• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

Orchestrated and conducted by David Bedford. Brilliant work, the only shame is that it's recorded at such a low volume, there are parts in this that are so powerful but you have to crank the volume right up, at times you have to strain to hear the quieter parts. I love this orchestral version and I wish someone would rerecord it.....properly!

Orchestral Hergest Ridge too please!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

Orchestrated and conducted by David Bedford. Brilliant work, the only shame is that it's recorded at such a low volume, there are parts in this that are so powerful but you have to crank the volume right up, at times you have to strain to hear the quieter parts. I love this orchestral version and I wish someone would rerecord it.....properly!

Orchestral Hergest Ridge too please!

Gods YES Jim! Unless someone with clout champions it it would seem unlikely though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014
    NP: BEST OF ELECTRONIC DISCO (Giorgio Moroder)

Nothing better to get one in the mood! These are remastered and remixed versions of famous Moroder tracks that are both retro and hip at the same time. Fantastic!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Oxygene 7-13 (1997) - Jean Michel Jarre

I remember this got a somewhat lukewarm reception in Germany back then. I think it's a great album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Some songs by Udo Jürgens

The most popular chansonnier of German language just turned 80 these days. He has wirtten hits for Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Matt Monro and Shirley Bassey. I'm no great fan of German Schlager and all the hype that is taking place here currently is putting me rather off. That notwithstanding: The man has written some really terrific songs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    NP : IT'S NEARLY TOMORROW - Craig Armstrong

Really lovely. Great album!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    want
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Prokofiev Classical Symphony, a tribute to earlier masters Haydn, Handel, Mozart.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    want

It's very good D. I listened on Spotify.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014
    Concerto for Saxophone and Orchestra - Michael Kamen

This is really fantastic. Decided to listen to it on a whim, not being familiar with Kamen's music at all. Makes me want to track down more.
  3. NP: Hong Kong (1994) - Jean Michel Jarre (live)

The last of the regular albums of JMJ to find their way in to my collection. Since I am a huge fan of the Chronologie album I'm quite exited. What I have heard so far is great.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited
    Josh B wrote
    Concerto for Saxophone and Orchestra - Michael Kamen

This is really fantastic. Decided to listen to it on a whim, not being familiar with Kamen's music at all. Makes me want to track down more.

Check out the wonderful The New Moon In The Old Moon's Arms.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DARK PASTORAL FOR CELLO AND ORCHESTRA - Ralph Vaughan Williams

There are times for me when nothing else will do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Am I to assume, then, that you like the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On the subject of liking RVW. Never assume Thunderer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    Thor wrote

Hmmmmm?

NP : SYMPHONY # 9 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I have never listened to this one enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Nope! Bloody awful!

NP : JOB: A MASQUE FOR DANCING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think by now I have reached the conclusion that you like the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SICILIAN DEFENSE (The Alan Parsons Project)

Scrapped, instrumental album from the 80s that was recently restored and released in a huge APP box. It's not terribly good, but there are a couple of highlights.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. All that you have heard is true *
    The Man, the Music, the Madness, the Murder, the Motion Picture

NP: Amadeus (1984) - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    Neville Marriner & The Academy of St. Martin-in-the Field

A truly fantastic album.
    http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/m44i … 6E3hXh.jpg

* Well, not really.
  5. Anyone heard Arturo Rodríguez's "From Earth To Mars: A Symphonic Journey"?

I came across it after searching the composer. It's a grand orchestral piece with some excellent highlights. It's not as polished as your top-notch compositions but I think that it's a great little find.

It appears to be on Spotify and I recommend anyone interested have a listen. It reminds me a little of Alan Hovhaness...and a little (only a little) James Horner.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone heard Arturo Rodríguez's "From Earth To Mars: A Symphonic Journey"?

No I haven't but I am now.

NP : FROM EARTH TO MARS: A SYMPHONIC JOURNEY - Arturo Rodriguez

Not as polished? Sure! That makes it kind of raw and fresh IMO. This is bloody darned excellent! Thank you VERY much for the pointer Alan, I'm seriously enjoying this and I'm going to listen to this again tomorrow. You're spot on with the Alan Hovhaness influence and yes, I do hear Horner in this too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited
    I implore everyone else to give this a listen too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
    You've already sold me based on that description!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/t … athetique/

One that I've never listened to enough Tim. If you go to the review you can listen to the recording for free.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    This morning my selection is the symphony that Grieg wrote.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2014
    NP : LAKE IN THE WOODS - Robert Farnon

This is a lovely, impressionistic piece. Farnon is best known for his score to Captain Horatio Hornblower, the theme to BBC TV series Colditz and a multitude of light classics and library music.
  6. NP: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) - Pink Floyd featuring a certain Crazy Diamond

Amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) - Pink Floyd featuring a certain Crazy Diamond

Amazing.

This is an excellent album though I'm not as keen on Syd's years. There is no doubt that he was such a massive cog that we wouldn't have Floyd without him.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) - Pink Floyd featuring a certain Crazy Diamond

Amazing.

This is an excellent album though I'm not as keen on Syd's years. There is no doubt that he was such a massive cog that we wouldn't have Floyd without him.

Saturday night I a saw a documantary about the recording of Wish You Were Here. Syd Barrett's live was a fucking tragedy. He burned his brains out with acid.