• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    Well, out-of-print scores are not a problem. It's just those scores that aren't available in the US that happen to be in-print in other countries...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I honestly had no idea there were that many Morricone, Delerue and Poledouris scores. The latter two I would have guessed there were about 30 releases in existence. Apparently I am wrong, and there are several decades of collecting ahead of me shocked

Delerue is an incredibly prolific composer, though few people realize that. 347 credits according to imdb, that's almost Morricone-like in the prolific department. punk

Who doesn't realize it? Delerue is simply brilliant and there's no doubt about it, at least i haven't seen anyone arguing against it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    Ok Peter, if I already have (and love) Fateless, Cinema Paradiso and The Mission (and also have, but am lukewarm towards, Gui' La Testa)...what are 5 Morricone scores I should get next? (please no jazz dominated scores smile )

Don't worry, Morricone rarely does jazz. The few times he does it, it's actually pretty decent, even if you don't normally like jazz. That's my experience at least.

From the sound of your collection it sounds like you suffer from a disturbing deficit of pasta. You must immediately acquire "A fistful of dollars", "For a few dollars more" and "The good, the bad and the ugly". They actually all come on a single CD (RCA). Trust me, just start with this one. It's a crime not to have it, and you're not allowed to call yourself a film music fan before you do.

After that get "The untouchables" and "The legend of 1900".

It seriously hurts me to only mention these, because there are so many masterpieces out there, but no one wants to see a long laundry list, and you probably would have no idea what to get if I mentioned my countless favourites. So start with the pasta, and when you can afford it, then try the two others.

When you have absorbed them, and acknowledged the genius of Morricone, I've plenty of more goodies to recommend. wink

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it's just that like many of his contempories like Morricone, Sarde, Legrand, Kilar and other European composers Delerue hasn't done a lot of mainstream ( i.e. Hollywood ) films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who doesn't realize it? Delerue is simply brilliant and there's no doubt about it, at least i haven't seen anyone arguing against it!

I wasn't talking about his brilliance but about how prolific he was (i.e. number of scores).

The first time I saw that number (347 scores) I was knocked on the floor. Delerue must have been one of the hardest working composers in history.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fun Thread.

Reminds me of penis size bragging or jokes between mates. Or e-penis comparisons. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    1. John Williams: 160 ++

160 Williams CDs.
    Whoah!

Thor is a Williams completist. I was figuring it would be between Thor and Erik to see who's got the biggest...

Hence my baiting comment D biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    This, however, is one that really intrigues me:
    plindboe wrote
    4) Basil Poledouris (61)

However I count, I only get to 44 releases all in all...which means you have 17 doubles or bootlegs/promos.

Now I *thought* I was pretty up to speed with all Poledouris releases, including all boots, hard-to-get and out-of-prints ones, but I don't get to a full additional 17 when I count my sources. So I'm really curious to hear what albums you have that I -horribile dictu- somehow must have missed! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    I'm not sure that's true. I have many Delerues, and I almost never encounter anything too jazzy. Throughout my Delerue collection, there's the lyrical stuff and gorgeous melody stuff. He also seemed to score several medieval sounding scores, which he had a great talent for as well.

Peter smile

As I said, I'm not an expert, but I've heard a bit of his earlier stuff (for the French New Wave etc.) and it was either quite jazzy or quite dissonant. A bit like Maurice Jarre's work for theatre, which was very much unlike his later epic scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    1) Ennio Morricone (~400)
    2) Georges Delerue (83)

Whoah! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote
    From the sound of your collection it sounds like you suffer from a disturbing deficit of pasta. You must immediately acquire "A fistful of dollars", "For a few dollars more" and "The good, the bad and the ugly". They actually all come on a single CD (RCA). Trust me, just start with this one. It's a crime not to have it, and you're not allowed to call yourself a film music fan before you do.

I can't seem to find the CD you are referring to on Amazon. I see dozens of different versions and rerecordings of the scores but I feel as lost as I did the first time I tried to find the a specific Star Wars rerecording Erik recommended. Any way you can help...perhaps you can give me the exact name of the CD?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a fantastic score, even if it wasn't it would be worth getting for the track The Ecstasy of Gold alone which is better than some composers entire catalogue of works...FACT! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote

I can't seem to find the CD you are referring to on Amazon. I see dozens of different versions and rerecordings of the scores but I feel as lost as I did the first time I tried to find the a specific Star Wars rerecording Erik recommended. Any way you can help...perhaps you can give me the exact name of the CD?

Perhaps it's this one- http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=30703
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    However I count, I only get to 44 releases all in all...which means you have 17 doubles or bootlegs/promos.

Now I *thought* I was pretty up to speed with all Poledouris releases, including all boots, hard-to-get and out-of-prints ones, but I don't get to a full additional 17 when I count my sources. So I'm really curious to hear what albums you have that I -horribile dictu- somehow must have missed! shocked

Ouch! I think I've realized the problem. I'm counting scores, not albums! Some of my numbers should probably be less if we're counting albums. Same thing with many of my Morricone scores, most of my CAM CDs have 2 or 3 scores per album.

I think it makes more sense to count scores though. My "Western quintet" album consist of 5 scores. I don't see how that could be a single count.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    As I said, I'm not an expert, but I've heard a bit of his earlier stuff (for the French New Wave etc.) and it was either quite jazzy or quite dissonant.

I think you've heard the exception rather than the rule.

Of course with only 80 out of 350 scores, I could easily be mistaken.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a fantastic score, even if it wasn't it would be worth getting for the track The Ecstasy of Gold alone which is better than some composers entire catalogue of works...FACT! biggrin

Indeed. And "The trio" is just as amazing. And the main title is legendary. Plus "The story of a soldier. And there are several other great tracks as well.

When I become world dictator I will make it illegal not to own this album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote

The one BhelPuri linked to (thanks BP): RCA ND 74021

If you feel like spending a bit more money though, I instead recommend that you buy these 2 CDs:

1) "The legendary italian westerns" (which contains both "A fistful of dollars" and "For a few dolllars more" and a bunch of other great stuff)
    2) The 21 track version of "The good, the bad and the ugly".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Ouch! I think I've realized the problem. I'm counting scores, not albums! Some of my numbers should probably be less if we're counting albums. Same thing with many of my Morricone scores, most of my CAM CDs have 2 or 3 scores per album.

Ah....I was only counting actual "physical" CD's myself. Of course, if you count scores, the number would be higher for me. But then you encounter other problems - how to categorize a TV episode score, for example? How about a single track from a whole score (if that's the only thing that is available)? Does a non-film music work count? etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. My collection is very small compared to most of yours. I’ll only include the composers for which I have more than 5 scores. As further exhibit of my nerdness, I’ll include the average star ranking (out of 5) that I have for them (I have this spreadsheet that I use to keep track of this kind of thing…)

Horner: 17 (avg. score rank: 3.98)
    Williams: 12 (3.88)
    Delerue: 11 (3.90)
    T. Newman: 11 (3.55)
    Goldsmith: 10 (3.75)
    McKenzie: 8 (4.18)
    Zimmer: 8 (3.60)
    JNH: 7 (3.82)
    Doyle: 6 (4.01)
    Morricone: 6 (3.60)
    Poledouris:5 (3.66)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    What software are you guys using to tally all this up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote

I used my fingers, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Microsoft Excel. I have to enter each album individually, but I've got it set up to compare every score I own against one another, favorite scores by composer, composers ranked by avg. score, favorite score by year, etc.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That's way too much effort for me to even think about attempting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    I don't know how to organize my collection to get a number of albums per composer so I'll just take a crack at what I THINK my top composers looks like...

Jerry Goldsmith - 226
    John Williams - 180 (there are some compilations in there)
    James Horner - 127
    Alan Silvestri - 91
    Elmer Bernstein - 85
    James Newton Howard - 80
    Miklos Rozsa - 75
    John Barry - 73
    Danny Elfman - 71
    John Debney - 66
    Bernard Herrmann - 65
    Basil Poledouris - 63
    Christopher Young - 60
    Michael Giacchino - 58 tongue
    Hans Zimmer - 50

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. And here's mine (though this list may be slightly different from others - these are number of titles rather than CDs. So Jerry Goldsmith's Fox Box would count as more than 1...)

01 - Jerry Goldsmith - 150 (4.6% of collection)
    02 - Bernard Herrmann - 110 (3.4% of collection)
    03 - John Williams - 71 (2.2% of collection)
    04 - Christopher Young - 57 (1.7% of collection)
    05 = Marco Beltrami - 53 (1.6% of collection)
    05 = Ennio Morricone - 53 (1.6% of collection)
    06 - Howard Shore - 49 (1.5% of collection)
    07 - Elmer Bernstein - 45 (1.4% of collection)
    08 - John Barry - 42 (1.3% of collection)
    09 - James Horner - 41 (1.3% of collection)
    10 - Miklós Rózsa - 40 (1.2% of collection)
    11 - Hans Zimmer - 38 (1.2% of collection)
    12 - Various Artists - 36 (1.1% of collection)
    13 - Danny Elfman - 35 (1.1% of collection)
    14 - Trevor Jones - 32 (1.0% of collection)
    15 - Max Steiner - 31 (1.0% of collection)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Scores by talented composers who knew what they were doing = NEVER TOO MANY!
    Scores by hacks, or by people who clearly lacked inspiration = ONE IS TOO MANY!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher... beer to your large proportion of McKenzie scores. I love that dude.

Erik... stop lying.There are not 58 Giacchino scores in the world. Just kidding. I think. smile

Peter, I will check out those Morricone and let you know what happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

I used my fingers, actually.

Arrange files by size.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    christopher... beer to your large proportion of McKenzie scores. I love that dude.

Indeed, the man's music is simply brilliant; such an overlooked talent.