• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012
    So much for anyone else having a guess then rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry. Edited the post; hopefully others missed it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Thor beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2012 edited
    Awww bloody el' another one of the good un's is gone, 95 is a great innings but even so.... sad

HERBERT LOM

From the Pink Panther's and so, SO many others, such a great presence in all the films he graced.
  1. As someone else stated, the last of The Ladykillers has departed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2012
    shocked
    I thought he had already left us DECADES ago!

95. smile What a marvellous old age.
    Always greatly enjoyed his presence in any film. Prone as he was to overacting, he was always a fine addition in any ensenble (and he did have a very distinctive, great voice!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. it's indeed an age one feels comfortable with
    still, a man who made us all laugh has left us, rest in peace sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Wow. Herbert Lom was still ALIVE?! punk Damn good innings he did.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Martijn wrote
    Always greatly enjoyed his presence in any film. Prone as he was to overacting, he was always a fine addition in any ensenble (and he did have a very distinctive, great voice!).

I quite enjoyed his performance in The Dead Zone. A great film so this one stick in my mind.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Richard Robbins has died.

The gf just told me that she read on the news that a film composer had died. Coincidentally the wonderful cue A portrait returns/Darlington Hall/End credits From The remains of the day was playing in the background at the exact moment she brought it up.

Peter sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This was mentioned in the ( brand new ) RICHARD ROBBINS thread, I'm surprised this has bypassed so many people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think I've ever heard of him? Pity!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    Me neither.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    I've just heard that Larry Hagman ( J.R. Ewing in Dallas ) has died sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    It wasn't unexpected, he'd been ill for a long time.
    But yeah...odd to see such an icon to a generation go.
    I'm feeling old.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Richard Robbins gone. Sad to hear. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Oh no, one of my jazz heroes has just passed on sad

TAKE 5

Dave Brubeck is one of the last of the jazz greats, yes he had a long life but it doesn't make it less saddening that he's left us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Legendary jazz artist, for sure, even though I'm not terribly familiar with his output.

Sorry to hear about this, but at 91 he got to live a long, full life.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012
    The sky will never quite be the same. sad

Aside from his most flamboyantly presented skywatching program, I always got a great kick out him playing himself in the UK audio sequel to Independece Day.
  6. Yes, sad to read of the death of Patrick Moore.

I am sure that he must have played a part in my interest in all things science. I remember having several astronomy books written by him when I was young.

Such an inspiration the way in which he became so highly regarded in astronomy purely by his own enthusiasm and hands-on application in the absence of any formal training.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That is truly sad, Patrick Moore was definitely an influence on my life. It's hard to conceive of 'The Sky At Night' without him sad
  7. I think I will listen to "At the Castle Gate", from the incidental music to Pelléas et Mélisande by Jean Sibelius, which was the music used to open and close Moore's recordbreaking BBC TV programme, The Sky At Night. I would always make a point of listening to this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think I will listen to "At the Castle Gate", from the incidental music to Pelléas et Mélisande by Jean Sibelius, which was the music used to open and close Moore's recordbreaking BBC TV programme, The Sky At Night. I would always make a point of listening to this.

A lovely piece and, I believe, was chosen by Patrick himself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012
    I forgot to mention that I met Patrick Moore once, he was playing Xylophone as a guest at a Ron Goodwin concert. I had a little chat with him backstage but I can't remember what I asked him, I was only 15 yrs old at the time, probably something silly like 'did you meet Neil Armstrong' or some other innane question.
  8. This isn't meant to be in any way negative, but I though Patrick looked more and more like his GamesMaster image each year!

I remember watching one of the recent celebrations of The Sky At Night, when they had a number of professional and keen, amateur (celebrity) astromomers at Moore's home. It was clear that everyone in the room were "starstruck" (no pun intended) to be with him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012 edited
    Yes, I thought he was looking very frail for a long time and now that you mention it he did look like his gamesmaster image.

He was among the last of the great British TV eccentrics.
  9. He certainly was!

Did he feature in the Morecambe and Wise musical number where the likes of Eddie Waring, Robert Dougall and Barry Norman were all dressed up as sailors? I can't remember.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    He certainly was!

Did he feature in the Morecambe and Wise musical number where the likes of Eddie Waring, Robert Dougall and Barry Norman were all dressed up as sailors? I can't remember.

I vaguely remember that but don't remember Patrick??? dizzy

Edit: I tried to find it on YT with no luck.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012 edited
    Ravi Shankar sad

I'm very saddened to hear about the passing of this great musician even though 92 is a fantastic innings. I love the Sitar and I loved hearing Ravi play it. I was in India in 1989 and stayed in Varanasi, Ravi Shankar's birth place, for nearly a week, the most senses assaulting city I've ever been to, amongst it's many delights ( and sometimes horrors ) were a multitude of Sitar workshops, I stopped at a few to have a look and every proprietor would tell you that He and only He made Sitars for Ravi Shankar and that anyone else who told you this was a liar, whether any of them were telling the truth I will never know.*

I would guess that many here would mostly know him for his contribution alongside George Fenton for Richard Attenborough's 1982 film GHANDI for which they were Oscar nominated, losing out ( as if I had to tell anyone here ) to John Williams E.T.

* or maybe they were all telling the truth? In India anything is possible wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012
    Yeah, very sorry to hear that. He was a true legend.

Loved some of the scores he did too, especially for Satyjajit Ray, one of my favourite directors (the APU trilogy is wonderfully scored).
    I am extremely serious.