• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    I've no idea what the CD is going to be, but I just read perhaps the most welcome news I've seen about a limited edition soundtrack CD in years. FINALLY - one of the labels remembered how to produce a proper album. I will be celebrating long into the night.

From Roger Feigelson:

"Just some info on this release. This is the first album where we are introducing the new format. It is divided into two parts. "The Album" features a program that serves the music best. "The Extras" features a program of all the extra stuff that didn't really add to the listening experience or took away from it. The notes will indicate the C&C sequence for those who want to rearrange in iTunes or cut a CD-R for that program."
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    I'm dying to hear Thor's opinion on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Grrrrrreat.... More tedious work for me each time I pop the CD in. Personally I'm not excited about this.

But the label isn't the true controversial party here. It's ultimately the composers' fault for creating scores that have "best highlights" and "detracting junk." If everyone was a Goldsmith or a Horner with the skill to captivate our attention throughout the whole duration of most of their scores, we wouldn't have this argument.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. I, for one, applaud Intrada for taking the lead and trying to think about pleasing as many people as possible.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Grrrrrreat.... More tedious work for me each time I pop the CD in. Personally I'm not excited about this.

But the label isn't the true controversial party here. It's ultimately the composers' fault for creating scores that have "best highlights" and "detracting junk." If everyone was a Goldsmith or a Horner with the skill to captivate our attention throughout the whole duration of most of their scores, we wouldn't have this argument.

^ Not all Horner or Goldsmith scores captivate everyone's attention for the whole duration; plus there are composers today who can sometimes fill this bill, like Giacchino or Philippe Rombi for instance; Talking about exaggerated comments…
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    " "The Extras" features a program of all the extra stuff that didn't really add to the listening experience or took away from it."

Why include them then?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. "listening experience" is a matter of opinion. I highly suspect their presentation will make as many people happy as, say, the complete in film order to [b]"Innerspace"[/i]. In other words, it's not worth the effort.

And I don't know about you guys, but when I've finished off a score that ends well (like, for example, "Signs"), the last thing in the fucking world I want are some more random cues plying and then ending without a emotional conclusion.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    And I don't know about you guys, but when I've finished off a score that ends well (like, for example, "Signs"), the last thing in the fucking world I want are some more random cues plying and then ending without a emotional conclusion.

You can just press stop. There is no easy solution to the problem of a score being presented in complete and chronological format when the music doesn't justify it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    "listening experience" is a matter of opinion. I highly suspect their presentation will make as many people happy as, say, the complete in film order to [b]"Innerspace"[/i]. In other words, it's not worth the effort.

Wow. PERFECT example. The building structure of Signs is essential to the brilliance of this score. Just like Lady in the Water and Spitfire Grill and Field of Dreams. But of course, not every score is like that.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on Innerspace though. Are you saying the recent C&C release was a bad thing?? Personally I find it one of the best re-releases of the year.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote

I know where you're coming from, but I can't agree. The composer must first and foremost serve the film, and if that means that there are five consecutive pieces which are all 30-second versions of the love theme then that's what he must do. But I don't want to listen to that on an album and that's why so many of these limited edition "give 'em everything" CDs just don't work.

Surely everyone would rather hear a wonderful 30-minute album with the option of all the rest of the music in the film and instructions on how to create that experience should they want it, than a 75-minute album featuring 30 minutes of decent music buried within it (like Innerspace, to use Justin's example - a very hard album to listen to in the form it was released).
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    " "The Extras" features a program of all the extra stuff that didn't really add to the listening experience or took away from it."

Why include them then?

It's like Alan said just a few comments up. It's all about finding the compromise to please "as many people as possible." Like Southall said there's no easy solution. This particular one happens to work better for many people here than it does for me... but heh, I'm minority I guess. It could be worse though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote

But if a composer is able to create, say, thirty minutes of genuinely worthy music in a three hour long score, how is hearing those 30 minutes in succession a bad thing while allowing completists to hear the rest?

Personally I think this is a good thing. Alternatively, releasing it in complete and chronological order but with their album version in the liner notes would be just as good - I listen to all my music through my computer anyway, so it doesn't concern me either way. (Indeed, I make my own albums from regular albums and complete scores, so I much prefer listening to music through my computer as I don't have to burn CDs of playlists I've made. It's so much more convenient, been doing it for years. Plus all my CDs are back home with my parents.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Personally I think this is a good thing. Alternatively, releasing it in complete and chronological order but with their album version in the liner notes would be just as good - I listen to all my music through my computer anyway, so it doesn't concern me either way. (Indeed, I make my own albums from regular albums and complete scores, so I much prefer listening to music through my computer as I don't have to burn CDs of playlists I've made. It's so much more convenient, been doing it for years. Plus all my CDs are back home with my parents.)

This for me is perfect. Hard to see how any party could be too bothered - those who want the listening experience can get it and those who want the souvenir of the film can get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    I know where you're coming from, but I can't agree. The composer must first and foremost serve the film, and if that means that there are five consecutive pieces which are all 30-second versions of the love theme then that's what he must do. But I don't want to listen to that on an album and that's why so many of these limited edition "give 'em everything" CDs just don't work.

And maybe this new initiative by Intrada is perhaps the best solution after all. As fans of these artists we deserve to know what the extent of their talent is, and if they're consistently incapable of producing a C&C score then we need to know that. You don't have to listen to them in C&C form, but it's good to know that this guy or that guy is only good at producing highlights, if that's the case (like Bruce Broughton's themes and action versus his less successful suspense music, in my opinion).

And if someone actually is willing to put the effort of listening to the whole thing in C&C and eventually gleans a greater appreciation for the whole thing than even fans of the shortened version (as I'm sure is the case for me and Innerspace), then they can do that, too.

Yeah... so I'll need to put extra effort to re-order tracks when I play these new Intradas but perhaps this really is the best compromise.
  3. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

You can just press stop. There is no easy solution to the problem of a score being presented in complete and chronological format when the music doesn't justify it.

And you can press "Next".

EDIT:

For Real Life practicallity, it's cheaper to press the next track button, than it is to rip it, and burn it to a CD-R which you have to pay for. Pressing the button is free.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

This for me is perfect. Hard to see how any party could be too bothered - those who want the listening experience can get it and those who want the souvenir of the film can get it.

Or both. Often I like scores as "souvenirs" and for the music itself.

I think the Lost music is an example leaning more on the "souvenir" side. I'm not sure I'd listen to those albums as much as I do were I not a Lost fan. Many Goldsmith scores on the other hand are all about the music.
  4. HeeroJF wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "listening experience" is a matter of opinion. I highly suspect their presentation will make as many people happy as, say, the complete in film order to [b]"Innerspace"[/i]. In other words, it's not worth the effort.

Wow. PERFECT example. The building structure of Signs is essential to the brilliance of this score. Just like Lady in the Water and Spitfire Grill and Field of Dreams. But of course, not every score is like that.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on Innerspace though. Are you saying the recent C&C release was a bad thing?? Personally I find it one of the best re-releases of the year.

No, I am saying the average person finds it just suitable, but there are people out there who love the C&C of "Innerspace", and that that number for that score, and pretty much any random example, would be equlivant to an arranged "listening experience" number of fans.

Thank goodness we are all different -- a world full of "Thor"s? That's a mighty annoying world. With no one else, it's either a world of agreement orgasms, or one where he finds out just truly how annoying he really is when he has to deal with himself and his copy & paste posts on C&C. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

^ Not all Horner or Goldsmith scores captivate everyone's attention for the whole duration; plus there are composers today who can sometimes fill this bill, like Giacchino or Philippe Rombi for instance; Talking about exaggerated comments…

Read every word: I didn't say ALL Goldsmith and Horner scores, I said "most" of their scores. Yes, Goldsmith still has Criminal Law and Horner still has Bopha but those are minorities.

And I didn't mean to imply they were the only ones. Giacchino isn't among my faves but I can see how many people believe he's an expert as sustaining the attention for a whole score. I'd rather point to John Barry and Powell, JNH, Trevor Jones, Zimmer... Those guys are usually pretty good at consistency.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think this is bull shit and will lead to the continuing degradation of film score albums.

Acutally, this is really a damn good idea and I'm really happy to see Intrada leading the way!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    lol.

Well I just had a thought: I know I just dissed the 2-Disc presentation of Star Trek III on another thread, calling the 2nd disc unnecessary, but perhaps these "Disc 1: Full Score, Disc 2: Original Album Presentation" things is the way to go after all. It makes us pay a few bucks more each time, but then everyone of us (whether it's Thor and me or the rest of the world) has the perfect pick to choose from, and they can just ignore the other disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote
    lol.

Well I just had a thought: I know I just dissed the 2-Disc presentation of Star Trek III on another thread, calling the 2nd disc unnecessary, but perhaps these "Disc 1: Full Score, Disc 2: Original Album Presentation" things is the way to go after all. It makes us pay a few bucks more each time, but then everyone of us (whether it's Thor and me or the rest of the world) has the perfect pick to choose from, and they can just ignore the other disc.

I think it's a reasonable compromise, but you're effectively paying an extra $5 or $10 to avoid the tiny hassle of having to rearrange the tracks yourself.

This approach is what I've been proposing for at least five years. Amazed it's taken so long to happen but VERY pleased that it has. Hope it's successful and the other labels follow suit and we can go back to having proper albums again.

(I should say that there's a distinction here between a "deluxe" version of a score which has previously been released, where the listening experience is clearly not the first priority since the best album has usually already been released, and something being released for the first time.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I've no idea what the CD is going to be, but I just read perhaps the most welcome news I've seen about a limited edition soundtrack CD in years. FINALLY - one of the labels remembered how to produce a proper album. I will be celebrating long into the night.

From Roger Feigelson:

"Just some info on this release. This is the first album where we are introducing the new format. It is divided into two parts. "The Album" features a program that serves the music best. "The Extras" features a program of all the extra stuff that didn't really add to the listening experience or took away from it. The notes will indicate the C&C sequence for those who want to rearrange in iTunes or cut a CD-R for that program."

Excellent idea, one I've long advocated. However, I'm worried that this will lead to more expensive albums down the road. Because one thing is a relatively short score that can stand up to an album presentation and the extra tracks within an 80-minute album. If it runs longer, however, it will be spread across more CD's and hence more expensive to produce and purchase.

But at least it's better than having the album production first and then the whole score - including a repeat of the album tracks - on other discs. We save the "duplicate tracks", so to speak.

So yeah, definitely a step in the right direction (should it become a norm). It's not as good as having only the album presentation, but it's better than having both the album presentation AND the C&C. And of course a million times better than JUST the C&C.

Oh, and I'm also kinda proud - in a twisted kind of way - that the 'C&C' abbreviation I coined a few years ago now seems to be part of film music lingo, much scorned as it may be.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, Southall, where did you read that Feigelson quote?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Oh, and I'm also kinda proud - in a twisted kind of way - that the 'C&C' abbreviation I coined a few years ago now seems to be part of film music lingo, much scorned as it may be.

And it's something I vow never to use. Not because you coined it or anything, but because I hate abbreviations. (The only one I generally use is JNH.)

Also, giving it an abbreviation makes it more of a big deal that it is. I've never had an issue with complete scores as I enjoy making my own albums from them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thor wrote
    So yeah, definitely a step in the right direction (should it become a norm). It's not as good as having only the album presentation, but it's better than having both the album presentation AND the C&C. And of course a million times better than JUST the C&C.

Well, I wouldn't call it "better." More universally accepted perhaps but there are still trolls like me who'd pick C&C anytime and believe that presenting both on two CDs is the better compromise. But of course they'd have to be reasonable with the price. I think charging an extra $5 is ok, but not $10. I have not been happy with Intrada's 2-CD releases of $30.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, I wouldn't call it "better." More universally accepted perhaps but there are still trolls like me who'd pick C&C anytime and believe that presenting both on two CDs is the better compromise. But of course they'd have to be reasonable with the price. I think charging an extra $5 is ok, but not $10. I have not been happy with Intrada's 2-CD releases of $30.

The solidaritstic, compromising side of me condones both aspects too. However, the pragmatic side dictates that I can only prefer what is, you know, my preference. And in that respect I have to be egoistic and say that the BEST alternative would be ONLY the album presentation. But as long as that is only a farfetched dream, I think the suggestion by Intrada is as close as I can come.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Am I the only one who'd like to know what the actual music on the CD is gonna be before passing any kind of judgement? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    It's just that the completist in me cringes at the thought of unreleased music sitting on a shelf forever. And since fans have different levels of tolerance or standpoints on "seeing the big picture of a score" versus to "sticking to highlights", it's terrible to think that those unreleased tracks might have enhanced the listening experience of fans, even if it's a minority.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Am I the only one who'd like to know what the actual music on the CD is gonna be before passing any kind of judgement? confused

But we're talking principles here, dude! PRINCIPLES!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

That's crazy talk.