• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    The Little Shop Horrors (Director's Cut)

I finally got to watch this.
    It's too ridiculous to dislike! cheesy I like it. And Menken/Ashman is perfect!

(I ordered Broadway Revival Cast album a month ago, but I haven't received yet slant )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. "The Challenge" (1970)

No, not the Goldsmith scored movie.

Okay, so you have a military officer on some kind of mission on an island, and a Japanese officer after him for some reason, on that island, and it's not WWII.

They play a game of cat & mouse over the island, with both trying to kill each other to stay alive.

Sounds like it might be exciting, right? Wrong. It's boooring.

Take two leads who are kind of bland and don't offer much, ad unremarkable dialogue, then throw in nothing to gain you interest or make you sympathetic toward the hero. There's a winning formula.

Oh, do you like flashback scenes? They can be pretty good if done right. Now, imagine flachback scenes throughout the entire movie.
    Oh, and hey -- do you like preparation scenes like in "First Blood" or "Predator"? Okay, now imagine a whole movie full of them. Long, drawn out, boring preparation scenes.

Okay, surely the brass and percussion score by Harry Geller can save it, right? Nope.
    Obviously he was going for experimental and interesting moments, kind of like "Capricorn On" (I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of that), but it utterly fails. The TV movie is kind of wall-to-wall scoring which gets on your nerseves. Constant playing around, ideas that never go anywhere, no theme I can discern, and it never goes anywhere.

Verdict: SKIP THIS MOVIE.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. "The Alpha Caper" (1973 TV movie)

Remember the dramas you could get back in the 1970's? Well, this is one of them.

A parole officer [Henry Fonda] is forced into retirement early. While in his last days of duty there is a shootout at an arms dump. The guy, on parole, is dying from being shot during the standoff. He tells Fonda's character about the caper he and his men were going to do. Fonda's character, Mark finds the men at the guy's funeral and starts talking to them, and finds himself involved in a ballsy caper even by today's standards.

Five armored trucks. Gold bars, police cars around it everywhere, police motorcycles running around. Helicopters flying overhead, officers with rifles walking around. Surely it can't be done, can it?

The movie is well done and the acting always good, sometimes very strong. Of the three men MArk aligns himself with, one is played by Leonard Nimoy, simply named "Mitch"., and Mitch never hints at being Spock; Nemoy had range.

The score is by Oliver Nelson. It's got what you'd want in a 1970's score, so if you enjoy the hell out of scores from that era, here you go. It's got some standard moments though, so if it got released on CD, it would need to be paired with something (Especially since it's not a long score).

It's an ABC movie of the week, so it's probably not been released (I didn't check), so here you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8RQGFexf0

Verdict: Worth your time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Elysium - Neil Blomkamp

I'd just like to ask one question: Why does anybody still do shaky-cam? I have never, never, heard anyone speak highly of shaky-cam. I've never read a review or heard anybody say a good thing about it. Who actually likes it? And why do people keep doing it?? crazy

That aside, the movie was okay. Nothing special, though, and it felt like a waste of an intriguing premise. I'd have liked to spend a bit more time on Elysium itself, meet some of its citizens and see their opinion of the imbalanced society. The only two Elysians (?) we really meet are so one-dimensionally evil that it completely removes any depth or potential for grey-and-grey morality issues. And what was with that bearded thug's accent? Was that meant to be Australian? If it was, it's one of the worst Australian accents I've ever heard. South African, maybe?

Ryan Amon's score which irritated me no end on album fares a bit better in the film, but is still no great shakes. If you're going to be that derivative, at least do me the decency of being a guilty pleasure like Oblivion was, okay?

Watched Looper when we got back home. Now that is how you make an intriguing, cool sci-fi movie. A quarter the budget and I can actually see what's going on! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013
    Shaky-cam should be put in the bin along with end-of-movie freeze frames from the 80's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. "I really liked the shaky-cam in that movie." SAID NO ONE EVER.
  5. You know what would be great? An entire film in shaky cam, even the opening credits and end credits, with lens flares everywhere, quick zoom-in's & zoom-out's, a trip-hop synth score, and ... FUCK IT. No one's buying that watermelon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    "I really liked the shaky-cam in that movie." SAID NO ONE EVER.

It worked brilliantly in Saving Private Ryan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Wanted to say the same.

I would say that Ridley Scott is very good with hand-held as well (most obviously Black Hawk Down, but not just there). If a director is a *visual* director rather than going with the Zeitgeist, it's going to be great. Hell, yesterday I found out that a lot of The Thin Red Line was done hand-held and the reason behind it was *exactly the same* as in Ryan!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited
    I'm completely with Edmund:

- Handheld in documentary: fine.
    - Handheld in feature film: vomit
    - Handheld as "style element": tacky and gimmicky ever since roughly 15 years now.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Elysium - Neil Blomkamp
    And what was with that bearded thug's accent? Was that meant to be Australian? If it was, it's one of the worst Australian accents I've ever heard. South African, maybe?

Yep, it's South-African. In fact, the bloke actually is a Southafrican. smile
    He played in the director's earlier District 9 as well (he was the protagonist: the Johannesburg civil servant Wikus van de Merwe).

For the rest, here too I heartily agree with you.

RV: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (2008)
    Even though it's billed as an action/adventure film, it's actually a major-budget though inoffensive kiddie flick. Taking a few not-so-subtle leaves out of the Indiana Jones diaries, it's a not unlikable assault on the senses.
    It's not very good, either.
    Andrew Lockington's score is heroic-by-the-numbers and certainly loud enough.

But a Giganotosaurus doesn't look anything like a Tyrannosaur². angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

It worked brilliantly in Saving Private Ryan!

-Erik-

Indeed it did, it was astounding and hard hitting and at the time still fresh. But since then, on the whole it's a distracting annoyance, it was even used in Man of Steel for cripes sake. ( an appalling film anyway )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

But a Giganotosaurus doesn't look anything like a Tyrannosaur². angry

Not seen it. Sounds bad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not bad, if you're 13.
    It's a bit like Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, but more child-friendly. And rather less excellent or memorable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
  7. Just now airing on German TV:

The Mission 1986 - Roland Joffé

What a story!
    What a cast!
    What photography!

and

What . A . SCORE !!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I must be the only one in the world remaining steadfastily lukewarm towards each aspect of that film.
    Except the photography which is indeed stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

except that I add the score, totally stunning, an amazing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love everything about that film too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I recently got the Blu Ray and am looking forward to seeing it. On previous viewings I think I sat marvelling at the beauty of it and the exceptional music, but still not particularly liking the film.
  8. Martijn wrote
    I must be the only one in the world remaining steadfastily lukewarm towards each aspect of that film.
    Except the photography which is indeed stunning.

Nope. I'm also very lukewarm towards this film - but on every level.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. "Penn & Teller Get Killed" (1989)

The film indeed lives up to the name.

Penn and Teller play themsleves in a film where on stage during an act Penn makes an offhand comment he wishes somebody would try to kill him. So, the film takes off from there.

I'm not sure how to describe this film. It's got it's funny moments, like Penn trying to go through the airport metal detector, while Teller keeps quitly putting metal in his pockets, to the point where Penn is shouting at the airport security officer about her "There is something wrong with your FASCIST MACHINE!", and the cruel pranks the two play on each other. Then it's got it's serious moments -- who knew Teller had such acting range; maybe that comes from decades of not speaking on stage and having to convey to people what he was thinking or trying to say, just with looks and gestures. By the way, Teller speaks in the climax.

Penn, on the other hand, isn't so great at acting. You could almost say his acting was "Bullshit!". ;-)

It's like a more serious version of their serious stage acts, with comedy mixed in, translated to a film medium.

You get the nagging feeling sometimes you think you know what's going on and who that is here and there, you you are often right, but they are trying to misdirect you. So, you're first instincts are likely right.

It's not a particularly deep or complex film, it's pretty basic. The ending drags on & on (it was intentional, but really it should have just ended sooner).

The acting was decent for the most part, with Teller being the stand-out, though one character seems to have been shoe-horned in (the female business handler for Penn & Teller).

The score by Paul Chihara is nothing special, often you forget it's even there, though it was plesant during the night time beach scene (perhaps Teller's best acting moment in the film).

VERDICT: It's okay, if you are bored and want to see something not very involving, but with some laughs, this is it.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote

You sound like the guy who thinks he knows what art is and isn't. wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013 edited
    I really liked the shaky-can in The Bourne Ultimatum.

There. I said it. Renders your statement untrue.

Also, it MADE Cloverfield.
  11. Oblivion

OK, this is a film you can pass an evening with but nothing more. It is basically a Tom Cruise ego trip which is always a bad thing. Anyone knows why this man won't articulate like a trained actor? I hate this trademark mumbling of his.
    All supporting characters remain under-developed. The whole initial situation calls for a TV series rather than a feature film.
    Why didn't the alien mother ship destroy the NASA vehicle while still back in space?
    "Matrix" is all over the plot, a bit of "Mad Max" and "Planet of the Apes". And the alien mother ship gets destroyed by a nuclear device. I thought Roland Emmerich had copyrighted this.
    Great visuals, though. The old curse of sci-fi films: great visuals, weak story.

Just my three €-cents.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Battle Los Angeles

A bit late to the party with this one but it only aired on free-to-view TV last night. It's similar to Oblivion in that it had a great look to it but the story was pretty run-of-the-mill. At several points I was about to bail out but the visuals kept me watching.

It passed the time quite well but the gung-ho dialogue and actions were so in-your-face that, at one point, they were laugh-out-loud funny.

And, if I didn't know to the contrary, I would have said that there hadn't been any music for this film at all. Completely forgettable in the film and, when it was there, it seemed to be completely drowned out by all the crash/bang/wallop of the sound effects.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

You sound like the guy who thinks he knows what art is and isn't. wave

BobdH wrote
    I really liked the shaky-can in The Bourne Ultimatum.

There. I said it. Renders your statement untrue.

Also, it MADE Cloverfield.

Whoa, guys. I was just speaking from my own personal preference/experience...I guess the people I've gone to/talked about movies with must just all not be fans. Personally, even though those two examples are among the earlier uses of it, it irks me even there. Like the horn of doom, it's something I just never thought was great in the first place and it annoys me no end that it's caught on to such an extent.
  14. Paul

I am no big fan of either Simon Pegg or Nick Frost but, as the subject matter was of interest I gave this a shot. Quite an entertaining film with a quaint little score from David Arnold. But, aside from a few smiles to nods in the film to other sci-fi films, this was not particularly funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    ^ Loved that film. Kristian Wigg stole the show!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  15. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Loved that film. Kristian Wigg stole the show!

-Erik-

Erik, you're not well. You don't know what you're saying! wink

Get well soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    biggrin