• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I recommend this CD that offers a great overview over the composer's work:

http://www.amazon.de/Deutsche-Filmkompo … amp;sr=1-1

Thanks Volker!
    I'll be getting this one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    Oh no! sad
    I love his work on Die Nibelungen films, which I once likened to Rozsa's work.
    Excellent CD representation as well, and a great personal favourite of mine.

I would really like to hear a bit more from him.
    To my own embarassment I never went out of my way to find more than I had.

A couple of discs that I would recommend are 2 CDs with suites from several of his films:

A CD featuring music from his scores for Tarabas and Hiob:
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/27275/Tarabas

Tarabas has a lovely theme that's a highlight of this CD.

A second CD features music from his scores to Flucht ohne Ende, Radetzkymarsch and Don Carlos:
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/titl … +Ohne+Ende

Flucht ohne Ende is a highlight of this CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    I love his work on Die Nibelungen films, which I once likened to Rozsa's work.
    Excellent CD representation as well, and a great personal favourite of mine.

I had a listen to some of Die Nibelungen again this evening as I didn't seem to have any "favourite" tracks from this score - which surprised me. But, listening to it again, I didn't really make any real connection with the music: I didn't particularly enjoy it.

But the generous CD (it's a 2-CD set) presentation is great. It may be difficult to get a hold of - I think that SAE has a used copy for $70.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Normand Corbeil RIP

Most people don't know him, but I got to know him through his work on the sci fi movie Screamers, and more importantly Heavy Rain (which is a perfect film score for a video game). He was about to work (or did already work on) Beyond Two Souls, the much anticipated game of the makers of Heavy Rain

Anyway, sad to hear about his death, 56 is no age to go sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Stuart Freeborn, Yoda's maker, dies sad
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stuart Freeborn, Yoda's maker, dies sad

He became one with the Force.
    R.i.p.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    No mention of this yet, but guitarist Peter Banks of Yes fame passed away a couple of days ago.

I have no particular connection to his guitar playing, but I love Yes -- both their 70's prog stuff and their more streamlined 80's style.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    This affected me tonight, the man played no small part in my love of reading....

JAMES HERBERT sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    This affected me tonight, the man played no small part in my love of reading....

JAMES HERBERT sad

Herbert's work was something that I dabbled in only for a limited time - I think he was overshadowed in my reading habits by Stephen King.

And looking through his list of novels, I think Moon was my first Herbert novel and then reading the next 3-4 novels (up to and including Creed). My interest in his work then seemed to wane and I didn't read any more.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    I got into Herbert at a very young age, I was only 13 when I read THE RATS ( his first novel ), like you Stephen King came to prominence too when I first read a novel of his, THE STAND ( in 1980 and the first tombstone sized book I dug into ), the likes of King, Clive Barker ( who blew everyone else out of the water with the awesome WEAVEWORLD ), Ramsey Campbell and others would take up my reading time over the likes of Herbert but every now and then I'd dip back into his works and it was always oddly comforting, like watching a favourite Hammer film, his work was classic horror.

p.s. Me and a mate accidently "bumped" into James Herbert in a Bristol bookshop back in 1980, I ended up buying his latest novel ( The Dark ) and got it signed which I still have to this day, he was a lovely and gentle bloke and quite happy to chew the fat with a couple of high spirited teenage idiots.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013 edited
    Clive Barker's WEAVEWORLD is an excellent book! And I also enjoyed IMAJICA. But what I didn't enjoy about Barker's books was his love of using unpronounceable names, e.g., how would you pronounce Yzordderrex?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    People are saying that Roger Ebert has passed away. The news site seems to be overloaded, though.

Sad news.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. He was one of my favorite film reviewers.
  9. Thor wrote
    People are saying that Roger Ebert has passed away. The news site seems to be overloaded, though.

Sad news.

Damn, that's really surprising news. Sad, he was a great reviewer indeed sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013 edited
    It won't mean much to almost anyone here, but I just learned Carmen Infantino died.

Infantino was a comic books artist for DC, and did a lot of work on Batman in the weird 'interbellum' (roughly 1963-1969) between the silly fifties scifi Batman (classic plot line example: Batman is transported to the past by aliens, helping troglodytes fight dinosaurs) and the early seventies' New Golden Age of Dennis O'Neill, bringing the Bat back to its manhunting detective roots.

As such, he wrote and illustrated a great number of classic, but ultimately forgettable stories. Probably his most important contribution there was the redesign of the bat logo, which went from a standalone black symbol to a black on yellow vignet.

in the early eighties he tried his hand at illustrating some Star Wars comics in the Marvel line, but keeping to his own style rather than the reference material, everything he did looked like "old science fiction", with a distinct late fifties flavour. He really botched up some damn good stories with this ill-advised approach.

I will remember him fondly though as the man who ushered in the second (and to many definitive) Flash, Barry Allen, with his famous streamlined red and yellow costume design. For his tireless, decade long work on The Flash, defining the look and feel of one of DC's most beloved super hero and his foes, may his name live forever in the chronicles of comics' greats.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    There'll be as much celebrating as there'll be mourning here in Britain...

MARGARET THATCHER

I will not miss her one tiny little bit.

I see I missed Martijn's post on Carmine Infantino, now that to me is saddening. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear that. Regardless of what one feels about her or her politics, she was a dominant figure of the 20th century.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Helmut Kohl hated her with a passion and they were on mutual terms there.
  11. I am hoping that comments here will not degenerate to the levels that I see on Twitter and Facebook.

I have little interest in politics but I'm reading of people who will celebrate her death. At that basic level that can't be right? Are people actually lumping her in with the likes of Hitler, Hussein, Ghaddafi, etc?
  12. You expect decent behaviour on Twitter and FaceBook?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am hoping that comments here will not degenerate to the levels that I see on Twitter and Facebook.

I have little interest in politics but I'm reading of people who will celebrate her death. At that basic level that can't be right? Are people actually lumping her in with the likes of Hitler, Hussein, Ghaddafi, etc?

There is already two threads about her on FSM, fancy a wager on how soon both threads will get locked? wink
  13. Captain Future wrote
    You expect decent behaviour on Twitter and FaceBook?

That's true I suppose. It is a good view on the breadth of humankind then.

And it certainly fleshed out some of the acquaintances I have on these networks and who I have not yet met. I'll make sure to avoid politics with them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited
    Thatcher, like Reagan, having come to power during my (political and social) formative years, will to me always be associated with the strongest possible sense of clear direction and no-nonsense leadership that seemed needed in a time of social and material confusion and turmoil.

Of course having read as much as I have on either leader, there's been the occasional second thought on any impending sainthood (for one thing, as sharp witted as she was, Thatcher apparently had absolutely no sense of humour!), but it's very hard in my mind to keep in any kind of objectivity: she defined British hardnosed bulldoggishness on a level not seen since Winston Churchill.

And of course her and Neil Kinnock (leader of the Labour Party at the time) made politics fun again and as eminently watchable as a wrestling match!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I loved Spitting Image, today's baige coloured politicians would make for a very poor pool of comedic value if the show was still being made now.
  14. Timmer wrote
    I loved Spitting Image, today's baige coloured politicians would make for a very poor pool of comedic value if the show was still being made now.

It's not the "I'm-getting-old-because-the-policemen-are-looking-younger" scenario; politicians back then were old. Old meant experience. Today, young means no experience and (theoretically) no skeletons in the closet.

Most of the politicians I remember would be a PR company's worst nightmare today!! (Yes, I mean Michael Foot!!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am hoping that comments here will not degenerate to the levels that I see on Twitter and Facebook.

There is already two threads about her on FSM, fancy a wager on how soon both threads will get locked? wink

Too late. Both are now locked.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm watching Eggheads on BBC 2, I find our Prime minister David Cameron ( aka Mr Punch, Billy Bunter ) too queasy to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I suspect my views on Thatcher do not coincide with most of my Facebook friends' (or indeed Tim's!)

But certainly - one had no doubt that she held strong convictions and did what she genuinely believed was right for the country rather than herself. I'd much rather have politicians like that (whether Labour or Tory) than the bunch we've had since, who somehow manage to be completely bland and yet completely self-serving (and hold ideologies for ideologies' sake).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And growing up as a child of her era - for most of my life I knew of no other kind of politics. It always saddened me to discover the kind of politics that followed (from 1997, anyway, for over a decade there was no functional opposition in the UK, which was a bad time).