• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Daft (1984) - Art of Noise

Classic!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Lan Lang: The Mozart Album (2014) - Wolfgang Amadé
    Piano Concerto 24 and 17
    Lang Lang, the Vienna Philharmonics, Nicolaus Harnoncourt on Sony Classical

My mother is a big fan of Lang Lang recently she catched a feature about this CD on TV. So this was an obvious christmas present. I quite like it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014
    Xmas is not complete without the Nutcracker and as part of my $.99 cent special CD's I found the suite that Tchaikovsky wrote. Not sure if you all know it but the entire ballet is twice as long, in fact it's two CD's.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Unusually I didn't play any festive classical today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk The Messiah punk
    Baroque's hard rock!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Williams' concert work is as avant-garde as it gets. The same goes for some of his scores, for example Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I especially like the solo pieces inspired by Rosewood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014 edited
    NP: REBEL (John Miles)

My kind of old-school prog/art rock, heavily inspired by Alan Parsons' producing influence (Miles performed on several of their songs later on). Too bad Miles didn't stick with this sound for more than a couple of albums and instead deteriorated into crappy 80s cheese pop.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    deteriorated into crappy 80s cheese pop.

I wouldn't have thought you'd even acknowledge that "crappy 80s cheese pop" exists, Thor! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2015
    NP : ( 1967 - 1970 ) - The Beatles

A feast of greatness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    [LIKE]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. The "Red" and the "Blue Album": The best best-of compilations in the history of pop music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The "Red" and the "Blue Album": The best best-of compilations in the history of pop music.

Hard to argue with that. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My dad had those on LP, and I copied them to cassettes in the late 80s or early 90s. Remember playing them quite a bit. I never re-bought them on CD, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. A friend of my big sister had the "blue" LP back in the 80s. There was a Beatles hype back then following the murder of John Lennon. Both, my sister and I, copied it from her.

I bought both anthologies on CD in 1993. I also had three albums on CD.

Later in 2009 I would buy all the remastered studio albums and the "Past Masters". In 2010 I would buy the compilations again. I gave the 1993 edition to my niece. I adore those "Remasters". One of the best projects of this vein. One reason those remasters stood out so much of course was that they did such a sloppy job on the original CD releases.

I also have the "Love" album that George Martin produced for Cirque du Soleil. Some really nice remixes there.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2015
    Wow, you're apparently a much bigger Beatles fan than I. Never a big fan myself, even though I was obviously exposed to their music from an early age -- them being what they are.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Actually I don't listen to their music all too often. These things came and go in waves. But those albums are cultural testaments. I like to see them sitting on the shelf. Indeed the Beatles CDs are among the few that I did not store away in a box. It's like the works of Sheakespeare or Goethe that I have on my book shelf without reading them every day.
  8. Symphonie Phantastique Hector Berlioz

Nomen est omen. smile
  9. The Best of Acoustic Jethro Tull

What a relaxed compilation of fine handmade music this one is. Ian Anderson rules!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015
    NP: IDENTITY (Zee)

Non-Pink Floyd spinoff project by Rick Wright that only lasted for this single album (only available on LP). Not terribly good, but intriguing.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Mike Oldfield The Platinum Collection (Compilation / Virgin)

For me it doesn't get better. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015 edited
    Speaking of Oldfield I was just listening to some PEKKA POHJOLA

The superb Finnish bass player/composer once did an album with Oldfield. It's bloody excellent too but unfortunately, I believe, hard to get. ( nothing on Spotify )

NP : KEESOJEN LEHTO - Pekka Pohjola

This is that album I had featuring Mike Oldfield ( it also features his sister, Sally ), I used to have it on LP too, here in the UK it was released by Virgin as a MIKE OLDFIELD album under the title THE CONSEQUENCES OF INDECISIONS ( and very hard it is to find too ).

My favourite track can be found at the 5 minute mark HERE with Pohjola playing Harpsicord followed by Sally Oldfield's wordless vocals and Mike's guitar, this is musical nirvana for me.

The whole album is great, maybe both Volker and Thor should check it out here on the YT post above, unfortunately the album isn't available on either artist catalogue on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2015
    THE ROCK from Rachmaninoff. An early work that borders slightly on the macabre. Been touched by this work for over 40 years.
    Tom
  11. ABBA

Going through all their albums hiting a song here and there. cool

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015
    Back to listening to Benjamin Britten, one of my favorite composers. Currently his Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015
    RUDORFF SYMPHONY NO. 3. A great little gem written in an era when Debussy, Ravel, and Stravinsky dominated
    Tom
  12. ^ Word!
  13. NP: Cello Concerto & Symphony No 22 "City of Light" by Alan Hovhaness

Stellar!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Cello Concerto & Symphony No 22 "City of Light" by Alan Hovhaness

Stellar!

Choice! cool
  14. NP: Ricochet (1975) - Tangerine Dream

Timmer mentioned this album occasionally as his introduction to TD. Yesterday's sad news about Froese's passing causes me to revisit this great live recording.

Volker
  15. NP: Voyager (1996) - Mike Oldfield

His Celtig album. Nice, but not among his best.