• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Still playing The Wolfman. Oh baby, this is superb film music! How at one time this was a REJECTED score is beyond me!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You should check out Kilar's DRACULA, it's brilliant, one of the very best scores of the 90's.

Jeff Bond mentioned the following at FSM concerning the Dracula score.

"In his DVD commentary Coppola said Kilar only wrote about 15 minutes of music for Dracula and that the score (and soundtrack album) had to be derived by combining and recombining the original pieces of music he recorded into different cues."

-Erik-

Now I didn't know that. Must listen to the album again to see if I think it's really true or not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Christophe Beck

Whoa, what a grand orchestral score! I never really expected this from Beck - no synths at all (at least seemed to me) and IMO, is by far the most coherent and well-structured orchestral material I've heard from him so far. Not anything groundbreaking but really a pleasure to listen to. Recommended.

Just don't see the movie wink
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Yes, I've heard that before, regardless, the end result is spectacular.

Indeed! But that's a little bit of trivia I DIDN'T know.

NP: The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

I'm a few seconds into this and already I'm impressed. But the Kilar Dracula influences are most definitely there! But it's great to hear Elfman in this mode again! The album features another brilliant recording by the best in the biz, Dennis Sands!

Loving this!

-Erik-

It's thematic and bold, surely a surprise, i expected something just dark and in the background. And to think that the douches who made this movie rejected this score at first! (no, don't tell me about how it 'might not work in the movie' 'cause i've seen it last night, it's the only element that really works wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's thematic and bold, surely a surprise, i expected something just dark and in the background. And to think that the douches who made this movie rejected this score at first! (no, don't tell me about how it 'might not work in the movie' 'cause i've seen it last night, it's the only element that really works wink )

For an album that runs over an hour there is a wonderful flow to the music from cue to cue. An exceptionally well produced album and easily the best 2010 score I've heard so far!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dark Void Bear McCreary

So. Much. Fun.

I don't imagine my enthusiasm will be shared by everyone, but I have to admit this one works for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

Something to get me in the mood for tonight.

BEEEEERRRRR!!!! beer

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lick Me too in a few hours beer

NP : HOSTAGE - Alexandre Desplat

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Once Upon a Forest (James Horner)

One of his final animated scores and certainly not his best. Though the magical aspect is more than present in the wonderfully gorgeous main theme, first heard in the song, and its many renditions after it, this score has too much rehashing of his past works, and the underscore lacks the superb quality orchestrations heard in 'The Land Before Time', or 'We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story'. A couple of good tracks near the end is not enough to save it. This is a typical Horner in his lush and melodic mode but somehow I don't love it, not enough to go out and pay the ridiculous sum this album goes out the door for. If there was still a store selling it, that is. Still it's good enough to warrant a listen when my mood calls for it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry and Joel Goldsmith

The last great Star Trek score. Yes, even better than Giacchino's but let not start a war!

You know, all the producers of this album had to do was add in one missing track and I'm pretty sure all fans of this score would have been satisfied with the presentation. How much extra would it have cost to include "The Flight of the Phoenix" cue?! It's an extra six and a half minutes. Well, thank God I have 2CD's of the First Contact recording sessions so I just plopped the Phoenix cue in right after "The Dish." Now the First Contact album is perfect!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry and Joel Goldsmith

The last great Star Trek score. Yes, even better than Giacchino's but let not start a war!

I don't think many people will argue with you there! I love Giacchino's score, it's a LOT of fun... but First Contact was the last TRUE Trek score. It was one of the first scores I owned, it has a special place in my collection. (The top shelf in fact.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What shelf?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN MORRIS - the elephant man

Intriguing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    What shelf?

An actual shelf back at home, believe it or not. Right there, right on the top. (Mostly because I'm anal and starts with my favourite composers at the top.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Intriguing.

But outshadowed by the inclusion of the famously used in this movie, Adagio for Strings, op.11 by Samuel Barber. What other piece of music wouldn't though? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Intriguing.

But outshadowed by the inclusion of the famously used in this movie, Adagio for Strings, op.11 by Samuel Barber. What other piece of music wouldn't though? wink

The piece works better in this film than it does in Platoon IMO. Have you seen this film D?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Intriguing.

The piece works better in this film than it does in Platoon IMO. Have you seen this film D?

Yes, a phenomenal piece of cinematic work imo. But i'd say the same applies to Platoon as well. I have difficulties differentiating the quality of Adagio's usage in any of those 2 films, i find them both very spot-on and emotionally intriguing.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Still playing The Wolfman. Oh baby, this is superb film music! How at one time this was a REJECTED score is beyond me!

I agree! I'm really enjoying this one - right from the start.

Elfman has been producing some great scores over the last few years.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    NP: Playlist | Sports Scores - Various Artists

I'm getting prepped for the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics tonight so I'm spinning my Sports Themed playlist. I'm currently playing JAC Redford's music from D3: The Mighty Ducks which includes David Newman's fantastic theme from the first film!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

cool
  3. Erik, are you familiar with any of the music to the NFL Films?

I've come across some addictive tracks off an album entitled "Autumn Thunder: 40 Years of NFL Films Music" as well as David Robidoux's Hard Knocks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I agree! I'm really enjoying this one - right from the start.

Elfman has been producing some great scores over the last few years.

I think we can safely say he's on a roll during the past 3 years or so, unlike many others. He's certainly one of the modern film music greats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, are you familiar with any of the music to the NFL Films?

I've come across some addictive tracks off an album entitled "Autumn Thunder: 40 Years of NFL Films Music" as well as David Robidoux's Hard Knocks.

I absolutely LOVE watching NFL films. I'm not a big fan of the sport (I much prefer the Canadian styled game) but the documentaries and specials NFL films put together are incredible. Amercia's Game, a 43 episode special documenting each and every Super Bowl champion should be shown in theatres! It's that good! Intensely dramatic and genuinely emotional. The camera operators working these games are, IMHO, the best in the biz! Rack zoom out and focusing on a football in flight is an iconic image of NFL films and one of the hardest things to do as a camera operator. I've tried it... and it ain't easy following the ball, zooming out and correcting focus all at the same time. Anyway, even if you aren't interested in football check out THIS and tell me your aren't entertained!

As for the music... I don't have any of it however a lot of the more recent program employs a more power anthem Zimmer touch which fits with the visuals but does nothing for me away from the show. However, some of the more militaristic music used in older programs are pretty interesting!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Where are you guys getting this from? The cd is not out until the end of the month, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Where are you guys getting this from? The cd is not out until the end of the month, isn't it?

You can download via iTunes or get a promo!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm getting prepped for the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics tonight so I'm spinning my Sports Themed playlist. I'm currently playing JAC Redford's music from D3: The Mighty Ducks which includes David Newman's fantastic theme from the first film!

-Erik-

Same here. I have been listening to heroic sport scores today. I love what Mark Isham wrote for Racing Stripes and also some kick butt brassy music in Miracle.

NP La Virgen Negra Elik Alavrez

Martijn, I think this will be up your alley- lots of spanish guitar cues with orchestra. Your occasional chanting by Lisbeth Scott.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    What shelf?

An actual shelf back at home, believe it or not. Right there, right on the top. (Mostly because I'm anal and starts with my favourite composers at the top.)

rolleyes

You were supposed to say:

TOP.
    Shelf.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Bioshock 2 - Garry Schyman

It doesn't flow that well as an album, but it's full of interesting pieces that I'm sure work wonders in the game.

Reminds me of Brian Tyler's "Bug" in places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tintin wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same here. I have been listening to heroic sport scores today. I love what Mark Isham wrote for Racing Stripes and also some kick butt brassy music in Miracle.

Those two are in my playlist as well. punk Extraordinary orchestral writing by Isham.

Right now I'm spinning William Ross' stirring cue "U.S. Open" from Tin Cup.

-Erik-
  4. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You should check out Kilar's DRACULA, it's brilliant, one of the very best scores of the 90's.

Jeff Bond mentioned the following at FSM concerning the Dracula score.

"In his DVD commentary Coppola said Kilar only wrote about 15 minutes of music for Dracula and that the score (and soundtrack album) had to be derived by combining and recombining the original pieces of music he recorded into different cues."

-Erik-

Now I didn't know that. Must listen to the album again to see if I think it's really true or not!

I personally think Coppola is exaggerating. There would be a root of truth to it, in that one of the things that I imagine was going on was that Kilar's typical method of working was very much like that of other European film composers that begans with New wave movements (e.g. Delerue, Morricone, Legrand, Preisner). In their European films, they more often than not provided a set of musical ideas to be used in the film rather than specifically-spotted wall-to-wall scoring. It's only from the late 90s (The Ninth Gate, Pan Tadeusz) that we hear Kilar scores that are fully-rounded scores in the wall-to-wall fashion. Even in PORTRAIT OF A LADY and WE OWN THE NIGHT (a more recent title), you can hear the legacy of the suite of themes approach. There is however a lot more than 15 minutes in DRACULA, including material that didn't make the album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ATTICUS ROSS - book of Eli

Weirdest score i've heard in a while. Completely electronic / electronica driven, and plain odd. It's ambient, but not of the pleasant kind, it's rather unsettling and harsh at places. I don't think i belong in this score's audience.