• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So, some of my favorite composers have only dipped their toe in composing music for horror/thriller films (Williams' War of the Worlds is one very prominent example), so I'm really curious what the classics are in this genre, score-wise and composer-wise.

Just to kick things off, I'm already quite familiar with Herrmann's Psycho. I guess I'd prefer something composer within the last 20 years, but I'm really open at the moment.
  2. Oh, I've also heard (and enjoyed) Newton Howard's score for Signs. One of his best IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited
    Williams' Jaws and Dracula don't count?

Anyhow, Goldsmith's Omen trilogy and Poltergeist, Young's two Hellraiser scores and equally impressive Bless the Child, Kamen's Event Horizon, Goldenthal's In Dreams, Kilar's Dracula, are for me the scores that spring to mind first.
  3. I've heard Christopher Young thrown about. I might try him out first...

I've listened to Jaws, and honestly wasn't too blown away. Maybe because it was much lighter than I thought it would be. I didn't feel there was enough menace, aside from those famous two-notes...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I've heard Christopher Young thrown about. I might try him out first...

I've listened to Jaws, and honestly wasn't too blown away. Maybe because it was much lighter than I thought it would be. I didn't feel there was enough menace, aside from those famous two-notes...

If you like huge apocalyptic choirs and meaty orchestrations then you MUST pick up HELLBOUND : HELLRAISER II, it's just awesome and also contains some moments of incredibly tranquil beauty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Just how many times can you recommend Hellraiser II in one day, Tim!! wink

Quality score by the way!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hellraiser is among the most awesome apocalyptic horror scores, but also thanks to the menacing and genuinely frightening metallic/circus sound design. But, again, don't forget Bless the Child!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNwfNkW … tube_gdata
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    all the omen scores, absolutely fantastic (not the beltrami one)
    urban legend
    drag me to hell
    christopher young's the grudge scores, The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just how many times can you recommend Hellraiser II in one day, Tim!! wink

Quality score by the way!

It won't be the last time I recommend it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. POLTERGEIST !!!

The most terrifying / wondrous piece of music that Goldsmith wrote. The mix between the macabre and the magical is absolute gold!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap.

And Hellraiser too, as it's been noted above.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    POLTERGEIST !!!

The most terrifying / wondrous piece of music that Goldsmith wrote. The mix between the macabre and the magical is absolute gold!!!

Poltergeist II : The Other Side is very good too, though nowhere near the class of the original.

No mention of ALIEN? ( too obvious?? )

I would also recommend Goldsmith's The Mephisto Waltz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd say ALIEN is a classic yes, but Goldenthal's Alien3 is the creepiest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

How's this one? Omen-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    First time I hear about that one, interested as well!

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YhmlfLV … tube_gdata

This is some freaky shit!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

How's this one? Omen-esque.

No. Check out Bob's post above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damn, that's creepy! It has a lot of elements from atonal / serialism writing for sure. I prefer Penderecki for this kind of stuff wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Are we going for downright creepy here, or is dark Gothicism with creepy edges fine as well? Because Trevor Jones' From Hell sure is a fine effort.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin, are you familiar with John Williams THE FURY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Are we going for downright creepy here, or is dark Gothicism with creepy edges fine as well? Because Trevor Jones' From Hell sure is a fine effort.

Ah, that's a good score indeed, thanks for the reminder.

If we go this way, DARKNESS FALLS by Brian Tyler is perhaps his best effort to date, as well as his Constantine rejected and also Chris Young's BLESS THE CHILD of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited
    Never heard Darkness Falls, but is it really better than THE KILLING ROOM? That's, to me, among his very best work. BUG is interesting and unsettling, in a way, as well. His rejected CONSTANTINE is fantastic for sure, very harsh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Darkness falls is epic, dark and completely orchestral. It's nothing like he did afterwards and it's considered by many his best score to date, it's recommended for sure.

The killing room is very, very different; Intelligent and brooding, but more mature and complex whilst Darkness Falls is good ol' fashion horror symphonic banging.

Also, 2 great scores in the genre:

Bennett Salvay - jeepers creepers 1 and 2. Killers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking of Tyler, I did enjoy his score for Frailty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Epic? Dark? Orchestral? How come I missed this?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, Frailty is liked a toned down version of Darkness Falls.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, Frailty is liked a toned down version of Darkness Falls.

And that's why I like it far more, a much subtler score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't really like horror scores, especially those that are very traditional with lots of stingers and sneaking-around music. However, I do appreciate what I label "delicious darkness", scores that approach the subject matter in a more romantic idiom. Stuff like Young's HELLRAISER, Williams' THE FURY, Goldenthal's IN DREAMS or many of Marco Beltrami's horror scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote

No, but I'm willing to try it out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, but I'm willing to try it out.

Please do! I say you're in for a treat, it's very thematic and gothic, an incredibly powerful work with a nod towards Bernard Herrmann while remaining very much a Williams score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I don't really like horror scores, especially those that are very traditional with lots of stingers and sneaking-around music. However, I do appreciate what I label "delicious darkness", scores that approach the subject matter in a more romantic idiom. Stuff like Young's HELLRAISER, Williams' THE FURY, Goldenthal's IN DREAMS or many of Marco Beltrami's horror scores.

I'm with you Thor, out and out horror scores do very little for me.