• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    A very good cross selection of composers there Lars, I always say quality over quantity. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    Yeah, I usually try to buy only music that I like. But in the case of Williams, Goldsmith, Elfman I must admit, that I've bought stuff that I didn't necessarily like, just for the sake of expanding the collection. smile
  1. Artworks wrote
    Yeah, I usually try to buy only music that I like. But in the case of Williams, Goldsmith, Elfman I must admit, that I've bought stuff that I didn't necessarily like, just for the sake of expanding the collection. smile

When I was younger, I was also getting every score available (or even not), just to have heard and have everything of its composer.

Lately, that's not possible anymore (due to the enormous wealth of material that gets released nowadays), and the fact most of it is mediocre crap

So, better to get what you really want, than to have everything just to have ... everything
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I'll play! I just looked at composers where I had more than 50 per composer:

Jerry Goldsmith - 213
    James Horner - 131
    Ennio Morricone - 128
    John Williams - 112
    John Barry - 101
    Alan Silvestri - 91
    Hans Zimmer - 91
    Christopher Young - 88
    Elmer Bernstein - 85
    James Newton Howard - 81
    Georges Delerue - 79
    Miklos Rozsa - 74
    Danny Elfman - 72
    Mark Isham - 71
    David Newman - 64
    John Debney - 57
    Basil Poledouris - 56
    Bernard Herrmann - 55
    Howard Shore - 55
    Max Steiner - 52
    Franz Waxman - 52
    Michael Kamen - 50
    Thomas Newman - 50
  3. You have some collection there, Jon. I'm surprised that you have more by David Newman than by Thomas Newman. I can't imagine having 50 scores by one composer, much less all the guys you just listed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    So, better to get what you really want, than to have everything just to have ... everything

Hear hear!
    I've fallen into that trap myself some 8-9 years ago, but I'm pacing myself now, which is far more enjoyable in long run!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Same here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    I used to maintain an Excel sheet when my collection was at 600 or so. I haven't updated it in the last couple of years and I think my collection has more than doubled. I'd reckon that I might have about 90 Morricone, 30 John Scott, 25 Delerue, 25 Donaggio. And beyond that I probably have a uniform distribution of Kilar, Talgorn, Frisina, Desplat, Armand Amar. Of course, there's a considerable spread with numerous obscure scores.

Just got a friend to help me with the Excel stuff so here it is for the old file-

Morricone, Ennio 94
    Scott, John 33
    Delerue, Georges 24
    Rahman, AR 22
    Donaggio, Pino 19
    Barry, John 17
    Goldsmith, Jerry 13
    Kilar, Wojciech 13
    North, Alex 13
    Frisina, Marco 12
    Wiseman, Debbie 9
    Bernstein, Elmer 8
    Broughton, Bruce 8
    Kaczmarek, Jan A.P 8
    Yared, Gabriel 8
    Waxman, Franz 7
    Guerra, Andrea 7
    Piersanti, Franco 7
    Rozsa, Miklos 6
    Conti, Bill 5
    Crivelli, Carlo 5
    Young, Christopher 5

The crazy stat is that about 150 (=25%) of them are by composers of whom I have only 1 cd each. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    Less than 5 Williams, Bhelpuri? shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    ...that's 5 more than you have John Barry tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    ...that's 5 more than you have John Barry tongue

Insert Ricki Lake "Oooooooooooh" here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thor wrote
    Less than 5 Williams, Bhelpuri? shocked

Maybe a little more than that since the list is 2 years old. It's just that I've heard a lot of Williams on SST and his scores will always be available so I can get them later. It's more exciting to find new scores by lesser known composers than safe buys like a JW score.