• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Cool. cool
  2. ^^ I especially like the main theme. It sounds like the build-up to some big boss battle on a video game...
  3. Salt - Newton Howard

What does it say about me that I like this more than The Last Airbender?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Everyone makes a big deal over "Journey to the Line" but I absolutely adore "Light". Layers of strings never fail to warm my heart.

Watch the movie smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Salt - Newton Howard

Not good stuff wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. plindboe wrote
    Btw, Bregt and Thomas Glorieux it's great that I can finally find MT's reviews via http://www.filmmuziek.be/search.cgi?

I always search my reviews through there, so it was a nice surprise to find Thomas' Transformers review through that search thingy.

Peter smile

Funny, but I've never heard of it. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    Btw, Bregt and Thomas Glorieux it's great that I can finally find MT's reviews via http://www.filmmuziek.be/search.cgi?

I always search my reviews through there, so it was a nice surprise to find Thomas' Transformers review through that search thingy.

Peter smile

Cool! I didn't knew. Glad to see that and I contacted Arvid for that. It's a useful engine.
    Kazoo
  5. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

That's cool! I always use that search engine if I want to look up something rare / unknown.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I saw The Killer and Hard-Boiled. Both great music. I think I know why he picked Horner for Windtalkers. The Killer uses Red Heat quite a lot.

Red Cliff (I saw only the Western version though) was also very good.

The Killer and Hard Boiled are great action films, wish they would receive a remastered soundtrack though. The mono mix on both films is seriously underwhelming and flat compared to what the U.S. can provide soundwise.

Red Cliff I and II are easily on the kickass level of Face Off, with enormous attention to character development and relationships (too much at times cheesy ) and incredible battle scenes. I saw the nearly 5 hour version of this and having it truncated to half of that for western audiences I think they mostly omitted those long character and dialogue scenes. But those do add a lot of depth to the characters and their motivations. Love the whole build-up to the final battle in fact.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    My favorite track as well, along with Stone in My Heart. Why do people never talk about those two?

Probably because they haven't been "revisited" much since. Parts of Inception and The Last Samurai sound like "Journey to the Line".

At least two tracks from Inception are modelled after Stone in My Heart though. Last Samurai's A Hard Teacher does feature quite a bit of references to Light.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole - David Hirschfelder

A heroic main theme , beautiful choral accompaniment , bombastic moments - this score has it all and was a pleasant surprise !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorLars
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I saw The Killer and Hard-Boiled. Both great music. I think I know why he picked Horner for Windtalkers. The Killer uses Red Heat quite a lot.

Red Cliff (I saw only the Western version though) was also very good.

The Killer and Hard Boiled are great action films, wish they would receive a remastered soundtrack though. The mono mix on both films is seriously underwhelming and flat compared to what the U.S. can provide soundwise.

Red Cliff I and II are easily on the kickass level of Face Off, with enormous attention to character development and relationships (too much at times cheesy ) and incredible battle scenes. I saw the nearly 5 hour version of this and having it truncated to half of that for western audiences I think they mostly omitted those long character and dialogue scenes. But those do add a lot of depth to the characters and their motivations. Love the whole build-up to the final battle in fact.

Red Cliff is also very good. I have seen only the western version but i liked it a lot. The actors were good and the camera work was fantastic. The score by Taro Iwashiro was also very good. Beautiful Main Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In honour of Valentine's Day, NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Dark, violent and unrelentingly bleak. As much as I enjoy a lot of his more mainstream compositions, I swear I still find this the man's best work! A gutsy, uncompromising approach to a subject matter rather forgotten by the US (and pretty much ignored by the rest of the world).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. That's Zimmer's creative intelligence at his best, yes. Doesn't top Thin Red Line for me, but he set out to show the horror of war and boy, did he do that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    In honour of Valentine's Day, NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Dark, violent and unrelentingly bleak. As much as I enjoy a lot of his more mainstream compositions, I swear I still find this the man's best work! A gutsy, uncompromising approach to a subject matter rather forgotten by the US (and pretty much ignored by the rest of the world).

Awwww, how quaint, the last of the great romantics eh? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I shudder to think anybody would listen to Barry this day... Oh the horror !!!! freezing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or Delerue...or Kilar...or Legrand...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Time Machine - Russell Garcia

One of my all time favourite movies with a most wonderful score !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    More in celebration of Valentine's Day: Cannibal Holocaust - Riz Ortolani

Aside from the lovely, gentle main theme, this is terrible, eclectic seventies nonsense, best to be forgotten quickly.

Switching to Miklos Rozsa's Sodom & Gomorra (on the Digitmovie label. which is a far superior version to the earlier Cambria one). Not Rozsa's best, but it's still Rozsa, in a pretty dark and ponderous mood. This score is better than I remembered, though!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

Aside from the lovely, gentle main theme, this is terrible, eclectic seventies nonsense, best to be forgotten quickly.

The track "Crucified woman" is lovely and gentle as well. I also think the theme heard in "Adulteress' punishment" is quite good. It's kinda scary and strange.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Switching to Miklos Rozsa's Sodom & Gomorra (on the Digitmovie label. which is a far superior version to the earlier Cambria one). Not Rozsa's best, but it's still Rozsa, in a pretty dark and ponderous mood. This score is better than I remembered, though!

If I remember right, Rozsa's score is about the best thing of the movie.

Never heard the Ortolani score...any good?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Time Machine - Russell Garcia

One of my all time favourite movies with a most wonderful score !

It's a film that never fails to make feel 'warm & fuzzy', a real "comfort" film if you will, fabulous score too, Filby's theme never fails to move me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    If I remember right, Rozsa's score is about the best thing of the movie.

I honestly couldn't say, never having seen the film. smile
    The soundtrack is not a "must hear", but it's still very, very good, especially now it's presented as well as it is on Digitmovie. I held off buying that as I have owned the Cambria edition for many years, and it never did anything for me. Goes to show what a proper production (including editing and cleaning up) will do!

Apparently Peter likes it a lot better than I do.
    To me it's generic seventies hogwash.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmmmm? Maybe I should see the movie?

Cannibal Holocaust....

Maybe not. wink
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Everyone makes a big deal over "Journey to the Line" but I absolutely adore "Light". Layers of strings never fail to warm my heart.

Watch the movie smile

Already seen it, and loved it. I liked it more than Saving Private Ryan, film and score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

I'm sure you'll enjoy some of the tracks.

Has a superb main theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8
    This track is also a real gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQamlINx3Yc
    And I like this eerie string theme, though the electronic sounds are a bit silly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N42H2cvbcY

The rest ranges from atrocious to ok, with a few extremely dated and cheesy tracks.

Timmer wrote
    Hmmmmmm? Maybe I should see the movie?

Cannibal Holocaust....

Maybe not. wink

Good instincts. It's got to be one of the worst movies ever made, even though it's often hailed as one of the best horror films of all time. Stay far away from it.

Peter smile
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Watch the movie smile

Already seen it, and loved it. I liked it more than Saving Private Ryan, film and score.

Shameless self-promotion, if you are interested in my thoughts on that score, I recommend the article I wrote some time ago, it's here on MainTitles.

Some of my theories when it comes to composing process were proven wrong in direct conversation with Hans Zimmer, I'll happily answer questions here.
  11. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

hooray, we are famous wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. LINK - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Quirky, unpretentious and ultimately unremarkable... but I like the mostly electronic sound, which is synth drum based and features an array of wacky sound effects. It makes for a somewhat cool listen, but then I'm a sucker for 80s Goldsmith. Hey it's still more interesting than a lot of the stuff I'm hearing these days. At least Link has a fun theme and a few attempts at creating melodies, though it's far removed from the orchestral delights of his better scores, of which there are a lot. But since this is my first listen, I'm actually pleasantly surprised it isn't a dreadful bore. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Salt - Newton Howard

That you don't like the music that JNH wrote for The Last Airbender?

I mean, there were some really good tracks in Salt.