• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    NP: Memoirs of a Geisha ~ John Williams

Perfect for relaxing this rainy Sunday. Wonderful!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Tudors - Season Two (Trevor Morris)
    I´ve never watched the series but the music is pretty good, atmospheric although melodic at the same time in the more drama oriented cues. I might give the show a chance!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited
    Stavroula wrote

One of my all time favourite scores!

NP:Gladiator (Zimmer).

A really disjointed score.

I'm not a great fan of this score. the action music is just annoying (the battle, Barbarian Horde). And What is worst, the succes of this score made Zimmer use Additional composers even when he goes to the bathroom.

Anyway, there are sublime tracks : "the progeny", "to succhubar", "might of Rome" , "earth", Duduk of the north are an example of what this score could have been!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Lost (Season 1) - Michael Giacchino

I haven't played this in such a long time. It's much more vibrant and colorful than the primal scores to the other seasons. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

I'm not a great fan of this score. the action music is just annoying (the battle, Barbarian Horde). And What is worst, the succes of this score made Zimmer use Additional composers even when he goes to the bathroom.

I still love the desert caravan theme regardless of who wrote it. cool
  1. Love Gladiator, everything about it, even the action music !! For me the standard album flows very well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

And What is worst, the succes of this score made Zimmer use Additional composers even when he goes to the bathroom.

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I still love the desert caravan theme regardless of who wrote it. cool

If you mean the To Zucchabar piece, it is Zimmer with Gasparyan (the duduk player) improvising over Zimmer's base.

If you mean the city theme, it's Zimmer's
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Go improv!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    biggrin

Scrobbling trough the Vladimir Cosma box. I'm almost half way. Highlights are the suites that are included at he end of almost each presented score. There's some fabulous material, like the Concerto de Berlin or The Jaguar. Also crap is included, like the aforementioned terror that is called Diva.

I like Diva tongue cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    NP The Tudors - Season Two (Trevor Morris)
    I´ve never watched the series but the music is pretty good, atmospheric although melodic at the same time in the more drama oriented cues. I might give the show a chance!

The show is very well done and features lots of nekid people.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The Great Fantasy Adventure Album (Erich Kunzel & Cincinatti Pops)

Awesome stuff. I really get a kick out of compilations such as these where the orchestra, conductor and the rest of the crew alter the sound of the piece slightly, yet make it sound spectacular in their own way.

El Cid, Jurassic Park, Robin Hood, Willow, The Abyss, The Rocketeer, Beetlejuice, Wizards and Warriors, Conan the Barbarian, The Hunt for Red October, The Terminator ! They all are brilliantly performed. cool

KUNZEL ALBUMS ARE AMAZING ! punk punk punk

I've ordered his 'Epics' album too, which has many more of these fantastic themes. Looking forward to playing it LOUD AS A MUTHAFUCK !!!!!

I'm enjoying compilations more and more, makes me remember the good old days when film scores were simply exciting and memorable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Anyway, there are sublime tracks : "the progeny", "to succhubar", "might of Rome" , "earth", Duduk of the north are an example of what this score could have been!

Gladiator is disjointed? You're ill. wink It's evidently along with THE THIN RED LINE (this one especially), two moments in his career that are influential and he doesn't seem to be able to surpass. The third one being BlackHawk Down.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

I haven't played this in such a long time. It's much more vibrant and colorful than the primal scores to the other seasons. cool

I know. I started playing all the LOST Scores in series last week...such brilliant music in there, so much emotions revoked once again!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Gladiator is disjointed? You're ill. wink It's evidently along with THE THIN RED LINE (this one especially), two moments in his career that are influential and he doesn't seem to be able to surpass. The third one being BlackHawk Down.

I agree with Jordi, Gladiator is disjointed, or actually I would say schitzophrenic and no, I'm not ill but I am enjoyably hungover tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Enjoyably hungover? uhm

I'm not sure I like you anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote

It is disjointed. It's a fact. You can like it or not. And of course it was an influential score (How i said, Zimmer kingdom started with this score)

"progeny", "the battle", "the patricide" , "the mob" and "elissyum" are an example of the 4 diferent kind of orchestrations and sounds, wich doesn't have anything in common between them. The fact there are so many themes doesn't help either. It was the first time Zimmer scored such a BIG movie, and you notice that.

King arthur is for sure a more simplistic score, but all the tings are blended together perfectly.

PS:The Thin Red LIne is BOoooooooooooooooring!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote

I would replace Black Hawk Down with The Prince of Egypt, but that's just me.

Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)

After Kunzel's stunning compilation I was craving for yet more brilliance. Since Jordi made that statement I wanted to check if he's right. confused

No disjointedness to be found. The album is wonderful with enough moments of reflection in between the louder tracks. One of my favourite Zimmers and Lisa Gerrard's voice adds so much to the feel of it. She is the vocal expression of Maximus' pain and determination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not quoting is also fun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Enjoyably hungover? uhm

I'm not sure I like you anymore.

Don't hold it against me, it's an unusual occurence rather than the norm. wink
  5. Steven wrote
    Not quoting is also fun.

Uhm... what?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
  6. Uhm... what?

tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I know. I started playing all the LOST Scores in series last week...such brilliant music in there, so much emotions revoked once again!

I've got through the entire season 2 score as well now. Shortly moving on to season 3, but I'm not looking forward to the drag that is the second CD. True, 2CDs were needed for the season 3 score, but not (almost) C&C scores to the finale episodes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi, that is bollocks, especially from someone who rates Scherlock Holmes as highly. wink The whole album flows naturally from one piece to the other, the musical pieces themselves have continuity and Zimmer-trademarked development, they're full of great themes, melodies and passion. Yes it's not the cleverest music out there (but which Zimmer score is it anyway?), yes it can get cheesy and over the top at places, but it fits the movie 100% (i don't know what they say, but i adore this kind of Ridley Scott filmmaking and i am a sucker for Gladiator. I can hardly wait for Robin Hood too, since it looks like Gladiator 2 essentially). On cd, it makes for a very satissfying listening experience and it's a score that has left a very strong mark the modern film music genre, for good or for bad.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And even I like it, one of the few Zimmer score I can say I genuinely do - so it can't be all bad. wink
  7. I love Gladiator, it's one of my favorite Hans Zimmer scores (and I would kill Jordi for what he said about The Thin Red Line, which is my all-time favorite movie AND score), but I must say that I do find slight disjointedness on the album, maybe because I recognize the classical influence and going from Holst to Gorecki through Wagner is something still of a shock to me.

But indeed it's a great score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Played: Pride and Prejudice ~ Dario Marianelli
    A very nice score for an enjoyable film and an even better book! I remember studying at the university and being completly swept away. The score ios a perfect background for the it.

NP: Inkheart ~ Javier Navarrete
    A fairytalish, bold and sweet but sadly underrated score.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Romeo & Juliet - Nino Rota

A breathtaking score for a heartwrenching film.
    Is there anything more evocative than doomed love? Rota surely let the deeply tragic and melancholic fate pervade the joy and happiness of young loves in this superb soundtrack, that may be one of the most stirring that I have.

Fitting for Valentine's Day! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Romeo & Juliet - Nino Rota

A breathtaking score for a heartwrenching film.
    Is there anything more evocative than doomed love? Rota surely let the deeply tragic and melancholic fate pervade the joy and happiness of young loves in this superb soundtrack, that may be one of the most stirring that I have.

Fitting for Valentine's Day! smile

I couldn't have said it better (apart from the Valantine's Day bit, I'm not too much into it)! It always bring tears to my eyes.