and keep it interesting.
  10. I dare say what really ails you are the metaphysical implications, or am I wrong?

wink Volker
  11. Makes me wonder what would C. G. Jung have to say about that wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Makes me wonder what would C. G. Jung have to say about that wink

THIS!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. BobdH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I had to look it up, and even though it doesn't say anything, I'm already sold after reading the premise smile

Yep, the premise sounds really interesting and fun.

The reason why Proyas hasn't been doing anything lately (that came to fruition) is because he was long developing a large scale adaptation of Milton's Paradise Lost, a project that went from a huge budget to a mediocre budget to being put on hold, even after he had already cast several characters (with Bradley Cooper as Lucifer) and was pretty far in pre-production. A shame if you ask me, because I was looking forward to it and hoping it would return to his DARK CITY sensibilities. You can find some of the concept art here, although studio Legendary Pictures has demanded most of it to be taken offline after the project was cancelled.

ah yes, I read about that.
    Let's hope he can make both
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek: Into Darkness

I enjoyed it! Very bold though, doing what they did, and I'm not sure that aspect of it came off that well. I won't repeat John's spoiler section above, but I agree with every word he put in it. I wonder about the wisdom of trying to get you to care about characters based on what the previous actors who played those characters did with them, rather than what's been done by these actors... it didn't really feel earned for me, the big finale, based on the characters as they appear in these two Abrams films - but interestingly, a couple of the people I saw it with had not actually seen the Shatner/Nimoy films and still liked it, so maybe I'm wrong. [spoiler]How the hell did Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer not get any screenplay credit? If I were they... I'd be seeking some reparations![/spoiler]

Giacchino's score... well. There was a score? Maybe that's a bit unfair but given how musically distinguished the series has been, it's fair to say it doesn't stack up. And the most famous of famous scenes from the original movies, which is repeated here, suffers incredibly because Giacchino's music for it is a very, very, very long way short of what the previous composer wrote for it. I can see that people on certain messageboards are already going mad that the album's only 45 minutes long, but if there was 45 minutes of memorable music in the film (other than the reprises of the theme from the previous score) I'd be amazed. There's one exquisite cue earlier on when the Cumberbatch character is introduced - I certainly hope that's on the album. But that's basically the only time I noticed the music at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013
    Oh, I forgot my biggest complaint. Major spoiler. [spoiler]The huge emotional impact of the end of Star Trek II is of course rather spoiled by the fact that Star Trek III spends its time reversing it. But the emotional impact of the same thing happening - albeit to a different character - at the end of Into Darkness is immediately cancelled by the deus ex machina that reverses it within five minutes, so even if I did care for Chris Pine's Kirk as much as I cared for Leonard Nimoy's Spock, it still wouldn't have much impact. I guess that's the problem of geeky screenwriters appealing to their inner geeks rather than trying to write a good screenplay that can stand on its own.[/spoiler]
  13. I think the problem there starts with the idea --- 'how can we take <PRE-EXISTING BELOVED PROPERTY ICONIC MOMENT X> and put a fresh spin on it?' --- than trying to find a new moment that stands on its own. Abrams has always been better at moment-by-moment engagement than building up a long arc emotional experience (I haven't seen Super 8 of course, I'm just going on the others).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  14. Saw the pilot to the TV series "The Equilizer". I'd never seen it before. It was okay.

The writing and acting on some of the people, was weak. The acting of his son, just bad.

And Stewart Copeland's score is terrible. Cheap, distracting (in a bad way), does nothing to enhance on screen happenings. If they wanted a REAL Jan Hammer type score, they should have hired Jan Friggin Hammer. Justin Bieber could have made a better score. Seriously -- this is some of the worst scoring I've ever heard. I'm all in favor of having it rescored, even decades later.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    I want escapism, so off to the cinema later today.....Ironman 3 or Star Trek? Mmmmmmmm??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. Iron MAn 3 is HILARIOUS.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website