• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    Guess the poster with Ross' name was either incorrect/fake; or one of those rare instances where a score is replaced, a new score done, then the original score is reinstated.

The poster was from February, so it was basically out of date by the time it was presented on FSM.

And also, I am not sure why would Ross appear on that poster, it's quite clear that the director is loyal to Brian Tyler and the reason why Vidal scored this one was that the film was made (partly at least) in Spain and that had its demands regarding the post-production too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    And also, I am not sure why would Ross appear on that poster, it's quite clear that the director is loyal to Brian Tyler and the reason why Vidal scored this one was that the film was made (partly at least) in Spain and that had its demands regarding the post-production too.

That, and Tyler was busy with Iron Man 3, I think.
  3. He was actually working on both at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013 edited
    Yeah! It's sci fi and horror weekend at the Thor house!

Tonight, I've seen these:

THE DAY

This was a low budget post-apocalyptic thriller/slasher from 2011 directed by Canadian Douglas Aarnioskoski that nonetheless managed to get some attention through the Toronto Film Festival that year. I doubt anyone but genre buffs have seen it here, though.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. Especially the first 20 minutes, which really sets the tone and the relationship between the band of survivors that take shelter in a house against savage cannibal tribes. After that, villains become a bit more stereotypical and it falls into more standard slasher fare. The cinematography is so colour-muted, it's almost monochrome -- it's clearly inspired by films like THE ROAD in that department. Very stylish and well done.

Performance-wise, it's not all that, even though it stars relavtively famous actors like Dominic Monaghan and Shawn Ashmore. The film is really carried by the outlaw/tough woman (is there a term for those?) played by Ashley Bell.

Rock Mafia is a relatively famous songwriting duo who have written for and produced many stars. However, I wasn't aware that they had done any film scores. It's a pretty decent score, following in the tradition of Cave and Ellis for THE ROAD -- a rock basis with some eerie textures and riffs. I don't think there ever was a soundtrack?

THE APPARITION

Here's another horror film I've looked up just now.

I enjoyed it....some of the GRUDGE-like elements creeped me out well enough. But I'm not sure I like the mix of regular teenage-in-distress and the kind of domestic terror they explored in the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films. It's not a terribly original film by any stretch of the imagination. I'll probably have forgotten it in a couple of weeks.

Much of tomandandy's score relies on sound design and stingers (as they do so well), but there were some really good bits with plenty of listening pleasure too. I love the funky dance electronica that is probably in the track "Palmdale" above. That one alone was worth it.

THE BAY

I just caught up on this eco horror/outbreak film from a couple of years ago. I was surprised to discover it was directed by none other than Barry Levinson!

It's pretty effective in its found footage approach, and it builds up suspense and doom quite well, but I wish there more shots of the parasites -- it would have been cool to see them mutate into real big things. But at least it kept things on a more realistic level this way.

Regardless, I love outbreak movies, gross as they sometimes are.

Zarvos' score isn't so much a score as a pure sound design thing. It looms and dooms in the background, merging with the actual sound effects. As it should do for a found footage film. It's not something I would buy on CD, but it was very effective.

THE DARKEST HOUR

I think the promise and story is damn well excellent, which it usually is from Jon Spaights. The invading "monsters" are cool and innovative and the effects and production design is top notch (how they managed to create a deserted Moscow like that is beyond me). The nerve is very tangible, as you never know who is going to be killed next.

HOWEVER, the big problem is the dialogue and the performances -- which are really embarassing at times. And the odd piece of comedy feels misplaced, but I guess that's a given when Tim Bekmametov is one of the producers.

The score by Tyler Bates is pretty cool too. I love the Vangelis-like elements here and there; and the deep, throbbing pulse of many tracks. Again not something I would necessarily buy on CD, but that works wonders in the film (I feel like I'm repeating myself here).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    Ooooooooh! Excellent! Can I come next time?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. We just saw STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS last night.

What a terrible title. Can we get a colon in there, please? The film was fun. I enjoyed it very much. The story is packed and moves very quickly. I like this new cast, as well. I agree with what everyone else has already said. I don't have much else to add except that [spoiler]although I felt the death of Kirk was like a less enjoyable cover of one of my favorite songs, I did enjoy the "you would have done the same thing" reference. It's kind of fun to play with an alternate reality and see how things might have worked out differently. Of course it didn't hold a candle to the scene in WRATH OF KHAN, and it cheapens it to bring him right back, but that's already been said.[/spoiler]

I didn't notice that space was silent anymore. In STAR TREK space was actually silent (one of the few times that had been done - Whedon's FIREFLY stuff being the first that I can recall), but I never noticed that in this film. Perhaps I just missed that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BEN-HUR

I've seen it sooooooo many times but it's just such a damn fine film and the music....THE MUSIC!!!!

The chariot race is still and will forever be one of the greatest sequences in film history.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    BEN-HUR

I've seen it sooooooo many times but it's just such a damn fine film and the music....THE MUSIC!!!!

The chariot race is still and will forever be one of the greatest sequences in film history.

I have it on DVD, and like you seen it many times. My favourite "epic film", maybe after LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. The music is wonderful, but my favourite bits are the religoso stuff, like the "Star of Bethlehem" in the opening and all that. Less enthused about the action stuff, and the rowing music gets on my nerves after a couple of minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the rowing music. Sometimes it comes unbidden to my mind as I've done strenuous hiking, it's always that or Barry's Zulu.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Possibly the rowing cues are actually my favourites of the whole score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's OK in the film, of course, but it drives me insane on album. To make matters worse, they've all been put next to each other, creating a 15-20 minute stretch of the same stuff over and over again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Demetris wrote
    How's lucas vidal's score for ff6?

I saw the movie, and I hardly even noticed it. Some of the quieter moments sort of sounded like Tyler, but there's nothing you'd want to hear away from the film.

I see, thanks! The movie? fun?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Guess the poster with Ross' name was either incorrect/fake; or one of those rare instances where a score is replaced, a new score done, then the original score is reinstated.

The poster was from February, so it was basically out of date by the time it was presented on FSM.

And that Vidal is essentially a Tyler clone so far;
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DAVID BOWIE - FIVE YEARS

Documentary on BBC 2 right now. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Two more films in my sci fi/horror weekend:

VANISHING ON 7TH STREET

My sci fi/horror weekend continues with this little gem of a film from two years ago(?).

The story is VERY Stephen King, with a city (the world?) suddenly taken over by mysterious shadows who make people instantly disappear. I was reminded of stories like THE LANGOLIERS. A small band of survivors (Hayden Christensen, Thandie Newton, John Leguizamo and a kid) band together wherever they can find light, including an old bar.

It's a great chamber piece of a film, with an eerie, tangible nerve throughout. Not gutwrecking scary, but eerie. The strength lies in the (never-revealed) mystery of the event and invaders and the dynamic of the group. I really enjoyed it -- by far the best film of the sci fi/horror weekend!

Vidal's score does what it's supposed to -- lurk in the background among the shadows. Dissonance, twisted string harmonies and the occasional stinger.

BRANDED

Now THIS is a weird film!

It's clearly intended as a satire on brand marketing, fast food (especially McDonald's), reality shows, Russian society and what-not. But the tone is so weird, I don't really know what to make of it.

A Russian 'genius marketer' sees brands manifest themselves as weird creatures attached to people after having gone through a ritual that involves sacrificing a red cow in a weird tree construction! I kid you not. This was intended as another entry in my sci fi/horror weekend, but it's really another thing altogether. Some form of acid trip satire on consumerist society. I didn't connect with it -- or its project -- at all. Sorry. Even if it starred Max von Sydow in a small role.

The music, however, was really good. At times huge and epic with tons of choir (especially for the "monster" sequences), at other times intimate and lean -- even experimental at times. Artemiev has always fascinated me -- from back when he worked with Tarkovsky to his forrays into American films.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Fast and Furious 6

They try so hard to recreate the magic of the 5th, and they come close. But Fast 6 just doesn't equal it. Still, what an intense movie. The action scenes are superb, the intensity of the fight scenes is amazing and that Haywire chick can surely fight. But the over the top end of trailer 3 ([spoiler]flying Letty[/spoiler]) is simply ridiculous and as said, they can't recreate what made Fast 5 still the best of the franchise. That family bond just isn't there.

Nonetheless what a thrill ride, and the teaser to 7 is amazing. But this one is placed 3rd in the list of Fast and Furious movies nonetheless.

Oh, and Vidal's score is a joke. It was so evident he had to mimic Brian Tyler from start to finish. Why hire a new composer if you want him to copy someone else's sound? vomit

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013
    Never seen any of those films, as I have very little interest in cars. Is there anything more to them?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I saw only two parts and I don't think so.
  8. Thor wrote
    Never seen any of those films, as I have very little interest in cars. Is there anything more to them?

Same here.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the sound of VANISHING ON 7th STREET, I will check that one out.
  9. Thor wrote

well, it started out really small. The Fast and the Furious is actually a nice little action film (back then Vin Diesel was not known the way he's known now) and they sort of continue on his charisma alone. Now however they added humor and a lot more action (each time more unbelievable than the previous one)

The cool part of these movies is the fact the actors continue to return to reprise their role as street racer, and each time a new actor is put in the mix. It's like watching series but with each new season there's a new face who keeps returning after that. Lately the street races (the whole reason of the films) has changed to action chases (a heist, a getaway)

truthfully, Vin Diesel makes each movie better (the reason number 2 and 3 are so average without him). And in 5 Diesel and Johnson (The Rock) bring a testosterone level to the series that is quite frankly explosive

The thing that sells the movie though is the bond between the actors, the family feel that's addressed in the films. If you like that, you'll love the films
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Currently on arte (German/French PBS): STAR TREK The Motion Picture

God, this truely is one of the most intelligent and beautiful Science Fictions films ever. Am I the only one how has troubles contolling his emotions when they show off the new ship and Goldsmith's "The Enterprise" is playing? Man, what a scene!

The only thing that bugs me: For the first time that ship design strikes me as being dated. Maybe that is because I am so deeply in love with the 2009 redesign. (Probably the only one here.)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Currently on arte (German/French PBS): STAR TREK The Motion Picture
    this truely is one of the most intelligent and beautiful Science Fictions films ever.
    Am I the only one how has troubles contolling his emotions when they show off the new ship and Goldsmith's "The Enterprise" is playing?
    For the first time that ship design strikes me as being dated.

I think you yourself said it best:

(Probably the only one here.)

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Not the only one. I think The Motion Picture is severely underrated.
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    Not the only one. I think The Motion Picture is severely underrated.

True, my friend! TMP is pure Roddenberry. Only in a few TNG episodes ST has been that philosophical.

I hope JJ Abrams (and Michael Giachcino) will be able to do a third film. I also hope, that they re-introduce some of the awe and wonder in that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited
    My sci fi/horror weekend is finally capped up with this delightful surprise from 2011, which was by far the most artistically ambitious of the bunch. Shades of SOLARIS, 2001, A.I., CONTACT and others.

LOVE

While the film juxtaposes different elements (including the American civil war and various interviews with people), the core story is a man stranded at the ISS in 2039 just as some apocalypse takes place on earth -- leaving him the last survivor of mankind.

Although it depicts the astronaut's descent into solitary madness, it's a very philosophical film that highlights the human need for love and relationships (hence the title) -- whether through voice-over, flashes (Malick-style) and the various other elements. The ending is VERY 2001. And the photography is stunning!

Despite the influences, I really loved this film.

The score was really strong too. Angels & Airwaves is an indie band whose sound -- at least here -- mixes elements of post-rock, electronica and psychedelia art rock (according to themselves, they are influenced by Radiohead and Pink Floyd). At times, it's amazingly beautiful. In fact, the band also produced the movie.

I heartily recommend this -- both film and score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013
    Really?
    Hated it!

I thought it was one of those exceedingly annoying 'we're just going to present you with a bunch of heavy imagery to potentially mean anything to anyone' films, and poorly acted to boot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Really?
    Hated it!

I thought it was one of those exceedingly annoying 'we're just going to present you with a bunch of heavy imagery to potentially mean anything to anyone' films, and poorly acted to boot.

Wow, really? So you're no fan of SOLARIS, STALKER, 2001 and similar philosophical sci fi fare? Or Terrence Malick, for that matter?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not the only one. I think The Motion Picture is severely underrated.

True, my friend! TMP is pure Roddenberry.

That's pretty much why Roddenberry was relegated to 'consultant' for the rest of the series. By the time TMP came around he had, by all accounts (and I've read the biographies of most of the cast) he completely forgot about story, people and the thing that really made the series so memorable: the outstanding interaction between the main cast characters, and concentrated on Making Great Galactic And Epic Points.

And it simply didn't work as Star Trek (as critics, fans and box office receipts show alike).
    And I can't disagree.
    TMP tries for 2001 in a Star Trek mold, and ultimately fails to be either.

I guess out of context the film may have merits, but set in its proper Universe (i.e. the three seasons of the original series), it failed its mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Really?
    Hated it!

Wow, really? So you're no fan of SOLARIS, STALKER, 2001 and similar philosophical sci fi fare? Or Terrence Malick, for that matter?

I'll be happy to extoll my views on 2001 once again, but I fear the wrath of Franz Conrad.
    biggrin