• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Give Bioshock 2 a listen mate, I'm sure that'll be more in your genre!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    Will do so!

[edit] i am already doing so and the first few mesmerizing string chords and the cello solo already have me on the wall!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It gets darker. cool

Edit: Oooh, LOST rip off at the end of "Destroying The Lobby". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ it's...it's....It's SO captivating!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

Someone had the mind to replace this with Haslinger?! Shoot them now!

This is easily the most alluring score I've heard in a long, long time.

Elfman has been on a roll the past couple of years. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely. Replacing that with Haslinger was the most retarded thing in ages. Even more embarrassing is re-hiring Elfman back with the same rejected score in the last minute. We got lucky.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think you mean re-tarded.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Anthony wrote

This just keeps getting better and better. It's no way near as dark as I thought it would be, and feels quite upbeat and fun in a lot of places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    What shelf?

An actual shelf back at home, believe it or not. Right there, right on the top. (Mostly because I'm anal and starts with my favourite composers at the top.)

rolleyes

You were supposed to say:

TOP.
    Shelf.

Yeah. I have literally no idea what you're going on about.
  1. Once again "The Red Canvas" (James Peterson).

An very, very good score. I am hesitant to say excellent, but it's certainly a top-shelf winner, and this should be a nominee for Best Score, not jokes like "Avatar".

Not sure what to put in next.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  2. Echo ... echo ... echo...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Yes, Avatar.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Once again "The Red Canvas" (James Peterson).

An very, very good score. I am hesitant to say excellent, but it's certainly a top-shelf winner, and this should be a nominee for Best Score, not jokes like "Avatar".

Justin... The Red Canvas is an excellent score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Anthony wrote

This is easily the most alluring score I've heard in a long, long time.

Elfman has been on a roll the past couple of years. cool

Same here. Joe Johnson was right to fight for Elfman's score to be reinstated, it's dark but it's reminscent of Sleepy Hollow and of course, Kilvar's Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I would like to hear the additional snippets Conrad Pope and Ed Shearmur contributed to the film. I'll have to sit down and see it Sunday...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And what's wrong with that? The score's thematic, bold and wholly symphonic. More of this please, and less crap in film music.
  4. NP: Hellboy II (Elfman)

This is actually really good. I enjoy it a lot more than WANTED, from the same year. The romantic material in particular. I need to start chasing down the recent big Elfman scores -- WOLFMAN, this and TERMINATOR SALVATION.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolfman - Danny Elfman

Wow! Love this. The Kilar influence is obvious, but Elfman makes it his own pretty well.
  5. NP: Lady in the Water (James Newton Howard)

The variations that JNH takes his Scrunt theme through in 'The Great Eatlon' at 1:24-1:44, and then 2:25-2:50. If there was something that good in KING KONG, I would understand why people love that score. Instead, I'll just appreciate this underrated score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

Did Haslinger record something finally?

Very good score by the way. Is it me or some cues (string writing) is something Beltrami could have written?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's thematic and bold, surely a surprise, i expected something just dark and in the background. And to think that the douches who made this movie rejected this score at first! (no, don't tell me about how it 'might not work in the movie' 'cause i've seen it last night, it's the only element that really works wink )

For an album that runs over an hour there is a wonderful flow to the music from cue to cue. An exceptionally well produced album and easily the best 2010 score I've heard so far!

-Erik-

will check this one out soon enough, alongside of Percy Jackson, hopefully they both deliver on all scales, but judging from the commentaries here, it will smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Once again "The Red Canvas" (James Peterson).

Justin... The Red Canvas is an excellent score!

-Erik-

for me, it is the score of the year, not one score equals its mastery and potential
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Age of Empires III (Stephen Rippy & Kevin McMullan)

Not very interesting at first glance, but there's something underneath, a peculiar sound thanks to some good old rollicking orchestrations and thematic outbursts that makes this game soundtrack interesting after a few listens. For starters, it has a central theme which crops up now and then, plus some varied sounding cues mixed in the whole. Completely orchestral, with a little choir in some tracks, it's definitely a pleasant listen and a far cry from the boring drone mess you get in some videogame music. I'm beginning to like it more and more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Christophe Beck

Whoa, what a grand orchestral score! I never really expected this from Beck - no synths at all (at least seemed to me) and IMO, is by far the most coherent and well-structured orchestral material I've heard from him so far. Not anything groundbreaking but really a pleasure to listen to. Recommended.

Wow, indeed. If you are in for a big, symphonic, adventurous, brassy score this one is for you (the seven minutes cue "The Hydra" has it all). A pleasant surprise.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Whoa, what a grand orchestral score! I never really expected this from Beck - no synths at all (at least seemed to me) and IMO, is by far the most coherent and well-structured orchestral material I've heard from him so far. Not anything groundbreaking but really a pleasure to listen to. Recommended.

Wow, indeed. If you are in for a big, symphonic, adventurous, brassy score this one is for you (the seven minutes cue "The Hydra" has it all). A pleasant surprise.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS is of equal qualities as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

cool

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony

More massive orchestral goodness? I've never heard this side of Beck before, but bring on more please. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does it have themes?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's a very minor one I've been able to pick out (I'm only about quarter the way through though), but more impressive is the action writing and vibrant orchestration. I strongly urge you to hear it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I will.