• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    1. John Williams: 160 ++

160 Williams CDs.
    Whoah!

Thor is a Williams completist. I was figuring it would be between Thor and Erik to see who's got the biggest...

Hence my baiting comment D biggrin

Peter was right, Erik's is biggest! biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a fantastic score, even if it wasn't it would be worth getting for the track The Ecstasy of Gold alone which is better than some composers entire catalogue of works...FACT! biggrin

Indeed. And "The trio" is just as amazing. And the main title is legendary. Plus "The story of a soldier. And there are several other great tracks as well.

When I become world dictator I will make it illegal not to own this album.

Peter smile

I've always loved the track The Desert from TGTBATU, nobody and I repeat NOBODY does desert music better than Morricone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Here's my list, not as huge as some of the other members' collections, in fact quite small as I'm not a completist shame :

James Horner: 69
    Jerry Goldsmith: 62
    John Williams: 41
    Alan Silvestri: 20
    Hans Zimmer: 19
    James Newton Howard: 16
    Michael Giacchino: 3 (film) + 10 (game)
    David Arnold: 11
    Elliot Goldenthal: 10
    Trevor Jones: 9
    Howard Shore: 7 (film) + 1 (game)
    John Barry: 7
    Harry Gregson-Williams: 5 (film) + 2 (game)
    Christopher Young: 7
    Mark Mancina: 6
    Basil Poledouris: 6
    Patrick Doyle: 5
    Wojciech Kilar: 5
    Bruce Broughton: 4 (film) + 1 (game)
    Elmer Bernstein: 4
    Danny Elfman: 4
    Bear McCreary: 4
    Trevor Rabin: 4
    John Debney: 3 (film) + 1 (game)
    Don Davis: 3
    Ennio Morricone: 3
    Brad Fiedel: 2
    Nick Glennie-Smith: 2
    Joe Hisaishi: 2
    Kenji Kawai: 2
    Joel McNeely: 2
    John Powell: 2
    Miklos Rozsa: 2
    Ken Thorne: 2
    Vangelis: 2
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    I think everyone here has more Hans Zimmer scores than I do!? biggrin cool shame <--pride
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Congratulations Timmer. Your life expectancy is approximately 3.72 years longer than the rest of us. cool cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

That may very well be, but I'm kinda curious how he counts. His Elfman, for example, which is close to my own, and I have practically everything he has done - including hyperrare bootleg material that few others own (like the MODERN VAMPIRES soundtrack). For curiousity's sake, it would be interesting to see your Williams (and Elfman, for that matter) items, Erik, if you have the lists easily available. You could PM it to me, perhaps? If not, no worries.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also suggest that someone (Scribe?) puts down a list of criteria/specifications since it seems like people are posting with different things in mind. Like - are we talking physical CD's? If so, how does multiple-CD sets of the same score count? Are we talking commercially released soundtracks? Bootlegs? Promos? Compilations? Non-film music work? Individual scores...and if so, is owning a single track from an otherwise unreleased score enough? And so on and so on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    1) Ennio Morricone (~400)

Oh! My God. You are the man, Peter! you are true fan of Ennio Morricone. beer kiss
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

That may very well be, but I'm kinda curious how he counts. His Elfman, for example, which is close to my own, and I have practically everything he has done - including hyperrare bootleg material that few others own

I had the exact same question and issue regarding Peter's (and Erik's!) Poledouris scores.
    I am really, really curious to see what issues/scores/bootlegs/whatever I've *missed*. Even when counting -ahum- some less than legitimate issues I own in digital format only, I can't get over 50...

So I'd really love a list of those from either Erik or Peter.
    Please?
    Pretty please?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am talking about albums, however you would like to count albums. If you only own physical CDs, then you could simply count the number of physical jewelcases per composer. If, like me, your collection is entirely digital, your media player probably organizes your CDs by artist and album, and in that case we are counting albums for each artist. There will occasionally be duplicates, as I mentioned with the Star Wars example, but I doubt there will be many situations where there will be more than two albums per score. But yes, we are not counting scores, we are counting albums.

multi-CD set from same release = 1 album
    different recordings of the same score = multiple albums
    multiple releases of the same score (with different content) = multiple albums
    commercial release + bootleg = multiple albums
  2. Scribe wrote
    But yes, we are not counting scores, we are counting albums.

Then you might want to ignore my list. As I mentioned, I've listed scores rather than albums. For example, the Herrmann total includes 40+ 2-3 minute scores for a lot of radio shows as well as 2-3 versions of single scores such as in the cases of Vertigo (re-recordings as well as original recording) and Psycho (McNeely & Unicorn re-recordings as well as original recording).

It's how I catalogue releases in my database.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's how I catalogue releases in my database.

Well, you're doing it wrong. angry

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't think it really matters, ultimately. Personally I am more interested in the proportions than the raw numbers...i.e. which composers you collect the most works from, rather than the raw number of total works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I don't think it really matters, ultimately. Personally I am more interested in the proportions than the raw numbers...i.e. which composers you collect the most works from, rather than the raw number of total works.

But it's a COMPETITION, you know. We nerds love to compare sizes....

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

That may very well be, but I'm kinda curious how he counts. His Elfman, for example, which is close to my own, and I have practically everything he has done - including hyperrare bootleg material that few others own

I had the exact same question and issue regarding Peter's (and Erik's!) Poledouris scores.
    I am really, really curious to see what issues/scores/bootlegs/whatever I've *missed*. Even when counting -ahum- some less than legitimate issues I own in digital format only, I can't get over 50...

Please?
    Pretty please?

My Poledouris collection is very close in number to yours Martijn and I too would like to know how those numbers in Erik's and Peter's add up.

In fact I've just counted and I have 34 separate CD's by Basil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

But it's a COMPETITION, you know. We nerds love to compare sizes....

wink

It's always better if you put that size to good use rather than comparing it around wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's quantity NOT quality goddarnit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

Please?
    Pretty please?

Everything I have is ripped to my computer, so my way of counting was simply seeing how many folders I had. My collection includes CDs, CD-roms gathered over the years and some I only have as mp3, so my number would vary depending on the rules of this game. I also counted some scores twice because I both have the official and unofficial releases. Also, several Poledouris albums have more than one score per album, for instance "Flyers" & "Fire on the mountain", and I counted each score by itself again. So I probably don't even have more than you, it could simply be the lazy way I made the count, i.e. by looking at how many folder I had.

Here's my list though:

Amanda
    Amazons
    Amerika
    A whale for the killing
    Big wednesday
    Breakdown (Final and rejected score)
    Breakdown (Rejected)
    Celtic pride
    Cherry 2000
    Conan the barbarian
    Conan the destroyer
    Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles
    Farewell to the king
    Film works
    Fire on the mountain
    Flesh+blood
    Flight of the intruder
    Flyers
    Free Willy
    Free Willy 2
    For love of the game
    Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man
    House of God
    Honor and glory
    Hot shots! Part deux
    Iron Eagle
    It's my party
    Kimberly
    Lassie
    Les misérables
    Lonesome dove
    Love & treason
    Making the grade
    Mickey blue eyes
    Ned Blessing
    No man's land
    On deadly ground
    Prison for children
    Quigley down under
    Red dawn
    Return to the blue lagoon
    Robocop
    Serial mom
    Single bars, single women
    Spellbinder
    Starship troopers
    Switchback
    The adventures of Conan-Sword and sorcery spectaular
    The blue lagoon
    The hunt for Red October
    The hunt for Red October (Complete)
    The jungle book
    The legend of Butch & Sundance
    The new twilight zone-A message from charity
    The new twilight zone-Monsters
    The touch
    The war at home
    Under siege 2-Dark territory
    White fang
    White fang (Expanded)
    Wind

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sunil wrote
    1) Ennio Morricone (~400)

Oh! My God. You are the man, Peter! you are true fan of Ennio Morricone. beer kiss

Hehe. beer

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    I used to maintain an Excel sheet when my collection was at 600 or so. I haven't updated it in the last couple of years and I think my collection has more than doubled. I'd reckon that I might have about 90 Morricone, 30 John Scott, 25 Delerue, 25 Donaggio. And beyond that I probably have a uniform distribution of Kilar, Talgorn, Frisina, Desplat, Armand Amar. Of course, there's a considerable spread with numerous obscure scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I used to maintain an Excel sheet when my collection was at 600 or so. I haven't updated it in the last couple of years and I think my collection has more than doubled. I'd reckon that I might have about 90 Morricone, 30 John Scott, 25 Delerue, 25 Donaggio. And beyond that I probably have a uniform distribution of Kilar, Talgorn, Frisina, Desplat, Armand Amar. Of course, there's a considerable spread with numerous obscure scores.

Ah! great, i will do the exact thing. Whatever i purchase, whether it is CD or DVD, i just enter into my excel sheet. I just update as soon as i purchase any CD or DVD. In fact, this is a good idea. Hey, BP, we both are sailing in the same boat. beer

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I just know the CDs from my favorite three composers:

Ennio Morricone: 80
    James Horner: 52
    John Williams: 37
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

I don't have time to count everything, but I'll give you this:

John Williams: 188
    David Arnold: 40
    James Horner: 45
    Jerry Goldsmith: 53

Both are approximate, and I may perhaps have overcounted, but I tried to follow the original post. I counted titles & versions of titles. The line is sometimes hard to draw though, as there are some expansions that have not seen a bootleg in the traditional sense of the term. And not everything is official or pressed, obviously.

(PS: no doubt Erik has more official albums - I'm missing a few of the long OOP ones like Spacecamp.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What do you mean by "titles"?

This is getting totally confusing to me. Some are counting physical CD's, which is what I did (but which obviously encompass far more TITLES), some are counting commercial albums, some are counting bootlegs, some are counting non-film work, compilations etc.

So I've done the easiest thing....namely put my Williams collection doc-file to be downloaded here:

As I said earlier, I would LOVE to see Erik and fommes' lists too, if they have them easily available. Just to see what they've got that I don't. And perhaps vice versa. You can see mine if I can see yours etc. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, er, we can see yours already so you got nothing there to bargain for anymore, buddy!
    wink

By 'titles' I mean film titles, concerto titles, etc.
    What I didn't count are home-made or bootleg compilations which comprise a variety of material, like that Fanfares/Themes stuff. I also didn't count titles where there's only a theme (ripped from VHS or so) from available on these bootlegs. On the other hand, things like The Rare Breed rerecording or the Memoirs of a Geisha EP do count as a decent representation or album I think. Obviously, I also didn't count the works where Williams is only a performer for another composer's score.

By the way, isn't it fairly obvious what we've got that you don't?
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just so my case is clear, I was counting physical CD's not titles of scores. A CD case containing two CD's I counted as one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    By the way, isn't it fairly obvious what we've got that you don't?
    biggrin

Not really, no. Complete & Chronological releases of stuff, perhaps? (even though I have a few of those too!). Again, it would be cool to see your list if you've got one. You can PM it to me if you don't wish to make it public.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thor wrote
    Complete & Chronological releases of stuff, perhaps?

You don't say!
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BOOTLEGS, PIRATED MP3s and other ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES!
    I'm sure of it.

Har!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Thor wrote
    Complete & Chronological releases of stuff, perhaps?

You don't say!
    cool

Well, if you're NOT counting bootlegs, these are the expanded reissues I DO own:

JAWS
    CE3K
    E.T.
    STAR WARS 1-3 (although these are going out tomorrow!)
    STAR WARS: PHANTOM MENACE
    THE FURY
    SUPERMAN (Rhino 2CD)
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (DCC)
    INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

Not bad for someone who hates that stuff. That leaves me these expanded reissues that I do NOT own (since I'm pleased with the originals):

PENELOPE
    GOODBYE MR. CHIPS
    SUPERMAN (FSM box)
    INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE
    HOME ALONE 2

Not that many. Certainly doesn't account for the difference.

[edit: Nevermind. I just found out....it is indeed multiple versions of the same scores - including "private" versions - plus a number of compilations that I've never bothered with that make up the difference. On the plus side, I have more "esoteric" material and original compositions! smile]
    I am extremely serious.