• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    Are you planning on staying up all night?

Yep. Have done that for years now every time the show is on.

Peter smile

there was a time I did that as well, ... in a time the Oscars for best music still stood for quality
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

there was a time I did that as well, ... in a time the Oscars for best music still stood for quality

What decade was that? There's always been controversial choices, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, Midnight Express, Chariots of fire....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I believe I only stayed up once for the entire show and that was 98 ceremony, when Titanic won big. I still have fond memories of that show. And in that case Horner wrote something which deserved the bloody statue.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Do you have some German stations there? Pro7 is renowned for broadcasting the Oscars.

We do have some foreign channels, but I don't really know which ones yet. I'll look through them all and see if I can find Pro7, thanks.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

I don't think it ever stood for quality. I'm sure there has been undeserving choices since the beginning.

In any case, I usually don't care who wins anyway, and I don't get why some people take it so seriously. I watch the show because there are tons of film music references, and it's a show where film music gets alot of deserved attention.

Peter smile
  3. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

What decade was that? There's always been controversial choices, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, Midnight Express, Chariots of fire....

at least it felt better back then tongue
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    I hope Hans Zimmer (Incepction is the best of the nominated scores) or Alexandre Desplat (he is the best of the nominated composers now) win, but I think "The social network" will win. For these reason, I will not see the Awards. But maybe, I´m wrong.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    I believe I only stayed up once for the entire show and that was 98 ceremony, when Titanic won big. I still have fond memories of that show. And in that case Horner wrote something which deserved the bloody statue.

I've never seen Titanic , I can't stand DiCaprio !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. When Desplat wins Original Score, I will shout from the rooftops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    No night noises Kevin !
    Think about the neighbours ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    When Desplat wins Original Score, I will shout from the rooftops.

as long as you don't stutter
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    I´ll shout "HORRORRRRRRRR" when win "The social network
  6. Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I believe I only stayed up once for the entire show and that was 98 ceremony, when Titanic won big. I still have fond memories of that show. And in that case Horner wrote something which deserved the bloody statue.

I've seen Titanic 10 times, I can stand Kate and Leo.

For me it's the whole tragedy of that night that speaks to me. I can experience this film endlessly, and unlike general knowledge will say, Titanic is NOT a chick flick.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. kilar30 wrote
    I´ll shout "HORRORRRRRRRR" when win "The social network

You should play 'The Ring of Fire' from Bram Stoker's Dracula for all the neighbours to hear in case it wins. wink
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I've seen Titanic 10 times, I can stand Kate and Leo.

For me it's the whole tragedy of that night that speaks to me. I can experience this film endlessly, and unlike general knowledge will say, Titanic is NOT a chick flick.

Titanic is a good film, but Kate & Leo were MUCH better in Revolutionary Road.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think the film is very good though I didn't find DiCaprio very believable in it, since then I think he's gone on to become one of the best actors around, very talented IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I was very anti-DiCaprio when Titanic came out. Catch Me If You Can was the role that won me over. He is extremely convincing both as a very young Frank Abignail and as a middle-age Frank Abignail. It's frankly amazing to me how drasticly that character changes during the film and how well Leo pulls it off.
  10. His part in This Boy's Life when he was still a kid stands among his most incredible performances. The way he is able to stand his ground alongside the legend that is Robert De Niro is what made me like the guy since that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    I was very anti-DiCaprio when Titanic came out.

I think 99% of guys felt that way after Romeo+Juliet and Titanic, as he just seemed like a talentless prettyboy. That said, he was actually quite good playing a retard in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

christopher wrote
    Catch Me If You Can was the role that won me over. He is extremely convincing both as a very young Frank Abignail and as a middle-age Frank Abignail. It's frankly amazing to me how drasticly that character changes during the film and how well Leo pulls it off.

Indeed, that was a great performance.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    I was very anti-DiCaprio when Titanic came out.

I think 99% of guys felt that way after Romeo+Juliet and Titanic, as he just seemed like a talentless prettyboy. That said, he was actually quite good playing a retard in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Absolutely. So I was already aware of his talent early on (the film is also one of the first I saw him in). However, I've never really been able to see beyond his "boyish charm"-type persona - despite an array of different roles. He's great in that kind of role (like TITANIC or CATCH ME IF YOU CAN), but falls a bit through when he tries to take on roles with more gravitas (like THE DEPARTED).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I just saw The departed a few days ago and I thought his performance was flawless.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    I was very anti-DiCaprio when Titanic came out. Catch Me If You Can was the role that won me over. He is extremely convincing both as a very young Frank Abignail and as a middle-age Frank Abignail. It's frankly amazing to me how drasticly that character changes during the film and how well Leo pulls it off.
    absolutely 100 % agree !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won...meh. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    ^

I seriously cannot figure out how people get so worked up about this.
  12. "Best Score at the #Oscars should be announced first & then used as the wrap up music. See if people still like it at the end of the show."

LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    I think the How To Train Your Dragon was the best by far. I'm really sorry Powell sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LOL! A film score that was not even a score but just the continuation of some of Trent's library music, won!

applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LSH wrote
    ^
    I seriously cannot figure out how people get so worked up about this.

I am genuinely curious how nominations and wins actually come to pass.
    I think everybody knows the rules, but I'd love to read a book or something on how things are really going on. My pet theory is that nobody really cares beyond just the Big Four (picture, director, actor, actress) and for any category just votes for the film they liked best, but it'd be interesting to see how much influence is exerted by lobbyists from film companies and other stakeholders.

Not that I'm expecting some massive exposé. It'd just be interesting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Expected win, but that doesn't diminish the hilariousness of it!
    biggrin
  13. Well, what you probably know already is that the branches only nominate, the whole academy votes for every category.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website