• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013 edited
    I wasn't a fan myself, but there's no denying his position in rock history. Sorry to hear this news, I didn't even know he was sick (he apparently had a liver transplant in May). 71 is too young to go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013
    Oh my. sad
    Never was a major fan, despite some truly wonderful songs (Walk On The Wild Side, Perfect Day), but he certainly was an icon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Marcia Wallace, famous among fans for her work on "The Simpsons", passed away a day or two ago.

You may know her as Bart's teacher, Edna Krabappel.

They've decided to discontinue her character, like they did with Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure after Phil Hartman was murdered. No word on whether she'll just disappear or be killed off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Composer John Tavener, has died at 69:
    http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ … -died.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013
    Sad news. One of those composers I've always been meaning to check out, but never got around to.

I love his "Funeral Canticle" which was used in TREE OF LIFE. He has several other pieces put into films too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013 edited
    Yes, Funeral Canticle is gorgeous. I also like Eternity's Sunrise and also some of the music he composed for Children of Men was quite impressive. Beautiful use of voice and choir. But a lot of his music I find hard to appreciate though. Not that I know a lot of his music, there's so many pieces. RIP.
    Kazoo
  3. British writer and nobel laureate Doris Lessing is dead.

I read "Canopus in Argos: Archives. Re Colonized Planet 5 Shikasta" And this isn't even the whole title. One highly ambitious science fiction novel.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. jeezus, can't believe this sad

Paul Walker dies in car crash

just 40 years old sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    Oh no! sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. Indeed sad. But I had to check to see who was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. In a car crash, of all things. I hate to be the one to point that out but...yikes, someone up there has a sick sense of humor. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't know who he was.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    In a car crash, of all things. I hate to be the one to point that out but...yikes, someone up there has a sick sense of humor. slant

These things happen, and it's not surprising when you consider how many people live on this planet, a large proportion of those drive and that accidents like this occur frequently. It's just a matter of time before the next 'spooky' coincidence like this happens. (Time being the key, since given enough time, most things will and do happen!)
  7. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    In a car crash, of all things. I hate to be the one to point that out but...yikes, someone up there has a sick sense of humor. slant

These things happen, and it's not surprising when you consider how many people live on this planet, a large proportion of those drive and that accidents like this occur frequently. It's just a matter of time before the next 'spooky' coincidence like this happens. (Time being the key, since given enough time, most things will and do happen!)

True. It is us who draw such connections.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Like the title suggests, I'm going to hell for this, but...

http://imgur.com/gallery/JMhbcR5
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    how very English of you wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    So it was finally time for one of the great icons and figures of the 20th century -- Nelson Mandela himself.

What a man.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. R.I.P. Nelson Mandela.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013
    Now there was a man who made a difference.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013
    sad
  9. sad to see a person go who has made such an impact sad
  10. As Thor already mentioned: Peter O'Toole passed away aged 81.

One of many films I will remember: The Last Emperor

He was a magnificent actor.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    He certainly was. A genuine titan who will be remembered as a legend.

Lawrence of Arabia is a cliched choice, but is probably my favourite film. His charismatic performance is stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    A cliché choice maybe but so deserved, he is sublime in that.
  11. A great actor: RIP sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    And just after O'Toole came the news about Joan Fontaine's passing too -- another screen legend. A bad day for our beloved artform.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm amazed O'Toole still hit the ripe old age he did (he spent the best part of the seventies and eighties drunk), but I always loved seeing him. In any film. What a grand actor.
    I always enjoyed this tribute.

I think I'll pull out The Stunt Man one of these days.
    His finest hour this side of Lawrence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In the Spittin Image sketch, is that Steve Coogan doing O'Toole?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it's John Sessions, actually.

Initially I thought it might be Chris Barrie (of Red Dwarf fame), when I found -through the Red Dwarf audiobooks- that he is an amazing impersonator and read later that he was part of the Spitting Image team!
    Well, it wasn't Chris, but rather bafflingly that actual sketch was written by Grant Naylor and Rob Grant...who of course wrote Red Dwarf. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tom Laughlin and Joan Fontaine also passed away. She was certainly great in Rebecca.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!