• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    Marselus wrote

So, I see at screenarchives that ODYSSEY OF THE BELEM is the concert / symphony version of the "Expédition Jules Verne: A bord du trois-mâts Belem".

Yes, it is, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

It's a beautiful piece of work, both cerebral and intensely emotional. Definitely not for everyone (as many of Scott's Cousteau set isn't, due to the very overt Classical nature of his compositional type on these scores), but for those with a taste for the Romantic, a good ear, and an affection for classical symphonic music it should really be a feast!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

So, I see at screenarchives that ODYSSEY OF THE BELEM is the concert / symphony version of the "Expédition Jules Verne: A bord du trois-mâts Belem".

Yes, it is, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

It's a beautiful piece of work, both cerebral and intensely emotional.

Wow, I´m ordering it without a doubt. I´ve had the "Expédition Jules Verne: A bord du trois-mâts Belem" for months but hadn´t played it until today. An extraordinary work. As D would say, a true gem.

Martijn wrote
    Definitely not for everyone (as many of Scott's Cousteau set isn't, due to the very overt Classical nature of his compositional type on these scores), but for those with a taste for the Romantic, a good ear, and an affection for classical symphonic music it should really be a feast!

Not a problem, I love Scott´s style. I admit I didn´t discover him until a couple of years ago but since then I´m totally in love with his music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cool. cool
    Looking forward to your thoughts once you've ordered and received it.
    Scott is not a composer discussed much around here.

I can imagine why -see the reasons in my earlier post- but I do think he's very worthy of some additional consideration. And who knows? We might turn a few people on to him! He's remained much under the radar.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Scott is not a composer discussed much around here.

That´s why I started THIS wink

Martijn wrote
    I can imagine why -see the reasons in my earlier post- but I do think he's very worthy of some additional consideration
    Only "additional"? It should be mandatory!

Martijn wrote
    And who knows? We might turn a few people on to him! He's remained much under the radar.

That´s the point of these NP posts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

One word. BRILLIANT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Happy Birthday Silver Pony Tail!

Today is all Goldsmith day and I begin with the most inspirational score I own...

NP: Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

I saw the film again two days ago and the ending still had me bawling like a baby! Excellent film, even better score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    balling like a baby!

uhm
    Puberty strikes earlier and earlier, it seems.
    v. balled, ball·ing, balls
    v.tr.
    1. To form into a ball.
    2. Vulgar Slang To have sexual intercourse

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eww. Well that ain't right...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Whoops! Typo! Change is made!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Whoops! Typo!

I figured. wink
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think Williams would have been a great choice for LOTR. His sensibility is a bit too modern these days.

How about John Scott? Even better, a 1980's mode James Horner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think Williams would have been a great choice for LOTR. His sensibility is a bit too modern these days.

My two choices would have been Elliot Goldenthal or Wojciech Kilar!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Goldenthal for LOTR? I hope you are joking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope you're joking! shocked

Still, Howard Shore did a fine job. End of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Goldenthal for LOTR? I hope you are joking.

Not joking at all. Listen to "Civil War" from Michael Collins and tell me THAT would sound out of place in the LOTR films. Or any of his grandiose music from FINAL FANTASY, TITUS, the BATMAN films, etc.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Both of them would have been really interesting, particularly Goldenthal.

As would John Scott, Martijn, I agree.

Not so sure about 1980s era Horner. I like KRULL, but WILLOW's never really got my pulse going.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote

As would John Scott, Martijn, I agree.

Now we are talking.

Erik Woods wrote
    Not joking at all. Listen to "Civil War" from Michael Collins and tell me THAT would sound out of place in the LOTR films. Or any of his grandiose music from FINAL FANTASY, TITUS, the BATMAN films, etc.

-Erik-

I´m not the biggest fan of his dark, overelaborated style (well, not a fan of any of his music honestly) but I see your point.
  3. If you read "Supposedly" on my rejected scores site, you will find out Kilar was a lot closer than you think to LOTR.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    If you read "Supposedly" on my rejected scores site, you will find out Kilar was a lot closer than you think to LOTR.

Common knowledge!

BTW, Justin, it's time for that site of yours to get a face lift. Good lord that's one ugly page.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, as long as the information is good, I'm never too worried about the looks.
    (Depends much on you target audience, though, I hasten to add)
  4. Yeah, I know -- it's not too appealing to look at, but it was never meant to be shiney or flashy. But I have been thinking about re-designing the index page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, I know -- it's not too appealing to look at, but it was never meant to be shiney or flashy. But I have been thinking about re-designing the index page.

I think it's just a matter of putting some of this stuff in separate pages so you are scroll for days looking for information. But a little update in the design wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You can create a free Wordpress blog too (like Tom did for his blog) and arrange it as a section with news, and have several other pages on which you have lists and updated info. smile

www.wordpress.org

Open source and free.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

I honestly wish I had never heard that Kilar was close to getting it, because from that moment on I was disappointed he didn't and it influenced my enjoyment of Shore's efforts. They are terrific, I came to realise - but I still wish someone with a slightly more colourful orchestrational technique had done them. (I can't listen to many moments of any of the scores and criticise them - but I find the lack of genuine diversity in the sound a bit of a problem even with the regular albums, and the full-length ones are unlistenable. Part of it may be the recording, of course - they're the worst-recorded film scores I've ever heard.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited
    ^ Can't disagree with anything written there!

-Erik-
  5. Kurlander's recording does add to the sense of general murkiness in Shore's writing.
  6. NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

I always enjoy this album thoroughly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

I think it's great too, I'd like to hear the missing action music which has been talked about.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

I think it's great too, I'd like to hear the missing action music which has been talked about.

Me too!

-Erik-
  7. NP: Final Fantasy (Elliot Goldenthal)

Speaking of what might have been, how about Elliot Goldenthal for AVATAR? I could imagine the beautiful end credits song for this film going perfectly over AVATAR's end credits. Even the lyrics are apt for AVATAR's story. (And the song is many times stronger.)