• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams In honour of Valentine's Day
    Spiderman 3 - Christopher Young Good score, although a bit more in your face than Elfman ever was.
    Mao's Last Dancer Strong work by Gordon, I was not expecting so much classical source music though.
    The Illusionist - Philip Glass One of his best film scores and one of the best of 2006.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011
    NP : THE UNTOUCHABLES - Ennio Morricone

A masterpiece IMO, and a great valentine's day score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The truth about Ruth

Have played this track now 50 times in a row, since so many people called it one of the best tracks of 2010. I don't get what's good about it. Just sounds like the usual Desplat.

Peter smile

It's all about the layers. Desplat builds this great piece with twinkling chimes, harp and strings... very mysterious... then the choppy low strings show up and you wonder what's up? The low bass line from the main theme then begins to show its face. Desplat takes the strings up the scale and then the layers of the main theme start to show up one element at a time until everything finally comes together highlight by the sweeping strings close to the end of the track where everything is fully realized with a wonderful climax. Oh man... what a satisfying track. The first thing I think of is James Horner when I hear this cue. He is the master of building upon the layers of the orchestra that finish with brilliant climaxes and Desplat's cue is just as masterful! You really have to see the scene this cue accompanies because the score is the star of that scene... it takes a hold of the film at that point and runs with it. Brilliant scoring! As matter of fact...

Having listened to this track some more times with your post in mind I do appreciate it alot more. I initially considered deleting it, but now I'm happy to have it. It's not the kind of cue that will become one of my favourites of 2010, but I do enjoy much more now than I first did.

I should see the movie again. Must admit that I didn't really notice the music when I first saw it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE UNTOUCHABLES - Ennio Morricone

A masterpiece IMO, and a great valentine's day score cool

IMOT punk

Peter smile

PS. IMOT = In my opinion too
  1. I just played Charlotte's Web - Danny Elfman

I really enjoy this score. I really like when Elfman goes all Americana. This score is like a nice mix between his Sommersby/Black Beauty side and his older more fantastical side (Edward Scissorhands). You can totally see his growth as a composer since those early days, though. There's so much going on here - just listen to that first track. The orchestration is really busy, complex, and fun. And I LOVE the choir moment that happens about 2:30 into "Wilbur's Homecoming." Overall, I give this score **** and consider it one of my top 5 personal favorites from Elfman.

Before that was The Black Dahlia - Mark Isham

Isham's "mournful" trumpet playing here is tops. It has to be the sultriest thing I've heard in a film score. I enjoy this score, though I don't love it. I prefer Isham's more peaceful scores, but I surely respect this score as being in a different league than those scores. **** from me.

In a related note, Isham has a free download of six of what he considers his most romantic compositions available on his website right now. It includes the excellent track "Dwight and Kay" from The Black Dahlia as well as several others. The biggest surprise for me was a track called "Beauty Lives Here." It's quite nice and I had never heard it before. I can't seem to find the soundtrack that it's from. Anybody know anything about this track? I've wondered if it's an original composition not attached to any film? Anyway, it's free, so anyone curious should check it out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    I just played Charlotte's Web - Danny Elfman

I really enjoy this score. I really like when Elfman goes all Americana. This score is like a nice mix between his Sommersby/Black Beauty side and his older more fantastical side (Edward Scissorhands). You can totally see his growth as a composer since those early days, though. There's so much going on here - just listen to that first track. The orchestration is really busy, complex, and fun. And I LOVE the choir moment that happens about 2:30 into "Wilbur's Homecoming." Overall, I give this score **** and consider it one of my top 5 personal favorites from Elfman.

I love the track "The plan begins", especially when the choir enters half way through (2:14-2:19 for some reason is a highlight to me).

Need to devote some more time on it though. I'm sure it has alot more quality than I currently realize.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That's pretty much my favorite Elfman score...and I know exactly the moment you mean Peter smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
  2. NP: Race To The Edge of World - Andes To Amazon (Nicholas Hooper)

Amazing! I always though that Hooper was very underrated, and this is the proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7DHrcL … ture=feedf
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've been discovering that score recently and it makes me hope Hooper comes back and writes more music in that genre, he's really good at it, I love all the variations he makes on his theme in that score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    I've been discovering that score recently and it makes me hope Hooper comes back and writes more music in that genre, he's really good at it, I love all the variations he makes on his theme in that score.

Yeah. Also, there's a score from him for the movie The Heart Of Me. It's basicly strings, piano and a french horn and timpani. But the main theme is wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkZefH6vYg
  4. plindboe wrote
    I love the track "The plan begins", especially when the choir enters half way through (2:14-2:19 for some reason is a highlight to me).

Cool moment! I went back and listened again to see exactly what you meant. Isn't it funny how tiny little pieces of a score become favorite moments? I'll fall in love with a little line from one instrument in a score that really stands out to me and play it for my wife and say "isn't that cool?!?" and she'll roll her eyes ('cuz she knows I'm like this) and say "sure, hon." For example, there's this wonderful moment in Georges Delerue's Rich in Love during the track "Time to Move On" where some really high woodwind (is that a clarinet?) plays these three ascending notes and then three descending notes that are just beautiful. It starts at about 1:53 or 1:54. Every time I hear those notes I'm so moved! From there until the end of the track is just sublime, but it's really those few seconds that get me the most.

The choir moment I was talking about from Charlotte's Web is in track 17, from about 2:32-3:05. It's my favorite moment of that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: I’d rather be a Shellfish - Joe Hisaishi

This is the kind of music I enjoy, great score, one of my favorite scores from 2008 beer cool
  5. Wonderful score, Cristian, I agree.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. THE MUMMY RETURNS - ALAN SILVESTRI

Awesome old-school scoring. Can't believe it has already been 10 years since this one released. Silvestri in top form. punk

Many good scores written that year. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TOUCH - Basil Poledouris

A lovely score, great percussion and gorgeous themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Crysis II - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Wow, huge step up from the generic banality of MW2. Still in my first listen of this. Minimal thematic material. Less synthetic in nature. There are some actually good orchestral writing in here, like in "Sinister Breed". I can't say how close it is to Zimmer's previous stuff, but you do hear some stylistic touches here and there. For now, there's enough to sustain my interest for the remainder of the album.
  7. lp wrote

Wow, huge step up from the generic banality of MW2. Still in my first listen of this. Minimal thematic material. Less synthetic in nature. There are some actually good orchestral writing in here, like in "Sinister Breed". I can't say how close it is to Zimmer's previous stuff, but you do hear some stylistic touches here and there. For now, there's enough to sustain my interest for the remainder of the album.

QFT. I'm on Flooded Streets - Aquarium now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

Shadowzone is pretty nice, and it leads to a few nice tracks like "Alien Suite" and "Unsafe Haven", and are about 60-70% orchestral too.
  8. Times Square Evacuation is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry

cool
  9. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

Shadowzone is pretty nice, and it leads to a few nice tracks like "Alien Suite" and "Unsafe Haven", and are about 60-70% orchestral too.

Walk in the Park - is it me or someone listened to Aliens? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Times Square Evacuation is great.

Ditto. Sounds extremely Epic, with that nice Dodd-like brass sound.

PawelStroinski wrote

Walk in the Park - is it me or someone listened to Aliens? biggrin

I think everyone listened to Aliens at one time or another.

Resolution (Reprise) is another good one. Is that a theme I hear?

Epilogue has a pretty nice theme in it. You first hear it in the Insertion track. Shame that the score doesn't feature very much of it.

Sneak and Shoot is pretty good too.
  10. NP: Chosen One - Largo Winch (Desplat)

Cool. I love the "Largo's childhood" theme, my favorite theme of the score. I hope Desplat uses it in the sequel, if it's possible. Also, I love his use of the cimbalom.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited
    Frances - John Barry

Somewhere in Time 2.0

Not that I prefer Somewhere in Time to this, but you know exactly where the roots of Frances came from.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  11. Kenji Kawai - Ghost in the Shell

A masterpiece. Meditative, restrained, carefully built atmosphere, bells, percussion, electronics and a choir. Beautiful work, but ambient and slow, for those who don't like such a style. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote

Cool moment! I went back and listened again to see exactly what you meant. Isn't it funny how tiny little pieces of a score become favorite moments?

Hehe, indeed; just a couple of seconds and it becomes the highlight of the track and what you're looking forward to the most whenever you play it, with everything that precedes it being build-up to The Moment.

christopher wrote
    I'll fall in love with a little line from one instrument in a score that really stands out to me and play it for my wife and say "isn't that cool?!?" and she'll roll her eyes ('cuz she knows I'm like this) and say "sure, hon."

biggrin

christopher wrote
    For example, there's this wonderful moment in Georges Delerue's Rich in Love during the track "Time to Move On" where some really high woodwind (is that a clarinet?) plays these three ascending notes and then three descending notes that are just beautiful. It starts at about 1:53 or 1:54. Every time I hear those notes I'm so moved! From there until the end of the track is just sublime, but it's really those few seconds that get me the most.

Yes, that's such a gorgeous track, especially when the clarinet takes over. The three notes doesn't really stand out to me yet, but I guess it's often a highly personal thing.

christopher wrote
    The choir moment I was talking about from Charlotte's Web is in track 17, from about 2:32-3:05. It's my favorite moment of that score.

Wonderful and magical moment indeed. Pure Elfman.

Peter smile
  12. NP: The Friends - Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)

Gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry

cool

A brilliant score, superb and original choral writing, what a shame it's so overused in much of today's scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAN'S LABYRINTH - Javier Navarette

I think this is a superb score, lovely.