• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited
    Film music festival in Birmingham, from 19 to 23 July (overlapping a few days of Ubeda):
    http://www.cbso.co.uk/?page=filmfestival

Programme:
    21st-Century Soundtracks
    Tuesday 19 July, 7.30pm at Symphony Hall
    The CBSO celebrates the best of today's British movie talent in a spectacular concert featuring music from Slumdog Millionaire, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean and lots more.

NYJO: Jazz in Film - Live
    Thursday 21 July, 7.30pm at Town Hall
    The National Youth Jazz Orchestra presents a night of jazz-influenced film scores, including themes and arrangements from Austin Powers, Dirty Harry and more.

John Williams Blockbusters
    Friday 22 July, 7.30pm at Symphony Hall
    Experience the thrills of John Williams's film scores - from Star Wars to Jurassic Park - as the CBSO plays a blockbuster concert of his very greatest themes.

Sir Anthony Hopkins Sir Anthony Hopkins - In Concert
    Saturday 23 July, 7.30pm at Symphony Hall
    Spend an evening with one of the world's greatest living screen actors, as Sir Anthony Hopkins joins the CBSO on stage for a very special evening of live music and conversation.

Has anyone been there before? It doesn't sound that spectacular right now, and it doesn't look like there's much festival atmosphere. I see it's not that far from London, about 2 hours by train? Is it a nice city?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    As Anthony Hopkins is my second favourite actor of all time, that's a draw for me right there. But probably not enough.

I wonder how this compares to the annual film music festival in Cardiff, which is about the same time, if memory serves?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Funny but I don't remember either of these festivals before.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Birmingham? I'll let Lee (LSH) give you the skinny on that. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alan, the one in Cardiff has been around for a few years:

http://www.soundtrackfilmfestival.com/

The Birmingham one is brand new, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, first time it's been done in Birmingham. I will probably go to the Williams concert and the Hopkins evening. It's only about 30 miles from where I live. Anyone else coming?
  2. I'll certainly be looking into it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I'm interested yes, but if I can make myself available that's another question
    but it sure sounds interesting
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm interested yes, but if I can make myself available that's another question

Don't you have enough trouble getting time off for Ubeda?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011
    Both festivals are overlapping, but I would be impressed if he can arrange for both!
    Kazoo
  4. Each of the 4 nights has something worth seeing.
  5. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm interested yes, but if I can make myself available that's another question

Don't you have enough trouble getting time off for Ubeda?

well it will be one of the 2, I can't do both indeed smile
    considering we have Williams, London (a lot easier to get to) and probably a cheaper investment makes Birmingham the winner so far

the problem is work, and today we already had a small fight concerning our vacation plannings
    can't wait for tomorrow punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011 edited
    21 July is a National holiday here, so it could be doable to attend the three last concerts with just one day of vacation Thomas.

Is there much to see and visit in and around Birmingham?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011
    Bregt wrote
    21 July is a National holiday here, so it could be doable to attend the three last concerts with just one day of vacation Thomas.

Despite having been there numerous times I'm not really familiar with Birmingham at all ( but then, it is a BIG city ), as I said earlier, Lee ( LSH ) is the man to ask.

I expect to make one of the days, Birmingham or Cardiff makes little difference travel wise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope Lee isn't in Laos then!
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt wrote

indeed, so it could be done
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It just doesn't really have a festival atmosphere so far. There's nothing to do besides the concerts as far as the website tells me. Not sure if the city is that interesting to explore for three days...?
    Kazoo
  7. I am sure there are plenty of pubs!
  8. And there is an International Jazz Festival from 16th-25th July.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! Lots to do and drink. But it's so ...big.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    It just doesn't really have a festival atmosphere so far. There's nothing to do besides the concerts as far as the website tells me. Not sure if the city is that interesting to explore for three days...?

I would bring your camping gear and spend a couple days in Wales rather than explore birmingham.

I think it says a lot that Lee has continual dreams of it being bombed to bits wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Birmingham is quite a nice city, been modernised a lot in recent years, lots of redevelopment. Great nightlife. Not sure how much there is to do during the day though. Heading into Wales during the day would actually be a good idea, but I guess it might not be so easy to get there.

We could all climb up Snowdon together... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … =595637510
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh man, don't tempt me with such things (I've never been to Wales nor Birmingham)....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh yes! Snowdonia. I'd love to go! I clearly had my geographics wrong. It's 'quite' close, about 200km.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It says "The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra brings you the UK's only major film music festival,
    with blockbuster favourites, screenings, talks & celebrity guests." So I guess there's stuff to do besides concerts.

It also says "the CBSO presents the UK's only major Film Music Festival", so perhaps there's none in Cardiff then?
    Kazoo
  9. Southall wrote
    Birmingham is quite a nice city, been modernised a lot in recent years, lots of redevelopment. Great nightlife. Not sure how much there is to do during the day though. Heading into Wales during the day would actually be a good idea, but I guess it might not be so easy to get there.

We could all climb up Snowdon together... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … =595637510

That would be excellent. I've been looking for someone who actually knows the best track to use to ascent the peak (is that the correct terminology?)

If we could decide which concerts to target (I'd like to go to them all: each one has something to offer, but going to them all would be impractical) then we could do some walking and maybe pop in at my place for some refreshments.
  10. Southall wrote

sure looks spectacular
  11. let's see... we already had an John Williams concert in Ghent. We already had a few all round "soundtracks in concert" concerts with the usual tracks. I'm not into Jazz... so that leaves Hopkins?

M.
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    It says "The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra brings you the UK's only major film music festival,
    with blockbuster favourites, screenings, talks & celebrity guests." So I guess there's stuff to do besides concerts.

It also says "the CBSO presents the UK's only major Film Music Festival", so perhaps there's none in Cardiff then?

The website for the Cardiff festival (see link above) says the festival had a hiatus in 2010, but will return this year.

I'm pretty confident that the Birmingham arrangers are simply not aware of the Cardiff festival. Which is a bit weird, since it's been around for some years now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall