• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Watching all these desperate measures trying to control the nuclear power station I am wondering that all these measures are trying to save the situation.

Should those in charge accept that the station is lost and just contain and cement up the place?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Even then you'd have to cool the fuel rods.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Even then you'd have to cool the fuel rods.

Hadn't I heard that they had used sand at Chernobyl as sand is good at absorbing heat. Adding sand would effectively make the reactor useless for the future but it would mean a more effective way of cooling what needs to be cooled. Watching how ineffective dropping water onto the reactor is, dropping heavier sand must surely be more accurate and more effective in the long run?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. They are waiting for borium acid, which is a better coolant than water it, plus it is a neutron poison, which will be very useful in Fukushima right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Nuclear power...it doesn't come with an off switch. Oh, the irony...
  5. If our house is anything to go by there is an almost exponential growth in the reliance on electrical goods that require power from somewhere. It is not even a reliance as the majority of these goods are non-essential: games consoles, fancy TVs, phones, etc.

When it all goes well everyone is happy but in a crisis like this there's an understandable fear of nuclear power.

Is our reliance on nuclear power unavoidable considering our lifestyle now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's sad 'cause they seem desperate and unorganized. Hard to believe one of the most organized nation in the world would pass over this subject and the precautions / dangers around it so lightly until something bad happens and run around in confusion and desperation. I'd expect from the modern Greek nation for instance, but never from Japan.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. And I would wager that any country with nuclear power would be in the same situation as Japan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't know, are there no pre-cautions to take ? Esp. if you're right on top of one of the most eartquake-active regions of the earth? You just go by until all hell breaks loose and throw water to cool the reactors and run away as fast as possible? Also the actual info coming to the outter world is very limited, usually late and confused; of course it also has to do with the pride character and culture of the nation, but these are matters beyond any country and affect the entire globe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think Japan has plenty of precautions. In fact, they are some of the most organized in the world when it comes to such things. It's just that this is on a scale that it's hard for us to imagine, and forces at play for which you cannot really prepare sufficiently.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011 edited
    Yesterday's top article on Slashdot websites:
    Slashdot.org : Japan Earthquake Story
    Slashdot.jp : iPhone Angry Birds discussion

I'm wondering if it is really as apocalyptic as our media is showing (not because of the above example, but because there's also a lot of comments of experts that say the impact so far is really limited, and a cloud going over Tokyo is really not an issue, but only in the close vicinity of the reactor.
    Kazoo
  7. I think Miya could say a bit about the behavior in Tokyo, but outside of Tokyo, they are really organized D., just doing their jobs. The panic is in Tokyo itself and the city is seemingly in little to no danger.

The worst thing is that the Japanese stopped trusting their government and listen to the West, which builds up more panic than there should be. The voices that Fukushima will become the next Chernobyl are going way too far. Just two examples:

1. In Chernobyl the reactor was exposed directly into the air. There was NO building that would stop the radiation from coming out of the air. While the roof of reactor 3 has exploded, where most of the outside cooling happens, it's still not as bad. The roof of reactor 2 is intact.

2. In Chernobyl they used graphite as the reaction moderator (to slow down the chain reaction). In Fukushima they are made of metal. That means, they will never directly *burn*. The fire in Chernobyl took a week to put it out. So, the temperatures to cool the reactor aren't as high in Fukushima.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but people keep comparing Chernobyl from a nation and time completely different from Japan of 2011. Forget the former, looking back in time at the way worst and comparing is no excuse; Japan (and any other country that does this kind of stuff) should be able to contain this no matter what, especially since they're one of the planet's most admirable, organized, technologically advanced and hard-working nations; let's hope they succeed but things look really grim.
  8. From my point of view, Chernobyl and Japan's reactor are two completely different situations that should be compared irrespective of how well we now can deal with them. As far as I understand it, Chernobyl was so much more of a disaster that even with today's technology we would struggle to do any better than we did then.

The media is always trying to compare this current situation with what happened back in the 1980s at Chernobyl that now the general public think "Chernobyl" when they see what's happening in Japan. And that's the media's fault.

Yes, Japan should have been able to contain this. Didn't they construct their plants to cope with a "reasonable sized" earthquake? I would hope so. And would their precautions have given a good chance of survival for a larger one? Maybe. Was a tsunami hit factored in? I've never heard anyone before last week talking about reactors (or buildings) being built to withstand tsunami.

Risk/benefit/cost
  9. shocked

Wasn't sure whether to put this here but this video shows a visualisation, using GPS data of the seismic earthquake slip and seismic wave of two of the Japanese quakes: the main quake and a major aftershock.

The lefthand panel shows the horizontal displacement (blue) and the right panel shows the vertical displacement (red). Maybe someone could better explain what we are seeing (Christian?) but I assume the magnitude and direction of the arrows indicates the magnitude and direction of the movement of the earth?

Two things immediately strike me. How the effects flows across the earth's crust away from the epicentre of the earthquake. Also, what a difference between the first M9.0 quake and the second M7.9 quake (the arrows from the first shock are removed to better see the effects of the second).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011 edited
    I appreciate that this is all awful but, aaahh, I love geology. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    Martijn how are things with your brother? Is he on European soil again?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    Yes! He landed safely yesterday! fireworks bhangra fireworks
    Cost him a bundle though (he had to rebook the flight). Hope the insurance company will be lenient. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Good news, Martijn.
  11. Great news smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Cost him a bundle though (he had to rebook the flight). Hope the insurance company will be lenient. slant

Great news Martijn! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

That must be a relief, I hope his insurance company pays out.

Anyway, good news punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent, huge relief to hear. Glad for you and the family my friend!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011
    Great news Matrijn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's sad 'cause they seem desperate and unorganized. Hard to believe one of the most organized nation in the world would pass over this subject and the precautions / dangers around it so lightly until something bad happens and run around in confusion and desperation. I'd expect from the modern Greek nation for instance, but never from Japan.

Oh "one of the most organized nation"… Now finally we can prove that it's just surface? wink

Well, I just found it interesting to know how we were seen from other countries. But everything looks better from the outside than inside. I think all of our known problems, which have been pointed out for long time but not solved, were just revealed to the world by the disasters - the government & large companies delay releasing information (they always do), lukewarm mass-media vs. hysteric internet crowd (both are stinky), lack of media literacy & science literacy among people, lack of communication skills among scientists (yeah including myself shame) and lack of interactions between scientists and non-scientists.

The last three are especially what I've been concerned about these few years… now I'm seriously thinking about taking the "science communicator training program" at a museum (actually I was considering it even before the quake). Ornithologists can't save people or can't kill anybody (um, generally), but maybe I can contribute something for scientific education?

Anyway, I have to do something on my current jobless status first. rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    kiss to you Miya, for both pointing out the pain and immediately following that up by what YOU as a single person can do to make things better.

I wish this was a more prevalent attitude throughout the world.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Miya, a lot of what you say is found here in the UK also - governments and large companies not being ready to provide information unless it is forced out of them, the media's almost frenzied panic at a story (particularly if it portends doom and gloom) without any follow-up of the story once the danger is passed (or if it was found that there was no danger in the first place), poor quality reporting of science stories and the lack of interest in science in the general public and the sustained presence of an "ivory tower" attitude amongst many scientists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Miya, a lot of what you say is found here in the UK also.

I dare to say it´s a phenomenon in all countries where freedom of speech is a holy cow. Everyone has an opinion and can´t rest until it´s been posted on twitter, FB, and all over the news, and spreading panic is the favourite game.

But it´s still worth it. I´d rather sort out the truth out of hundreds of voices than being forced to listen to the Big Brother only.

And as disillusioned as I am about the chance of mankind as a species improving ethically before it destroys itself (and the rest of the planet with it), I have a deep respect for anyone who at least tries to do his or her part for a better future.

I hope that you, your people, and your country get out of this mess soon and without further harm.

Best wishes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited
    Thanks for that view Miya. Refreshing! I also had a different idea about Japan. Just before the earth quake I read an article that you had 4 prime ministers in 5 years! Something must not be working well. shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011