• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    And speaking of theme

NP: Transporter 2 - Alexandre Azaria

Great theme, simple and malleable. Very well orchestrated and arranged. Good album listening experience with loads of nice standalone tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I liked Beowulf as well, very, very enjoyable - much more so than Van Helsing I think, primarily due to the theme in Beowulf I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    fommes wrote
    I liked Beowulf as well, very, very enjoyable - much more so than Van Helsing I think, primarily due to the theme in Beowulf I guess.

I'll take Beowulf over Van Helsing. Though Van Helsing does have the advantage of having some pretty good action cues....
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    And speaking of theme

Great theme, simple and malleable. Very well orchestrated and arranged. Good album listening experience with loads of nice standalone tracks.

Finally, another listener!

A bit too synthy in places, but overall very enjoyable and with some noteworthy action cues.

Have you heard the score to Transporter 3? It's messier, but again has standout action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Knights Of The Round Table - Miklos Rozsa (LP version)

Glorious adventure score !
    I get saturday matinee memories when listening to it .
    They shure don't make them like this any more ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    lp wrote
    And speaking of theme

Finally, another listener!

A bit too synthy in places, but overall very enjoyable and with some noteworthy action cues.

Have you heard the score to Transporter 3? It's messier, but again has standout action music.

HUZZAH!!!

Transporter 2 had the best score. "T3" is more messy, and seems to be as disjointed as action on screen. And the awesome theme was barely used.

I'm trying to find more of Azaria music, hoping that he has a few more with the same approach, but have been largely disappointed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let me know if you do. I really like the David Arnold/Don Davis approach to the scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Let me know if you do. I really like the David Arnold/Don Davis approach to the scores.

The Arnold/Davis approach. An apt description, for sure. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNOWING - Marco Beltrami

One of last years better scores, some great writing but one I have to be in the mood for.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: las 13 rojas (Banos)

Fairly lush romantic drama score.

Also listening to Lady in the Water (Newton Howard) and Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon) this morning. Both great scores, particularly the latter. Oh, for the world where Gordon scored LOTR.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: las 13 rojas (Banos)

Also listening to Lady in the Water (Newton Howard) and Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon) this morning. Both great scores, particularly the latter. Oh, for the world where Gordon scored LOTR.

Lots of brilliance you've been listening to, then (apart the middle section of lady wink ).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Yeah, I have no problem with the mid-section of LADY. It tells a story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're right. But that story is the least interesting of anything Shyamalan ever wrote, at least to me. I managed to achieve zero emotional connection with any part or character of that movie, very much unlikely all the rest of the films he made.
  3. I'm not talking about the film. I hear a story in the music.
  4. NP: The Legend of Butch and Sundance (Basil Poledouris)

Ah, a sense of that gorgeous Lonesome Dove folk-western sound, albeit without LD's sense of scale. A wonderful coda for the composer, whose subsequent passing adds a hint of mortality to the music. (although that's probably meant to be there, given the subject).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: las 13 rojas (Banos)

I'm happy with Shore's monumental work but I have no doubt Gordon given the same time would have delivered the goods and then some.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Indeed. It would be the difference between really good and great, for me. Gordon's music in general has more in it, I'm finding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I agree with you there Michael.
    Gordon's music is superb.
    One the very best around today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Indeed. It would be the difference between really good and great, for me.

As in Shore's music compared to Gordon's? Hmm, as much as I love Gordon's music, and as much as I'm curious to hear what he might have come up with for The Lord of the Rings (as I'm sure we all are for many other composers), for me Shore's scores are perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. I wouldn't even swap a Williams trilogy score for Howard Shore's work. Not a bloody chance.
  6. I don't think Williams would have been a great choice for LOTR. His sensibility is a bit too modern these days.

I'll get shot for this, but here goes.

I listen to MOBY DICK, and I hear the way he develops his themes. There is not one lazy orchestration there -- he's finding great new ideas for every single presentation of the journey of the themes. Shore's scores are great, dense with repeated ideas, and achieve some incredible peaks. The three single disc albums are great. The scores do however fall into repetition after a while, particularly when you listen to the complete recordings, you hear how familiar the orchestrations get -- 70% of it is left hand - right hand under a good theme, or a grim bit of low string murmurring. It could be the intention was to sound like a pre-counterpoint world, but then most of the film's musical influences come from the late 1980s New Age music movement, so I think it's just a limitation on Shore's part.

There's great stuff, and quite a bit of development mind you (particularly in Aragorn's journey), but MOBY DICK is a richer musical journey, and none of it sounds like it was written by someone who was sitting at a piano. That LOTR score wouldn't have had to end with a quote from Wagner to attach a sense of artistic intent to the 9 hours of music -- it would have been punching at a near similar level for most of its running time.

Hey, it's an opinion, and the best thing for anyone who disagrees with it is that the scores as written will always be what they are, no matter what I imagine might have been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A quote from Wagner? Where?
    (Serious question. I never noticed.)

I should give Gordon's Moby Dick a spin...for the oddest reason I thought I didn't like it, but realize now I'm probably confused with Sainton's original (which did little for me, musically).

NP: Parc Oceanique - John Scott
    Another one in Scott's "Cousteau" series, and it's gorgeous, even more rich in texture and more lush in sounds than the other efforts. I renew my esteem for this composer with nigh every CD of his I listen to!
    I especially like Scott's Cousteau/documentary scores as the music in those is far more symphonic than some of his proper fiction film work. It's more coherent, and seems more narrative.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Indeed. It would be the difference between really good and great, for me.

As in Shore's music compared to Gordon's? Hmm, as much as I love Gordon's music, and as much as I'm curious to hear what he might have come up with for The Lord of the Rings (as I'm sure we all are for many other composers), for me Shore's scores are perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. I wouldn't even swap a Williams trilogy score for Howard Shore's work. Not a bloody chance.

I wholeheartedly agree. But apart 3 scores, i don't see that rule extending to any other works in Shore's career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Via Mala - Ennio Morricone

Wow, what a great album! The main theme is emotional, beautiful and the rest of the (many) themes are also fantastic. Out of 14 track there are only 3 difficult suspense music - and I even like one of them! The Via Mala track is a highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    No, one from 1985 - though the CD was released last year in Japan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Parc Oceanique - John Scott
    Another one in Scott's "Cousteau" series, and it's gorgeous, even more rich in texture and more lush in sounds than the other efforts. I renew my esteem for this composer with nigh every CD of his I listen to!
    I especially like Scott's Cousteau/documentary scores as the music in those is far more symphonic than some of his proper fiction film work. It's more coherent, and seems more narrative.

Have you listened to Scott´s "Expédition Jules Verne: A bord du trois-mâts Belem"? Another great score from this composer. I agree with you by the way, my admiration for Scott gets bigger with every work I discover.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Odyssey Of the Belem is how I got into his Cousteau sets, Marcel! I was amazed at how a story could be told so clearly just through music that was supposedly just referential (being film music and all). These works are of truly superb quality in concept and execution, and I enjoy them as much as any classical symphony.
    At times more so.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

love <- I think this icon is the most suitable one for this score.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Odyssey Of the Belem is how I got into his Cousteau sets, Marcel! I was amazed at how a story could be told so clearly just through music that was supposedly just referential (being film music and all). These works are of truly superb quality in concept and execution, and I enjoy them as much as any classical symphony.
    At times more so.

So, I see at screenarchives that ODYSSEY OF THE BELEM is the concert / symphony version of the "Expédition Jules Verne: A bord du trois-mâts Belem". This one is definitely gonna be in my next order!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Lemony Snicket - Thomas Newman

One of those Newman scores that I like. Probably it has to do something with the - in case of Newman - above the average lenght of the majority of the tracks. His quirky style just fits this quirky movie. The usual heartbreaking theme at the end of the album is superb.